Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

16th December by train - beginners needing advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Have just found you guys and am hoping you will have some suggestions :
Have just discovered skiing after my 12 year old spent a week in Serre Chevalier with the school! Never too old so they say - so did 8 hours or so on dry ski slope at Bracknell with 17 year old, then the 3 of us (me plus 2 boys) had a great day in Sierra Nevada before Easter (my mum lives on Costa del Sol so we hope to get there again).
Now would love for all of us to go on a trip together - but husband works shifts with rigid pattern so its 16th or 23rd Dec only (feb and easter not poss and got to be in school hols).
French schools don't break up I think till 23rd so 16th looks better - cheaper - less crowded (budget not unlimited and husband doesn't do crowds - he's a walker/climber). We plan to get him on the dry slope soon so he arrives with a bit of the learning done.

And he doesn't do planes either!
Eurostar snow train looks not to start till 23rd Dec but am quite used to travelling by train across europe and without skis/boots crossing paris shouldn't be too bad. 2 out of 4 are a bit fussy on the food front so self catering seems a good bet - but not in a 'rabbit hutch'. I prefer sunshine but realise I can't be too fussy with all these other stipulations
Have done loads of reading and think these may be my best bets but would love some thoughts:

1. Val Thorens - but 16th Dec there is a snowboard competition I think - does this impact on beginners skiing?
2. Isola 2000 - ? loads of drag lifts tho
3. Courcheval - but ? the most expensive
4. La Rosiere

Thanks and sorry if its too long and you all give up before the end!! Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Late starter, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

In the last few years, Austria has done better than France for the early (pre-Christmas) snow (though of course this doesn't mean that that trend will continue). Have you considered that? Not sure on the train situation to Austria though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DIY train to that part of the world involves Eurostar to Paris Gare du Nord, 9 stops down Line5 on the Metro and then night train (sleeper) out of Gare d'Austerlitz. U can also take the RER to get a day train out of Gare de Lyon.

The only steps on this route to negotiate with luggage are out of/into the metro at Austerlitz (About 30-40 steps I think). There's a luggage consigné at Austerlitz in case you fancy wandering off for dinner.

Isola 2000 is in a different part of the Alpes from the other resorts u mention, all of which are easily accessable from the same train line. U might also consider Tignes as, with it's high altitude, it tends to be a little more snowsure than most.

I wouldn't have thought a snowBoard comp in VT would impact on beginners' skiing much, it be rather fun to watch too and yes, although very pretty, Courcheval is not cheap!

Re. La Rossiere. I'm sure there's someone around here knows a bit about it wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Late starter, Welcome! LDA is very handy by train. You can do Eurostar to Paris - 2 stops on the metro to the Gare de Lyon and about 3.75 hours to Grenoble. There are regular buses from Grenoble station to LDA. Total travel time from London to Grenoble is about 7 hours. We have guaranteed skiing as we do it in summer on the glacier - had you thought about that possibility? Your husband could then walk to his heart's content! 16th December should be fairly cheap, but the Eurostar is definitely loads cheaper on a Saturday when there aren't any business travellers. Try www.sncf.com for timetables etc.

Summer skiing is also brilliant BTW, and the glacier is not steep or difficult at all. www.les2alpes.com for the tourist office website and www.2alpes.com for the lift company. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hadn't thought of LDA - just loked at web sites - looks like there are some long green runs - thats what I am after tho boys looking more for blue (red???) I think.
Eeek summer skiing - what a temptation - not taking a big summer hol but long weekends may be possible.....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Late starter, my teenagers managed to get themselves across Paris to Austerlitz, and had dinner in the Station. It is probably a bit early in the season for Serre Chevalier (have an apartment there),although last Christmas was OK, and there is a direct sleeeper train to Briancon. It cost about 32 euros one way last December.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all this so far: would love to go to Austria as spent a year there age 18 (decades ago....) but it isn't great by train I think.
Is Tignes good for beginners? If so I'm getting spoilt for choice!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Late starter, welcome to snowheads.
Aspects of train travel to the Alps have been discussed a number of times before here: you may like to peruse:
snowtrain
booking rail online
people / cabin in snowtrain
Experience of SNCF sleeper service from Austerlitz to BSM?
Snowtrain comfort
Couchette from Paris

There are basically three train ways to the Alps:

1. The Snow Train comes in 2 guises, and only runs on Fridays (returning following Saturday):
White Train: Waterloo to Gare du Nord by Eurostar, then Gare du Nord to The Alps on The Snow Train with 6 berth couchettes and Disco Car.
Blue Train: Chartered coach from Folkestone through Eurotunnel to Calais, then coach transfer to Calais Ville train station where you board the SNCF overnight train to the Alps. (The Blue Train used to cross the channel by ferry, but this has now changed).
The SnowTrain is usually packed, largely taken over by punters going with Inghams or Thomsons or whatever. It is difficult to get on as a private individual. I would not travel on it unless I knew most of the other guys in the couchette. With a crowd of buddies the SnowTrain is great fun.

2. Eurostar Direct Ski Train. This also only runs at the weekend. There is a day train and a night train. You sit in a seat all the way - no couchettes. The Day Train is fine. The Night Train is purgatory.

3. Independent Travel via Gare D'Austerlitz . This is my favourite method. You can go any day you like. Day or night. For overnight travel (and the possibility of 8 days skiing): Eurostar to Paris - book early and go First Class for more room and dinner served with champagne. (Also recently realised there is a 3-pin plug in first class so you don't run down your laptop battery - now they just need to put in broadband and you can post all the way to Paris - bliss!). Then simple metro journey (or taxi if you have a lot of luggage) to Gare D'Austerlitz. Pleasant drink or two in the bar, and then onto Night Train - again go first class, for 4-berth couchette with sleeping bag and bottle of water.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Late starter, I don't know what the situation with train travel is but if you can book late at a reasonable price I would defer a decicion on where to go untill December. It is pretty early in the season and snow cover is often erratic at that time of the year and unpredictable; whereas you will certainly get some cover in Glacier resorts if the weather is Decemberish cold or windy a glacier may not be the most pleasant places to be. If they have snow cover lower resorts are often better at that time of the year with a bit of protection from trees.
If you are going the week before christmas a lot of resorts will have special offers of accomodation plus lift passes and occasionally lessons thrown in at a very reasonable prices, you can usually get this info from the tourist offices of the resorts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, Weather here was warmer in December than in March!!! Shocked Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, damn cold when we were in Serre Chevalier just before Christmas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Late starter - we have been to Val T a number of times early to mid December. If you are going with your 17 year old - they will love the night life - easily accessible for all Val T accommodation so it feels pretty safe for them to get back home compared to some places (our daughter adores the resort for this reason). There is loads of mixed ability skiing - and they usually open the 3 valleys link around the 16th - snow permitting. Because it is such a high resort even in the "lean years" if you were going to book anything early - it is a good bet - but as others say if you want to get the best snow conditions you need to wait. Not sure it is the easiest resort to get to though. We usually drive. Have fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

French schools don't break up I think till 23rd so 16th looks better

I think that's probably right. The early season snow is iffy, everywhere (and that INCLUDES Tignes, Val D'Isere and Val Thorens, by the way, all fairly rubbish in mid December 2005 and easily outdone by Austria). The advice to book late is good - nearer the time you will have an indication of snow fall, and snow forecast, but there should be plenty of choice and offers. One great advantage of choosing that week over the 23rd is that you will be spoilt for choice and don't have to book in advance for a place which may turn out to have very little snow. Although your boys are looking for more challenging ski slopes than yourselves (welcome to the club!) any resort should provide adequate ski-ing for you all. Crossing Paris just isn't an issue, even if you did have skis and boots. Just jump on the metro. Places like Val Thorens or La Rosiere are easy enough to get to if you hired a car at the other end. That would also give you some flexibility to travel round in search of snow.

Lots of other great possibilities - maybe you could go to LDA and have some lessons with easiski who comes highly recommended by loads of folks. One very important factor for people who come to ski-ing a bit late in life (I should know....) is quality of instruction, one of the key factors to think about. Have a great holiday. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great: hadn't thought of booking the Eurostar bit to Lille/Paris and then TGV to BSM/Nice/Moutiers or wherever separately but seems like the best option if resort availability should be fairly good. Think I will get Eurostar booked at first oportunity to get best prices then hang on as long as my nerve holds to book a resort/relevant trains. Have now read the posts on Snow Train and think self & husband in need of guaranteed sleep at nights so will give it a miss!
Do the resort tourist offices speak good English in general or do I need to polish up my French in advance? Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Late starter wrote:
Have now read the posts on Snow Train and think self & husband in need of guaranteed sleep at nights so will give it a miss!

I've done the snowtrain (charter service from Paris) several times and have always managed a reasonable night's sleep.
ski holidays
Late starter, the TGV can't be booked more than 2 months before anyway.
ski holidays
Late starter, they might have to pass you to a colleague but I've never rung an office that doesn't have someone who speaks decent english.

I like LesArcs for a beginners/mixed holiday and the snow is usually ok early season - 1950 has some lovely posh apartments. 1800 more traditionally rabbit hutchy.

jess x
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy