Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Issues with Blackdiamond/Pieps transievers

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone had any updates from PIEPS? A friend of mine just got the below email. he isn't very happy about it and would be keen if anyone who has received an offer of a free up grade is willing to share their email, so he can use it as proof of them offering upgrades.
cheers

thanks for your message.

We have received several inquiries related to the security of the switch mechanism of the DSP Sport and DSP pro avalanche beacons. We have been in close contact and dialog with athletes and professionals on this issue since Nick McNutts accident in BC, Canada. In response to these requests we have performed significant additional testing on these beacons in used and new condition. The findings are simple and significant at the same time. The lock mechanism of the DSP Sport and DSP Pro is not in any way compromised due to design or production issues. Yet we all saw the Instagram posts over the last few days and the explanation is as simple. Avalanche beacons are products built for the extremes, still they need a certain amount of maintenance as all your outdoor gear does. The evidence suggesting the slider to be faulty by design was corroborated with a heavily damaged beacon. PIEPS encourages all users to inspect their beacons at least before and after the season for mechanical damage due to use or accidents. We urge you not to go out with a broken beacon as, like all beacons it can not guarantee its reliability and performance when broken. Nevertheless PIEPS, in close cooperation with the Black Diamond quality lab has done extensive research and testing on this particular beacons which we are happy to share.

Switch Performance Testing

Testing has shown no change in switch resistance for used DSP beacons with heavy use.
DSP beacons that have had their switch overridden (intentionally forced between modes without depressing the lock button), show a reduction in switch resistance which is further reduced after multiple cycles. The reduction in switch resistance due to override is variable, but not as severe as lock/switch mechanisms with visibly damaged lock buttons.
Different lock mechanisms

Comparative evaluations were also made between the DSP lock/switch mechanism and lock mechanisms currently on the market. The purpose of this evaluation was to compare the likelihood of interference with various switching mechanisms by determining the number of independent actions required to switch the designs evaluated on/off and between modes. While all mechanisms evaluated have strengths and weaknesses, and met the EN 300 718-1 standard, the DSP lock/switch mechanism as found to be comparable in terms of security to other lock designs on the market.

Conclusions

Perform beacon partner checks regularly when in avalanche terrain, ensure that your beacon is locked in the send mode, and carried in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendation.
All beacons can be overridden and/or manually damaged. Never intentionally force a beacon power or mode switch between positions and retire your beacon immediately if it has been damaged.
Inspect your beacon regularly for signs of wear or damage (see below).
Contact the manufacturer if you have any questions regarding proper use or inspection results
If you have any concerns, I can offer you a free of charge device service.
Please use for that your device service form (https://my.pieps.com/de#deviceservice)
Note in the comment field: “Free Device Service”

When your device works well we will send it back to you �de0a if we find any issue we will let you know the further steps.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

With kind regards

Doris Resch
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ecrinscollective, a number of us here have/are returning our transceivers to Pieps - I sent mine out two days ago.

To confirm your friend does have the DSP sport or DSP pro model right? Not the newer model with the lock that is perpendicular to the slider.

I would recommend he goes back to Doris, with a proof of purchase, if he/she still has it as it will be needed and then request that he/she is offered an upgrade model and wait for the response.

@mgrolf, received a similar message to your friend offering a free device check - he emailed back and they offered him the upgrade - maybe he can give you some more advice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@extremerob,

Yep he has 4 DSP sports got them 2 years ago, He is going to get back to Doris and see if he can get that upgrade, I guess they are just trying to blow people off and then see who keeps asking.

cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ecrinscollective, yep, I got exactly the same email. I simply replied along the lines of, I can replicate the fault with my brand new DSP Sport so do not have full confidence in it, am aware of others who have been offered free replacements, don't consider a service suitable. Doris replied the next day, with the offer of a free upgrade to the Pro BT model.

Same process as @TheMasterpiece described. I sent mine off at the beginning of the week, so I'm not expecting to get the replacement for a couple of weeks at least. I'll report back on here when it arrives.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mgrolf, Thanks for getting back.

cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ecrinscollective, I got exactly same answer for my DSP Pro. Thanks @mgrolf, for the hint, will try to do your way. Honestly, I just don't have trust in this anymore, and transceiver is one thing, I want to be 100% sure it's working.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just received a replacement DSP Pro BT unit from Pieps, sent out my unit on the 04 November using Royal Mail, received an email on the 10 November to make the Bank transfer ( transferred via Revolut, which was same day and no fee) so all in all not too bad in terms of turn around time to get the new unit back in 12 days. Just need to be able to go skiing now Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to add to this.... I sent back my pro at the beginning of November. Doris is great! I'm not sure that she is having much fun at the moment but just received today.

I'm 6 months out of the 5 year warranty so no free upgrades unfortunately. They offered me the Powder for €100 and were happy to offer the BT Pro at the same price when I asked. Made sense (emotionally;) to go for the pro as this seems to be selling everywhere for €100 more than the Powder. Will clearly not use all extra functionality though but good to have.

And glad to get rid of the green and yellow colour scheme on the pro which always felt a bit Australian! Design seems a lot more sensible and much prefer the new harness. The old one was tricky to adjust.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a update.

My friend who got the email saying all that was on offer (see post above) kicked off and said that wasnt good enough and is now being offer a free upgrade.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Replacement Pro BT received yesterday. First impression is that the new locking mechanism is better than the old, suspect lock. Bluetooth config and update works well.
Overall, I'm happy, though Pieps lose a mark for their initial response. I'll stick with this beacon for now and keep my fingers crossed that there isn't another fault lurking in the system somewhere.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My Pieps Micro Buttons arrived also. Noticeably thinner than the old DPS Sport, which is nice. And a totally different way to switch to search (need to press two buttons) that’s less intuitive than just one switch, so need to practice regularly and make it second nature.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got the below email from Pieps - bit late and still not a product recall

https://www.pieps.com/dsp/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021_DSP_Communication_User_DE
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's interesting. I went with the upgrade offer and have three new Pro BTs. Not been able to use them yet of course
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It took me a few emails to get a repacement on my brand new unused Pieps Sport. Fobbed off for the first 3 so I went on about all the tree skiing I do and the increased likelyhood of collisions with hard objects during an avalanche. Once they accepted the issues the replacement process was very quick.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarpa,
I wasn't offered it but only had to ask once. I wonder if I had already had two replaced for broken switches in the last three years meant that they definitely didn't want me to be disgruntled...
snow report
@jedster, I guess not Laughing
ski holidays
@jedster, I guess not Laughing
latest report
Pieps have designed a new plastic cradle to replace the old pouch. Got mine a couple of days ago and thought I'd update this thread for anyone still undecided about what to do.

The good:
- completely free (no postage, taxes etc. - just email pieps and you can arrange one to be sent).
- locks the slider in the send position
- feels a little lighter (I had the old style strap though)

The bad:
- there is no way to holster the transceiver in any position other than send. Quite annoying for me personally as not uncommon to put transceiver on in morning and then drive to backcountry base (up to 1 hour), or ski inbounds for a while before maybe venturing out later on. I could just leave it on but kind of a waste of batteries, which I'd rather save for when need it.
snow conditions
@boarder2020 batteries in transceiver last forever. This winter I had about 200h on touring skis (plus normally 15-60min drive from home to start point for each tour, which I would say adds another 30-40h of operation) and my BarryvoxS (I changed my Pieps DSP Pro for this before it was clear that there's chance to get it replaced, which I did later on) is currently at 55% of batteries, which should be enough for next few tours that are still in plan for this "winter". And even if batteries would go real fast, and you would need to change them once a month, it's like 1eur expense to change them, so there's really not much need to "save them". And putting transceiver on and turning it on at home, is actually good practice, as there's way less chances to forget it in backpack or forget it turned off when you start tour.
snow report
primoz wrote:
@boarder2020 batteries in transceiver last forever. This winter I had about 200h on touring skis (plus normally 15-60min drive from home to start point for each tour, which I would say adds another 30-40h of operation) and my BarryvoxS (I changed my Pieps DSP Pro for this before it was clear that there's chance to get it replaced, which I did later on) is currently at 55% of batteries, which should be enough for next few tours that are still in plan for this "winter". And even if batteries would go real fast, and you would need to change them once a month, it's like 1eur expense to change them, so there's really not much need to "save them". And putting transceiver on and turning it on at home, is actually good practice, as there's way less chances to forget it in backpack or forget it turned off when you start tour.

My understanding is that it is good practice to change transceiver batteries at 80%. Obviously don't throw them away , shift them into something less safety critical
ski holidays
Yeah I think I did read that somewhere ages ago, but that's ridiculous as there's absolutely no point in doing this. For transmitting it doesn't use any batteries at all (read above) and for search, where it uses more, 50% is enough juice to search for hours. Nowadays suggestion is to change them when on 30-40% (Mammut's suggestion is 30% on lithium and 40% on alkaline, ARVA says 50%, Pieps when battery bar is empty but not blinking yet etc.)
latest report
fair enough

although if this is true
Quote:

For transmitting it doesn't use any batteries at all

they should stop focusing on transceivers and go into the clean energy business because they've made a pretty amazing discovery.
snow report
You know what I meant, so you don't need to pick on it word by word rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

And putting transceiver on and turning it on at home, is actually good practice, as there's way less chances to forget it in backpack or forget it turned off when you start tour.

Good practice is doing a partner beacon check at the trail head or when leaving the resort boundary. So that would solve the problem of leaving it in a backpack or switched off. There is also the issue with batteries potentially showing more charge when indoors and warm.

With the DPS sport I get 160 hours before the battery bar goes down to 1/3 which is where I choose to change the batteries. The manual suggests I could let it go down to empty but not flashing, but I'd rather be (almost certainly unnecessarily) overcautious. So those days where it might be unnecessarily on for 7 or 8 hours (leaving house to arriving home) do add up.

I agree that the cost is small - although certainly more than 1 euro ime! It just seems like a huge waste when there is absolutely no need to have it switched on and we are continuously being told to try and be more green.

On days I'm unsure if I'm going out of bounds or not will just throw it in the backpack and put it on when necessary. It's not really a major inconvenience for me, but I was just pointing out what I do think is a limitation of the new cradle.
latest report
Just received this email, not sure if this is the same issue or another one:

Dear User,

We have observed a small number of PIEPS and Black Diamond Avalanche beacons with malfunctioning electronic components that may prevent it from switching from SEND to SEARCH mode. Our testing is ongoing, but it is important to us that we communicate this information promptly and ask that anyone in possession of the following beacons to immediately perform a safety inspection to ensure your beacon is functioning properly.

PIEPS Micro BT Button
PIEPS Micro BT Race
PIEPS Micro BT Sensor
PIEPS POWDER BT
PIEPS PRO BT
PIEPS DSP PRO
PIEPS DSP SPORT
BLACK DIAMOND RECON
BLACK DIAMOND GUIDE

If you have one of these beacons, we ask that you immediately check and verify that the SEND/SEARCH/BLUETOOTH modes are working properly. If your beacon does not pass the Safety Check, you should retire it immediately and return it to PIEPS / BLACK DIAMOND for service, free-of-charge.

Instructions to perform the Safety Check and related information can be found here.

We will update you as more information becomes available.

PIEPS ­
­ ­ ­
­ ­ ­
­ Customer Services PIEPS:
support@pieps.com
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, cheers. Strangely I've not received the email, despite having a registered Pieps beacon.

Here's the link to the self check instructions, as they're not immediately obvious on the Pieps website.
Test instructions
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy