Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
bambionskiis wrote:
When is the best month usually to ski in Scotland? If we don’t get to Canada again at Christmas I’m happy to tootle up North. Is it worth the trek?

Not at Xmas, that's for sure. Often the season is just about starting now. March / April often the best.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great thanks for that kitenski
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bambionskiis, although this season, snow cover is currently deteriorating (having been excellent for most of the season so far), and the medium term outlook is poor for snowfall prospects.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah right that’s a shame then. Just your luck year-on-year I guess. With the resorts being shut I’ve not been able to keep up with snow depths etc so I wasn’t sure
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bambionskiis, your also best deciding the night before based how much wind/rain/snow is forecast even if there is enough snow on the ground
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
@bambionskiis, your also best deciding the night before based how much wind/rain/snow is forecast even if there is enough snow on the ground

Righty ho. I’m the sort of person who is quite happy pootling about so would find other stuff to do if the conditions weren’t great so this doesn’t bother me. It looks such a beautiful part of the world I’d just be happy with the scenery. Thank you Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not been for a lot of years, but used to book a week off feb/mar and go up to Aviemore. Get there before 5pm, and find a b&b via local tourist office.

Took ski gear, but hired skis. But just in case no snow, took hiking gear as well. Usually got lucky and got 4/5 days.

Conditions always best described as "variable" Very Happy Very Happy

The only thing you could guarantee were wind and cold.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds good to me brian.

Variable sounds like you’re being generous Very Happy

And don’t us skiers laugh in the face of wind and cold?!! We’ve done a few trips to Norway and Finland (-21 yoiks) and yes it’s not ideal but hey, it is what it is.

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bambionskiis wrote:

And don’t us skiers laugh in the face of wind and cold?!! We’ve done a few trips to Norway and Finland (-21 yoiks) and yes it’s not ideal but hey, it is what it is.

Cheers

Yes, but minus 3 on a Scottish Hill in horizontal gale blown sleet kicks the back bottom of -20 in the alps or elsewhere. Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Not at Xmas, that's for sure.
Not sure at all. Historically, Cairngorm has often had skiing in December - with skiing fron November not uncommon.

Can't remember if the lifts were open (seems like a past life now... Confused) but there was enough snow for us to ski tour there between Christmas and New Year in the last two Decembers before lockdown.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nicola Sturgeon's just been on: Strict restrictions to remain in place in Scotland until at least the end of April - ie no possibility of getting up to the Highlands until some time after then Crying or Very sad

May is therefore looking unlikely - the last snows of June now looking like our last hope for ski touring?? ... Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Once went on a weekend coach trip to Aviemore. Set off Friday night. Arrived in time for slopes opening. Day skiing. Evening meal, B&B. Day skiing. Return when lifts closed. Home about midnight.

Snow was great. No 2 runs the same conditions (always the case in Scotland). 2nd day, wind got up. Was chucking lumps of ice the size of golf balls at us. Not pleasant on a T bar into the wind. Called it a day about 2.30. Mountain closed at 3 due to winds.

Long weekend, lots of traveling, but well worth the trip. Very Happy Very Happy

Just remember to take plenty of thermals. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow on CG is almost gone.

Few more pics of Ben wyvis.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 23-02-21 21:25; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ram80 said
Quote:

Skiing in Glenshee still looks
remarkably good - if you can get there Confused
Quote:
Any aspect facing West. North West above 700 meters has lots of snow left

https://m.facebook.com/groups/Britishbackcountry/permalink/4466013630084911/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ram80 wrote:

Think your definition of almost gone is very different to mine!! Loads of depth and width on the White Lady

This was the white lady in May 1994, lots of depth in the gullies to hold snow.

snow report
kitenski wrote:
Ram80 wrote:

Think your definition of almost gone is very different to mine!! Loads of depth and width on the White Lady

This was the white lady in May 1994, lots of depth in the gullies to hold snow.

You would come all the way up from Leeds for that amount of snow in 1994 pic?

I'll need a lot more snow just for the whole experience.
ski holidays
Quote:
I'll need a lot more snow just for the whole experience
That's the thing about Scotland. Snow cover is just not like The Alps. It's the gullies that hold the snow - the whole mountain does not need to be all white for runs to be complete and skiable. Kitenski's pic actually shows the iconic White Lady run with virtually full snow cover.

Based on that photo, other gullies on the mountain - such as Coire Cas and Coire Na Ciste would have had full cover and the Ptarmigan area at the top of the mountain would also be complete. So very decent cover (and skiing) overall. All resulting in at least 400m of vertical from the top to mid-mountain area.

Mrs MA and I have regularly made the 600 mile round trip to ski similar - or less - cover at Cairngorm. We once drove up in August to ski a great 200m snow patch that we'd seen photos of online - it took about 90 mins to hike up to it but we had a great time summer skiing wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Imagine having to drive 200 miles in the other direction for no snow at all Shocked
snow report
Blimey that was in May?!! Probably not possible these days because of global warming. Great pics.
ski holidays
Sounds as though the 5th April might be the earliest the centres could re open?
ski holidays
Ram80 wrote:

I'll need a lot more snow just for the whole experience.

yup was a great weekend, lower slopes I'd not really ski even if open. Also had a day at Nevis.

I think you are missing how Scottish skiing works, big deep gullies and fences hold snow, so anything cosmetic often disappears.

A lot more snow and Scotland don't often come together, some of my best days have been on the upper mountain at Glencoe with no snow at all until you get to the plateau.
snow report
Nevis range pic from 14th May 1994, the goose was running and loading at first pylon from memory as well as top tow!

and another from Cairngorm on 13th May! I live in hope for a repeat!

snow conditions
19th May 2013, climbing back to the lifts from skiing off-piste down to Loch A'an behind Cairngorm (White Lady still complete and full width for the majority of it).
That was the last day the ski lifts ran, that season. Forgot to pack the suncream with obvious results. Since gone over to pin bindings.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 4-03-21 16:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
Great cover at Glencoe.
ski holidays
looks like plenty of tracks on the mountain!
ski holidays
Does today's news mean late-season skiing might be possible, after all, at least for locals?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56337475
Outdoor sports permitted (with conditions) from 12th March.
snow report
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

More snow at the Coe snowHead
ski holidays
As I understand it, an announcement about re-opening (or not re-opening) is going to be made by Nicola Sturgeon on Tuesday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnHSmith, or at least an indicative date. Might be tied to the level system again? We are starting to run out of season for at least some of the ski areas though...
latest report
This is the official announcement. We shall have to wait and see IF anything is permitted and if so, what.

ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@JohnHSmith, or at least an indicative date. Might be tied to the level system again? We are starting to run out of season for at least some of the ski areas though...

This is where the regulations have become a bit of a muddle - because legally we still are in the levels system, it's just level 4 has become 'enhanced' level 4 through various statutory instruments. It would actually have been better I think if we'd gone to a new 4+ or 5, so had Level 4 - Lockdown, and Level 5 - Stay at Home. That way individual local authorities could return to level 4 as it was pre 8th January, but currently because of the enhanced level 4, the gap to level 3 is quite a bit bigger than it was so the threshold for getting out of the current enhanced level 4 is tighter.

At the start of the season (and the season did start even if that seems a long time ago) uplift was permitted upto and INCLUDING Level 4 - so for local(ish) skiers getting rid of the explicit shutdown of snowsports centres added to level 4 in early January would be a start. The way this unfolded is rather galling not just because of the good snow and weather lost to lift served snowsports, but because 3 of the areas put in very substantial time and money preparing for the scenario of operating under Level 3 and Level 4 restrictions. Certainly it was working well in a controlled and safe manor at Glenshee and Glencoe and there are numerous comments around from people who were impressed with how access was being managed.

From what is being said on the grapevine and the state of the current snow cover, taking into account the continuing omnishambles that is Cairngorm and the fact we are moving on in meteorological spring, it looks likely that if we are going to see lift served riding to any significant extent again this season then it will be Glencoe and the Lecht likely to lead the charge. It is worth pointing out that while the Lecht maybe the smallest and lowest area, it is most likely to gain significant snowfalls on Northerlies as we go deeper into spring and has in the past come back from nothing to open even in early May!

If we do get the greenlight soon, then even if restricted to Highland, along with Argyll & Bute residents as before then Glencoe tickets are likely to be like gold dust given the pent up demand and aside from walks, golf and tennis there not being much else to do!
snow report
Quality update. Thank you.
ski holidays
bambionskiis wrote:
Blimey that was in May?!! Probably not possible these days because of global warming. Great pics.

It's very possible. Most years in Glencoe there is enough snow to run the lifts in April and occasionally until early May. They still have a mid summer ski there each year, on 20th June. Though it's necessary to hike up, there still usually looks like enough snow for a decent ski. Very Happy

I must try it one of these days. wink
snow report
Glencoe at 8.30 this morning.

snow conditions
Cooling down again end of next week which would be helpful.
latest report
The sheer frustration continues....

AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!

I'm beginning to give up hope... Sad
snow report
@brianatab,
Quote:

Once went on a weekend coach trip to Aviemore. Set off Friday night. Arrived in time for slopes opening. Day skiing. Evening meal, B&B. Day skiing. Return when lifts closed. Home about midnight.

I did the same a couple of times in the mid 1970’s with a company called The Weekend Ski Club. The coach left Hendon (London) at about 6pm on Friday evening. Arrived in Newtonmore at about 6am. Kit put in hotel room, get skis (hotel supplied them). A quick breakfast and then coach to the mountain for the day. One night in hotel. Ski the next day. Depart hotel at 6pm. Arrive back in London at 6am Monday morning.
It was my first time skiing on snow. I was freezing cold all weekend. I just had normal winter clothing on. But I loved it.
I was about 15 at the time. I don’t think I could survive that now.
Oh the joy of being young !!! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
Eggfried100,

Some weekend that! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I have left the Glencoe slopes at 4.30 and driven straight to London. Also a bit more recently (2013, shortly after photo up the page) left the CairnGorm slopes at 4.30 and just caught my flight back to London (changing in the loo at the airport). You don't have to be young, I am nearly 73. Driving is different, I'd risk falling asleep at the wheel now.
snow report
@Bergmeister,
Quote:
Some weekend that!

Check out this... https://peoplepill.com/people/mick-fowler/

Quote:
he was regarded as the driving force behind a group of London climbers who would regularly drive to the north of Scotland, a round trip of 1,300 miles, for winter weekends. His record was 11 consecutive weekends.

... he often beat the local climbers to make the first winter ascent of some routes after an overnight drive!! Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy