Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atris Touring Binding. Shift? or alternate.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased the Black Crow Atris (108mm). I am looking to buy a binding with some touring capabilities, to get to some interesting spots.

I was looking at the Atomic Shift, and heard it comes wide. e.g. the 100mm shift, could fit a 108mm ski. Is there any truth to this?

And is there an alternate binding that you guys could recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Al
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have touring/pin boots?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That’s exactly the setup I have for lift-based skiing (Atris/ Shift). AIUI the 100mm brakes are not quite wide enough so you’ll need the 110mm wide ones. @spyderjon (who told me this, and sold me them) may be along to comment later.

It’s a great setup, I really like it for powder and mixed offpiste conditions, and it’s good onpiste too, but it’s not ideal for longer tours (for which I have a lighter set of touring skis)

As @washout says, you’ll need boots with tech binding inserts to use the Shifts in skinning mode
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LaTaniaLoon, Can't comment on the Atomics but I'd highly recommend the Radical 2's, i've skied them for 3-4 years (used to have heavy Beasts and these are a massive improvement) the Rad 2's are excellent and very planted. My skiing is 95% down and 5% up and i've never had issues even on hardpack at speed.

As above talk to Spyderjon, he knows all about this stuff.....and a great guy to buy from
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on how much 'up' you are planning ?

I'd second @Markymark29 on the Rad2s but I'd hesitate on those for really hard resort skiing (ie bumps), where Shifts may be a better choice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have Shifts on 104mm and 114mm skis and completely happy with both set ups for in resort and touring (ok, over 1200m vert up the weight is noticeable compared to superlight tech bindings).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shift does exactly what you expect, it's an alpine binding that can tour, no major flaws to it. If you are strong and tour a fair amoint per season (like clarky) you can use it for longer tours as well.

Of course you can also just slow down a tour, only time it sucks is when you go with someone who has a dedicated touring setup..... either you will die of exhaustion or the other will get bored.

I have beaten the radical 2 (now called rotation) for 3 seasons on my 108 beasts as well and I love it, pretty intuitive and I never had a pre release. However, it's maybe telling that I put the shift on my 120 x 194 monsters.

Lighter weight (but not by a lot) the Salomon MTN is a strong binding, not for super light skiers and release values may vary but its well built and the toe holds great for a wider ski.

Personally I don't rate ATK for powerful skiing but that's just me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it will be (Resort:Touring) probably a 70:30 mix between the two. More for the hard to reach places & back country. It will be my first touring binding, as i will probably buy alpine touring boots.

I can't justify a complete touring ski set up, unfortunately

Thank you for help everyone. It is greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Inboard, What skins did you purchase for your Atris? Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dulcamara wrote:
......Personally I don't rate ATK for powerful skiing but that's just me.

ATK now have an adjustable 'Freeride Spacer' which supports the boot heel on their freeride touring models which really ups the power transmission at the heel compared to regular tech heels. It comes as standard with the Freeraider 14 and it's an optional extra for the Raider 12 model and the new C-Raider 12.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The guy with the comment directly above is the guy who can sort you out! (That reminds me I have to give him a phone for some resqski thingies)

Re skins, have a look at the colltex whizz would be a good start.

What you are describing with the 70/30 I think the shifts are your answer, also another option would be the new marker dukes PT but personally I dont see they have raised the bar on the shifts. Only major downside of the bindings mentioned above is they need touring boots to go up the hill. General opinon is pin boots are not as good on the down but the margin is getting smaller. There is another option of a frame binding but there is a lot of negatives on the up ie heavy weight, crap pivot point etc but these will ski like a normal alpine binding and work with a normal ski boot.

If you do go down the a more dedicated touring binding route ie dynafit rotation 2 as mentioned above there is a few good options from different manufacturers I just picked up a brand new set of marker alpinist 12's of fleebay for £170. I wasnt planning to get a dedicated touring set up but with covid carry on I might be glad to sneak a few days at the local hills (glenshee/aviemore) this season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WASHOUT wrote:
The guy with the comment directly above is the guy who can sort you out! (That reminds me I have to give him a phone for some resqski thingies)

Re skins, have a look at the colltex whizz would be a good start.

What you are describing with the 70/30 I think the shifts are your answer, also another option would be the new marker dukes PT but personally I dont see they have raised the bar on the shifts. Only major downside of the bindings mentioned above is they need touring boots to go up the hill. General opinon is pin boots are not as good on the down but the margin is getting smaller. There is another option of a frame binding but there is a lot of negatives on the up ie heavy weight, crap pivot point etc but these will ski like a normal alpine binding and work with a normal ski boot.

If you do go down the a more dedicated touring binding route ie dynafit rotation 2 as mentioned above there is a few good options from different manufacturers I just picked up a brand new set of marker alpinist 12's of fleebay for £170. I wasnt planning to get a dedicated touring set up but with covid carry on I might be glad to sneak a few days at the local hills (glenshee/aviemore) this season.

I have Nordica Striders and I think they are pretty much as good as any alpine boot I've had control wise (except perhaps my proper race boots - which give up quite a lot on the warmth/comfort stakes!)
I too have Shifts mounted on 2 pairs of skis, and I am very impressed with them. I don't do massive tours on them but, they are infinitely better than frame bindings for going up, and I have the full confidence to really charge on them going down (which I don't think I'd have with tech toepieces)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LaTaniaLoon, Skins - Black Crows Trim to fit (you need the 135mm wide ones). They’re made by Contour and are excellent - I’d also happily use Contour’s own-brand ones. (I’ve used Colltex and Black Diamond in the past and not got on with them, especially for glue-related reasons).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
dulcamara wrote:
......Personally I don't rate ATK for powerful skiing but that's just me.

ATK now have an adjustable 'Freeride Spacer' which supports the boot heel on their freeride touring models which really ups the power transmission at the heel compared to regular tech heels. It comes as standard with the Freeraider 14 and it's an optional extra for the Raider 12 model and the new C-Raider 12.

Hehe, for semi obvious reasons I don't want to get into specifics openly. But personally I wouldn't buy the raider for freeriding if I'm expecting to crash
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also have a think about the mounting point on the atris. I have the 189 and feel they are a bit too far forward. It really annoys me.
ski holidays
Super Tennents wrote:
Also have a think about the mounting point on the atris. I have the 189 and feel they are a bit too far forward. It really annoys me.

Really. I've mounted a lot of them and the factory line seems spot on. And for anyone that does a bit of jibbing/butters etc I usually mount them at +1cm.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, indeed. A lot of the BC team riders ski the Atris at +2.

There is a lengthy thread from me earlier this year regarding a string of double ejections I had from my 184 Atris in crappy snow. For me, it isn't that the mount point is too far forward, it's more that the ski really doesn't like having the tips driven - which is how I've tended to approach skiing in poor conditions in the past. I concluded that it was a technique problem rather than a gear problem.
ski holidays
Suppose that julien regnier mounting it -2 back is due to technique as well. Cool
ski holidays
@Super Tennents, yeah. Putting my crappy skiing to one side for the moment, Julien Regnier skis it at +2. So does Nikolai Schirmer. https://blisterreview.com/featured/black-crows-skis-1819-lineup-ep-7 There's a discussion on mounting points about 21 minutes in.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy