Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Ski Racer Corinne Rey-Bellet Murdered

Poster: A snowHead
Former Swiss ski racer Corinne Rey-Bellet has been murdered along with her brother. An unknown person entered their home on Sunday evening around 21h30 and fired a number of shots. Her mother was seriously injured...

Rey-Bellet won silver at the St Moritz world championships in difficult conditions and had world cup success in St. Anton in January 1999 beating Austria’s Michaela Dorfmeister in what was described as a near perfect run. She retired in 2003 after a world cup career spanning 11 years. She is survived by her husband Gerold.

Further Information
Career Profile
Website
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Terrible news, quite shocking, and..who would do this and why?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked That's terrible news!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good grief! Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shocking. What is going on in the world?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How awful! Makes you wonder what's she been up to since her retirement Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its a mad/bad world rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dreadful and shocking news - you wouldn't think retired ski racers would be this sort of victim would you? Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Totally shocking - this sort of thing just doesn't happen in Switzerland! Sounds like a contract - but why?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some sort of businness dispute? Awful way to resolve it, if so.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shocking. It does sound un-Swiss.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unbelivable news, this happened in Les Croset in the PDS and from memory there are only a few houses there, if you have skied the PDS her family house is near the lift that reurns you to the top of the Mossettes Express lift to come back to France, I left Ardent yesterday and its a big shock. I am in Switzerland now lots of people are of course extremely shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Her mother has now sadly died too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's awful! How could anyone do such a thing?
It makes me really sad. Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Since she was at her parents' house, not her own, maybe she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time?
latest report
eng_ch wrote:
Totally shocking - this sort of thing just doesn't happen in Switzerland!

Very shocking, reminiscent of this:
BBC

Or, in some ways, perhaps this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_%22Spider%22_Sabich
snow report
Martin Bell, indeed, or even the murder of Jill Dando
latest report
Hints that it may have been a domestic in this Times report.
latest report
Similar report on the BBC, police are looking for her recently ex-husband.
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
police are looking for her recently ex-husband.

recently as in 21h30 on Sunday night?
latest report
http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/detail/Husband_of_murdered_skier_is_main_suspect.html?siteSect=105&sid=6673636&cKey=1146509678000

According to this they split 10 days ago.

Frosty, don't know where you read her mother had died, not according to this link.
snow report
laundryman,

Quote:

Shocking. It does sound un-Swiss

But very easy in Switzerland considering every household posseses a gun . Sad
ski holidays
stanton,
Quote:

But very easy in Switzerland considering every household posseses a gun

I'm sure I have read that there are several guns (including machine guns) for each Swiss resident, Shocked
latest report
Absolutely. Every male adult has his army gun in the wardrobe at home. But on the few occasions someone has run amok (Zug parliament in 2001, ZKB a couple of years ago), they will never use their army guns for it, they go out and get another. Go figure
snow report
When reading about this appalling shooting my mind flashed back to the fatal shooting of the American ski racer 'Spider' Sabich, 30 years ago.

Vladimir 'Spider' Sabich was a really big name in ski racing in the late 60s and 70s, having skied for the US in the 1968 Winter Olympics. After plenty of success on the World Cup circuit he went professional. He was shot by his French girlfriend Claudine Longet in March 1976, and she later claimed that the gun went off by accident (her evidence was largely accepted and she only received a short sentence). I don't think the emergence of 'Spyder' as a leading US skiwear brand was coincidental.

There's a surprising amount of information about Spider Sabich on the net.

Legal gun ownership tends to end in these terrible sacrifices of life - the argument for it is based on the right of defence, but so many innocent unarmed people die.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Legal gun ownership tends to end in these terrible sacrifices of life - the argument for it is based on the right of defence, but so many innocent unarmed people die.

I thought Switzerland had a very low murder rate...
snow report
DavidS wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

I thought Switzerland had a very low murder rate...

Yes. Not only that but here it's not so much widespread gun ownership as widespread gun caretakership, which is a different mentality.
ski holidays
eng_ch, isn't every man in Switzerland given a gun, so that if necessary he can form part of a militia to defend the country?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, no "if necessary" about it. Unless you opt for Zivildienst (which is relatively rare), every male age 18-42 does at least 100 hour a year of military service, which increases to 300 hours per annum for officers. If you do neither, you get 2% added onto your income tax for life. The army is so closely bound with civilian life that it's (allegedly) practically impossible to reach board level in a medium-sized company or larger unless you are an officer in the army, usually no less than colonel. And to be an officer and get in those 300 hours a year, you either need to be from a rich family or have a sympathetic employer who will continue to pay your salary for that time (I believe employers have to continue to pay salary for the 100 hours).
snow report
eng_ch, regrettably your right, my (terrible) mistake although I passed on info from a radio news report that then later changed from dead to seriously ill, very unlike that to happen in Switzerland as is the event itself. I gather from the news tonight that Corinnes husband is still no where to be found.

Wear The Fox Hat, Its my first real visit to Switzerland other than to ski resorts and tonight I can here fully automatic gun fire from a range down the road, my Swiss friends say this is quite normal, Military Service usually finds its way into most conversations since I^ve beed here so as ENG says, its a big part of life. Incidentally I saw and entered my first nuclear fallout bunker this week, another first
ski holidays
Its a bit of a shock when a soldier gets on the train and puts his machine gun on the luggage rack.
snow report
Frosty, not only is it regular, it's compulsory. They have to pass a shooting test each year and there are usually about 4 sessions. If you fail you can retake providing there are still sessions left in the year. If you fail again or you don't bother until the last one, you have to go on a refresher course. Or sth like that.
ski holidays
riverman, it's even more of a shock when about 50 of them do the same (and start field stripping the weapons for cleaning).

David Goldsmith, for once you appear to be spouting the typical anti gun propoganda as spouted by the UK press, in fact according to the UK governments own figures armed crime has actually increased since handguns etc. were banned, most countries that have a high percentage of legal gun owners in its population actually have much smaller armed crime figures than in countries where only the authorities and the criminals have firearms, the exception is the USA but this is believed to be due to the different laws in different states.
ski holidays
D G Orf, and at demob time at the station they look like they've walked straight out of Starship Troopers Smile
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I have never heard such utter nonsense in all my days!

Lots ofSwiss army around Verbier this last weekend, they were running the infrastructure for the Patroule De Glaciers.
My maincomment would be: GET YOUR 'AIRCUT YOU 'ORRIBLE LITTLE MAN!
What a bunch of scrufs!
snow report
As if it could be worse - there's a Reuters report here which says that she was 3 months pregnant, and her brother was due to be married on Friday.
snow report
Pretty disasterous for the family really Sad

Sadly these sort of murders are often the result of a falling out within a family, although in this case a handgun appears to have been used, these people will use any weapon they have access to, cars, knives and blunt instruments are used just as often as guns if not more so, often the murderer will realise later just what they have done and overcome by guilt will take their own life.
snow report
So it's OK for a gun to be in a house? Or in the free possession of a citizen?

Personally I think it's madness. I can't imagine having a loaded gun in my house, and it doesn't appear at all clear that these murders would have occurred if there hadn't been a gun in the equation.
snow report
David Goldsmith, in the UK Semi Automatic rifles were prohibited after one nutcase went mad with one, but the fact that said nutter happened to have weapons that were not on his certificate (which he also used) was not widely publicised because that would have put the lie to police and political statements that banning semi automatic rifles would have prevented the outrage.

Years later another nutcase used a handgun to kill innocent children so handguns were banned, but this person had been investigated no less than 3 times previously after multiple reports from the public that he was carrying weapons in public and acting in a threatening manner (any one of these should have been enough reason to revoke his certificate), in each case the reports from the junior police officers concerned stated that his firearms certificate should have been revoked because of these actions, in each case one particular senior police officer allowed him to retain his certificate, it turned out that this particular senior officer knew the man in question as a friend, he should have been sacked at least but was allowed to resign instead. In the end the government ignored their own report that stated that banning legaly held handguns would have no noticeable effect on armed crime figures and banned them anyway because that showed they were doing something.

In the end guns are mearly a tool, they allow their user to hit a target at range, but most of these "family" attacks are carried out at point blank range and can just as easily be carried out with other weapons, by the way no sensible person would keep a loaded gun in the house, in fact in the UK weapons and ammunition have to be kept in separate locked steel cabinets, otherwise you won't be allowed to keep them.
ski holidays
Its been reported today in the Swiss papers that Corinnne was 3 months pregnant and her brother who was killed was supposed to be marrying on friday, devastating for the family Shocked Shocked Shocked . The police did apparently give chase to Corinnes husband for a while but he was going so fast (235 km per hour)they either could not keep up or were worried he would cause more deaths with his driving, big road block at St Gingolph on the border and I suspect many other places. Anyone know what the stats are for homicides in Switzerland with army guns ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy