Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
The current understanding on advice given to the ski areas is that general lift served recreational snowsports is not ‘organised’ with respect to these regulations. However, generally ski school tuition would be an ‘organised’ activity, but there are some exemptions for junior coaching (people can travel from level 3 areas for that purpose both as participants and enablers / coaching staff).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Guardian on Scottish issues presently - and wise words from our very own 'Peter S' regarding south of the border too.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/nov/27/scotland-ski-resorts-in-limbo-potential-bumper-season-looming?fbclid=IwAR2wuqo6-oo9UXs3haHttuCAukPzk0xToztEoVaT2gRYtuE_ehmSiFyKqjo
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're gonna get 50-100cm the coming week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sprinkle at 100m in Edinburgh, Pentlands white. Webcams show cover at most centres and remains cold and snowy next few days. Hope it sticks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Right Pentlands Alps are in play, good 3 inches here at 100m so off up Allermuir to see what it’s like. Woken at 04:30 with thunder and lightning and snow !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
orange wrote:
Right Pentlands Alps are in play, good 3 inches here at 100m so off up Allermuir to see what it’s like. Woken at 04:30 with thunder and lightning and snow !

Scared the bejezus out of me, woke me up and didnt get back to sleep.

Lovely christmassy look around the last 2 days
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GreenDay, Thundersnow!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decent fall at the Lecht in the past 24 hours, piste bashers have been out and the Buzzard Poma runs have been groomed, but not yet quite enough on the main side of the road. Snowmaking continuing on the nursery slopes, maybe something before the planned opening on 19th Dec if there is a bit more snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Decent fall at the Lecht in the past 24 hours
Glencoe looking very white too....What's the betting that the snow & weather gods are going to take the pee with marvellous conditions - rather like they did at the start of Lockdown 1 .... Confused

So frustrating.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.facebook.com/111429118884878/posts/4111765452184538/?sfnsn=scwspmo

Glencoe looking good and about to get a load more today.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Praying for a move to Level 2 so I can go and play
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Praying for a move to Level 2 so I can go and play
Praying for epic snow so that we can get up there for some lift assisted or ski touring turns at any point up to and including June 2021... rolling eyes

I'm not holding my breath though Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was hoping to get to Austria in Jan - now that's farked and I can't even go to Scotland. It might be time to join the Lake District Ski Club but even they won't let me in yet because I'm in Tier 3. I've been sober for nearly 8 years but it's enough to make you turn to the bottle.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
It might be time to join the Lake District Ski Club but even they won't let me in yet because I'm in Tier 3
We're in the same boat boisdevie - but are members of Weardale Ski Club, which is located in Tier 3.

We had two days up there last weekend - one day with the lift on and one ski touring when it was closed.

Membership is still available - so that could yet save the day for you Very Happy....snowfall permitting.

http://www.skiweardale.com/#tickets
snow conditions
Hoping to make a trip to Scotland this season (as long as we are allowed). I’ve skied at all Scottish resorts with the exception of Glenshee. What’s it like in comparison to say Nevis (my preferred Scottish report). Fingers crossed for some decent snowfall soon to start building that crucial base
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Glenshee more spreadout & more lifts than Nevis, no back corries, but it's a decent area IMHO as long as most of the uplift is working! Had some lovely fresh snow there 2 seasons ago!
snow conditions
@kitenski, I only ski on piste so the Corries aren’t really of importance to me. Is the skiing mainly on grass at glenshee, or is the ground rocky like glencoe?
ski holidays
Mostly tussock and heather, rocky in places , main issue over the Glas Maol side is enough snow to cover the burns but when it's in the terrain is really good and can soak up a lot of people. Usual rules for this year - book in advance for tickets etc
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Loads more pistes then Nevis then at Glenshee, also two very different "feels" to either side of the road.
snow conditions
@orange, i wonder how it will work with "booking in advance". If there's decent snow, will booking the day before be classed as in advance?
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Ricklovesthepowder, Loads more pistes then Nevis then at Glenshee, also two very different "feels" to either side of the road.

Sounds perfect. Now for some decent snow, COVID to figure its bull$hit out, and off we go!
snow report
Glencoe have said this on advance tickets

To ensure a safe environment this winter all passes will be sold online and numbers will be set depending on the snow / weather conditions and number of lifts open.
The booking system is not fully live yet, it only currently has season passes and Access Chairlift tickets for sale https://glencoe.skicloud.co.uk/book/lift-tickets
Other tickets and ski hire will go online in the next week.
How the system will work is that a small number of tickets for each day of the season will go online immediately. However the bulk of the tickets will only be available a few days in advance. This will allow us to monitor weather and snow conditions and set the correct limit on tickets for that day. In periods of settled weather and good snow conditions this could be weeks in advance. In periods of stormy weather this could be the evening before.

The full T & C's on what will happen regarding lift passes and ski hire if we are forced to close early or open late are shown below:-
If the mountain has to close before 11am a full refund (if requested) will be give on both lift tickets and ski hire.
If the mountain is closed between 11am and 2pm a half day refund will be given on lift tickets and ski hire.
If the mountain is forced to close after 2pm no refund will be given.
If the mountain is late in opening then you will be able to either enjoy a slightly shorter days skiing, transfer your ticket to another day or seek a full refund.
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, All ski areas are having to make restrictions about numbers, its best to check their websites for up to date information, this is the link to Glenshee https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/#GoodToGo
ski holidays
Aberdeenshire has just been put into Scottish Tier 3. Does that affect/change anything vis Glenshee?
snow report
@Grizzler, All of Glenshee is in Aberdeenshire, The Lecht is partly in.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Glencoe have said this on advance tickets

To ensure a safe environment this winter all passes will be sold online and numbers will be set depending on the snow / weather conditions and number of lifts open.
The booking system is not fully live yet, it only currently has season passes and Access Chairlift tickets for sale https://glencoe.skicloud.co.uk/book/lift-tickets
Other tickets and ski hire will go online in the next week.
How the system will work is that a small number of tickets for each day of the season will go online immediately. However the bulk of the tickets will only be available a few days in advance. This will allow us to monitor weather and snow conditions and set the correct limit on tickets for that day. In periods of settled weather and good snow conditions this could be weeks in advance. In periods of stormy weather this could be the evening before.

The full T & C's on what will happen regarding lift passes and ski hire if we are forced to close early or open late are shown below:-
If the mountain has to close before 11am a full refund (if requested) will be give on both lift tickets and ski hire.
If the mountain is closed between 11am and 2pm a half day refund will be given on lift tickets and ski hire.
If the mountain is forced to close after 2pm no refund will be given.
If the mountain is late in opening then you will be able to either enjoy a slightly shorter days skiing, transfer your ticket to another day or seek a full refund.

Makes perfect sense.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
@kitenski, I only ski on piste so the Corries aren’t really of importance to me. Is the skiing mainly on grass at glenshee, or is the ground rocky like glencoe?

Is that a misnomer, then, Rick? Do you only love powder if it's on piste? Puzzled wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grizzler wrote:
Aberdeenshire has just been put into Scottish Tier 3. Does that affect/change anything vis Glenshee?

Not operationally, but limits who can legally travel much more tightly (and they can’t sell alcohol in the licensed cafes). Basically it’s Aberdeenshire and Perth & Kinross private playground, still opening a couple of beginner greens on Saturday.
snow conditions
haggishunter wrote:
Grizzler wrote:

Not operationally, but limits who can legally travel much more tightly (and they can’t sell alcohol in the licensed cafes). Basically it’s Aberdeenshire and Perth & Kinross private playground, still opening a couple of beginner greens on Saturday.

And Angus as the Angus Boundary runs over the Summit of Glas Maol so also falls within the 5 mile limit of the local authority boundary rule.
snow report
Yes, but Angus is tier 2, so not allowed to travel into tier 3.
ski holidays
I'm not convinced about the accuracy of some of the info above. It is a bit confusing, so here's my take on it.

Travel is permitted up to 5 miles beyond your own council area for "local informal outdoor exercise" regardless of the levels both areas are in. This is listed as a permitted exemption in the current official guidance for Scotland.

I'd be confident that walking and (non lift-assisted) ski touring would qualify as "local informal outdoor exercise", but I'm not sure about using the lifts and pistes at the ski centres. I would be inclined to say that would be pushing it, which in my opinion isn't a responsible thing to do at the moment. (And using the cafes, ski hire etc. even less so.)

In addition, if you don't live in the part of the council area near to the boundary, is it still "local" exercise to cross it?

As for the boundaries themselves...

Glencoe's ski area is fully in Highland, but also within 5 miles of both Argyll & Bute and Perth & Kinross.

Glenshee's ski lifts are fully in Aberdeenshire (just), but also within 5 miles of both Perth & Kinross and Angus.

Most of The Lecht's lifts are in Moray, but some are in Aberdeenshire, including some road level ones.

So there are various permutations of what is within the rules depending on 1. whether lift served skiing counts as "informal" exercise, and 2. what counts as "local". What do others think?

At the moment it's hypothetical for me because Edinburgh is in level 3 and there aren't any ski centres within 5 miles of the boundary anyway. wink
latest report
Apart from Hillend of course Very Happy
snow conditions
Its currently 10 degrees C at 7am in Edinburgh Shocked so any thought of a white Christmas or skiing - regardless of area tiers - is a bit of a moot point right now anyway..........

I am just hunkering down for the next month or so, hoping for a good late Feb/March with - hopefully - relaxation of tiers and snow to allow some fun in the hills.
ski holidays
Models look cold next week with snow from east so fingers crossed
snow report
orange wrote:
Apart from Hillend of course Very Happy

I think Hillend is in the Midlothian area not Edinburgh, so also out of bounds for organised activity.
ski holidays
The understanding the ski areas have is that general lift served recreational snowsports like individual use of golf courses which is explicitly mentioned in guidance to the regulations counts as 'informal' for the purposes of the regulations which put travel restrictions on a legal footing. Snowsports instruction and youth coaching through clubs would be classified as organised - rules differ by age as well as Covid restriction level.

There is a bit of a muddle about 5 miles and into a level 3 area because of "The regulations prohibit travel without a reasonable excuse into or out of a Level 3 or 4 local authority area" - while the 5 mile rule is one of those exceptions, the understanding I have is that the regulations allow it only out of a level 3 area not into it. Puzzled

Further, the general 5 mile rule is from the boundary of a level 3 council, this exemption does not apply to general informal recreation in level 4. The Lecht is currently seeking some clarity on the implications, they will operate the base as if it were under level 3 restrictions though the Daylodge is in level 1 - there are conflicting reports in the press today with some saying only Highland and Moray can travel to it and others only Aberdeenshire. The first is definitely wrong, if Highland and Moray can travel to the Lecht then it applies to all level 1 and 2 councils, including those from whom travel requires transit through a level 3 (or if applicable level 4) area.

There would be no reason in law to restrict the whole of the Lecht ski area to Aberdeenshire residents, if enforcement was to be completely pedantic you could split the ski area into Aberdeenshire skiers and non Aberdeenshire skiers in Moray, with the Robin Magic Carpet, Grouse Poma and SE off it for Aberdeenshire skiers, the Wren carpet, Falcon, Harrier, Kestrel and Buzzard for level 1 and 2 people, with the Snowy Owl Chairlift either shared or out of bounds in no mans land loading in level 1 and unloading in level 3! Laughing Toofy Grin

Another one to add in is that the whole of the CairnGorm ski patrol area is within 5miles of the Aberdeenshire Council boundary as well as the Moray boundary though the ski area is entirely within Highland. Only the Lecht actually straddles a council boundary. However that is a bigger stretch of the 5 mile thing than the Perth and Kinross to Glencoe, as you can not travel from Aberdeenshire to Cairn Gorm Mountain by road without passing through an intermediary council between Aberdeenshire and Highland (You can via Loch Laggan and the A86 get from Perth and Kinross to Glencoe without passing through another council)!
snow conditions
@haggishunter, ha, thanks for "clarifying" things Laughing Shocked
ski holidays
Interesting article for anyone interested in the history of skiing at Glenshee

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/nostalgia/2747803/glenshee-isolation-evacuations-and-snow-fun-at-the-uks-largest-ski-centre/?fbclid=IwAR1KwTFxkGlmzo4iiGy2iR8SjE48hL2uM08E8RutsAwNAcXFygF7Grr15hI
snow conditions
Quote:
Further, the general 5 mile rule is from the boundary of a level 3 council, this exemption does not apply to general informal recreation in level 4. The Lecht is currently seeking some clarity on the implications, they will operate the base as if it were under level 3 restrictions though the Daylodge is in level 1
Yes, all very clear ... It's as though Danny Kaye wrote the regs Very Happy :

The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy