Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Really great heads up from @orange, carrying all the basic kit is absolutely essential.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Links to a couple of pics from yesterday - I haven't worked out how to embed them directly since Snowmediazone is no longer (help!).

West Kip - https://imgur.com/a/bxGeT2e
Skier on East Kip - https://imgur.com/RitoWaI
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
denfinella wrote:
Links to a couple of pics from yesterday - I haven't worked out how to embed them directly since Snowmediazone is no longer (help!).

Skier on East Kip - https://m.imgur.com/RitoWaI

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
denfinella wrote:

Skier on East Kip - https://imgur.com/RitoWaI

Nice pics. On Imgur, it gives the option of pasting a link. I think it's the BB code link that works here.

Just copy and drop in to your post. It's really easy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski lots wrote:
Speaking as a former bureaucrat, under normal circumstances governments would start with a policy aim that looks like a tree, then officials and parliamentarians would look deeper and come up with clauses (rules if you like) that cater for all the leaves and roots (as many individual circumstances they can think of). Due to the urgency of the present situation governments can at best only come up with things that affect branches. Meanwhile all the individual leaves are shouting but what about me - I’m a red leaf with a family of buds.
In fact there has only ever been on rule - don’t be a dick.

And then the Goverment covers all vegetation in manure. Simples!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GreenDay wrote:
Nice pics. On Imgur, it gives the option of pasting a link. I think it's the BB code link that works here.

Cheers. Let's try with another one from the way back through Green Cleugh:

That worked - evidently
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks great - but I assume not quite skiable yet?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@8611, see the previous page! (But in a nutshell: no)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
I assume not quite skiable yet?
Definitely not for those of us who are 250 miles away and who are salivating at the webcams and fantasising.... Confused

After the 10 weeks of amazing snow conditions and weather that followed Lockdown I, there's a sense of inevitability about how things are currently shaping up north of the border... Sad

The only hope may be ski touring in June...Unless we're up to Lockdown VI, Tier 9 restrictions by then of course... rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd guess the grassy bits of the Campsies would be getting close to skiable now. Currently snowing in the East Dunbartonshire valley so assume good top up on a sledge bashed base. One of the easy walks about 1 mile into Stirlingshire looked like a well travelled piste thanks to sledge and foot traffic yesterday.

I looked on eBay for some cheap skis but have no idea what I want. New to Scotland (moved last April) but definitely long term plan involves visits to the Scottish resorts and from the looks of things earning turns in the Campsies might just be possible!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Video of some skiers skiing down the Cairngorm access road (closed to vehicles):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-55499363
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glencoe summit cam amazing today.

Absolutely fantastic for those who can visit - but soooo frustrating for the rest of us... rolling eyes

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It sounds as though the idea to charge for car parking and encourage sledging is working out at Glenshee.
The combination of the snow factory and the cold dry weather has meant they have been able to create a reliable beginners area along the length of the plastic and dink dink slopes.
This is a sheltered and accessible area for beginners and novice skiers. And they now have the Baddoch chair and Claybokie Poma running too.
Hopefully people are having a good time and Glenshee is taking a bit of money.
Light winds and temperatures down to minus 10 next week won’t do any harm either.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter S, yes, seems a good formula, and the limited slopes available isn't such a problem given that only locals are able to visit. The Plastic Slope seems a really good area for holding onto artificial snow - as it was last year too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skinned up to the Ptarmigan from the Hayfield at Cairngorm yesterday for a bit of a look and some exercise, probably the most snow I've seen on the hill here in the three winters I've been here which is a bit ironic with the ski area closed.
Atmospheric on the way up though...

latest report
Making good use of the closed road at Cairngorm

https://fb.watch/2M0aLOEHyU/
snow report
@charlie.wilkinson, If you are on Facebook you should have a look at this person, you may already know him of course. https://www.facebook.com/windy.miller.54
ski holidays
charlie.wilkinson wrote:
Skinned up to the Ptarmigan from the Hayfield at Cairngorm yesterday for a bit of a look and some exercise, probably the most snow I've seen on the hill here in the three winters I've been here which is a bit ironic with the ski area closed.
Atmospheric on the way up though...

In my mind that's quite an ascent, nearly 800m vert, how long did it take? Did you go ciste or cas to the ptarmigan?
U didn't say what it was like on the way down! Decent? Smile

I've only skinned from ski carpark up round coire an lochain to plateau and back to head wall and down some time ago.
ta
snow conditions
Glenshee opening Butcharts Access tomorrow.
https://www.facebook.com/GlensheeSkiCentre/
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Glenshee opening Butcharts Access tomorrow.
https://www.facebook.com/GlensheeSkiCentre/

But only for Aberdeenshire/Perthshire residents.

Baws..............
snow report
Quote:
But only for Aberdeenshire/Perthshire residents
Sad
snow report
Yep - local residents getting some good turns in. Snowed again in Pentland’s last night. Not much but both last two nights. Is lethal up there though-heli out yesterday to pluck someone out of Braid Hills and a few ankles and wrists broken in various Pentland places yesterday so take lots of care, I had full crampons on yesterday and it was fine. Rain forecast this AM but remains to see if it falls as snow.
snow conditions
orange wrote:
Yep - local residents getting some good turns in. Snowed again in Pentland’s last night. Not much but both last two nights. Is lethal up there though-heli out yesterday to pluck someone out of Braid Hills and a few ankles and wrists broken in various Pentland places yesterday so take lots of care, I had full crampons on yesterday and it was fine. Rain forecast this AM but remains to see if it falls as snow.

One of my neighbours was up there on NYD and decided to can it after 30 mins - said they were really worried about stepping into a hole - just not worth it, and sure the emergency services have other things to be concerned with just now.

I do hope for a few day trips to Shee or Coe this season, would put a smile back on my face.
snow report
Klammertime wrote:

In my mind that's quite an ascent, nearly 800m vert, how long did it take? Did you go ciste or cas to the ptarmigan?
U didn't say what it was like on the way down! Decent? Smile

I've only skinned from ski carpark up round coire an lochain to plateau and back to head wall and down some time ago.
ta

Just under two hours ascending, and almost exactly 800m. An hour from the snow gate at Glenmore to Cairngorm base station then aobut 50 minutes up the Cas to the Ptarmigan.
The snow varied a bit on the way down, some heavy fresh snow especially around the fences. Snow cover in general was exceptional, visibility was almost nothing above 700m though.

Mostly went up for the exercise on this occasion so wasn't to bothered about the descent. Weather looking a bit better this coming week so hopefully do something more adventurous.

Headed over to Creag Meagaidh yesterday to have a look at the cover there and also to try and find some sunshine.

snow report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55531069

Scots are to be ordered to stay at home amid a fresh Covid-19 lockdown which will see schools remain closed to pupils until February.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said new curbs would be introduced at midnight in a bid to contain the new, faster-spreading strain of the virus.

New laws will require people to stay at home and work from home where possible.

Outdoor gatherings are also to be cut back, with people only allowed to meet one person from one other household.

Places of worship are to be closed, group exercise banned, and schools will largely operate via online and remote learning until at least February.

These rules will apply across the Scottish mainland until at least the end of January, and will be kept under review.
snow report
And specifically that Ski Centres will have to close.
ski holidays
Sods law states it will snow, snow and snow a bit more....
snow conditions
Quote:
Sods law states it will snow, snow and snow a bit more...
And that this nightmare pandemic will seemingly never end... Sad

We'll soon be one year down the line from the Scottish centres closing - and be in a worse position than when we started.

Upsetting regarding the skiing. Devastating regarding covid... Crying or Very sad

And still time for the glimmer of hope that is the vaccine to go belly up...

It's getting harder and harder to remain upbeat. If we get to ski again in Scotland before March 2022, it will be a bonus.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55529870
ski holidays
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:

We'll soon be one year down the line from the Scottish centres closing - and be in a worse position than when we started.
It's getting harder and harder to remain upbeat. If we get to ski again in Scotland before March 2022, it will be a bonus.

I agree 100%. Sad

Remember when they said we'd have a normal Christmas?

Remember when they said things would be back to normal in the spring?

Normal my ar5e. I very much hope I'm wrong but I just can't see anything but prolonged torture for the rest of 2021.
snow report
Quote:
Remember when they said we'd have a normal Christmas?
Remember when they said things would be back to normal in the spring?
Then there was the 'world beating' test and trace system...

Still, Mr Johnson assures us that vaccinations are gathering pace, with more people already done than the rest of Europe combined rolling eyes

When every aspect of the UK response to date has failed, it's increasingly difficult to stay positive...
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
... it's increasingly difficult to stay positive...
I'm positive that they're incompetent, but then that was always obvious to anyone who cared to listen. It's "inhuman project fear" until it happens.
ski holidays
it's increasingly easy to be jealous of anyone living near any hill that has snow on it. I was heading to Scotland later this month...maybe March?
snow conditions
Quote:
maybe March?
Seems very optimistic... rolling eyes I'm clinging on to hopes of a bumper winter for snow and ski touring in May or June...Though not holding my breath as every slight glimmer of hope is generally snuffed out.
snow conditions
Well I’ve skied cairngorm and Nevis with lifts running at both on the 14/15th May so let’s hope for a repeat!!
snow report
Quote:
Well I’ve skied cairngorm and Nevis with lifts running at both on the 14/15th May so let’s hope for a repeat!!
And Glencoe ran what they advertised as 'Summer Skiing' - with the top lifts all but buried - right up to the end of May (Whit Bank Holiday), one year.

Yes, fingers crossed indeed! Let's have some hope and optimism! Smile
ski holidays
Well the Ptarmigan T-bar, Coire Cas T-bar, Goose T-bar, Main Basin T-bar and the Meall Odhar T-bar have all run in June, so just snow dance really hard this year! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
haggishunter wrote:
Well the Ptarmigan T-bar, Coire Cas T-bar, Goose T-bar, Main Basin T-bar and the Meall Odhar T-bar have all run in June, so just snow dance really hard this year! Toofy Grin

I can't summon up any snow-dancing enthusiasm as I'm not expecting to be allowed to go to Scotland before any snow (no matter how late) melts.

Bah humbug! Sad
latest report
There simply is no justice! For those of you on Facebook take a look at the pictures posted by Graeme Pringle aka windy miller54.
Snow and weather in perfect union across Cairngorm, stunning!
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, Have posted this link before for anyone interested, https://www.facebook.com/windy.miller.54 Graeme does very good reports along with photos
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy