Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are, Sweden?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone being? Accom recommendations? Easiest way to get there?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been, briefly. It's beautiful and the food was fantastic. There's no loads of downhill skiing if you're used to the big resorts in the Alps. Cross country skiers will be well catered for I think. I flew to Stockholm and got a connecting flight to the local airport. As I'm sure you're aware it's pricey.

I stayed in the Tott hotel which was pleasant and in a good location for skiing. It was a steep walk down into town (though there's a tram thingy).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a great stay there many years ago, we also flew to a small airport only 45min away. Loved the mountain picnic huts where you can even microwave your own food. Take a neoprene face mask if you are going in the cloder months as if the wind picks up it can get a bit chilly on the tops.
We went self catering, underfloor heating and really good facilities. Oh, get everyone to bring a wine box in their luggage, the booze is expensive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brilliant place! Family ski at Are about 10 years ago. Self catering. Flew from Stansted to, I think, Ostersund and my son had arranged minibus transport to Are from airport but I can not remember details. Train station within walking distance of town centre. Are town centre probably the best place for the non skier of our party, my wife, that I have been to. Brilliant large leisure centre with swimming and other stuff. Plenty of trips to do. Ice hotel, frozen waterfall, reindeer sleigh trip. Some interesting shops. Better than my usual ski haunts in France. I liked the hot mash potato sold by the street venders. Brilliant in the cold night.

Bit of a trek from Town centre where we were staying to the lifts but acceptable to us and there was accommodation closer if needed. They have an Olympic competition run and night skiing under flood lights. I felt there was plenty of area and varied skiing to keep me happy for a week. Had to ski round the semi domesticated reindeer on one occasion. Like Scarpa, we had a reception basket of goodies on arrival.

But it was the view from the pistes of the frozen lake below that grabbed my attention. Brilliant.

Over all, one of the most enjoyable resorts I have been to. Sorry no firm details of how we booked and everything. I will ask Son.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went last March just before lockdown kicked in. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We combined the ski trip with a weekend in Stockholm and took the night sleeper train to Are railway station which is bang in the middle of town and very convenient. We flew back to Gatwick from Are-Ostersund although I'm not certain Easy Jet are running that route for the entire 20/21 season. Stayed in the traditional Aregarden hotel in the town square, very handy for the lifts and bars, restaurants etc. Surprisingly, drink was no more expensive than French resorts (or London, for that matter). My trip report is below:

Anyway, we've booked to go back next March, Covid-19 etc not withstanding.

Despite all the dramas, closures and travel problems elsewhere, we made it to Are for some excellent skiing. After an enjoyable weekend in Stockholm, we took the night sleeper train to the north. Not the newest rolling stock to say the least and a bit cramped with our luggage, the beds were comfortable and the bonus of our own bathroom in first class was much appreciated. It was great to wake up in the snow with the sun shining. Are railway station was about 150 yards from our hotel, the very dignified and classic Aregarden in the village square. Handy for lifts, shops, bars and restaurants. Checked in, enjoyed a very welcome breakfast and on to the slopes. Day one was mainly in the Are By and Bjornen areas. Very few snowboarders and lots of T-bars (are the two related?) - lovely first day cruising around. By 4.30, after our travel adventures, I was ready for a beer and a hot shower! We dined the first night in Pinchos - a large chain on the continent where you order your food and drinks and pay via an app on your mobile telephone. All in all, it was excellent value - and prices throughout our trip were much more reasonable than I was expecting - certainly beer and wine was no more expensive than French or Swiss resorts (or London, for that matter!). Two coffees at a slopeside cafe were less than £5 (can't imagine you could match that in Val D'Isere or Verbier!). Day 2 we skied in the Rodkullan area where we each had private lessons (mine was very technical and analytical and was well worth the money for 1.5 hours). The weather was superb on each day - and it snowed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Conditions underfoot were superb. Day three, while Mrs LOTA had another lesson, I skied in the Hogzon (High Zone) and despite the closure of the cable car, as a Covid-19 precaution, there were plenty of skiers about but no queues. Many people don't like t-bars but they do move skiers up the hill quickly!
Although there was no sense of panic or concern in Are itself, we were very conscious of the growing travel problems elsewhere so decided to bring our flight forward from Sunday to Thursday. This proved a sound decision as the Sunday flight was cancelled the following morning, just before we left, and the cabin crew said theirs was the last flight that would be carried out.
Although our planned six days of skiing was halved by the world emergency, we felt very privileged to have been able to get some skiing in - especially as the horror stories of arriving in France and then being immediately sent home were coming through. Overall, I was impressed with Are. The slopes were quiet, snow conditions were excellent, the lift system accesses a lot more than than you might guess from the piste map. The 'transporter' tracks between the various areas are a really good way to get about and give a real senses of travel across the mountain. Very friendly people, too, who speak immaculate English. We will definitely return in the not too distant future.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy