Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings & boot movement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So we (some of us) get all worked up about 3 degrees in stance angles (well, I can tell the difference). Yet every binding which I have (2 Flow, male and female, 1 Burton old unisex strap type) are way wider than my boots. My boots aren't overly thin, and are actually men's or unisex. There's a good 1-2cm of space between boot side and binding side - so foot, pre strapped up and afterwards, can go to the left, to the right or diagonally across the binding. And, unless the binding is nerve-compressingly tight, probably can move around a bit under load/force.
Is this only me, or normal; if the latter, why?
(Richard Sideways kindly sent me some bindings to try recently: quite 'bare' and unpadded, possibly junior ones - though fit my M24+ boots well, don't seem much different to my normal mediums which I have in other makes. But they are a lovely snug to tight fit, perfect for my boots, in fact. Hence why I wondered and posted.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have about 1mm gap on mine, no more. Luckily they always seem to go in properly first attempt. Really still boots, really stiff bindings, nor need to overtighten.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mine are snug, US12 malamutes, L now Drives (known for being tight in the heelcup) - no disco feet at all without cranking the straps too hard.

I do get it on my split - using Sparks, definitely noticeable less control. But I'm running worn out frankenstraps on those. Pretty sure some new spark straps would sort the problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Three different bindings with one boot (Imperials 9uk) snug on all 3 but still easy to get on /off. Cartels are mediums, teams are large and contact pros are m/l. Different brands size differently so always best to take your boots to the shops or stick to sizing guidelines. Yours seem to big to me but only just.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you tried adjust the highbacks to lean more forward? It should stop front foot movement and get your knees more forward
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
my boots have always been a snug fit in to the bindings ... it’s one of the main factors to check when buying bindings that the boot is a good fit for the bindings.

I really can’t imagine riding my board with my foot wiggling around Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
not sure how loose straps should be one would feel feet wiggling in bindings Puzzled Snug fit - perfect, a bit of space on both sides - absolutely no problem, crank them down and ride.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a set of Salomon f22s after I owned some Burton bindings (purchased with some Burton boots). The salmons were a much lower volume boot, so the shell was smaller, meaning more wiggle room in the bindings. however tight the cap strap was my boot could rotate up to about 5deg. I replaced the bindings in the end. Much better ride.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
24cm mens boot will likely be a small mens size bindings they are marked but its often hard to see .
Some brands may differ as some brands only make 2or3 sizes others 4 binding sizes but its obvious size 24cm is down right next to junior sizing rather than up near 7-8.5uk medium in 3 size brands.

Sizing isnt easy no matter what others waffle on about online actually getting it done more right than wrong takes extensive ride time experince and cash .
Some say they have no issues ...often sitting on ones backside .
Once putting in endurance days weeks months boot/binder fit becomes important as well as fitness flexibility staying injury free .
All that sales guff goes out the window .

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 31-10-20 14:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mr.Egg, it's physical gaps at the size. Boot size in /on plate is fine, gaps are irrespective of back settings.
@Tirol 164, 24.5 is a ladies' medium.

BTW, the foot isn't unduly (at least noticeably) moving once the straps are tightened (and they're comfy enough at said settings) - it more just amuses me that there's so much room either side that the foot angle can be altered significantly. This can make each run feel a bit different, the stance odd or wrong, until I put a mental post it note on saying "remember to line up boots with inside edge of binding".

I think that maybe Flow bindings (and the Burtons which I have) are just made that way. One day, if I can ever find a shop that has a good selection, I'll maybe buy myself some different ones. Not this year tho'...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tirol 164, 24.5 is a ladies' medium.

You stated your in a mens boot 24cm didnt you ?

With a 23cm womans foot

So a mens boot is sized to a mens binding... not a womans binding.... as few to no men use womans binders.... of course you can do what you want but asking online sizing across sex is like chalk an cheese so best to just do it an find out .

Bootfit tolerance is something else
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My current boots are as far as I know unisex (just to make the point that they're not overly smsll or thin), but I have previously worn Burtons women's ones in the same and different bindings, and no size difference width or length wise. In some boots I'm an M23 (though these days too tight) or 23.5, or 24 or 24.5. On actual technical measurement I'm 24cm, just. As you said, boot fit...
Not sure why a man's or unisex boot would be any different, really. Not even sure why a women's binding is different, bar always more costly, usually softer and "prettier" (rolling eyes ) Nor why men's binding sizings cover different ranges/sizes to women's.
Never mind. Was just an observation /question.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Grizzler, i have had a couple of sets of Flows and they were a very snug fit too
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy