Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Ski Racer Corinne Rey-Bellet Murdered

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Frosty, practically zero I think - as I said earlier, these Amoklaeufer tend to go out and get a different gun, it seems to be inconceivable to them to use the army gun that's already in their house.

David Goldsmith, I think you have to make a distinction between people who have guns in the house because they're in the Swiss army, those who have them for purely sporting purposes and those who have them for "self-defence". The latter seem to be rather more dangerous and, as far as I can see, the predominant group in the US. In Europe, the weighting seems to be between the former two groupw.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I recall the Swiss usually have such low figures for armed crime each year that they rarely give separate figures for such events.

I'm with eng_ch, on this, in the US there does seem to be an issue of purchasing guns for supposedly self defence purposes, in western Europe at least most guns have been purchased for sporting purposes, either for hunting or target shooting, as such I suspect we have a different attitude to that in the land of the cowboy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go and check your figures:
In the USA gun ownership is largely speaking not regulated or subject to low regulation. There are some exceptions, for example New York State.
There are however a number of states where there is a statute that allows for Concealed Carry and in these states the regulatory hurdle to get a permit is significant.
Now would you like to guess the number of murders committed nationwide by those persons with a CC permit in 2005?

ZERO. NIL. NONE.

The state of New Hampshire has the largest number of guns/population, and the highest number of CC permits/population too.
It also has the lowest amount of murders and gun crime in the USA.

In the UK it is very tough to get a firearms permit (ie rifle)
Now would you like to guess the number of murders committed by those persons with a Firearms Certificate permit in 2005?

ZERO. NIL. NONE.

So saying that gun-crime is a inevitable consequence of guns-in-the-home is utter cobblers.

Gun crime is committed by criminals...the persons least likely to have legal guns.
Outlawing legal guns does NOTHING to reduce gun crime (just have a look at handgun crime in the UK since legal ownership of handguns was banned).

Sorry to hijack a thread about a tragic death but some things have to be nipped in the bud!

I have several shotguns and a rifle...I am not a threat to you or anyone else!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf,
Quote:
In the end guns are mearly a tool, they allow their user to hit a target at range, but most of these "family" attacks are carried out at point blank range and can just as easily be carried out with other weapons, by the way no sensible person would keep a loaded gun in the house, in fact in the UK weapons and ammunition have to be kept in separate locked steel cabinets, otherwise you won't be allowed to keep them.

I think it is highly questionable whether a person armed with a knife would be capable of stabbing and killing three members of a family, especially considering that one of them was a fully grown man. With a gun its easy, you just point and shoot. With a knife you have to get up close to the person, get past his defences and probably stab several times to kill him. Meanwhile the other people in the room would be running away and / or also attacking you with blunt instruments!
When living in Glasgow and Dundee I fairly frequently witnessed fight situations in pubs, sometimes involving bottles or glasses. Usually not much happened other than that someone got carved up a bit. I hate to think what would have happened if under the same circumstances there had been handguns involved.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Lawrie, hate to disagree with you but there are cases of family mass murders carried out with knives.

I'd have been far more impressed with the governments concerned if instead of simply banning what were legaly held weapons they had instead come down on the criminals that use firearms in criminal endevours, personally after the events at Dunblane (sp?) I'd have demanded the head of the senior police officer concerned on a plate as it was only his continued and repeated support of the individual that allowed the nutter to keep his guns, if he'd taken notice of his officers that event would never have happened and several people would be alive today, instead he was allowed to quietly retire Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The husband of Corinne Rey-Bellet, Gerold Stadler, has been found dead in a forest near where his car was abandoned after the car chase.

The death is an apparent suicide, and a gun was found nearby.

This report by Reuters.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like I said earlier, it is a sad thing but these people who do these horrible things to their own family almost always kill theselves when they realise just what they have done Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to this article in SwissInfo there is a high rate of domestic murder in Switzerland.
Quote:
According to a recent study of four cantons, family murders account for more than half of all homicides – a rate three times higher than in the United States.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But that has to be compared to the fact that Switzerland has a low murder rate overall, I suspect that the Swiss in general are a law abiding bunch of people thus crimes in the family will be a higher proportion than in countries where crime is more common.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, yes indeed. Not only that, but the family is an environment where emotions - either good or bad - inevitably run very high. It's literally the centre of our lives for most people, so the response to anything going wrong there tends to be more extreme, arguably resulting in teenagers running wild, the low proportion of amicable marital breakdowns etc. I find it far more worrying that other countries have such a high level of murders that are not, to all intents and purposes, "crimes passionelles".
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf wrote:
I suspect that the Swiss in general are a law abiding bunch of people

I suspect they are not but are afraid of getting caught... given the speed Swiss drivers go on the French autoroutes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been to the physio to get cracked this morning and we discussed the recent shooting, he's of the opinion that military weapons should not be kept at home, said a young boy of 18 had committed suicide just last week in the neighbouring valley with his fathers weapon, he said it was not uncommon to hear of such things. Not sure what the popular opinion is as I have only been here for a week

davidof, Having had a Swiss girl living with us for the last eight months I can say with complete certainty that it is because the Swiss are never (ever) wrong Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Terribly sad news. I met her about 5 years ago in les Crosets. A very nice lady. God rest her. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very Sad News, I met her a few years ago and she was a very nice lady. My thoughts are with her family.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy