Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring Set Up

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Folks,

Some advice please!

I'm getting a bit bored and have decided i want to get into a bit of ski touring.....after someone nicked my powder skis last year in Chamonix i need some fat skis too!! Now, this is my question, would Head Kore 117 be too wide for a ski touring set up? They are light, skins compatible (so i believe) and i can put some touring bindings on there along and i have the best of both worlds!

Also what size would be people suggest?? I'm 5'9" - I'm currently on a 165 ish for piste and 180 for powder.

Thoughts and comments please?!

Ta!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I wouldn't go above 100 for a pure Touring Ski, when it gets steep and icy you want to be confident that you can roll the downhill ski leg outwards to make surface contact with the skin. Some compromise on the way down in Powder but I prefer to be bomb proof on the way up. 117 is good as a freeride option where you are more likely to boot up the difficult bits. As to length, it is inevitably going to be somewhere in the middle of what you've said. I'm a bit taller than you and ski 168 on piste, 175 on my touring rig and 180 on the Fat Boys. I'd recommend you day hire a few different Touring Rigs and feel your way in before going all out, especially try Alpine style versus Pin bindings.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on what the term 'ski touring' actually means to you.

Short shuffle from the top of a lift for half hour, or hundreds of metres of ascent and a full mountain day. The answers may help you choose a ski and binding, and perhaps this means one set of bindings and a couple of sets of skis with quiver killers or a heavy wide rig for lift served offpiste and a lightweight narrower proper touring orientated set up.

Also to bear in mind is is that it's not great trying to follow a narrow skin track when you have wide skis, you may as will be breaking the trail.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
my thought is: why are your piste skis so short? Toofy Grin

How often are you genuinely going to need a 117 under foot ski and when you do, wont you be best served getting first tracks off a lift?

Oh and yea the bashing your own track because your skis are wider then others who have gone before you has got to be a real drag too (as indicated above). I mean unless you are doing it for the extra exercise maybe? although then you could use thinner skis and go up steeper slopes, or for longer. hmmm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kioksor, I usually get about 170 piste skis and I'm 6'1" Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
112s more of a handful than 97s. If it’s a long trek (for me 10k) then sub-100. If it’s a couple of hours of unchallenging terrain then whatever you prefer to ski on the way down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done about 5 years on 120mm Bents for touring (up to a couple of hours) for the fun of skiing down. The width hasn't been a problem at all for that level of use. I'm 5'9" too and got them in a 185cm as with the rocker they do ski short. Still find pretty quick turns in the forests no issue..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the input folks....appreciated as always!

I've bought the 117's, but set them up as purely a powder ski. Hopefully they'll get some action this season, but more than likely it will be net year!

I have a pair of 93mm Kore's that i have changed the bindings on so i have my touring ski that isn't too wide, lightweight and can be used on piste easy enough.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy