Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@Dr. Will, goto Glencoe, and then a day at Nevis, especially if they open the back bowls. Glenshee can be fun if most of its runs are open.

But personally I usually stay in Fort William for a "bit" of nightlife and easy access to Nevis and Glencoe.

This is the kind of terrain you can find, with a little bit of thought/planning and avoiding the "main" runs! This video wasn't taken on the steeper runs such as Spring (too busy!) and Flypaper (which was shut). This was a crazy busy day, think I queued 90 mins for a ticket!

http://youtube.com/v/Ov5_NjiSDTc

The Coe is looking pretty epic for Jan!

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The rozzers will get you long before you get to the Scottish Borders. If they don't, then they should.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maersk wrote:
The rozzers will get you long before you get to the Scottish Borders. If they don't, then they should.

@Maersk, in fairness to @Dr.Will who was asking for recommendations on Scottish ski areas he did say "...with a week off in end Feb and early April there may be a window if the borders open by then....If not, think of this as testing the waters for 2022." So there's no reason to think he was talking about skiing in Scotland against the rules. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes don't worry, def not a rule breaker! Will only head up if allowed! Is it common to need snow chains to access Glencoe and/or Nevis Range or are bases of the access lifts usually below the snow-line?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr. Will wrote:
Yes don't worry, def not a rule breaker! Will only head up if allowed! Is it common to need snow chains to access Glencoe and/or Nevis Range or are bases of the access lifts usually below the snow-line?

Wont need chains for either. Both are adjacent to very busy arterial routes which will be cleared before you wake up.

If you were going to Cairngorm, different story, last part of the road up the hill can be a mare.

Glenshee has snowgates down the hill (assuming you are staying pitlochry/blairgowrie) which are on webcam so you can tell pre-departure if its worth heading out.

I am utterly spewing that the snow is so good........................
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I glanced at the Glenshee webcam earlier & was delighted to see a couple of people skiing in perfect conditions.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glad to hear it... Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes sorry to post the webcams, carnt live with them, carnt live without them snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another person who plans to drive up and self-cater if it becomes legal. Perhaps in April? I had hoped to extend my limited knowledge of the off-piste gullies, so I'll take skins and crampons. Happy to take a Covid test and I've already had the first vaccination. Normally I'd stay in Fort William at the Lime Tree, but I think I'll keep away from any mixing this season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dr. Will, the road between the A82 and the car park at the base of Glencoe ski lifts can be very icy and difficult to go up sometimes. The car parks can be icy, and not well cleared. Nevis range overflow car park can sometimes be not cleared at all, and to park there you could need snow chains or 4x4 or both. You may need them to leave as well if it snows during your skiing.

The likely scenario regarding skiing in Scotland will be limited sales of tickets and online prior purchase only. This will mean the car parks will probably not be crammed full to bursting. (certainly in any early skiing)

Snow socks might be easier to put on and more appropriate for short icy stretches, but snow chains are not generally used but could be useful if you get stuck anywhere. I have in the past put the snow chains on when I could not move any further up on the way to Tignes because the road was solid ice and I was on an incline. It is possible to put them on in such conditions if you practice.

There has never been any law in Scotland requiring snow chains as far as I am aware.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
McKenzie wrote:
I glanced at the Glenshee webcam earlier & was delighted to see a couple of people skiing in perfect conditions.

Want to know about conditions at Glenshee today :

. Just magical Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr. Will wrote:
Looking good! Have never skied in Scotland before- living in the south of England have always travelled to Alps or Pyrenees but with a week off in end Feb and early April there may be a window if the borders open by then....If not, think of this as testing the waters for 2022!

As a proficient skier up to Alpine black runs and easy-moderate off piste resident in the south west of the UK where would you guys recommend as a 'starter' if there was a possibility? Assuming flights are almost of of the question would it be a long drive up the west coast to Glencoe/Nevis Range? Or heading more easterly to Glenshee? Which areas have the better range of accommodation nearby and are snow chains commonly required to access these resorts?

Snow chains not required anywhere, if it got that bad they'd close the access roads if not the public roads.
Any of the main 4 - Cairngorm, Glenshee, Nevis Range and Glencoe are ok to start with. There's not that much between them although Glencoe is relatively small to to the others.
Coming up the M6 I think Glencoe might be your closest, if it was A1 then probably Glenshee.
Accomodation wise Aviemore for Cairngorm and Fort William for Nevis offer the biggest number of beds. Other 2 are a bit more remote likely use Fort William again for Glencoe, for Glenshee Braemar or Blairgowrie have a modest amount.
Disclaimer - It is not like the Alps.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nature really is extracting the Michael now..

https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The local hill looks great today, lots of snow which has been there for a while which means "a good base". Might be a thaw coming soon. I am thinking about it, maybe. Last time I climbed up on 1/1/21 my muscles were sore for a few days as my climbing muscles are not being utilised. (running regularly, sometimes uphills, but walking uphill seems to strain my calves)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Nature really is extracting the Michael now..

https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams/

Thanks for the link.

We were up there in late September during our two weeks travelling around Scotland (just before the central belt had measures reintroduced).

Great to see the bit we were walking around covered in snow under a clear(ish) sky.

Sorry that those of you closer who would normally be able to enjoy it probably won't like the view as much as me!
snow report
https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

This is higher definition than the link I posted previously and many more camera angles. It really illustrates what we are missing Sad
Glenshee is by far the largest area when it is all open, as it probably would have been today.
latest report
I will be out at Glenshee again tomorrow - intend to tour up sunnyside to Glas Maol and Cairn of Claise then lap whatever looks good. Expecting some consolidation but has been very cold so will still be powder to be found. Will post again tomorrow. I realise that this is only relevant to the few that can access it just now who will probably also be up there but may give some vicarious cheer to those snowHead stuck on the sofa staring at webcams Very Happy
snow report
Enjoy, I look forward to seeing any pics very much!
latest report
I'm doing a "live" trip report for the Pentland Hills (Edinburgh) here for anyone who's interested by the way... (I should have been in the Alps this week!)

ski holidays
As promised a quick report on conditions at Glenshee today.
Arrived at the car park at the col to find a bit breezy and some cloud streaming over Glas Maol. Also discovered that I had forgotten to put the map in my pack (duh) so decided not to venture out to Cairn of Claise but go to Glas Maol summit and see what things were looking like.
Skin up to the top was straightforward over mainly scoured crusty surface with some wind blown snow on sunnyside.
By some fluke the weather cleared shortly after I reached summit and I went to have a look at Glen Brighty which turned out well as I found some awesome compact powder and I had the Glen to myself bar the red deer, ptarmigan and hares. I skied down to where the burn turns south west in sunshine and some glorious turns (plus some variable surface with breakable crust on occasion). Then skinned back up to Glas Maol in time for the weather to really clag in so off back to car in zero viz (and no map!). All in a great day.
NB Snow pack really well consolidated and no avalanche hazard seen except the odd cornice.

ski holidays
Ooooh that’s nice Cool
ski holidays
@snowheid, lovely stuff. Lucky git!

We’re just back from a super moonlit walk over the pentlands. No head torches needed, the moon is enough on the snow. Worse places than Edinburgh to be stuck in lockdown!
snow conditions
@snowheid,
That looks epic
ski holidays
More snow at Glenshee (and elsewhere) today. Currently -10c at Braemar. It’s evolving into quite a winter. Cool
snow report
Just seen the photos lecht have put on Facebook. Just need to be allowed to go now...
snow conditions
There is now powder on top of good base on the local hill. There is a lot more snow falling now and more to come. Could be an avalanche risk, which is quite unusual on the local hill (usually insufficient accumulation which usually all melts before new snowfall).

Saturday looks like the first nice day to take advantage of all the fresh..... (other days will be cloudy, overcast, or snow falling, but wind is low)
snow report
@Bigtipper, I agree, Saturday is looking good at the moment for Glenshee but will need to pay attention to avi forecasts, quite lot of snow forecast over the next few days - powder day in Scotland:-D Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:
Just seen the photos Lecht have put on Facebook. Just need to be allowed to go now...
Roll on winter 2021/22 then... Can't even forsee a 2021 Midsummer Slide the way this is going.

So now 100,000 dead and counting Sad - with a Government advisor just saying on the radio that this death toll was 'practically inevitable'...

Yeah, right... Confused

Who'll give me 150,000? Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, I had predicted 75,000 by Xmas, 90,000 dead by end of January, and 125,000 by Easter. This 100,000 shows just how little the boffins either knew, or were letting on. Supposedly 20,000 was going to be a good outcome back in March 2020. Could be 200,000 by Xmas 2021.

Currently unable to visit the Scottish resorts as they are closed. I've fond memories of Glencoe and the skiing there. Hopefully sometime sooner.
latest report
And just remind me how many have died in Aus?
snow report
Sorry off topic
snow conditions
Quote:
Sorry off topic
Apologies - I started it... Confused

But then again, it could be argued that the politics around all of this is very much on topic, as it is the reason why we are where we are now - ie stuck hundreds of miles away, looking at dream conditions in Scotland... Sad
snow conditions
Doesnt bother me but I know others are keen to stay on topic.

BTW I lived in Fife for 5 years and very much enjoyed being able to pick and choose my Glenshee ski days so enjoyed some amazing conditions. I also braved the worst when the need to get the planks on was too great (pretty much like now!...except I cant, coupled with the logistical problem of living further 300 miles away.)

I have also joined the Weardale Ski club.......can't wait

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 28-01-21 10:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:
I have also joined the Weirdale Ski club....can't wait
Welcome to Weardale membership Retrobod - it's a great little set up. Conditions can be epic (as well as rather marginal....) but it's always such a bonus to ski in England Very Happy

Have to say though, I'm wondering what the club will do about people who have joined during lockdown - and who seem unlikely to be able to ski there this winter... Puzzled

Will they get membership carried over to next winter?
latest report
Thanks@mountainaddict, I am happy to support Weardale with my membership. I have read so much about the history and the membership ethos, just wish I had found out before. Just count it as a down payment for a ride in the pisty basher!
ski holidays
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht-up

Lecht snow fences gradually disappearing.
snow report
Glenshee website is down, lets hope its just maintenance.
ski holidays
Am I right in thinking that this would have been the best January for Scottish skiing in many a year?
Seem to recall particularly bad ones in recent times. So frustrating.
Let's just hope the excellent base remains in place, and we can at least return to the slopes later in Feb.
snow report
@Neil Neige, yes, or at least one of the best if not the absolute best. Sad

Loads of snow, and also not that much wind.
snow report
Agree, sadly yes for the last few years, with a bit more snow management there would have been a prettty solid run of skiing since December in most places, albeit limited at times. Shame for the fields commercially recognising there's nothing anyone can do about this other than heed the rules and be sensible.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy