Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
I still think travel in and out of Scotland is a distinct possibility from the 26th. I think it would be hard to justify keeping the border restrictions while England has a lower average case rate than Scotland
Let's cross everything for that Very Happy
- Touring skis waxed.... Check!
- Skins ready to be stuck...Check!
wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I don't think Highland going to level 1 or 2 might complicate things in the near future, Merkinch ward in Inverness is ranked in 1st place for the whole UK at 725 cases per 100k! Skullie Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not looking good at all, nothing to see, move on! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Has anyone toured at Glencoe? Can you walk straight up the T bar line with skins or is it too steep??

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Q1: Has anyone toured at Glencoe? Q2: Can you walk straight up the T bar line with skins or is it too steep??

A1: Yes, lots.
A2: Yes - but bottom bit is quite steep. It's do-able though. We generally head up via the Haggis Trap & Main Basin - although The Wall (Danny Dyer's favourite Toofy Grin) tow track, and adjacent gradients, are steep in places and there is also a steep bit just above the top of the Wall tow.

The advantage of that route is that it is generally wide enough to zig zag up the steeper bits.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 17-04-21 7:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, cheers, was just wondering why someone had one right over from left to right in that pic and was thinking it'd be quicker to go straight up wherever possible!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict wrote:
West Wall tow track

You mean The Wall tow track. The West Wall tow is at Cairngorm! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whatever you do make sure you never walk up a tow track in ski or snowboarding boots putting big holes in the track. You will be hated for it Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:

Has anyone toured at Glencoe? Can you walk straight up the T bar line with skins or is it too steep??

Best ascent line is up mugs alley then happy valley (or maybe haggis trap if full). The t-bar track (ski tow gully) is a bit narrow and steep for skinning

As of today Scots allowed to travel. Though suspect uplift will remain April 26th.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 13-04-21 13:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big news:

- travel restrictions within Scotland to be lifted from Friday (10 days earlier than planned - no overnight stays allowed)
- travel restrictions between Scotland and rest of UK expected to be lifted on 26th April
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
denfinella wrote:
Big news:

- travel restrictions within Scotland to be lifted from Friday (10 days earlier than planned - no overnight stays allowed)
- travel restrictions between Scotland and rest of UK expected to be lifted on 26th April

Does this mean the ski places can open, though?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, I decided to take the risk and booked a week in Scotland from the 30th with Mrs snowball. It will be great to go away to the mountains, even if I don't manage any skiing. It feels quite naughty somehow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neil Neige wrote:
denfinella wrote:
Big news:

Does this mean the ski places can open, though?

That ski areas were encouraging people to break travel rules was given as a reason for the continued restrictions - so with travel between level 4 councils being permitted from Friday the reason has been removed - but no word on uplift situation yet.

[edit] Because the islands are not moving down from Level 3 on 26th April the travel restrictions between level 3 and 4 are being suspended from this Friday. However, travel from 3 or 4 areas to 0-2 level areas would still be restricted. Hence why level 3 is going to be kept longer in the islands!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Self catering AND hotels opening 26th. Self catering open 2 weeks after England, hotels 3 weeks before England.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
You mean The Wall tow track. The West Wall tow is at Cairngorm!
I do indeed! I wondered if anyone would spot that! wink

I stand corrected - in my orthopaedic insoles Very Happy Basic schoolboy error - ta for the correction Embarassed

(** Post now amended**)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Well, I decided to take the risk and booked a week in Scotland from the 30th with Mrs Snowball....It feels quite naughty somehow
So not just a dirty weekend Snowball? A whole week of it?! Shocked

I know what you mean though. We made our return to the Lake District to go mountain biking on a day trip last weekend. We were awestruck by the mountains and by just being somewhere different. It felt like getting out of prison (I would imagine! wink) - almost like an illicit trip, though perfectly permissible.
ski holidays
Silly question. Does the English ban on travel to hotels until 17/05 or any Scottish rules about cross border vacationing affect this?
latest report
@mountainaddict, Don't know if this interests you but Cairngorm have an update on Facebook and they are putting in planning permission for campervan facilities at the Coire na Ciste, they will also be partially open from the 26th April, sadly there wont be any snowsports but there could still be snow for ski mountaineering.
latest report
Quote:
Does the English ban on travel to hotels until 17/05 or any Scottish rules about cross border vacationing affect this?
Good Q...Hopefully camping trips will be permissible (as campsites are open in England).

Quote:
Don't know if this interests you but Cairngorm have an update on Facebook and they are putting in planning permission for campervan facilities at the Coire na Ciste
Brilliant - that's remarkably coincidental. We bought a campervan in December - and of course it has barely moved off our drive...

We may yet get some ski touring and turns...
snow conditions
larry1950 wrote:
@mountainaddict, Don't know if this interests you but Cairngorm have an update on Facebook and they are putting in planning permission for campervan facilities at the Coire na Ciste, they will also be partially open from the 26th April, sadly there wont be any snowsports but there could still be snow for ski mountaineering.

The facilities will be limited, it's more aimed as controlled pre-booked parking of fairly self sufficient motorhomes. There will be a chemical waste disposal point and treated drinking water available from a central point, but not any hookups and there will not be a shower or toilet block.

Given problems with unmanaged van and tent camping around Glenmore last summer and the steadily rising numbers using the ski area carparks for staying in vans, this will hopefully get through planning asap and does not need a lot of time to implement. Hopefully just a first stage and start of something better, if it is something you would like to use, get a supporting statement / letter into the Cairngorms National Park Authority who have just called in the application from the Highland Council. Comments can be submitted via the ePlanning portal. Just search for PH22 1RB at https://www.eplanningcnpa.co.uk/ .

From the additional info on the CNPA ePlanning portal, spaces will have to be pre-booked online from May till 31st October, but during winter and early spring the full Ciste Carpark will revert to an open system. As far as can be ascertained from the management plan and other docs, the waste disposal, water supply and rubbish / recycling facilities will be available all year.
ski holidays
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

With the anticyclone established right over the top of the uk this could end up being the best week this year. Great weather for skiing at Glencoe..... if we were allowed
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Well, I decided to take the risk and booked a week in Scotland from the 30th with Mrs Snowball....It feels quite naughty somehow
So not just a dirty weekend Snowball? A whole week of it?! Shocked

I know what you mean though. We made our return to the Lake District to go mountain biking on a day trip last weekend. We were awestruck by the mountains and by just being somewhere different. It felt like getting out of prison (I would imagine! wink) - almost like an illicit trip, though perfectly permissible.

I took the train to the seaside last weekend and told friends exactly the same thing i.e. that it felt like I'd escaped from prison.
Never known so much joy/relief from just gazing out at the horizon!
snow conditions
I think Scottish rules decide what English people can do in Scotland once they are allowed in. Of course they still have to confirm that the English will be allowed in on the 26th April.
We actually booked a fantastic hotel in Fort William, The Lime Tree (re-opening the 26th) which has wonderful food (Michelin listed) and very well spaced tables. However they emailed they have now decided not to open the Restaurant yet after all. So we cancelled and booked a self-catering cottage near North Ballachulish. https://www.cottages.com/cottages/lismore-cottage-uk11194?nights=7&adult=2&start=30-04-2021. Better for Glencoe if it is open, too.
ski holidays
Cairngorm Mountain will definitely not re-open for snowsports this season as contractors working on the funicular have remobilised on site. Limited base facilities will however be available from Monday 26th subject to Highland moving to level 3 (if not lower).

That's three ruled out. All eyes on Glencoe to see how things hold up over the next 9 days and the Lecht to see if we get a decent convective delivering Northerly along the lines of late April into May 2012! The Lecht can and has come back from weeks of nothing to open even in May, in Scotland never say never!

The issue at Glencoe is that there are no complete routes to the base of the mid-mountain lifts and the Cliffhanger has very limited download capacity. It is just possible with a bit of creative thinking to get to get to the bottom of the Wall. So only the Main Basin and Happy Valley could be directly skied off the lifts, though all of Rannoch Glades, Spring Run, Flypaper and East Ridge gullies have been getting good reports with granular spring snow once things loosen up in the morning. The question is if the lifts were running how many people would venture away from the Main Basin. If the answer is not many, the capacity before queuing becomes an issue would be low, and if uplift does resume it will be advance tickets only under level 3 rules - so they could be like gold dust!

Of course it also depends on what the weather does in the intervening period. If the green light had been given on Friday, uplift would have reopened but at this time of year we could see enough snowfall for all lifts to run Very Happy to not being able to run anything Crying or Very sad in 9 days time!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@mountainaddict, cheers, was just wondering why someone had one right over from left to right in that pic and was thinking it'd be quicker to go straight up wherever possible!!

Just a comment on this, snow conditions are obviously a big factor. Have had a Embarassed moment trying to skin straight up just below the Haggis Trap on spring snow in the past! The skins stick to the snow OK, but the snow decides to move downhill! Skullie
latest report
stevew wrote:
Silly question. Does the English ban on travel to hotels until 17/05 or any Scottish rules about cross border vacationing affect this?

Currently travel to/from the rest of the Common Travel Area to/from Scotland is only permitted for essential/permitted purposes. However, the indicative date for this changing is 26th April. Tune in this coming Tuesday which is one of the official review dates for the restrictions here.

Whether hotels are open or closed in England is neither here or there if they are open in Scotland and the rules permit you to travel both to and across the border. Again what is actually going to happen will be confirmed on Tuesday, but if all of mainland Scotland moves to Level 3 on 26th April then indoor and outdoor hospitality will reopen, but with an 8pm close indoors and alcohol can only be served outdoors in level 3.

Never imagined at the start of January staring at the Level 4 - Lockdown notice in the Plateau Cafe explaining that food and drink were takeaway only and that you couldn't use the cafe's outdoor seating area would be something we'd spend the rest of winter longing for! Shocked
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
You mean The Wall tow track. The West Wall tow is at Cairngorm!
I do indeed! I wondered if anyone would spot that! wink

(** Post now amended**)

Err... it still says, "West Wall...." Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:
Err... it still says, "West Wall...."
There were 2 references to it. I see I'd only amended one... rolling eyes
snow report
@snowball, does your wife ski tour?? I’m wondering about also taking a punt and heading up with my touring gear in case the lifts don’t open
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, no she doesn't ski at all, and I'm not a proper tourer, I'll just skin a bit to get to something special. However, given it might be all that is available, I may struggle up something a few days while we are up there, but I am so unfit right now I'm not sure I'd inflict myself on someone else... Still it might be worth considering at least meeting up one day to see if I am just holding you up too much on the uphill.
snow report
Awesome : vid of CMD today Smile
https://m.facebook.com/groups/Britishbackcountry/permalink/4629612610391678/
ski holidays
@kitenski, I sent a PM
ski holidays
geoffers wrote:

Despite being generally ENE facing, those skiers are enjoying a bowl that has aspects which stay sunny for most of the day at this time of the year. The views from the ridge are spectacular, and from what I recall of skiing there, the huge and challenging cornices that form above the steep lee slopes falling off the broad, flat tops of neighbouring Ben Nevis and Aonach Mor are largely absent too.
ski holidays
@moffatross, I joined the British backcountry group to see the vid and there is some brilliant stuff on there!
snow report
geoffers wrote:

Please excuse the thickness, but is that the 'Back Corries' of Nevis Range?
snow report
Mike - CMD is the Carn Mor Dearg ridge between Aonach Mor (Nevis Range) and Ben Nevis itself - this screenshot shows the classic Back Corries gullies and CMD itself (though not sure if this is the location of the video - looks like it could be the SE facing bowl)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 19-04-21 13:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Please excuse the thickness, but is that the 'Back Corries' of Nevis Range?

Not quite Càrn Mòr Dearg (CMD) is in between Ben Nevis and Aonach Mòr (where the Nevis back corries are)

https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/activities/ski-board/the-mountain/back-corries/

snow conditions
Thanks very much
ski holidays
Ironically, the Nevis Range ski centre isn't connected in any physical way to Ben Nevis, unlike Carn Mor Dearg which forms part of a sweeping horseshoe connecting Ben Nevis above Coire Leis. Here's the view from the summit of Carn Mor Dearg towards Ben Nevis ...

And a view from the summit of Carn Mor Dearg towards Aonach Mor ...

And here's some Muppet from Moffat skiing the same bowl as the skiers in the video ...

latest report
I contacted Abacus Guides and they told me by 1st May when I will be there, assuming there is still any snow it will be a minimum 90 minute walk to the bottom of the snow in the West and perhaps an hour at Cairngorm (in both cases probably a lot more for me as an ancient and unfit person). Does this sound about right?
snow conditions
Quote:
Does this sound about right?

Yes, but well worth it - consider it as a morning's hill walk with skiing as a bonus.
A great option in the Cairngorm area is drive up Glen Feshie to Auchlean and hike in to the Tom,Dick&Harry gullies which hold the snow really well - bag the top of Carn ban Mor then a great ski back to the car.
We've done this a couple of times over Whit bank holiday in the past (driving up from Bristol)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy