Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

switzerland 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Telford Mike
Which bars are open in Wengen.
Or which are likely to be open
Ditto restaurants?

I thought 15 per room was maximum in Switzerland?
Hence rule for DHO club room
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very helpful report @Cantal, thanks!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@castleford tiger, Crystal, Eiger and Waldschluecht are open at the moment, along with Sina's. You'll be aware by now that they have to close at 9pm starting tonight.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eiger bar?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
9 pm what about bars in hotels?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@castleford tiger, Eiger restaurant / bar. Hotels can keep their bars open later for their guests.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Waldschluecht where is that Mike?

And finally will hotel bars be open to non residents?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Waldschluecht next to the Swiss ski school office down beyond the Co-op.

Hotel bars will be open to non-residents, (though you might get chucked out at 9), but bear in mind that most of them don’t open until about 19th of December, and the rules will almost certainly have changed (for better or worse) by then. The current rules go to the 14th Dec.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course thanks.
If you can keep us updated it would be good.
Are you out there now?
Snow situation should be much better in the next 10 days
Is ski school open as normal?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@telford_mike can you recommend any places for me & my teenage son to stay wengen? Hote/B&B and close to where we can go out for eats/drinks but not too ££££ (yeah, yeah, I know its Switzerland!!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can I come in on that
Some crazy deals with operators this year
Under 1000 pounds for a week inc flights train and half board.
There will be some crazy prices at the hotels. But I cannot see anyone beating that price.
I think the Sunstar is the place
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dravot, I've stayed at several hotels over the years in Wengen, but for the last few years I've been staying at the Edelweiss Hotel which is excellent value. https://www.edelweisswengen.ch/en/hotel However it is a couple of hundred yards down a hill from the main street so it's a 5 minute uphill walk to the main street if you're going out in the evening (although conversely easy going back Madeye-Smiley ). If you prefer a not too expensive hotel on the main street then the Bernerhof is good. http://behof.ch/hotel/en/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
castleford tiger wrote:
Can I come in on that
Some crazy deals with operators this year
Under 1000 pounds for a week inc flights train and half board.
There will be some crazy prices at the hotels. But I cannot see anyone beating that price.
I think the Sunstar is the place

dunno if I'm looking in the wrong place, but the earliest I can find is 17 Dec?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Dravot, I've stayed at several hotels over the years in Wengen, but for the last few years I've been staying at the Edelweiss Hotel which is excellent value. https://www.edelweisswengen.ch/en/hotel However it is a couple of hundred yards down a hill from the main street so it's a 5 minute uphill walk to the main street if you're going out in the evening (although conversely easy going back Madeye-Smiley ). If you prefer a not too expensive hotel on the main street then the Bernerhof is good. http://behof.ch/hotel/en/

Thanks - I think the Telegraph covered the Bernerhof recently
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
castleford tiger wrote:
Of course thanks.
If you can keep us updated it would be good.
Are you out there now?
Snow situation should be much better in the next 10 days
Is ski school open as normal?

Yes, we're here - this is where we live. Will keep the updates coming on the Jungfrau thread, hopefully starting tomorrow with some snow Cool My other half works for one of the ski schools (Altitude) and they're operating normally. I'm sure the other schools will be the same.
snow report
Dravot wrote:
@telford_mike can you recommend any places for me & my teenage son to stay wengen? Hote/B&B and close to where we can go out for eats/drinks but not too ££££ (yeah, yeah, I know its Switzerland!!)

Would echo what others have said - Bernerhof or Edelweiss if budget is a consideration.
snow conditions
@Dravot, you didn't say when you were thinking of going to Wengen, but I've checked today with the owner of the Edelweiss and the hotel opens on 18th December. Smile
ski holidays
Looks like it's snowing today (1st. Dec.) in Verbier 4 Vallées: see the Webcams

Also got messaged by Téléverbier to say the advance season 4 Valleys ski ('Mont4Card') pass for the under-25s is available up to 6th Dec. for CHF 300 which if pretty good value if you think you're going to get there even for just a single short short break.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 1-12-20 12:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Try the Victoria Lauberhorn they may open on 11/12 Dec
latest report
https://www.skiwengen.ch/ plenty of instructors about
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Dravot, you didn't say when you were thinking of going to Wengen, but I've checked today with the owner of the Edelweiss and the hotel opens on 18th December. Smile
I have flights booked on 12/12
snow report
Jill t wrote:
I was looking at that on booking....
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:
Jill t wrote:
I was looking at that on booking....

Yes, the owner of the Edelweiss said the Victoria Lauberhorn was opening earlier. Obviously a bit more expensive, but it's got a very nice pool/spa complex.... Smile
snow conditions
Slight warning for all believers: Switzerland tends to bow for EU-pressure 99% of the time. Christmas is still far away
snow conditions
I see the Swiss half of PdS is proposing to bus folks from the French bits. Not much social distancing there. No wonder Macron wants to stop them.

The Covid navette anyone?
latest report
Thanks mike
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
I see the Swiss half of PdS is proposing to bus folks from the French bits. Not much social distancing there. No wonder Macron wants to stop them.

The Covid navette anyone?

The French COVID express. What could go wrong?
ski holidays
Hoping the forecast snow arrives, and more next week. Planning a short trip next Friday, probably to Andermatt. Flight prices have gone through the roof, so thinking of driving from the UK. Eurotunnel/ferry to France is out due to internal travel restrictions, so planning on getting the Harwich- Hook of Holland ferry. Could be interesting...

If any snowheads want to meet up for a ski, then let me know.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JackSkier, what do you mean "eurotunnel/ferry to France is out due to internal travel restrictions"?

I see the statements from Macron and Castex about not wanting French drivers to go to Swiss resorts, but is there anything stopping us Brits from driving along the coast into Belgium and then down through Lux and Germany? (Or indeed, just staying in France until Geneva?)
snow report
@ma94jcg, as far as I am aware, one is not allowed to travel between regions in France. I would be very happy to be disproven though!

It may be possible nonetheless to get from Calais/ Dunkirk to Belgium without being checked by the gendarmes...
ski holidays
@JackSkier, thanks. I was thinking from Dec 15th (if cases are down) - we are thinking of going for Christmas - but you are right that the current rules aren't allowing travel across regions
snow conditions
Who is going to stop you if you are just transiting?
ski holidays
@BobinCH, good point. The issue, I imagine, would be getting through the French boarder in Dover. I will keep an open mind. Unsurprisingly it seems that there is a lot of accommodation about in the resorts.

I'm thinking Andermatt purely due to the fact that I know the off-piste terrain well there, but keen to get to Engelberg and Verbier too. Could maybe do them all if I had my car.....

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-12-20 14:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
JackSkier wrote:
@BobinCH, good point. I will keep an open mind. Unsurprisingly it seems that there is a lot of accommodation about in the resorts.

I'm thinking Andermatt purely due to the fact that I know the off-piste terrain well there, but keen to get to Engelberg and Verbier too. Could maybe do them all if I had my car.....

Andermatt looking like a great choice. Could get smashed this weekend. I’ll be in Verbier from the 19th if you want some pointers.
snow conditions
@JackSkier,

Quote:

@BobinCH, good point. The issue, I imagine, would be getting through the French boarder

I find that the best way through a French boarder is quick jab with a ski pole while they’re making a heel side turn, as they’re losing their edge if you then pull up hard on your skis you can often get your tips just above their shoulders and then you just follow through leaving the battered boarder ripe for the next skier to hop over
snow report

> "In Switzerland itself the situation is still unfolding. Alpine resorts want to minimise restrictions but the government will decide on Friday whether to impose a limit on visitors."

Does anyone have more information on the above?
snow report
arturhoo wrote:

> "In Switzerland itself the situation is still unfolding. Alpine resorts want to minimise restrictions but the government will decide on Friday whether to impose a limit on visitors."

Does anyone have more information on the above?

Talk of limiting Xmas numbers to 2/3rds or 80% of previous years maximum numbers. Would be welcome as Xmas / NY are usually rammed and this would ease lift queues etc. I guess we’ll find out the outcome tomorrow...
snow report
@BobinCH, Nobody going into Vorarlberg either, could be very busy around Zurich if they don't limit numbers.
snow report
Quote:

Talk of limiting Xmas numbers to 2/3rds or 80% of previous years maximum numbers. Would be welcome as Xmas / NY are usually rammed and this would ease lift queues etc. I guess we’ll find out the outcome tomorrow...

That's a relief - I was fearing foreigners would be barred.
snow conditions
arturhoo wrote:
Quote:

That's a relief - I was fearing foreigners would be barred.

Then Verbier would be empty Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy