Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Team,

I'd like to take advice on what gloves people use for touring? Got big alpine gloves but definitely the wrong thing. For day touring in snowy BC.

Thanks for any tips
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im a big fan of Mountain Equipment gloves, the randonee gauntlet or guide
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@motdoc, I'm merely a novice at this touring lark but for the up I use lightweight windproof fleece nordic gloves and just normal ski ones coming down.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a pair of Ortovox touring gloves – stretchy and a snug fit with leather (or fake leather, can't remember) palms. Could fit an insulated pair over the top if I was cold.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

about 10 euros the pair
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spring / autumn cycling gloves for the ascent; skiing mittens over the top of the cycling gloves for the descent.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet wrote:
I've got a pair of Ortovox touring gloves – stretchy and a snug fit with leather (or fake leather, can't remember) palms. Could fit an insulated pair over the top if I was cold.

Snap. And they work on an iPhone screen so handy for snaps. Also use them for cycling when it’s cold.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, yep, that’s the badger. Wouldn’t use mine for cycling though, they’d be knackered in a week! The cycling ones would do for a ski tour, but they are slightly more battered.

If it’s not Baltic, quite often the gloves end up in my pockets – ski touring generates a lot of heat. The other thing that’s worth having is some kind of headband to soak up the sweat but keep your ears warm. Hats are too hot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@motdoc, I have used Chamonix bin men's gloves for everything for 6 seasons. After about 70 days the pile/fluff starts to pack down and they are not so warm.... then they become uphill gloves. I have carried fancy Dan Black Diamond gloves for when it all gets too much, but have never needed them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use these for high work rate exercise use, very light, soft, good protection where needed, airflow back side.

https://www.coopersafety.com/work-gloves/performance-gloves/landscaping-gloves/ironclad-cowboy-gloves.html

They are a particularly good balance of features, but obviously dont extend into significant insulation quality. They never overheat no matter how hot you get or whatever ambient temperature is.

Good cost too, very good value.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ski3, belting gloves.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Decathlon do a thin £10 pair which seem to work for me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
$30 black diamond fleece gloves with a leather palm. Added some wrist leashes which can save hassle bending over to pick them up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doesn't it depend on the time of year?

Siberia few years ago in November tad chilly (-20) Japan this year anywhere between -15 & +5

I often don't even wear gloves, though as a result have suffered frost bite not realising just how freezing it actually was though climbing up my core was warm whilst extremities were obviously not!

As has been mentioned Decathlon do some great gloves.

https://www.stylealtitude.com/best-ski-and-snowboard-gear-2019.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Doesn't it depend on the time of year?

and altitude and the weather

Summer 2019 I was alpine mountaineering in July but it was breezy and cool and we needed big gloves on summit ridges. On other occasions you can be sweating in liner gloves when skinning in the sun in March.

I just splashed out one these
https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/helio-three-in-one-gloves-BD801423_cfg.html#cgid=snow-gloves&start=43
although I got them a bit cheaper on sportpursuit

Haven't used them in anger but they look like a good system for ski touring and mountaineering - a lightweight softshell glove and a roomy light weight insulated glove than can be worn in combination or seperately. The big glove pulls on easily over the thinner one
latest report
Scarlet wrote:

If it’s not Baltic, quite often the gloves end up in my pockets – ski touring generates a lot of heat.

Careful with that - you will only make the mistake of slipping on a steep slope and stuffing gloveless hands into the snow/ice to stop once wink

I've been using these that past 2-3 seasons: https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_AT/summer-sale-2020/crag-glove-past-season-BD801858_cfg.html#start=100

Really happy with them, but due to be replaced now I've worn a few holes in the fingers.

I always have my actual ski gloves with for descents though.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Careful with that - you will only make the mistake of slipping on a steep slope and stuffing gloveless hands into the snow/ice to stop once wink

Good point, and I shall refer you back to last year's Ski touring for Wallies thread for other experiences I have learnt from wink
ski holidays
Surely any Mechanix style gloves do the job for the high heat output work/spring weather (and can be deployed as inner gloves at other times)?
snow report
I have warm hands. I like sealskin gloves mainly because they are waterproof and won’t end up wet when you’re messing about carrying skis etc.

I do find having spare warm gloves is worth it.

https://www.sealskinz.com/gloves/field-shooting/dragon-eye-gloves-black.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&productid=1922&gclid=CjwKCAjw_Y_8BRBiEiwA5MCBJn52oEv2e4HF39VW42H9M_YET1D65OGYdTTQbC9ll0uDMf5fyunFtRoCMa4QAvD_BwE
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Surely any Mechanix style gloves do the job for the high heat output work/spring weather (and can be deployed as inner gloves at other times)?

They're a bit meh for the price and the leather soaks up moisture like a b'stard.
snow report
Just get down to your local garden centre and find something that is thin and stretchy and is most comfortable. Then add some windproof overmitts for when it's particularly cold and windy.

https://www.townandco.com/products/gloves

Town & Country Comfort Fit gardening gloves available from most good garden centres. In fact our local garden centre had a vast array of suitable gloves - many more than you'd see in an outdoor shop - and very reasonable prices too. The back on these is stretchy and is gentle on the nose!

This model is now end-of-line but is still available in many places, including ebay, where we got ours. There is a replacement comming through but I haven't tried that one. They also have an insulated version which I might try next time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy