Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European ski countries you can currently travel to/from (for UK-based skiers)

Poster: A snowHead
@Sitter, I know but now it has been suggested that they’ve changed it today to include the test on or just before entry so that may change the quarantine requirement possibly
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnHSmith, The rules in Germany are due to change on 15th October ie end of this week. There has been talk of revising the planned change but as far as I know it has not happened yet. The main change would be that a pre arrival negative test would no longer remove the need for quarantine for arrivals from "high risk" areas. If you are only planning to transit on the way to somewhere else eg Italy then you should not need to quarantine. Currently free tests on arrival with results in 24 hours are available at Munich airport, you dont have to have German health insurance to get one, again this is planned to stop by 15th October but that might be extended.

Also note the rapidly rising incidence in Germany, the 7 day rate is now nearly 30 which is well over the 20 figure the UK government has been using for defining "safe" countries. If this continues I would assume that Germany will get added to the UK list.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The way it’s going you will probably need a test for the way back too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I will save myself a lot of money this winter and just forget it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NewSki,
Quote:

Individuals who enter Austria from one of the following states (list A1) and have their residence in Austria or one of the following states:
Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic (except the region of Prague), Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France (except the regions of Paris/Île-de-France and Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur), Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kanada, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal (except the regions of Lisbon and Norte), Republic of Korea (South Korea), San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (Canary Islands only), Uruguay, Vatican City, United Kingdom, and Cyprus, do not have to present the medical certificate and are not subject to a quarantine if they can prove that they were not present in any other state than Austria and the states listed above within the last TEN days.

Agree that it is more than a little confusing. I am hopefully hitting St Anton 12-19 December then quarantining back in Blighty and avoiding the outlaws and extended family for the Christmas period #winning
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:

Looks like Austria changed its requirements for arrivals from the UK today - they now require a negative Covid-19 PCR test or quarantine on arrival.
https://www.salzburgerland.com/en/covid-19-travel-information/
(in German): https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20011194

Is this just Salzburgerland or Tirol too Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like Austria changed its requirements for arrivals from the UK today - they now require a negative Covid-19 PCR test or quarantine on arrival.
https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20011194

Yes this is accurate and is federal law. Beau-locks!

Can you get a test at Innsbruck airport and how long does it take?

Only comfort is this change remains in place until 31 December 2020.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
guessing not (testing at Innsbruck airport) https://www.innsbruck-airport.com/en/information-zu-covid-pcr-tests
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was just looking for a site somewhere that collated all this info in an easy to follow way...in case it's useful to anyone else, I found Wanderlust pretty simple to follow. Although they lose points for not having updated the Austria advice yet - so still a place for this thread for the most up to date hyper-local advice snowHead

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/coronavirus-travel-updates/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ChrisWo wrote:
I was just looking for a site somewhere that collated all this info in an easy to follow way...in case it's useful to anyone else, I found Wanderlust pretty simple to follow. Although they lose points for not having updated the Austria advice yet - so still a place for this thread for the most up to date hyper-local advice snowHead

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/coronavirus-travel-updates/

We use the IATA site (and our own hotline to FCDO!!)

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, thank you for that. We have friends with whom we could stay in München but the ideal plan was to get a test in the UK in the 48 hours before arrival just in case the free test at the airport took longer than anticipated and interferes with car hire etc. (I gather that they can have the results within 15 minutes but don’t guarantee this). We would be able to use the same UK test to enter Italy as the rules stand right now. And as long as no-one leaves and re-enters the vehicle in Austria, we should be OK.
The Italian rules look to be set until the end of January (but as with everything that can of course change)
Thank you for the warning about the potential forthcoming rules change. I will need to keep an eye on that
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2 week quarantine on return to the UK is added back onto Italy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JohnHSmith, I came through the airport a couple of weeks back. Getting the test took less than 5 minutes (I pre registered but even just walking up and filling the form on the spot would have taken no more than 10 minutes), the test centre is located practically next to the car hire desks. Not sure you can pay for faster results. Details here https://www.munich-airport.com/corona-tests-at-the-airport-9526455 . I know there is a EU wide plan for travel due to be introduced in the near future that may well impact on tests, risk areas etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sky scanner phone app also now has a useful interactive map. Usefully you can change origin of flight as well as destination.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@VolklAttivaS5, Yes they will check. You have to fill in an online form for the UK before you return to the UK.
Then if you are required to quarantine they will check (probably difficult for them to check everyone) but now fines for non compliance can be up to £10,000. I am aware of one person locally who has been fined.

I think you need to factor in a possible two week quarantine into your travel plans .

It is very likely that within Europe quarantine will be replaced by testing to fly so travel between some countries would involve testing both ways.

The UK is set to decide its approach to Test to fly no later than early Nov.
snow conditions
The Schengen countries are about to agree (today) an integrated Covid border system:

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1315916826010886144

"It’s an attempt by Brussels to avoid unilateral border closures between EU members and the collapse of the Schengen passport free travel area That we saw during the first corona virus wave

Under the scheme, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) will publish a map (to be updated weekly) that categories EU regions (not whole countries) into green, orange and red zones (or grey, for insufficient data)"

The ECDC map of regions and cases is here:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 13-10-20 9:25; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@brnttptr, I think there will be a test requirement each way too. It makes a lot more sense and surely would be a more cost effective way of doing things instead of phoning people up to check they are doing the quarantine or turning up on their doorstep to check. Very difficult to do that for everyone who needs to quarantine! It would be a nightmare.
I would definitely do the quarantine if there was one because of my job for one thing plus lots of other reasons besides.

My only concern with the test each way is, if you test positive then is it really positive because of the false positive rate so you would then have to cancel your plans within a day or so of leaving. If you test positive on the way home are you going to be stuck there?
snow conditions
Cool @JohnHSmith,

The tests used widely in Europe are the Rapid Antigen tests and get results in 15 mins. Many airports do them free of charge but even privately they are not expensive (€35 is what I have been quoted locally i. Italy)

Within the UK Rapid Antigen Tests are not widely available (as I have found out to my cost. The nearest Antigen test location to me is over an hour away and will charge £210!!!!!!!)Instead the UK mainly use the PCR test which privately costs realistically a minimum of £200 if you want the results within a 48 hour time frame.

The risk as I see it is that if you arrive in a country and test positive, be it a false positive or real positive you will have to go into immediate quarantine at your own cost.
latest report
brnttptr wrote:
Cool @JohnHSmith,

The risk as I see it is that if you arrive in a country and test positive, be it a false positive or real positive you will have to go into immediate quarantine at your own cost.

This is what kills it for me-as much as I love skiing.
I can’t be bothered with the stress of the wondering.
I think I shall be sampling the delights of British winter mountaineering this year!
The Alps will still be there another year. I’ve done more than my fair share of skiing so it won’t hurt me to leave it alone for a season.
latest report
@brnttptr, where was the nearest Rapid Antigen Test location to you anyway out of interest?
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, In most of Wales (population wise) we are restricted from travelling out of our city or county boundaries for non essential travel such as holidays ... it’s impossible to plan with any certainty
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5,

As far as I understand if you test positive you will not be able to travel irrespective of where you are.
In Italy you then quarantine and can only come out of quarantine after two negative tests.

If a rapid antigen test shows positive you can take another test to make sure its not a false positive or take a more expensive PCR test ( but although more accurate has to go to a lab so will take 2-4 days to come back unless you pay premium rates for a guaranteed two day result)
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5,
https://www.southdownsprivatehealthcare.co.uk/locations/emsworth-clinic-at-hampshire-health
latest report
@brnttptr, thanks. As I thought it is just too much hassle for my tastes. I shall take the opportunity to save some money and do other things instead Cool
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20011194

Yes this is accurate and is federal law. Beau-locks!

I am still trying to get confirmation about this - it's still not being reported anywhere else. Nothing on the main Austria Tourism Board, Tirol TB, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, official EU site, etc...

The whole text is very confusing, with lots of ammendments on different dates; I'm not sure if it's more just a record of all changes to the law (over the whole summer) rather than saying that is the current situation today? Despite the October date at the top, in he preamble they link to change in law from May, and further down the page refer to changes in June, July, August, etc. And at the bottom the UK is on the same list as countries like Germany, whose citizens are definitely allowed to come here...

Can't be 100% sure either way though!
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, Wise decision.
snow conditions
@brnttptr, thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
Update:

clarky999 wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:
pardon my ignorance, the whole situation has me bamboozled Puzzled
I've booked a hotel for Austria in January and have free cancellation until the end of November, do I need to quarantine in Austria? or does a negative test exempt me from quarantining?

At the moment you only need to quarantine upon your return to the UK (not in Austria). However the situation is more likely to change before January than to remain the same.

please see part 2 https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information, even more confused now Shocked

Not really confusing, you just need to read all the bits that make clear that that's the US Embassy site applicable for US citizens wink

This is the main Austrian Tourism Board site: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Quote:
Entry Requirements for UK Residents
UK residents can freely enter Austria, without the need for a medical certificate or self-quarantine. This only applies if you have not been to any countries considered a COVID-19 risk area in the past 10 days.
The UK government currently advises against all but essential travel to Austria. When you return from Austria to the UK, you will need to quarantine for 14 days.
All travellers arriving in the UK need to provide their journey and contact details to the UK government (online and in advance). Learn more here.

https://www.salzburgerland.com/en/covid-19-travel-information/
(in German): https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20011194

Are you sure that's up to date? Of all the sites they link to, only https://www.ris.bka.gv.at have the same info... And I can't find any where else reporting it either Puzzled

Ok, I have been told that this HAS been inccorectly interpreted, and that this is the relevant clause:

Quote:
(6) Die von Abs. 5 erfassten Personen haben glaubhaft zu machen, dass sie in den letzten 10 Tagen in keinem anderen Staat als Österreich oder den in der Anlage A1 genannten Staaten aufhältig waren.

Deepl Translation:

Quote:
Those persons covered by para. 5 are required to provide credible evidence that they have not been resident in any state other than Austria or the states listed in Annex A1 in the last 10 days.

So basically, you would need a test (or quarantine) if you cannot prove you were in one of these countries for the last 10 days:

Quote:
Staaten gemäß § 2 Abs. 2, §2 Abs. 3, § 2 Abs. 5, § 2 Abs. 6 und § 3
AustralienBelgien

Dänemark

Deutschland

Estland

Finnland

Frankreich (mit Ausnahme der Regionen Île-de-France und Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur)

Griechenland

Irland

Island

Italien

Japan

Kanada

Lettland

Liechtenstein

Litauen

Luxemburg

Malta

Monaco

Neuseeland

Niederlande

Norwegen

Polen

Portugal (mit Ausnahme der Regionen Lissabon und Norte)

Republik Korea

San Marino

Schweden

Schweiz

Slowakei

Slowenien

Spanien – nur die Kanaren

Tschechien mit Ausnahme der Region Prag

Ungarn

Uruguay

Vatikan

Vereinigtes Königreich

Zypern

= For most Brits no problem to travel (as confirmed by the main Austrian Tourism Board, Tirol Tourism Board, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 13-10-20 10:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, thanks for finding out
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
How do they go about checking someone is self isolating then? On the return to the UK?
You provide your home address. You go straight home after leaving the airport.
What happens then? Random knocks at the door to check you’re in?

Been back from Austria for 2 weeks now, today was my first day of freedom after 14 days quarantine. No knocks at the door or any other attempt at contact from the authorities.
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
How do they go about checking someone is self isolating then? On the return to the UK?
You provide your home address. You go straight home after leaving the airport.
What happens then? Random knocks at the door to check you’re in?

Been back from Austria for 2 weeks now, today was my first day of freedom after 14 days quarantine. No knocks at the door or any other attempt at contact from the authorities.

I’d have been surprised if there was to be honest
Too many to keep tabs on
snow report
Friend of my son's girlfriend back from France, isolating 'sort of'. A few days ago phone rang, it was the police, asking how her isolation was. "Yes, no problem sticking to the rules." "Right then, would you please mind answering the door then? We've been ringing your doorbell for 5 minutes." £1,000.
ski holidays
@noggy, oooh
They must do spot checks of some sorts
latest report
I’d never get away with it, not only would it be irresponsible doing the job I do but also there’s too much evidence I’d been to work!
snow conditions
I won’t be going anywhere abroad this winter unless my trip to Banff in March comes off (free cancellation and have refrained from booking the flight what with it usually being £500-700 return). I can’t see the Canadians opening the border to international (non essential) travellers unless some sort of negative test on entry is required or quarantine on arrival so it amounts to the same ‘what ifs’
ski holidays
noggy wrote:
Friend of my son's girlfriend back from France, isolating 'sort of'. A few days ago phone rang, it was the police, asking how her isolation was. "Yes, no problem sticking to the rules." "Right then, would you please mind answering the door then? We've been ringing your doorbell for 5 minutes." £1,000.

Moral of the story - don’t answer the phone (I was asleep). Or follow the rules.
latest report
Neil Neige wrote:
A subject surely deserving of its own thread.
I think the list is currently looking like this:
- Germany (ish)
- Scotland
- Greece
- Sweden
I've been meaning to try a Greek ski trip for a while - may have no other choice this winter!
www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53221896

Does anyone know if this list is still accurate?
If it is, I guess Sweden is looking like the best bet for a proper week away with guaranteed snow...
snow report
Good news - there's a new country to add to the list.
Denmark.
However, not entirely sure Copenhill's appeal could stretch to a full week!
www.copenhill.dk/
ski holidays
Meanwhile Germany is to introduce a one-month partial lockdown from Monday November 2nd. Amongst the changes of significance for any people considering travelling to/through Germany:

Restaurants and bars will close, except for take-away
Large events will be canceled again
Unnecessary travel is discouraged
and of particular importance: Overnight stays in hotels, except for in emergency situations, is banned
snow conditions
@Neil Neige, I've been looking at Sweden myself - flight Manchester to Stockholm internal flight up to Ostersund. Then one hour 15 mins tf by road to Are. The problem is the fact that the Swedes themselves have being staying at home this summer on staycations as confirmed by a friend of ours who lives and works in Stockholm, been informed that this will be the case for the coming season so Are is likely to be exceptionally busy this season. So all the Scandi dudes hanging out in Engelbert, Andermatt, Chamonix, Zermatt etc will be in their own back yard. I'm now on plan G and slowly accepting that this season may be a non starter. May have to spend more time cycling this winter to be in peak form for 2021/22 season. It also remains to be seen if Sweden goes into lockdown like France and Germany. Who knows, it's a case of watch this space. I'm fortunate in that my wife and I are flexible time wise and can take a 14 day quarantine on return home if required. Weird times all round, stay focused. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy