Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New FIS Ski WC 2020/21 Thread + Cortina WSC 2021

Poster: A snowHead
extremerob wrote:
Another great race today with a podium of fresh faces,

Agree! I just wish we had a fresh commentator. Two races in and Nick Fellows is already getting on my last nerve rolling eyes . I remember now why I pay for Eurosport player with the no commentator option. Laughing

(Mustn't moan really. So happy to see skiing again!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
extremerob wrote:

What's the guy on the right doing with his pole?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB, not sure, but Lucas is looking pleasantly surprised Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward wrote:
Does anyone know which downhill & SG courses are being used for the men in Val D?

Just catching up.

I understand the Funival from La Daille will be reserved only for the FIS “bubble” for the duration of all the races in Val d’Isere.
Everyone else will be directed to the La Daille gondola.

No spectators in Soden this weekend but how is that going to work when resorts are fully open ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
muppet wrote:

No spectators in Soden this weekend but how is that going to work when resorts are fully open ?

Solden was open to recreational skiing presumably? I guess they just have marshalls to send people away if they try and spectate?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I imagine they're not concerned about holidaymakers etc. stopping and watching the racers from the piste as that isn't a significant Covid risk. The issue would be the huge numbers of people flocking in to watch the race; somewhere like Kitzbuhel would have been packed on race weekend. Most resorts I've been to during the races could close a chair to the public without a major issue. Somewhere like Wengen I imagine they'll close the Lauberhorn chair to the public, which the racers use to get to the start hut and have FIS bubble trains from the village. Kitzbuhel will probably reserve the gondola out of town, which would be more of a problem but obviously you can access the mountian from Kirchberg or Jochberg. Being in the resort during the race week might mean holidaymakers are slightly more inconvenienced than usual but I imagine numbers will be lower this year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
muppet wrote:

Solden was open to recreational skiing presumably? I guess they just have marshalls to send people away if they try and spectate?

There is exclusivity on Rettenbach Glacier. Only those who have the appropriate accreditation as participants or employees can stay on site. At the same time, the spacious Tiefenbach Glacier ski area will also be opened up for public skiing. However, the ski tunnel towards Tiefenbach Glacier remains closed on the race days. "Togetherness" of ski guests and the World Cup team is therefore impossible.

My guess is going forward there is going to be very strict separation of racers from spectators/ rest of ski resorts, in a similar way that F1, tennis, NBA etc have all dealt with this. Tessa Worley has given an interview explaining how strict the measures are on safety - she said they can't go out in resorts to bars and restaurants, and they are being tested on a regular basis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yesterday evening the FIS announced that the upcoming night parallel slalom races at Lech Zurs were being postponed by two weeks, this means the ladies will now race in Levi on the 21/22 of Nov before the rescheduled parallel slalom races

Quote:

This is to inform you that after careful consideration with all stakeholders, due to lack of snow and high temperatures, it was decided that the Audi FIS Ski World Cup in Lech/Zuers (AUT) scheduled on 13th – 14th November 2020 will be moved to 26th – 27th November 2020.

The next snow control will be on 18th November 2020.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's a shame but thanks for letting us all know.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Levi women SL races confirmed - provisional start times of 0915 and 1215 for first and second runs respectively for both Saturday and Sunday

Also Eurosport are running a black friday offer - £19.99 for one years access if you sign-up with a new account- you can bypass this by setting up a new email if needed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've already had a "there are no team orders" and a "Austria go 1 & 2..." before skier crosses the line in 3rd to put Austria 1 & 3. I simply don't understand why he commentates by trying to guess the future, which frequently is wrong, confuses the viewer and makes him look stupid. He would do well to listen to what Murray Walker says "my job is to tell the people what they're seeing"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
I simply don't understand why he commentates at all

FIFY Laughing

Great race, though! Lots of women from out of the top 30 getting through to the second leg, (unfortunately not the Brits), which I love to see. Podium not a surprise, despite the weather getting worse towards the end of the race. Felt sorry for the Swedish team not being able to race but it's probably not the last time something like this happens. Hope everyone's OK.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I watched it, thinking it was a Night race and not live.

Then the Commentator said "Here in Finnish Lapland..." and I realised it was indeed Live, just a very dark wintertime day....

Good race....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One thing which has caused a bit of a storm on social media among the racers and the teams today was the FIS decision to prevent the Swedish Girls from racing as one of their trainers tested positive. Anna Swenn-Larsson was one of the favorites and very displeased by the decision given the testing regime in place.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
extremerob wrote:
One thing which has caused a bit of a storm on social media among the racers and the teams today was the FIS decision to prevent the Swedish Girls from racing as one of their trainers tested positive.

I thought it was a Finnish government ruling, not a FIS decision.
ski holidays
It doesn't seem fair but imagine if one of the skiers then tested positive. The Swede's would be blamed and maybe the other races cancelled altogether.

The Finnish snow did remind me of the conditions at the Snowdome at Tamworth.
ski holidays
Three of the men's Swiss team have tested positive so will not be racing at Lech next week. Sad
ski holidays
Justin Murisier, Marco Odermatt and Loïc Meillard.
snow conditions
Nice to see a 'Brit' qualifying for a second run... Smile
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
extremerob wrote:
One thing which has caused a bit of a storm on social media among the racers and the teams today was the FIS decision to prevent the Swedish Girls from racing as one of their trainers tested positive.

I thought it was a Finnish government ruling, not a FIS decision.

I think you are right, I've read through the FIS Covid protocol and it would appear they would be allowed to race if they carried out a test and it came back negative. The Italian media seemed to be implying it was FIS preventing the swedes from racing which is why I had said it was FIS Puzzled

Either way it was a great weekend of skiing and Vlhova was impressive with her back to back wins - talk about first world problems, she now has to name two reindeer wink

latest report
@albob, first World Cup points for Charlie Guest. Good work!
snow report
Enjoyed the racing but Fellows really is a cliche-ridden irritant (and how he gets away with his blatant plugs for the British skiers' various sponsors is extraordinary!)
snow report
russ_e wrote:
The Finnish snow did remind me of the conditions at the Snowdome at Tamworth.

I think it is "farmed" snow from last winter rather than from snow cannons.
ski holidays
Not sure if it is my eyesight but the Austrian clothing seemed different yesterday, kind of brown rather than red. Or maybe I need a new tele,
snow report
Petra Vhlova looked very impressive on both days over the weekend, didn't she!
ski holidays
@Harrow lady, definitely the usual red
snow report
Harrow lady wrote:
Not sure if it is my eyesight but the Austrian clothing seemed different yesterday, kind of brown rather than red. Or maybe I need a new tele,

You need a new Telly ! (good excuse for a Christmas present?) : it was getting dark though, so colours may have been distorted.. (the suits did seem a dull red)
snow conditions
Vhlova is definitely in it to win it. Will be interesting to see how the season pans out if Shiffrin gets back to form. It can't be easy for her when one of her biggest supporters is not there anymore (her Dad).

The Austria girls did very well in the second run, one even taking the best time.
https://sport.orf.at/skialpin#/event/10831?listkey=leg2
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Marco Schwarz has also now tested positive for COVID19 and will not be able to race at Lech this week.
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, does that mean the whole Austrian team cannot race?
snow report
@maggi, the report I saw said just him
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, that's a bit odd when all the Swedish women couldn't race, (although I know it was the coaching staff who tested positive, not a racer). Doesn't seem fair. I'm sure the Austrian racers must have been mixing.
ski holidays
I think maybe that's because it was decided by local officials, and that's the point Swenn Larson was making, that the rules should be the same from event to event.
snow report
@maggi,yes it doesn’t seem fair at all.

But I think it was all to do with the restrictions imposed by the Finnish authorities and not the FIS in the end.

As it seems the Swedish team were in talks with Finnish authorities to be allowed to leave and go back to Sweden as they were meant to quarantine for 10 days. I haven’t checked what the Swedish media reported on this in the end. And if this means they won’t be in Lexh.

If the restrictions of the local authorities where Marco is currently training is that anyone in contact with him has to quarantine and he was in contact with the rest of the team then it could well be the outcome.

It’s all a joke, for example if I am told to quarantine in the UK I can leave and the government here no longer care, the authorities at my destination may not require me to for example if I tested negative on arrival.
snow report
extremerob wrote:
It’s all a joke,

Except it's not funny. I'm sure we've not heard the last of it and it may change before the weekend. I'd guess the Swedish team will have some objections.
snow report
maggi wrote:
extremerob wrote:
It’s all a joke,

Except it's not funny. I'm sure we've not heard the last of it and it may change before the weekend. I'd guess the Swedish team will have some objections.

Completely agree with you - not sure how FIS are trying to level the playing field here - there is already so many variables in the snow, weather, light between racers.

I recall a race a few years back it was either Super-G or Downhill, it might have been at Val Gardena, where the weather was terrible and the first racers went and the podium was pretty established with the best ski racers having gone - by about racer 30 something the weather started to clear dramatically and there were major upsets in the leaderboard due to the drastic change in visibility. Can't recall if a 30ish bib number managed to scalp the podium from a favorite but it was one of those "it's not over until the fat lady sings" moment.
ski holidays
@maggi, The races are not at the weekend, they are on Thursday and Friday.

It might have been better to run the men on the first day of the two to give the women longer to get there but I guess there was the thought that the slope will be a bit rutted for the second day.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@maggi, The races are not at the weekend, they are on Thursday and Friday.

Yes, you're right, thanks. I didn't check. I guess I'd have found out in time, though. Social media is a wonderful thing Cool .
latest report
In Austria a "contact person" is someone who has been in contact indoors for a period of at least 15 minutes with either a positive case or a suspected case. So anyone who fits those criteria with regard to Marco Schwarz will be required to go into 10-day quarantine. He may well have been training outdoors with other members of the team (they have been training on Reiteralm this week), but given that it is outdoors and well distanced, that wouldn't necessarily mean that any of them are "contact persons".
snow report
extremerob wrote:
maggi wrote:
extremerob wrote:
It’s all a joke,

Completely agree with you - not sure how FIS are trying to level the playing field here - there is already so many variables in the snow, weather, light between racers.

I recall a race a few years back it was either Super-G or Downhill, it might have been at Val Gardena, where the weather was terrible and the first racers went and the podium was pretty established with the best ski racers having gone - by about racer 30 something the weather started to clear dramatically and there were major upsets in the leaderboard due to the drastic change in visibility. Can't recall if a 30ish bib number managed to scalp the podium from a favorite but it was one of those "it's not over until the fat lady sings" moment.

One of such races was Val Gardena for sure (yeah I remember it, as I was standing on the hill for more then 7h), and Nyman (bib 39) won, Perko (bib 35) was second, with several (7 to be exact) over30 bibs in top 10. But that's one thing. It's outside sport, and weather can change. Normally it actually changes so that front numbers have better conditions, but sometimes, even though rarely, those from back profit. But that's one thing. This covid thing is completely different thing. And while in Levi whole team was out for non-racer testing positive, in Austria all is good, and only Schwarz will be out while everyone else can race as nothing happens. And that's not really fair in my mind. Have one set of rules for every race, every event and every country. If it depends on government rules, then take those rules that are most strict and apply them on every race as FIS rules. But having double standards and then excuse that it's not FIS issue but government issue, it's not really fair in my mind.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy