Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Guide/lessons - Andermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
If anyone has names of guides in Andermatt for off piste, would appreciate them. Am looking of course at all the ski schools, but prices there are high (600CHF per day roughly).
Maybe that is just the going rate, and is so, so be it, but just thought I would see if anyone had any insider knowledge!
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guiding in Switzerland is expensive. I've used both the local guides bureau and Dan Loutrel's outfit. Both have been good but Dan, being American, is slightly easier to deal with if your German is not great.

If you are proficient in dealing with avalanche hazard then the main routes in Andermatt are not hard to navigate. If that's not the case then I would strongly recommend a guide as it would be easy to get into trouble straight off the lift.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nope, not proficient in dealing with avalanches or eyeing up the hazards, so it will be a guide all the way for me.
Will look into Dan Loutrel also.
thanks for the advice
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ps happy to accept any other tips and info you are happy to share about Andermatt also!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Basecamp is a nice place to stay.

Andermatt sucks in bad weather and can be ferociously busy at the weekend due to its proximity to Zurich. If it is busy then get on the train and go to Disentis. Time wise, Disentis is about as far as you can get from Zurich without actually leaving the country. Disentis also has a bit of tree skiing. People rate Airolo for tree skiing but I have never been.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks a million, definitely planning to head over as far as there on skis but if weather bad will take the train
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also heard good things about Dan Loutrel - albeit from Americans!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i've dropped him an email so hopefully he bites!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also take or rent touring gear. Most of the stuff is accessible without skinning but the Guspis is best accessed on skins. I have bootpacked it in 50cm of fresh powder. It was miserable and I do not recommend it.

If you get over to Disentis, Val Strem from the top of the glacier is one of the nicest short ski tours in the Alps.

Norris, who no longer posts put this up a while back. Now Norris has got some serious game but this should give an idea of the terrain that is accessible with a short walk.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2007536
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@coflatharta, ...yes....regret that indeed is the going rate...I know guides in Icogne and that's their day rate...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@coflatharta,

https://www.mammutalpineschool.com/en/search/?post_id=2248&node_id=5b1a7ad013580&template_id=0&pm_fulltext=Andermatt&pm_date_from=&pm_date_to=
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gorilla, as someone said in that thread, I want to be Norris when I grow up!

@valais2, thanks, seems to be the case alright from my research. Need to get a better job to properly fund my leisure activities!

@jamtastx, thanks, will have a look at these also.

thanks everyone for your input, am looking forward to it and will have to make something happen (with a guide), seems terrain like this is too good to ignore!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HI all, Andermatt is a winner! Didn't end up getting lesson in the end as there had not been much snow in a while, but still plenty to trick around on between the pistes on gemstock.
Our first day was a white out in Naschen, and it did suck. I had to come down off the mountain with motion sickness for a while, never happened to me in all my trips previously. the remainder of our trip was blue skies all the way, class weather.
We did 2 days on Naschen side and 2 on Gemstock, if i only ever skied one mountain again it would be Gemstock, and with a guide, I cannot imagine how good it would be.
Nightlife was quiet but fine, not that I was looking for anything much, food expensive but that's Switzerland, village very nice, overall it is now joint top of my list with Engelberg.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy