Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New FIS Ski WC 2020/21 Thread + Cortina WSC 2021

Poster: A snowHead
@queenie pretty please, I didn’t know he was physically present in Kitzbühel for the draw - I guess the signs are looking more likely that he races given he has made the trip over.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a great thread on Facebook ski club about Nick Fellows commentry, bet the guy wished he had never started it rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It‘s normal for some professional athletes to be holding a can of Red Bull during interviews. Today one skier turns up to be interviewed with a tetra pack fruit juice in his hand only he was holding it the wrong way round. Someone is missing a big advertising opportunity here. Dave Ryding should be getting interviewed with a cuppa Tetley‘s while dunking custard creams.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The skiier who really impressed me this weekend was Noémie Kolly of Switzerland this morning. One to watch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow , into 3 sets of nets. But he’s moving.

Not a scratch it seems.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mixed feelings about the SG this morning - felt muted as if there was a lack of energy / fatigue on the mountain - it also looked like the snow wasn't holding up
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still a bit of interest, they say conditions are getting better for the later starters and some of those post 30 are getting into the top 10.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know anything about course preparation other than what I read or learn from tv but I wondered if by today the course was being adversely affected by the salting on Friday morning?

They had a cold night on Saturday (circa -5c) and very cold night on Sunday (circa -9c )which may have made the course almost too icy by this morning. Quite a number of lost edges not being regained and skis getting tramlined in ruts today with subsequent directional errors. Struck me that, for a fast Super-G, there were quite a number of DNFs that didn't actual involve a fall or crash and more still that blew their chances but were still able to make a gate just to avoid the DNF? By the time the first half dozen or so had scraped off the snow on the winning line it was just too icy and bumpy for anyone to challenge the leaders. 4 of the first 5 places started with bib 1-5.

Thoughts anyone?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ster, just had a look at the final results - Matthieu Bailet must have had a cracker of a run from Bib 50 to position 10 - I wonder if that is one of the highest ever jumps in a race? Considering as well the weather didn't dramatically improve as well makes it all that more impressive!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@extremerob, I had him finishing 8th? If so an even bigger achievement.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It'll be strange watching with no crowds at Schladming, that race is one of my favourites of the season, very atmospheric especially when Hirscher was racing there, and the red wall was in full flag waving mode. Would love to be there some day.....you guys local ever go, the noise must be amazing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ster, right you are - not sure why I read 10th -even more impressive from him - Looks like him and Nils are the future for the french speed team
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, I've been to the town square several times for the night race. No need to buy a ticket for that and there are big screens to show the race (and a glimpse of the actual piste above).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, try and get there one year. For folk with an interest in ski racing, mountains, the winter etc and for those who don't mind a crowd, loud music, and the odd beer, I can't see how you wouldn't have a good evening. Cool I've been a number of times - it always seems to coincide with a 'non-family' trip wink . Just a great experience imho
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timberwolf, ha ha I’m sure a few beers would be in order!
snow report
extremerob wrote:
@ster, just had a look at the final results - Matthieu Bailet must have had a cracker of a run from Bib 50 to position 10 - I wonder if that is one of the highest ever jumps in a race? Considering as well the weather didn't dramatically improve as well makes it all that more impressive!

Looks like it's at least 66 places.

Markus Foser 17. December 1993 from start number, 66 he went on to win the downhill in Gröden.
Katja Koren 22. December 1993 also from start number, 66 she went on to win the Super G in Flauchau

Not many people know that (thanks google)
snow conditions
DB wrote:
extremerob wrote:

Markus Foser 17. December 1993 from start number, 66 he went on to win the downhill in Gröden.
Katja Koren 22. December 1993 also from start number, 66 she went on to win the Super G in Flauchau

WOW - 66 places!

66 to win is crazy - but : Foser is most notable for his sole win on the Alpine skiing World Cup, achieved in the Val Gardena downhill in December 1993 from a bib number of 66 in changing conditions.

Looks like Flachau was good conditions throughout - and Koren ended up securing a Bronze in Lillehammer 1994 Super-G

Either way a win is a win!
snow conditions
Julien Lizeroux has just announced his retirement in a heartfelt message - we're losing a great character from the circuit after a solid 20 year career Crying or Very sad

https://twitter.com/JulienLizeroux/status/1353738647649079296?s=20
https://www.instagram.com/julienlizeroux/?hl=en
snow conditions
Does this mean Tessa Worley could also retire?
snow report
@DB, no reason why she should. He can stay home and be a house husband
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@DB, no reason why she should. He can stay home and be a house husband

Sure but what he can't do is stay at home and have children, us men are just not built for that.
I just wondered why the sudden decision, why not at least see the season out Puzzled
Maybe he has another business venture lined up.
snow report
@DB, who knows but tessa is only 31 so assuming she actually wants children then she has plenty of time. And if she does that's no reason for lizeroux to retire right now...it takes a while wink
ski holidays
@DB,hard to tell why now and the sudden announcement, and not seeing the season out if he isn't injured? - Maybe he knew it was time - and he hasn't qualified for a second run all season - maybe playing on his mind
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@DB, who knows but tessa is only 31 so assuming she actually wants children then she has plenty of time. And if she does that's no reason for lizeroux to retire right now...it takes a while wink

He‘s obviously just got a PlayStation 5. wink
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Markymark29, I've been to the town square several times for the night race. No need to buy a ticket for that and there are big screens to show the race (and a glimpse of the actual piste above).

Yep, the town is really buzzing on race night, and as queenie pretty please,, screens to view and beer tents. Stadium tickets go on sale in the previous August and sections sell out quickly. Accommodation also gets booked out early.
Free viewing up the mountain course side, but usually bitterly cold. Fabulous event, pre-covid. Combine with Kitzbuhel. Not many sporting events in the world come close. Very Happy
snow report
I have been on race or two, but for me nothing matches Schladming. Kitz is different, as I'm always high up on course and you don't really get that feeling, except when skiing down the course after race and trying to get through those people around finish area, but with Schladming, it's 50m wide crowd on each side of the course from finish to almost top. Even after so many races, and so many Schladming races, I still get goose bumps when standing there on course with all that noise around. So while course and normally weather are nothing special, atmosphere is something that is truly amazing, and for me, Schladming is definitely the best stop on WC tour. And now, it's even easy to work, with tunnels, and especially with sending all the photos from the track, as I don't need to rush through all that crowd between runs. Before World Championships it was crazy, as you skied down the track, exit finish area and try to get to press center 500m away through all that crowd... quite a challenge to get through 50.000 dead drunk people to press center with your skis, cap, sunglasses etc. still with you, bonus points went to anyone who managed to avoid being poured over with bear or puke Very Happy But after WCH it's super easy going through garage and exiting 200m from press center avoiding all the crowd.
So if someone is thinking about single race to see, Schladming is the one... just not this year, as this year it's not going to be Schladming. Today it's going to be just some race. 50.000 people are those that make Schladming what it really is.
snow report
davidthornton wrote:
Not many sporting events in the world come close. Very Happy

Not had the good fortune to go, but must admit that on the telly it's not stood out as being head and shoulders above other blue ribband events. E.g the Tour De France, Le Mans, world cups in multiple sports etc.

It's obviously a fantastic night and it would be my pick of FIS events to see, but I think there are plenty of events which probably have a similar atmosphere.
snow report
DB wrote:
extremerob wrote:

Must've been something in the water in the third week of December 1993! No idea what the incidence of results even close to that is since but given that Bailet piqued our interest yesterday those two 66 place jumps sound statistically anomalous?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@robboj,
That's what I thought. Foser had a lot of luck with the weather, I think the sun made the course faster and he was able to see the course better.

A few more high winning bib numbers here ….

Some of them won with very big margins too.

http://youtube.com/v/ViYVAcQ8sSA
ski holidays
I've been fortunate enough to have had the opportunities to go to many live sporting events, blue riband, over the years and IMHO some, F.A.Cup Final, Rugby and F1, do get close to Schladming Nacht Race and Kitz weekend for the sheer buzz and 'hairs on your neck' but not better. Few matched, for me, the atmosphere on the Hahenkamm when, in 1999, an Austrian 1 2 3 (Knauss, Rzehak, Franz) sent the already manic crowd into delirium: I was viewing from the Hausberg and a wall of noise surged up the mountain from the finish area.
There is on Youtube live coverage of the 1981 race (http://youtube.com/v/EmeZ23aOQHw) 1.5hr. Incredible scenes of ski racing in another era, including Bartelski's Kamikaze attack on a crowd protected by just a 4ft high wicker fence, (about 50mn in). Also featured is the legendary, and a very upright, Ingemar Stenmark attempting to accumulate some WC points in the then newly introduced points system. The unbeatable in slalom Swede (46mn in) finished the course a lengthy 11 secs behind the winner!
latest report
For those people who didn't see Kryenbühl's run and finish line crash on Friday's DH on the Hahnenkamm, his run is available to watch on YouTube - WARNING it was a pretty horrific crash. Sad
http://youtube.com/v/gXL1sL0YpfU&feature=youtu.be
snow report
Reminder to all that the Schladming Night Slalom will be on this evening. 1st run is at 1645 with the second at 1945 - likely to be under heavy snowfall.
It will also be Julien Lizeroux's last race before hanging up his boots - bib #38, Ryding is bib #11.

Hopefully we will see Lizeroux into run 2 as he bows out, though it wouldn't surprise me if he takes it as a victory lap with something to entertain he audience - his Partner Tessa Worley, who took the podium in the womens GS this morning, with a great 2nd run charge in Kronplatz wished him good luck at the end of her race

http://youtube.com/v/aGTQQwLRv64
ski holidays
davidthornton wrote:
F.A.Cup Final, Rugby and F1

FA Cup I don't think is a good example, usually attended by a lot of people on a corporate jolly etc. The ones you really want to be at are the likes of the cup upsets, or the proper local derbies. Tat and world cup games
Likewise F1, often attended by those with a passing interest...but Le Mans is something else, people plan their whole year around one week. Nurburgring 24h is just an insane week long party with the sideshow of some motorsport. Many of the campsite pitches have makeshift hot tubs, not uncommon to see large scaffolding structures with 3 piece suites on them, fireworks to rival a large carnival, sound systems more suited to a music festival and more. Last time I went there was one group with a motorised picnic bench so they could move around the track/campsite while still on the binge.
snow conditions
@extremerob, thanks for the reminder. Saw it just in time!
ski holidays
Julien really is becoming a kept man now that Tessa has upped the pace. wink
snow report
Just a quick reminder Schladming Night Slalom first run is on now, live on purport player. Dave Riding goes 11th out of the gate in first run, for the UK supporters.
snow conditions
Really interesting to see the spread of times from the top 12 so far at Schladming !
ski holidays
Big gap between the top 5 and the rest so far. Strange.

Nice to see Mario’s brother have a good first run.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Big gap between the top 5 and the rest so far. Strange.

Nice to see Mario’s brother have a good first run.

Austrian commentator saying the course has become a lot more icy with less grip after the first few racers.

Yes great to see the brother of that bloke who runs the Krazy Kanguruh having a good first run.
latest report
Can it really change so quickly? We are talking a matter of minutes between these runs.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy