Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bookings in free fall for French resorts

Poster: A snowHead
I wouldn't eat a buffet pre covid days so if they are gone for good that is a blessing in my eye's.@cameronphillips2000, as for the IR thermometers it will depend on where they are placed, after getting all my gear on & queueing for 10 mins in my ski gear I guess I am a few degree up on normal.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've stayed in a few mountain huts with resident guardiens. Breakfast is a buffet - the most horrifying of which was Moede d'anterne somewhere above Chamonix. When staying in huts I like to get up early and eat my breakfast first while everyone is fighting over having a wash and packing their bags. This one morning I'd finished my breakfast and was sitting enjoying the last of my coffee while everyone piled in and crowded round the buffet... the first guy in the queue stood in front of the entire table of uncovered food and proceeded to cough loudly and repeatedly over everything for several minutes, then rubbed his hands over his face and decided to then touch every self serve untensil and jug there was...

The OH and I sat looking Shocked Shocked at each other then made a sharp exit before he walked past us coughing as he went. The routine of being first in the dining room has stuck with me for years, and it is reinforced everytime I see a queue building, impliments being touched and coughs/nose blows being had... sometimes you can't avoid buffets.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Extremophile, oh yes! Well worth getting down there first especially as some huts don’t have any running water and despite hand sanitisers being right there in front of people a lot don’t bother.
I have seen this with my own eyes for example leaving the toilets at Tete Rousse.
Then they go straight to the dining area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At another one near the Gran Paradiso there were about half a dozen bluebottles in the window at breakfast time casually settling on the bread and jam etc put out for breakfast
This was summer mind and during the heatwave so there were bluebottles even up that high!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
The domestic holiday business has had it's best year ever in 2020

I'm not positive on the "best year ever" for holiday business. People are traveling domestically but are they SPENDING?

I did 2 "travel" so far, which is quite normal for me (I don't travel much in summer, saving the time for ski trips). But I was CAMPING! Cooking at the campsite, with groceries taken out of my home frig, bought at home town supermarket (vegetable grown in own garden).

The cost of the my last trip of 4 day travel? $60/pp! (plus petrol, of course) That's not going to do much to float the "holiday business".

Yesterday, I was planning another "trip". And the thought of sleeping indoors in a building with many strangers doesn't exactly appeal. So camping it probably will be again. To make the economy matter worse for the "businesses", my favorite restaurant were closed for the season. So again, I'll end up cooking at the campsite with groceries I bought along from home.

I'm definitely not the only one doing that. I had to drive for an hour to get camp stove fuel canister because all the nearby shops had sold out of them! Who else is going camping and not spending at hotels and restaurants? Looks like the whole frigging world!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I spent two weeks in the West Country, with two other people, on a yacht in the summer - one short trip ashore only. We had planned to be independent of the shore for shopping as much as possible, but would have used the dinghy to go ashore for walks, had we not had to spend several days when we'd planned to exploring anchored up creeks to escape the two named storms which came our way. We wouldn't launch the dinghy in a gale. I had organised the first ten days meals, with an absolutely full plug-in coolbox to start with, with all the food in order - first out, first eaten. A combination of home made stuff and good supermarket meals (e.g. Waitrose duck breast in plum sauce - excellent). Then we had some "store cupboard" meals (many more than we needed) which was just as well as the only little shop we could get to had very little to offer. We stayed in only one marina (would have stayed in more, had they not all been full). So our contribution to the local economy of Dorset and Devon was almost non-existent. We did refuel in Dartmouth..... and we didn't get scurvy. Or run out of wine or gin and tonic. It was a VERY cheap holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Mr.Egg, according to this, the Germans ski the most

https://www.statista.com/statistics/801008/europe-number-of-people-skiing-by-country/

It also says that 6.3m Estonians ski........which is 4 times the population of Estonia?

I was in Chamonix at the weekend getting some new boots, and talking to a couple of local lads they are a little concerned bout the British not being able to travel for sure due to the disproportionally high amount of custom they bring.

It also was the quietest I've seen it, although October is one of the quietest months I suppose and it was a grey, damp day. In the summer it was rammed though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Extremophile, oh yes! Well worth getting down there first especially as some huts don’t have any running water and despite hand sanitisers being right there in front of people a lot don’t bother.
I have seen this with my own eyes for example leaving the toilets at Tete Rousse.

I've heard this with my own ears at work post Covid - people having a dump then leaving the loos without any audible sound of running water.

Still pre covid we got an email from building services saying they were investigating the person who was having sneaky poos around the site and were installing hidden cameras to catch them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I've heard this with my own ears at work post Covid - people having a dump then leaving the loos without any audible sound of running water.

Still pre covid we got an email from building services saying they were investigating the person who was having sneaky poos around the site and were installing hidden cameras to catch them.

Really? Post COVID and they still aren’t doing it?
Amazing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Amazing

I was shocked, shocked I tell you. No idea who is concerned but there is both a man and woman going around with pooeee hands
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Amazing

I was shocked, shocked I tell you. No idea who is concerned but there is both a man and woman going around with pooeee hands

Haha
There’s plenty of them in mountain huts I will tell you that for free
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
davidof wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Amazing

Haha

I think the last refuge I had the misfortune of staying in was the Tête Rousse - it smelt of poo. Not my idea of fun really.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
davidof wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Amazing

Haha

I think the last refuge I had the misfortune of staying in was the Tête Rousse - it smelt of poo. Not my idea of fun really.

It does stink yes
Maybe not in the rooms or the dining area but it does in the toilets
The toilets are those poop on a conveyor belt things with a foot lever to move it along
They melt snow up there to wash dishes etc though so I’m told.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Although this unlikely story claims 'half term holidays are close to full'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/half-term-ski-holidays-close-to-full/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
iainm wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/half-term-ski-holidays-close-to-full/

I know operators have slashed capacity since last season so 'full' could easily mean 30% of last year. I know people who have HT bookings but they are watching carefully what happens up to the point they have to shell out the full balance and they are only going with the likes of Crystal who seem to be offering the best Covid Ts&Cs.

Friends with New Year bookings have already decided it ain't happening and I've just canned a trip to Italy in early December due to drop outs. Everyone I speak to seems to be treading water, just watching and waiting.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
The domestic holiday business has had it's best year ever in 2020

I'm not positive on the "best year ever" for holiday business. People are traveling domestically but are they SPENDING?

I guess this depends on how "domestic holiday business" is being defined.

I've not long got back from two weeks in Scotland (which ironically was where we were always planning to holiday this year before COVID-19 became an issue) and whilst the B&Bs we stayed at might have had more people visiting from the UK, which might be considered an increase in "domestic holiday business", they were really hurting from the lack of American and Asian visitors. Not to mention the fact that many of them weren't able to open until early July (I think).

Add to that the fact that the campervan companies seem to be very busy, and you've got an increasing number of people who were holidaying within the UK but adding little to the local economies.

From the feedback I was getting from the B&B owners, this has been as far from the "best year ever" as it pretty much could be.
latest report
We had the best Summer yet for rentals in our Les Gets Chalet, I use a French agent and can only assume that it was the French Staycationing.
Bookings for this winter are on a par with usual, with the exception of January which for some reason is full!
I feel for the British companies and agencies, which I fear will take a big hit this year.
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:
iainm wrote:

I know operators have slashed capacity since last season so 'full' could easily mean 30% of last year. I know people who have HT bookings but they are watching carefully what happens up to the point they have to shell out the full balance and they are only going with the likes of Crystal who seem to be offering the best Covid Ts&Cs.

Friends with New Year bookings have already decided it ain't happening and I've just canned a trip to Italy in early December due to drop outs. Everyone I speak to seems to be treading water, just watching and waiting.

Boys trip last year was 8 of us. This year I have 2 confirmed no's and I suspect closer to the even that will go higher. Reckon it could be 3 or 4 of us!
latest report
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/majority-of-skiers-will-go-skiing-this-winter-even-if-quarantine/

75% would still go apparently, but not many putting their money on it.
ski holidays
susieski wrote:
@coxy84,
I voted Tory!!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 16-10-20 13:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
BoardieK wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/majority-of-skiers-will-go-skiing-this-winter-even-if-quarantine/

75% would still go apparently, but not many putting their money on it.

Its super easy to say you're happy to quarantine, when the quarantine is at this end back in the UK, its even easier to say you'll do it when you haven't had to quarantine yet. When it will be a family all stuck in a house for 2 weeks it is a completely different game!

When you're told you need to quarantine on arrival, pay for the hotel/chalet for a week can't ski etc. think it will be much lower than 75%
ski holidays
We have stopped selling holidays for departures before the first week in February and we are actively encouraging people to defer to March onwards. We are turning business away for any departures from now until end of January. I expect more suppliers to cease trading in the next 4-6 weeks.
ski holidays
Snowfinders wrote:
We have stopped selling holidays for departures before the first week in February and we are actively encouraging people to defer to March onwards. We are turning business away for any departures from now until end of January. I expect more suppliers to cease trading in the next 4-6 weeks.

And presumably Snowfinders ("small, independent") is also turning away anybody who voted Conservative in preference to a gang of anti-semitic, anti-British, anti-democracy lefties?
ski holidays
mitcva wrote:
Snowfinders wrote:

And presumably Snowfinders ("small, independent") is also turning away anybody who voted Conservative in preference to a gang of anti-semitic, anti-British, anti-democracy lefties?

No, we dont discriminate, despite misguided remarks such as yours. Madeye-Smiley .
snow report
Snowfinders wrote:

Interesting move. If we can't travel over Christmas/NY I am not convinced things will open up that quickly.

It's all I guessing game of course but if others follow your move the punters will have their minds made up for them I guess as far as Christmas/NY is concerned.
ski holidays
@Snowfinders, Are you selling catered chalets or self catered apartment holidays?

I can imagine running chalet holidays would be very challenging this year due to the mixing of households and needing to know now whether to hire staff.

We have booked self catering and one of the trips is early in the season. If the government reduce quarantine to 7 days plus a test as they say they will more UK customers may be able to travel. However this will depend on insurance, covid numbers at the time, whether other countries impose quarantine on us etc etc. I am expecting we will leave our decision to the last minute unless resorts say in advance that they are delaying opening.
latest report
France is expecting to lose 200,000 hotel and restaurant jobs over the next 6 months. About 20% of the total. At the same time ClubMed are recruiting 10,000 staff for this winter season (of course they can probably fire them again if they need to). About 30% of hotels, cafes and restaurants will close for good. To date it is the main tourist spots that have been hit: Paris, Loire valley, theme parks with visitor numbers up to 85% down. Will this roll on to ski resorts this winter?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 16-10-20 16:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
mitcva wrote:
Snowfinders wrote:

At the risk of derailing this topic, I'm continually astounded at the level of antipathy towards the Labor party in the UK. Not hailing from old Blighty originally I admit to not having ever experienced the full monty of what British Labour would look like, but someone pointed out the other day that since 1979, the UK has had a Conservative Govt for all bar 13 years. Whilst Blair had a dodgy dossier and a GFC (arguably the latter wasn't of his making), I'd suggest that austerity, Brexit and C-19 and how the Tories have responded to this hardly shows them to be the enlightened guardians of the UK they like to hold themselves up to be.....I mean partnering with the DUP had to be a fairly low point......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely derailing the topic................
ski holidays
Nothing wrong with Labour as such, but the Labour crew that stood at the last election were some real hard-left nasties. Corbyn being photographed holding a wreath in front a of a memorial to the founder of the Black September terrorist group was, to quote your phrase, a fairly low point...
latest report
@FrediKanoute, best to take this to apres Fred where it is a legitimate question.
snow report
Snowfinders wrote:
mitcva wrote:
Snowfinders wrote:

No, we dont discriminate, despite misguided remarks such as yours. Madeye-Smiley .

So either you're here to flog stuff, in which case it would be wise to get on with.
snow report
Snowfinders wrote:
susieski wrote:
@coxy84,
I voted Tory!!!

Or political agitant, in which case it would seem odd to represent yourself and apparently the company in such light.
snow conditions
mitcva wrote:
Snowfinders wrote:

Are you mental? How do you leap from one to the other? Although no doubt people who voted for the current shambles of getting Brexit done and mishandling COVID have largely contributed to the current woes/destruction of the UK ski travel industry.
latest report
Can we stay on topic please? It is becoming increasingly difficult to read what should be very straightforward threads. I come on here to escape news sites with divisive and toxic politics so if people want to talk about politics can you start a thread on that topic, rather than derail threads such as this one which was seeking to share info on how ski travel is shaping up for the winter.

This is really becoming endemic on Snowheads and it's a real shame.
ski holidays
@lynnecha, +1
latest report
@lynnecha, +1 also

Please @Dave of the Marmottes we now ALL know your thoughts on Brexit...please, please confine them to Brexit threads !
ski holidays
Agreed I don’t want to read the political stuff either there’s enough of it elsewhere if I do
latest report
rungsp wrote:
@lynnecha, +1 also

Please @Dave of the Marmottes we now ALL know your thoughts on Brexit...please, please confine them to Brexit threads !

So just leave people who start political rants of their own out of the blue to go unchallenged? rolling eyes Yes sir mr thread policeman.
snow report
I go skiing to get away from everyday life, including politics. But when people advertising their commercial wares on Snowheads insist on making political points (and even Graham/Admin himself does the same) then they mustn't surprised if they are called out. It does strike me that many Snowheads who promote chalet or holiday businesses on here seem oblivious of the fact that many of their paying customers may not share their political beliefs and would rather not be denigrated by the same people who are taking their money. Not a good business model, I'd say - but hey, each to their own.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy