Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Oh dear, don’t look at the Scottish webcams today if you are of a jealous disposition Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is more snow coming next week, and next weekend looks better weather (no wind and sunshine and very cold). I think I will wait before I climb the hill again, as my shoulders are still sore from some body weight lifting exercise I was doing. (shoulders carry my backpack and skis so need to be in good form).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Quick report from Glenshee today. Snow gates didn't open til 11 (problem with the gritter doing Braemar side) so had to change plan and just did a couple of runs down Carn Aosda instead of searching out the powder stashes in Caenlochan Glen. Probably the best choice a s it happens as there was a constant conveyer belt of cloud from the East over Glas Maol most of the day and most of the time I was in blue bird sun on Cairnwell side.
Quite a bit of E to NE wind but not as cold as forecast. Snow was mixture of wind compacted powder , powder, and some heavier snow lower down (wind has moved a lot of snow around overnight methinks). Pistes are in perfect condition where pisted.
The picture shows the snow at devils elbow so could easily park there and ski back to car.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It looks superb, pics from Glencoe are epic as well. The whole mountain is loaded.

Glencoe have posted that the Scottish government have set aside £3million to support the Scottish ski centres this winter. Very good news.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good news indeed - though, I wonder how much £3 million is relative to the loss the areas will be making?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great, as long as non of it goes to that bloody funicular Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowheid, +1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can I ask how on Earth are people skiing in Scotland if we are in a full lockdown? Are you walking up the mountain or are lifts open?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ricklovesthepowder,
Yes walking and touring, outside exercise is allowed in your own local authority area, no lifts are open. Some Ski areas are still preparing/managing the snow for when they are are allowed to open tho so I'm sure there have been some 'lifts' for a lucky few workers etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Walking up under local exercise rules (can drive to edge of county + 5 miles).

Have even seen a few groups touring in the Campsie Fells which are about 5 miles from the edge of Glasgow City, the Pentlands are 5 miles from Edinburgh and there's snow on most hills at the moment so I guess most people in Scotland have access to some snow if they have the kit.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The local hill is about 1 mile from me, and it is loaded. However, I have not bothered yet as I prefer full sunshine, low wind, as well as perfect snow conditions (as good as it gets currently). Also, it is hard work climbing up a hill with skis and boots on your back, whilst trying to avoid slipping on the solid ice path.

Avalanche conditions are like hens teeth on the local hill, but I better watch out this time as there has been a long cold spell (all of January really!)

@Ricklovesthepowder, it is not skiing, it is fully justified local exercise. (most of the time it is walking with skis and boots on your back, and a short 5 minute slide or two when you reach the top where there are very few people)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowheid wrote:

As CML is wholly owned subsidiary of a public sector quango, it is not as I understand it included in the £3m at all. The bulk will be split between the 4 commercial snowsports centres, the rest between club / privately operated dry slope facilities (and possibly Lowther Hills Ski Club but I'm not certain on that).

If the ski areas could return to level 4 operations in the short term, then Hillend could be open 24/7 and probably still sold out looking at the forecasts for the next 10 days! Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got an email from Glasgow ski centre today. Review of the situation with the Govt on Tuesday apparently. I doubt there will be any change though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another 40cms of snow at Glenshee by Thursday and staying cold throughout. Gradually turning into a classic winter Sad
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=3d8667d8-0c42-4188-bd3f-080cae30fd44&details&referrer=app&date=2021-02-03
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Peter S, it was always going to be the best winter for years!! Hopefully we can ski in April or may??
snow report
Quote:
The local hill is about 1 mile from me, and it is loaded. However, I have not bothered yet as I prefer full sunshine, low wind, as well as perfect snow conditions
Quote:
Also, it is hard work climbing up a hill with skis and boots on your back, whilst trying to avoid slipping on the solid ice path.
Awww! Diddums! Comedy gold, surely? Laughing

Either that, or an attempt to rip the pee out of the diehards on here who (in normal times) think nothing of a 5 or 600 mile round trip to heather-hop on strips of snow, never mind when the hills are absolutely loaded.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
haggishunter wrote:
snowheid wrote:

As CML is wholly owned subsidiary of a public sector quango, it is not as I understand it included in the £3m at all. The bulk will be split between the 4 commercial snowsports centres, the rest between club / privately operated dry slope facilities (and possibly Lowther Hills Ski Club but I'm not certain on that).

If the ski areas could return to level 4 operations in the short term, then Hillend could be open 24/7 and probably still sold out looking at the forecasts for the next 10 days! Smile

My son and I went for a walk up Castlelaw today - beautiful, sunny, lots of compacted snow on and off the paths. Didnt look as much on the hillend side driving past, but maybe an optical illusion.

I will still probably wait until the real hills open rather than the plastic as Hillend - as you say, the queues will be stellar.
latest report
Not much snow on Hillend side anymore. Snow line has moved up again but there was some fresh yesterday and staying very cold. It’s a special form of torture. My brother has a house in Tahoe and he is the same, his cameras show tons of snow and he can’t go there !
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@Neil Neige, yes, or at least one of the best if not the absolute best. Sad

Loads of snow, and also not that much wind.

Thought as much (it's been the coldest January for a long time down south).
In Austria and Switzerland there must have been over 100 resorts open (to locals) for nearly two months now.
Surely, evidence enough that skiing is Covid-safe for local people (with a few measures in place).
snow report
'Scotland has extended the closure of ski areas to the end of February during what would be one of the best seasons in the past decade' - report from snow-forecast.
Crying or Very sad
The mountains are getting pasted at the moment but still strong easterly. Looks like it is going to keep snowing for at least 3 more days so I will be waiting out the weather before I venture up to Glenshee again (I know - everyone starts shouting about rule 5) wink
ski holidays
Where are they going to put all the new snow that is forecast ? All the space has been taken up. Scottish snow is not like continental snow, it’s designed to be stored laterally not vertically.
ski holidays
Quote:
Where are they going to put all the new snow that is forecast ?
They can always stick it up their **** Peter S!
It's just taking the mick out of us all up there now! wink
snow conditions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-55903349

Glenshee is about to get buried in this south easterly.
ski holidays
It's official Crying or Very sad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-55903349
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
It's official Crying or Very sad https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-55903349

Shared this with some friends earlier, the guys who usually go to the Alps - we are all convinced that covid is trolling us this season..........................
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The local hill is about 1 mile from me, and it is loaded. However, I have not bothered yet as I prefer full sunshine, low wind, as well as perfect snow conditions
Quote:
Also, it is hard work climbing up a hill with skis and boots on your back, whilst trying to avoid slipping on the solid ice path.
Awww! Diddums! Comedy gold, surely? Laughing

Either that, or an attempt to rip the pee out of the diehards on here who (in normal times) think nothing of a 5 or 600 mile round trip to heather-hop on strips of snow, never mind when the hills are absolutely loaded.... rolling eyes

I second that, MA! It's obviously a p155 take. wink
ski holidays
https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/weather-webcams/live-webcams/

At least they can save themselves the trouble of having to dig out the funicular this year.
snow report
I liked the comment on FB:British Backcountry group
Quote:
Cairn Gorm on Monday..snow has drifted across the railway tracks..

Reply...
Quote:
Ahh so its not the track collapsing then ? snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
.... Scottish snow is not like continental snow, it’s designed to be stored laterally not vertically.
. Laughing Laughing
latest report
Watching the weather forecast last night I'd be expecting a foot of powder at Glenshee this morning?
latest report
http://localapps.pkc.gov.uk/RoadsCameraImages/default.aspx?CameraImage=8781_cam2.jpg
Well the road is well covered.
snow report
Not skiing, but certainly snow related, here's a lovely video of red deer foraging in the deep snow near Braemar. Smile https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=944748516301758&id=427855241324424
snow report
A ridiculous amount of snow! Which presumably will hang around for a while....I have the week off beginning April 5 but I suspect it will be a bit of a risk to expect ski resorts and borders fully open by then!
ski holidays
Dr. Will wrote:
A ridiculous amount of snow! Which presumably will hang around for a while....I have the week off beginning April 5 but I suspect it will be a bit of a risk to expect ski resorts and borders fully open by then!

Even if they do open, I wouldn't bother coming up.

Skiing here is rubbish and you wouldn't like it.
Toofy Grin
snow report

Posted on the SAIS blog yesterday (Glenshee)- looks like it has been a bit windy Shocked
latest report
Sub zero and persistent easterly must be loading sunnyside, Meall odhar and Glas Moal.
latest report
@snowheid, Have you been checking the PKC traffic cameras, the Spittal one hasn’t been updating unfortunately.
https://www.pkc.gov.uk/trafficcameras
snow conditions
larry1950 wrote:
@snowheid, Have you been checking the PKC traffic cameras, the Spittal one hasn’t been updating unfortunately.
https://www.pkc.gov.uk/trafficcameras
The router has been stolen for the Spittal webcam. I expect the snow gates will be closed at least til Monday given the forecast.Typical Scotland - when it does snow a lot either too windy or all the roads are closed to get to mountains rolling eyes
snow report
Glenshee road (A93) this morning....

snow report
Whilst there is lots of snow, the weather is not very nice for skiing at the moment. So I probably would not have been skiing yet in a normal year, I would be waiting for low wind, clear skies, as well as lots of snow. Lets hope some limited skiing occurs in March, but I will not be vaccinated by then. (not clinicially vulnerable, nor old enough)

Maybe the lifts will open only for those who have been vaccinated?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy