Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski may not operate any ski holidays this winter:

Poster: A snowHead
@Markymark29, no, I briefly flirted with getting some Hope bits and pieces to replace things which I'd worn out, but that soon stopped. The shiny things still needs servicing and I'm bored by the idea of doing it myself and not particularly keen on paying £££s for someone else to do it, so the bike lives in the spare room.

Skis are a different matter, servicing is simple and the payoff is better.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pastorius wrote:
When would Crystal have to announce they're shutting up shop for the season if they do go that way? I'm keeping an eye on them for any deals they might run.

I think you are missing the point - as and when they are shutting up shop it'll more likely they are offering any countries they still have standing to customers that they might reallocate (and thus save a refund) rather than offering spanking deals.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have moved boys trip to Saalbach in Jan to same week in 2022. If it's poss to ski this season we will book something, but not feeling optimistic
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ghost Dog, Makes me laugh that "boys trip" thing, how did the boys thing ever come to fruition?.....perhaps to smooth the conversation with the OH, easier than saying off skiing with load of leery old f**** to spend far too much money, drink copious amount of beer, and ski far too fast for my own good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boys trips are necessary as OH puts a limit of 2 ski trips per year for her, boys trips take this up to 4 ski holidays per year. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a boys week every year...it just happens to be 2 girls and 2 boys
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been lead to believe there is actually a difference between men and women.... i have yet to find women who share my appreciation of tommy cooper, laurel and hardy and will hay ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@yorkshirelad, you aren't talking to the right women!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was the OH that suggested it, many years ago. She probably didn't envision it continuing every year for 20 years tho. She also suggested last seasons pre boys trip boys trip Smile Although she seems to have invited herself along this year along with MrsJimboS Toofy Grin It's been a while since I could ski anything approaching fast. You're right about the beers tho.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Used to go on "boys trips" last one about 15 years ago, started as 5/6 mates doing a Thursday-Sunday 4 day Cham thing, early Jet2 cheap flight out of LBA/ GVA and skiing 3.5 hard days, few beers, a pizza and a good night sleep in a clean yet not posh digs, plenty great skiing and craic. Soon word got out and friends of friends joined the group and it mean't it rapidly became 20+ and lots of guys I'd not choose to be with and also it lost it's fun. It became a main ski holiday for some of the newbies, and developed into Davos and Verbier, and big bar bills/ kitties and not my thing. When I ski I want to be with my OH not a bunch of leery middle aged piste hounds......dropped out to some early banter for first 2-3 seasons then it suddenly stopped, the young ones got reigned in/ had families, the leery ones realised they could drink beer at home cheaper, and the idea fizzled out......I see groups of lads (50+) when they are away urinating in doorways/ falling out of bars and skiing like idiots in resort and think would they be doing that at home - definitely not......just saying I think lads trips aren't all that.

The Crystal connection is that we used them.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
Used to go on "boys trips" last one about 15 years ago, started as 5/6 mates doing a Thursday-Sunday 4 day Cham thing, early Jet2 cheap flight out of LBA/ GVA and skiing 3.5 hard days, few beers, a pizza and a good night sleep in a clean yet not posh digs, plenty great skiing and craic.

Group ski trips are best kept small and focused, but for many skiing is not the primary purpose just as a lads day out at the cricket is for many about beers, beers, beers, a singsong and a curry. So you're on a loser if too many of the "boys" have that in mind. That's not to say they aren't fun or serve a purpose. Plenty of us know people we're not really in touch with but can have a laugh with for a couple of days. I used to go on the work ski trip a number of years back but it suffered from all the usual problems like lack of alignment on whether people wanted to take days off work or be home for the weekend with the kids etc and then there were the nights out - as one guy who I didn't know all that well but had done a season in the past said to me in a bar "I used to hate c**ts like this lot when I was a seasonnaire".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, I think you nailed it.

Quote:

and big bar bills/ kitties

Quote:

and skiing like idiots in resort

We've skied over to Val'd a couple of times over recent years to meet up with a group of "locals" on their "boys" trip. By about the third day they all look like death warmed up Skullie Skullie Skullie .
We once met them at the Fruitiere(sp?) Folie D. as they were finishing lunch. I was talking to a trip newbie as we started skiing again. He'd obviously been stung by the "kitty"...... quote, "I've had a Burger and a glass of red and it's just cost me €120!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitty etiquette is difficult. I've sometimes volunteered to hold it myself rather than have fools take it and try to score dubious bathroom merchandise with it. That is not without its risks, by committing to be kitty holder you are tying yourself in for the full night of heavy drinking etc but at least you can tip off some party members who might be less enthusiastic when is opportune to make themselves scarce before the next whip round. There's usually one big shot who wants to go "full lobster" with the most expensive thing on the menu though.

Fortunately I got through the era of Vegas/Ibiza stag weekends without managing to attend any. I'm sure they were brilliant but my days spent skiing thank me for the sacrifice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Don't forget the 100€ kitty mid evening (and you think how did that happen?), then the next morning you get asked for another and then you realise they'd all gone on the lash with your dollar after you went to bed! I came to realise that the ones that were wrecked in the morning were those who weren't used to drinking until all hours, but were too afraid to go to bed because the other idiots would spend all their cash if they did and they'd lose out. best to avoid kitty's with "the lads". Then at the end of the week there's the hotel bar where the bar hounds run up a huge bill and split it per head when they've enjoyed sambuca's, shots, brandy's etc and you've only had a couple of beers each night......the obligatory rare-up with the bar manager because they've ripped the team off (the bar lizards were too blutered to check the tab before they'd signed it every night before bed).....then after they've kicked off and argued a saving of 200€ they give him 100€ back as a tip and all's friendly again, until they try to book again next year and strangely it's fully booked........you live and learn!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've invited women to come on our lads n dad's trips but they never take us up on it for some reason.. I'm sure it's got something to do with Tommy cooper
snow report
@yorkshirelad, juz like that
latest report
@Markymark29, I hold the kitty, and take it with me when I leave! Once the group has fragmented, it's down to the survivors to fund their own addictions Happy

Since we're way off Crystal (or even Cristal, which might be the only vague connection to over-priced boys trips) - I find they work best in 3-10 person groups with common interests. Last season I had a touring trip with 3 mates who are all good skiers but didn't know each other before (2 city types, 1 surgeon and a PE teacher) - famous quote from the PE teacher "If I told my mates who I'd come skiing with, they'd think you'd be a bunch of nobs, but this has been great" Happy I also had a couples ski trip for various friends and husbands/wives, a random mates trip including friends, colleagues and clients, a school parents trip (to watch some races) and a trip with my son. None would have worked in combination, but individually they were great.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, me and mates have never bothered with a kitty when on trips, just more hassle than it's worth because someone is always losing out on the deal. Only time I've bothered properly is on trips with Turdy and Smigus Dyngus, but that works because we usually binge a similar amount each evening and scoff the same amount of grub....plus if the old man has charge of it I know that he'll usually bug off to bed rather than pissing it up with my quids.
snow conditions
Email from inghgams this morning saying that the final balance date has moved nearer the departure date as they expect the holiday to be cancelled.... or we can now postpone it free of charge to the 22 season... Watch this space as they say
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad,
Quote:

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

yorkshirelad
snowHead
Fri 30 Oct, 20 12:20
Email from inghgams this morning saying that the final balance date has moved nearer the departure date as they expect the holiday to be cancelled.... or we can now postpone it free of charge to the 22 season... Watch this space as they say

What was your holiday dates? Is the email direct to you or a general message to all clients?
snow conditions
I'd appreciate some thoughts from people who know/use Crystal: I've been invited to join a bunch of friends on a holiday next year (Feb), run through Crystal. I'm keen, but not sure when the best time to book is.

It's a large hotel in a quietish area, so I wouldn't normally be too worried about them running out of rooms. And prices seem high at the minute, so I'd rather wait and see if they drop - but I'm not sure if they've been pushed higher for next year due to this season now being fully cancelled?
snow conditions
fixx wrote:
I'd appreciate some thoughts from people who know/use Crystal: I've been invited to join a bunch of friends on a holiday next year (Feb), run through Crystal. I'm keen, but not sure when the best time to book is.

It's a large hotel in a quietish area, so I wouldn't normally be too worried about them running out of rooms. And prices seem high at the minute, so I'd rather wait and see if they drop - but I'm not sure if they've been pushed higher for next year due to this season now being fully cancelled?

I've been going with Crystal for many years - and generally found them good. As for when to book - that's more difficult, especially for 2022, as there may well be extra demand.

Generally, cheaper prices to encourage early bookings can be seen April/May. Then prices go up, but discounts/extras become available. If demand is high, prices often go up. Just keep an eye on their website.

I'm in the same boat.....watching and waiting atm
snow report
Thanks @Old Fartbag - it's good to hear from a seasoned traveller with them!

Part of it is just wanting to book something, anything! right now Smile But I'd rather wait for a clearer picture on future travel...
snow conditions
@fixx, I wrote this on page 1 in October

"..Just out of curiosity I checked the price of my last years Crystal holiday against the same holiday for 2021 (Flaine, January)

£200 pounds dearer !! (a near 25% increase on last year..).."

However, when I checked again in late December, the price had dropped to near the January 2021 price....
snow conditions
They will run promotions from time to time ... £100 per person discount or bogof liftpasses...

If you are set on a specific place / hotel / date . I would just book it.

If you are flexible to some extent , wait for a promotion...
snow report
I'd hazard a guess that their packages are artificially high at the moment, to account for folk taking up their offer of a 20% discount for cancelled bookings re-booked.

Crystal have always served us well, and competitively priced. So we've taken up their offer and committed ourselves; only 326 days to go!
snow conditions
@albob, I missed that, oops! Good to know.

@sheffskibod - I'll look out for those. I'm just a bit cautious to committing right now, though I do have a particular date and place in mind.

@Triumph, very good point, thanks!
snow report
Crystal just confirmed no hols this year
--

Sadly, given the ongoing uncertainty and restrictions at home and in ski resorts overseas, we can confirm that we won't be operating any ski holidays this winter.

We're sorry that it's not been possible to get you skiing this winter. We'd have liked nothing more than seeing you on the slopes with your family and friends experiencing everything we all love about the mountains.

Unfortunately this winter hasn't turned out the way any of us hoped and we wish things could've been different.

As we're having to say goodbye to this year's season, now is about looking ahead and making next winter ours, being together and creating new memories in the mountains. We can't wait.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilsons can't be far behind. On that note, they've already reduced their resorts and the airports they fly from for next season.
latest report
@PrimroseAndBlue, I looked at their site yesterday -- a Pale shadow of the tour operator they used to be.... Sad
ski holidays
fixx wrote:

Doesn't mean Crystal have lots of rooms in that hotel tho. We struggled to get rooms for 10 for this season in Saalbach. For instance Crystal only had 3 guaranteed rooms in the Flora last time I tried booking with them in Selva. Bookeed direct eventually.
snow conditions
albob wrote:
@PrimroseAndBlue, I looked at their site yesterday -- a Pale shadow of the tour operator they used to be.... Sad

Sad isn't it? I really enjoyed using them.
ski holidays
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
albob wrote:

Sad isn't it? I really enjoyed using them.

We’ve always had excellent trips with them, bar minor issues on 2. Even had 241 hols twice when they introduced new hotels in Alpbach & Geilo back in the early’ish 2000’s. Plus pre season trips to Cervinia, flying home on virtually empty 767’s & no crowds in resort or at airports - bliss!

They’ve slowly dropped so many countries, resorts & options in the past 5 years. Doesn’t particular affect us as we seem to stick to what we like & know these days but it’s always good to see other potential options.

We’ve taken the plunge & already booked with them for Jan 2022 as it’s the other half’s 60th birthday celebration trip as a small group of us are going. Fingers & toes crossed for next season.
ski holidays
I think I'm lucky with my lads trips rading se of that its usually 6 of us. max 4 days, over a weekend so not too much time off work for those still working. maximise slope time / minimise airport to resort transfer and select sensible early in / late out flights.

Start reasonably early and spend most of the day skiing. Nights out fun, without going mad and the early start deters pointless late night drinking. If the kitty / majority go to bed, you fund your own excess if you want to have another 3 whiskies at the bar!! If someone isn't drinking or whatever, they get a bye from the kitty top up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy