Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski holiday booking tactics 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've had plenty of threads speculating on what might happen with the season but no one really knows so how do we deal with the uncertainty of we want to try and ski?

I don't have all the answers but things I'm trying:

First thing to say is that I'm obviously lucky that I have a flat so that takes one issue away but TBH occupancy is likely to be low enough that finding accommodation is unlikely to be the problem? If we didn't have our place I'd be booking accommodation last minute.

Our kids have major exams in 2021 (at least the are supposed to... who knows?). One of the issues with the exam uncertainty is that all sort of other test and particularly mocks COULD take on a lot of importance as evidence for teacher assessments so we need to be careful with missing school / quarantine etc

Xmas/NY
We've booked some cheap flights for a long weekend at the start of the xmas holiday. The short trip means that the kids will be able to quarantine and still start school on time in Jan. If quarantine was to relax, flights look easy enough that we could extend our stay near the time.

Feb HT
We booked flights ages ago (a package from optiontown) - sunk cost now. As far as we know, kids will not have exams soon after HT. Their school is pretty well set up for online learning. We MIGHT still go and have them study on-line after. Depends on how they are getting on with school, what they want, etc. Of course quarantine could relax

The odd weekend
With optiontown you effectively get a package of free flights on a use it of lose it basis. I'm just going to book the flights out and see if we can use them.

Easter
We would normally drive out for a bit but exam revision means we are not planning on that. If the kids feel that a ski break would help and covid permits we may make a trip

As for the safety of skiing in covid, we'll be making one bubble journey a day in a small, single family group. We won't be going to busy bars. Will carry sandwiches if restaurants are too busy for comfort/safety. Overall it sounds low risk vs normal life in UK to me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've our own apt out there and we have some weeks put aside for our use, however, I'll still be waiting last minute to book a crossing then make a mad dash to get there. Isolation on return is no bother for us as we have decorating/revovating to do so I'll make myself busy with that. We only holiday on our own and we have no kids so no bother about missing school, I'm studying online anyway which I can do anywhere in the world as long as I get the time difference right when submitting my assignments Skullie
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, sounds as if you have got things as much organised as you can at this stage. Kids' exams do add significant constraints at the best of times: looking back, when daughter did A levels we had reconciled ourselves to just a half-term trip, but were able to add a last minute short break when she got her mock timetable and discovered she had a couple of free days when others had exams in different subjects so that teaching couldn't start. For GCSEs we did book trips at both New Year and half-term but kept Easter clear.

Now she is at University (Liverpool, we are about to hear how bad things are for her) and we are retired we have flexibility for last minute, possibly including quarantining. But we are not holding our breath.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy