Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bookings in free fall for French resorts

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, i don't think buffets happen any more ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rayscoops, Indeed they do, or did last season in Tignes. I think the Diva (Belhambra) still operated that model. At the higher end the 4 star Campanules sea food buffet was one of the hottest tickets in town (€70 ish, no booze inc).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, oh, I meant under the current Covid scenario - I have had friends returning from places like Turkey where buffets are a thing of the paste, certainly here in UK too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rayscoops, There was a buffet at the Austrian hotel I stayed in last month, operating as normal, although that was before current mask requirements came in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
@rayscoops, There was a buffet at the Austrian hotel I stayed in last month, operating as normal, although that was before current mask requirements came in.
Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Ciclamino hotel near Alleghe in the Dolomites scrapped their buffet antipasta this summer saying that such buffets were illegal in Italy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rayscoops, I had a nice relaxing break, but with all the fretting about buffets and gondolas, I don't think you'll enjoy yourself this year. Best stay home wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I had a nice relaxing break, but with all the fretting about buffets and gondolas, I don't think you'll enjoy yourself this year. Best stay home

Buffets and Gondolas are easily avoided. I'm not fretting about them. A much bigger problem is our local shopping centre where a number of people are refusing to wear masks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, lets hope then that in Austria you continue to stay positive through all of this wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure I see the problem with buffets, if properly regulated, particularly since there are no reported cases of infection via food. If you can queue at the proper social distance (the ghastly scrum to get to the buffet at the Portovescovo is definitely contra-indicated Shocked) all you need to do, when you get back to your table, is to sanitize your hands against the risk of picking the virus up from a previous user of the serving implements.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From what I understand most buffets now have staff serving you as you walk around.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and if not Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/WDplwOZlOEU&ab_channel=TRTWorldNow
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, aren't non mask wearing people in shopping centres easy to avoid too? can't say I have seen many except those with a reason not to wear a mask?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

aren't non mask wearing people in shopping centres easy to avoid too? can't say I have seen many except those with a reason not to wear a mask?

There are narrow pinch points. About 10% of people are not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly and yes I have stopped going.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn't wear a mask in a shopping centre - just in the shops themselves. As for buffets, I agree the risk from food is low but the risk from "surfaces" is probably even lower and there's a lot of fuss about them. Playing table tennis, for example, in bubbles, the table is supposed to be wiped down frequently and everybody is supposed to avoid handling other people's balls. It's all mad. Hard to keep a sense of proportion.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I am a long way from paranoid about Covid but there's no way I'd eat at a buffet right now.

pam w wrote:
As for buffets, I agree the risk from food is low but the risk from "surfaces" is probably even lower and there's a lot of fuss about them. .... It's all mad. Hard to keep a sense of proportion.

Puzzled
latest report
@pam w, why wouldn't you wear a mask in a shopping centre? Its no different to a department store
snow report
Quote:

everybody is supposed to avoid handling other people's balls.

Toofy Grin
Well someone was bound to say it
snow report
@johnE, Literally LOL
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
Shocked

johnE wrote:
The Ciclamino hotel near Alleghe in the Dolomites scrapped their buffet antipasta this summer saying that such buffets were illegal in Italy.

There was a buffet at the hotel I stayed at by Lake Garda last month. Guests had to wear masks when not seated at the table, and had to wear (provided, disposable) gloves while collecting food. Wasn't really that much of an imposition tbh. After that we stayed at a villa/guesthouse type thing in Tuscany, with no such precautions, but there were only 6 guests (3 couples).
snow conditions
just wear your ski gloves/mitts at the buffet, can't be that difficult to pick up food with them Very Happy
latest report
A few years ago in Egypt when scuba diving, so way before COVID came along, the hotels I stayed in usually had a huge rather impressive buffet set up for breakfast, lunch and dinner and they had hand sanitiser stations on entry and at various points within the dining area.

It makes a lot of sense what with many different hands mauling the tongs and serving spoons etc
That would be better than some gloves issued to each person surely as the gloves are only as clean as the hands that are donning them
snow report
table service rather than self service buffet seems like the solution ?
snow conditions
Everywhere I’ve been recently has been table service only but then they always were
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

everybody is supposed to avoid handling other people's balls.

Toofy Grin

When my golf course reopened after lockdown there was a huge sign outside the pro shop. “Would all golfers please avoid touching each other’s balls”.

I was so tempted to get a marker pen and insert the worlds “for the time being”.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes. So predictable. I just thought I'd get it over with. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Not sure I see the problem with buffets, if properly regulated, particularly since there are no reported cases of infection via food. If you can queue at the proper social distance (the ghastly scrum to get to the buffet at the Portovescovo is definitely contra-indicated Shocked) all you need to do, when you get back to your table, is to sanitize your hands against the risk of picking the virus up from a previous user of the serving implements.

I'm never quite able to get my head around the rational over food.

We've been repeated reassured food isn't a source of transmission. We're encouraged to eat out (outdoors), take out food to eat at home etc. So I can't quite figure out what's the problem with buffet. Surely, even if the food were contaminated by a Covid patient, the rest of the buffet goers won't be catching any more than say, our take-away food was prepared by a cook that's got Covid (assuming asymptomatic)?

On the other hand, if the food were contaminated with Covid virus, wouldn't you breath it in while chewing the food?
ski holidays
@abc, I don’t think it’s contamination that’s the issue, more the buffet scrum! Obviously people need to just take their time and give each other a bit of space, but all bets are off when the pancakes are produced Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abc, it’s not the food, it’s the interaction and grouping of people, communal serving utensils, people breathing and coughing over everything etc. - managing and mitigating the risk. I suppose sneezing and coughing on a salad whilst having covid wouldn’t be too clever though.

Buffets have been banned in the while of U.K. I believe and only table service is available.
snow report
@rayscoops, but as Hurtle suggested, assuming people having to keep “social distance” at the buffet, there wouldn’t be any grouping of people.

In the US, it’s pretty typical that buffet has a glass “dome” over the food. While not 100% effective, I’d think it would block a lot of the sneeze/cough from landing on the food. It’s also typically “required” that one only use clean plates from the plate stack instead of re-using one’s own plate.

I can see a lot of mitigation can be implemented to reduce the risk to pretty close to the level of eating in an indoor restaurant.

I’m not volunteering to eat in a buffet. I’m just not quite getting the rational of the prohibition.
snow report
@abc, people don’t though, the same as people don’t wear masks properly, wash hands properly, social distance properly or do much else properly ... covers and domes are just more things to be contaminated and touched. I am not sure buffets are even practical if 1.5 meters distance is to be maintained, there would be no space for the queue and everyone would be standing by the dining tables ... anything that removes risk is a good idea imho
snow conditions
Just stay at home Ray Razz
latest report
@abc,

im not worried about the sneeze glass - its people not using the utensils to pick up food, but instead use their hands
snow report
russ_e wrote:
Just stay at home Ray Razz

It's what I am planning to do - but it doesn't answer rayscoops' point.
snow report
I shan’t miss buffets
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, nor me. Looking for silver linings, this is one.

Cleaner toilets are another.
ski holidays
@maggi, totally agree on the cleaner toilet as one of the silver linings.

Less so for buffets. It can be made quite safe.

I think all these "distancing" practices will make the coming flu season a much less severe one. While I long for the days we can go back INTO restaurants and concerts when the pandemic is over, I hope they keep the plexiglas on the supermarket checkout counters.
snow report
The domestic holiday business has had it's best year ever in 2020

Airlines have been hit really hard.

Cruise ships, or floating petri dishes have been hit hardest in the travel industry. It's going to be interesting to see things evolve this season. The Alps were the epicentre of European Covid last year for no other reason than the outbreak started in February.
Queus, amd confined spaces aren't great for preventmg indection.
I can't see resorts that rely on a 160 person car fairing too well.

I'd expect to see digital IR thermometers everywhere. Which are actually very effective amd finding Covid - remember the Iceland Ischgl cases.....

Skiers, by theiir mature are hardy souls with a level of fitness.

Those of us in the events industry have beem hit hardest and the sector is dead until there's a vaccine.
latest report
Just blogged on this topic for skipedia the other day
https://www.skipedia.co.uk/2020/10/the-signs-are-not-very-positive-ski-resorts-prepare-for-a-tough-winter/

We might not perceive ourselves this way, but the fact is that our average spend is high relative to other nations and as the head of DSF puts it:

“The English market is a priority!”
snow report
"Hotel bookings 50% down in France for half term as families vote to stay at home amid new lockdown fears"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy