Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@snowball, if you're staying at Ballachulish, you're only a few minutes drive from the chairlift at Glencoe ski centre which will get you within 15 minutes of skinnable snow. If you don't want to ski the resort's runs, you can head up to Meall a Bhuiridh's summit and look along the ridge line that links the mountain to Creise where you should see some lovely skiable terrain.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Tom,Dick&Harry gullies
Classic Gaellic names I see?? wink

Sounds very appealing geoffers

A few Qs for you...

- Where's the parking spot?
- How long is the hike in?
- Are the gullies of reasonable gradient (ie not extreme)?
- Are the gullies named on the map? (How can I find them?)
- Sounds as though the snow finishes at the car - or is it a hike out too?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Tom,Dick&Harry gullies
Classic Gaellic names I see?? wink

Sounds very appealing geoffers

A few Qs for you...

- Where's the parking spot? near Auchlean
- How long is the hike in? depending on snow limit - a couple of km
- Are the gullies of reasonable gradient (ie not extreme)? easy - not extreme
- Are the gullies named on the map? (How can I find them?) N.facing streams off Meall Dubhag (Coire Gorm)
- Sounds as though the snow finishes at the car - or is it a hike out too? no - it's a hike out too

Times we've been up there driving north (ie viewing the S. facing slopes) you start thinking "blimey - why have I come all this way" as there's no snow visible on the S. elevations. However once you get up top it can look like near full snow cover facing south & viewing the N facing slopes Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 19-04-21 13:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the suggestion.@geoffers.

@moffatross, surely the access lift is most likely to be closed at Glencoe(?) Yes, of course, I'd go there and ski the pistes - the access slope looks less of a climb than some, if the lifts are shut. I've not skied the off-piste there but happy to try.

I know a few Cairngorm descents (Diagonal gully, Alladins) and the back of Aonach More (on its East side - I have only heard of the gullies to the West (Rush etc) recently on buying the off-piste book). That Carn Mor Dearg slope looked fabulous but all that Nevis area is intimidatingly far to walk, assuming the access lift is closed. I should say I don't have especially light touring gear.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowball, Glencoe Ski Resort's access chairlift is open (COVID and weather permitting) all spring and summer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowball Looks like the Nevis Range gondola is due to open 28 April
https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/plan-your-visit/opening-hours/

Check out this video of skiing CMD

http://youtube.com/v/z-8j-BtPbwQ
I reckon they got the gondola up then walked on path S.W;
then dropped down into Allt Daim; sidestepping at 0:28 I think you can see the gondola/cafe mid left in the saddle, so that's the Goose hidden behind the ridgeline behind the skier;
then where they're skinning with harscheisen at 0:45 is on the shoulder of Carn Beag Dearg looking NW at Fort Bill; after that plodding up the ridge with the Ben on the right.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 19-04-21 13:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh well, if the two access lifts will be open then that transforms things. I am surprised the Abacus guides didn't mention this. Does the normal back skiing at Aonach More still have enough snow to ski?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geoffers, @mountainaddict, on Monday last week (12 Apr) the snow was down to c550m in those TDC gullies. They had fresh ski tracks in them, I suspect from the previous day. I doubt there will have been substantial retreat of the consolidated snowline since then.

Photo from last week (although not terribly useful for illustrating the gullies)

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great stuff geoffers and Inboard
- thanks very much Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I reckon they got the gondola up then walked on path ... etc
Looks like my route guesstimate was correct... Very Happy
http://www.steepscotland.info/Carn_Mor_Dearg/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@geoffers, heading right from the gondola, is it clear when you reach the edge where to go down?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowball, not done the route myself, but looks like they're leaving the path to descend at 10secs in
The OS 1:25,000 shows a path zig-zag-ing in a NW. direction (NN 17973 75458) just before the viewpoint (Meall Beag) so I guess you drop 50m or so then contour round under the cliffs to cross the Allt Daim
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
think this is the greenlight I need for a trip, just got to work out is anywhere hiring touring gear for my wife? I've emailed Ellis Brigham yesterday but no reply, also emailed Braemar Mountain Sports

Anyone seen anything concrete from any ski areas about an access lift or two opening?

Probably going to head to Aviemore area as appears to be plenty of snow easily accessible from the car park, unless Nevis open the gondola or Glencoe the access chair??

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-update-first-ministers-statement-20-april-2021/

tourist accommodation can re-open from Monday

Finally – but very importantly – I can confirm that all remaining travel restrictions will be lifted on 26 April for travel anywhere in Scotland, and for travel between Scotland, England and Wales.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glencoe Access Chair (at least) will open on Monday along with the temporary cafe. Hotels can reopen for tourism stays also.

Nevis Gondola will reopen on Wednesday 28th April.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
...very importantly – I can confirm that all remaining travel restrictions will be lifted on 26 April for travel anywhere in Scotland, and for travel between Scotland, England and Wales
Fantastic news! Very Happy

Jeeves! Start the engine!!
(Well on 30.4.21, which is the earliest date we can go. Just need the weather to play post-lockdown ball now... wink)
snow conditions
Well fingers crossed this will be the uk skiing headline: ‘Scotland ski season restarts’.
Better late than never. Also looks as though temps are going to drop again from the 26th with the possibility of some light snow into May, which would be helpful.
Some keen skiers might yet be able to salvage some lift served skiing this year Cool .
ski holidays
May turns would be awesome

7 month season for me then Smile
ski holidays
I'm looking at heading up on the Monday depending on how it's all looking. Probably Fort William but tempting to look at a day on Cairngorms.
latest report
Just do not come via Luton airport as Luton is still well above average for covid infection rates.
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

Mike - I think you might like the look of these Toofy Grin , posted on Tuesday
https://m.facebook.com/hamish.frost/posts/pcb.4637252919627647
snow report
Glencoe's website says The Access Chairlift, Base Station cafe and Accommodation reopen on the 26th April. Summer tubing on the 1st May and Bike tracks the 15th May.

Nevis says Nevis Range will reopen on Wednesday 28th April.

I guess not enough snow/punters to run the top T bar??
ski holidays
geoffers wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Mike - I think you might like the look of these Toofy Grin , posted on Tuesday
https://m.facebook.com/hamish.frost/posts/pcb.4637252919627647

Magic

Thanks
ski holidays
Glencoe have announced that they are only opening the main access chair for touring and walking https://www.facebook.com/GlencoeMountain
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

Glencoe say the main slope does not offer an unbroken run and the snow is too soft to use the piste basher to rectify it.
Has there been any word about the off piste snow at either? Has the back (east) side of Aonach More (Nevis) got enough snow to ski it without hitting rocks?
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Glencoe say the main slope does not offer an unbroken run and the snow is too soft to use the piste basher to rectify it.
Has there been any word about the off piste snow at either? Has the back (east) side of Aonach More (Nevis) got enough snow to ski it without hitting rocks?

Though there isn't a route back to the tows, there is a continuous line from the summit to 2/3rds of the way down the mid-mountain on the Wall, so still over 1000ft of vertical can be had for the leg work at Glencoe. There will certainly still be routes off the back of Aonach Mor, but while skiing the runs on the ski area at Glencoe take you back down closer to the top of the Access Chair, dropping into the Back Corries leaves quite a lengthy traversing hike out over pretty rough and steep terrain, then a more gentle walk back along the fence lines to the front of the mountain.

On Cairn Gorm might still possible to get to around 1400ft of vertical - but unsure if the Traverse has been dug out by the funicular contractors.
ski holidays
looks like my plans are coming together, Wed night in Stirling so can hit East or West on the Thursday, then a day course with https://www.british-backcountry.co.uk/ on the Friday!

Anyone recommend a place to stay in Aviemore and a good pub/restaurant for an evening meal please?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
Cairn Gorm's Head Wall/ Coronation Wall could be fun, if it has enough snow, at the correct moment between ice and slush!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 25-04-21 15:27; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:
Anyone recommend a place to stay in Aviemore and a good pub/restaurant for an evening meal please?
I'm losing track with what's open and what's not rolling eyes ...Assuming both accommodation and restaurants are open:
- There's a new Premier Inn in Aviemore. Prices can be very hit & miss for Premier Inn though - sometimes very cheap, sometimes quite expensive.The Indian restaurant near the Premier Inn is very good.

Further afield (20 mls south) The Highlander Hotel in Newtonmore is usually very good value at around £50 B&B for a double room. Good bar meals along the road at the Balavil Hotel.

Otherwise, loads of B&Bs in Aviemore.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Braeriach - Garbh Choire Mór yesterday (Friday) still holding plenty of snow. Navigating cornices still the biggest issue restricting ease of choice of lines.

snow report
The view over towards Aonach Beag and Aonach Mòr from the Grey Corries on Wednesday giving an idea of the snow.

snow report
did I mention we've had some pretty good weather recently....
snow conditions
@snowball, it was a lot of fun. Grippy hero spring snow at its best snowHead

ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
looks like my plans are coming together, Wed night in Stirling so can hit East or West on the Thursday, then a day course with https://www.british-backcountry.co.uk/ on the Friday!

Cheers,

Greg

The go-to answer for food is the old bridge Inn. But you'll have to book. The cairngorm Hotel does good non-fancy food at a reasonable price, and usually has a decent amount of space in the beer garden. The winking owl is popular, although I'm not very keen on it personally.
The Doo below is a good pub when it's a pub, not sure what its going to do under current restrictions.
latest report
@mountainaddict, accommodation and restaurants are allowed to open from Monday.

Also might be worth mentioning: the hills - and especially car parks - are very busy at the moment. Today the West Highlands were the busiest I've seen in 10 years of walking in Scotland. And it's only April Shocked

Some of the popular walking (& skiing) car parks are already full by 7am at weekends at the moment. I'm not sure exactly which car parks you'll be aiming for (e.g. Glencoe ski centre should be better as the car park is big and the walks not massively popular), but beware...
snow conditions
Thanks for the info re accommodation and restaurants and the tip offs re. busyness and parking denfinella. We found similar re parking at The Lake District last weekend - though the trails weren't too bad...

Think we'll be looking at lift-assisted ski touring - Glencoe and/or Nevis beckon Very Happy .

Having said that, does anyone know if the Ptarmigan area and Ciste Gully at Cairngorm still have snow?
latest report
@mountainaddict, the ski centre car parks should be fine.

Yes - the Ptarmigan and Ciste Gully still have snow. Also Coire Cas and areas "over the back". There's also still snow on the green traverse piste which gets you up to the Ptarmigan restaurant, but apparently they're going to start clearing it this week to allow vehicle access to the top station. (For staff, not the public!)

Graeme Pringle (a.k.a. Windy Miller) on Facebook is the man to follow - he skis there almost every day (even over lockdown - he's local), takes lots of photos and gives condition reports. You'll need a Facebook account.

https://facebook.com/windy.miller.54
snow report
The car parks near me have been getting very full. Double parking, inconsiderate parking, and campervans overnighting. Likely due to the weather and the release of restrictions. Not much snow here so it is probably people walking up hills, or alongside lochs.
snow conditions
Perhaps I should warn anyone thinking of self-catering cottages etc that two households cannot mix yet and they are enforcing this by getting people letting property to collect track and trace info from people. Considering hotels and restaurants (even indoors, with 1 metre social distancing for mixed households) this seems a bit bizarre. We were caught out by this and our friends have now had to hire their own separate cottage rather expensively nearby.
Indoor for restaurants only till 8pm and with no alchohol

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 25-04-21 15:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@charlie.wilkinson, with your photo of Aonach More (Nevis Range) back, am I correctly identifying the areas?
A pity we can't see how far down the snow goes. ie. is it possible to ski from the others back to the main bowl?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 25-04-21 14:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@snowball, that looks like you've got them right. Sorry I didn't get any closer Toofy Grin

This is from a bit further away and shows the bottom of the snowline a bit better

Some photo from British Backcountry (not mine) on Facebook from yesterday with that have some closer shots.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10157466980647820&set=pcb.4651704724849133
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy