Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@Ram80, yes snow shoes would help or take slower more deliberate steps to keep hr down. Assuming your not trying it in ski boots??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

snow up to knees, how do you tackle that, would snow shoes make the difference?

Definitely snow shoes if you don't do skinning on skis. Ploughing uphill through deep powder is truly exhausting - I have done it many times when winter climbing and it is no fun (or type 2 fun at least).
Alternatively find a young buck (or buckess) to break trail for you Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spent today in Ochils which had a reasonable forecast (especially when compared to Glenshee ) and had a pleasant skin up Andrew Gannel hill then on to Ben Cleuch with wind behind pushing us uphill Very Happy (a route plan that paid off for once). Weather closed in before summit so ski down was in poor viz which resulted in various shenanigans of a falling type of nature. At one point I skied straight over a cornice I didn't see - gravity took over at this point and a powder splat ensued much to the entertainment of Sam who I was skiing with. Most of the descent was combat skiing with the odd play in drifts when we could make them out. Very steep walk off and then down Mill Glen to finish. Not quite the powder extravaganza of yesterday but a nice little tour non the less. Looks like weather is turning warm next week Sad but at least road up to Glenshee should be open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowheid wrote:
Quote:

snow up to knees, how do you tackle that, would snow shoes make the difference?

Definitely snow shoes if you don't do skinning on skis. Ploughing uphill through deep powder is truly exhausting - I have done it many times when winter climbing and it is no fun (or type 2 fun at least).
Alternatively find a young buck (or buckess) to break trail for you Very Happy

Tell me about it, I was panting like a dog that's been running after a stick all day. Good exercise though, it's like walking up steps.

I was envisioning myself climbing up Everest when in reality I'd only covered about maybe 20 metres in the deep snow.

I don't have any skis at the moment. I think I'll try and make a pair of snowshoes from household things like a weaved chair or plastic .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heartbreaking... Crying or Very sad https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2021/feb/12/closed-ski-resort-scotland-glencoe-coronavirus-in-pictures
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
There must be some big clandestine adventures going on in the shadows. Strava most definitely turned off
There's a Strava setting you can use to keep an entry private...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Heartbreaking... Crying or Very sad https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2021/feb/12/closed-ski-resort-scotland-glencoe-coronavirus-in-pictures

It’s going have to be managed very carefully when it opens as there will be a stampede to get there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny996 wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

It’s going have to be managed very carefully when it opens as there will be a stampede to get there.

Hence why its closed despite all the " how can you catch the virus in the open air" deniers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny996 wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

Think they are all doing online only to limit numbers when they open up and iirc purchased the day before.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roguevfr wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

Hence why its closed despite all the " how can you catch the virus in the open air" deniers.

I agree, but unless they are going to keep it closed until after May then the problem still exists
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe they could open it for under 50s one day, and then those who have been vaccinated the next? (say weekends for under 50s, or 40s, and school days for those who have been vaccinated or are over 50)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know it’s a further unfairness to the youth who I do think have suffered the most from this but you have to say, no proof of vaccine no ticket would work
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny996 wrote:
I know it’s a further unfairness to the youth who I do think have suffered the most from this but you have to say, no proof of vaccine no ticket would work

Being vaccinated does not yet have proof that you do not carry the virus \ can not infect others.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roguevfr wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

Being vaccinated does not yet have proof that you do not carry the virus \ can not infect others.

In my scenario you would have a 100% vaccinated population on the slope, if that doesn’t let you get back to normal, then what’s the point of all this?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny996 wrote:

In my scenario you would have a 100% vaccinated population on the slope, if that doesn’t let you get back to normal, then what’s the point of all this?

What about all the workers / staff ?
snow conditions
Same as bus drivers
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/LElBT4_KTaU

Skied for a bit today on Blackford Hill, a couple of miles south of Princes Street. It looks like the last hurrah until lockdown eases as the big thaw starts tomorrow.
latest report
Loads of people ski touring in the Campsies today, plus 2 kite skiing (or boarding, couldn't tell in the distance).

Think there was still powder to be had.

Local towns feel like a ski resort - snow on the ground, well trampled and people now getting on with things rather than admiring it...
latest report
That is the road to the Lecht ski centre cleared. Happy

snow report
Pic from Facebook link to daily mail so not linking to that. Happy

Not me in the pic
snow report
Great pic GC Cool
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Pic from Facebook link to daily mail so not linking to that. Happy

Not me in the pic

Here's a non Daily Mail report: https://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2021/02/12/scots-farmer-shares-amazing-clip-of-25ft-snow-wall-claiming-its-the-highest-he-has-seen-in-45-years/

The report says it's the "A938 Lecht Road", but the Lecht ski area itself is on the A939 Cockbridge to Tomintoul road. There is a A938 road not that far away, so perhaps the road reference was correct, but I'm surprised they called it the Lecht road?
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, The famous `Cockbridge to tomintoul" A939 from Grantown always shut at the Bridge of Brown Happy . I always come in the back road from Bridge of Avon B9008 (yes I did look it up) Happy
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, Just looked up the A938 and it is the Carbridge road that I take a lot before cutting up over "the Dava" to Forres. @dode will know that one. I can't see that road having that amount of snow on the way to Grantown, so I suspect the journalist got it wrong.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, I also think that it’s an error as the article says Strath Don which is the Ballater/Aberdeen side. There was also a report of an avalanche on the A93, I think it was on the Braemar side from the photos I saw also Braemar mountain rescue attended, unfortunately I can’t find the report.
snow report
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6680895/scotland-weather-video-a93-snow-avalanche-travel-chaos/
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, Thanks for the link, not sure where I saw it but it wasn't the Sun, possibly a weather report on Facebook.
snow conditions
larry1950 wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, I also think that it’s an error as the article says Strath Don which is the Ballater/Aberdeen side.

The Strathdon/Corgarff side of the Lecht road was always where it got blocked rather than the Tomintoul side.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My Subaru with winter tyres would have got through that!

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Quote:
My Subaru with winter tyres would have got through that!
Fair dos rungsp - but how about this? Very Happy

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/pictures-cairngorm-mountain-ski-slopes-pictured-after-heavy-snow-and-gales-228318/?cmpredirect

Devastating... Sad
snow report
Its such a pity due to the Pandemic, we couldn't get to any of the 5 ski resorts to enjoy epic conditions, sadly the mild weather is upon us and soon all the powdery snow will start to melt. Sad
latest report
@KKool, happens all the time, actually perfect for solidifying the snow in the deep gullies as long as it refreezes for hopefully an April/May slide
snow report
KKool wrote:
Its such a pity due to the Pandemic, we couldn't get to any of the 5 ski resorts to enjoy epic conditions, sadly the mild weather is upon us and soon all the powdery snow will start to melt. Sad

Sometimes we're still waiting for usable cover at this point, we may lose powder, but snow quality isn't generally the deciding factor in Scottish skiing.

Theres still plenty of time, and there WILL be more snow.
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
there WILL be more snow.

Yay!
snow report
Still clinging on to the hope of some Scottish turns (lift-served or touring) as long as there is snow...Hope is all we have. Confused
ski holidays
Roguevfr wrote:
There's approximately a metre of lying snow in Braemar village at the moment and it was -22 last night.
The 10 day forecast for Braemar shows a maximum of 3deg . Braemar is at about 330m elevation, Glenshee is at 650m elevation at the base station. I don't think the snow is going anywhere.

Seems you were wrong, it's melting away and nothing but warm temps for next 2 weeks.

I bet next year will be crappy snow also, what timing.
ski holidays
@Ram80, how often have you skied in Scotland??
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@Ram80, how often have you skied in Scotland??

Well not for about 25 years but I'd say about 30 times at school. I live near the mountains, Ben Wyvis and I can see the Fannichs and a few other ranges also, and the snow melts very quick.

I've looked at the Cairngorm webcam and it's starting to look patchy.
ski holidays
Glencoe cams look good to me plenty of snow on the lower plateau

http://winterhighland.com/cams/glencoe/
snow conditions
When is the best month usually to ski in Scotland? If we don’t get to Canada again at Christmas I’m happy to tootle up North. Is it worth the trek?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy