Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New FIS Ski WC 2020/21 Thread + Cortina WSC 2021

Poster: A snowHead
It appears it was not a FIS decision to cancel but rather one driven by the canton itself:

Quote:
The canton is concerned about the dynamics in which the virus is spreading. Based on this fact, the Directorate of Health assumes that the virus mutation from Great Britain in particular leads to this effect.

In consultation with the OC, Swiss-Ski and the people responsible for the Ski World Cup, the health and business administration have decided to withdraw the permit for the Lauberhorn races.

https://www.be.ch/portal/de/index/mediencenter/medienmitteilungen/suche.archiv.meldungNeu.html/portal/de/meldungen/mm/2021/01/20210111_1504_kanton_bern_sagtinabsprachemitdenbeteiligtendielauberhorn-rennen.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Due to the recently deteriorating Covid-19 situation in Wengen, the 91st International Lauberhorn Races cannot be held.

After a renewed analysis of the current Covid 19 situation in Wengen, the canton of Bern made the decision to cancel the races on the Lauberhorn that were planned from Friday to Sunday. The organizers, Swiss-Ski and the FIS support this measure and thank the cantonal authorities for the good cooperation.

"The decision hurts enormously - all the more because the organizing committee has done excellent preparatory work," says Bernhard Aregger, CEO of Swiss-Ski. “The cancellation of one of the most prestigious racing weekends in the World Cup calendar makes the heart of every ski fan bleed. Nevertheless, it is our job to ensure the safety of everyone involved. Even with difficult decisions like this, health is in the foreground. "

https://www.swiss-ski.ch/newsroom/news/covid-19-situation-in-wengen-zwingt-die-lauberhornrennen-in-die-knie/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently (although i've not seen anything official) it's Kitzbühel right enough but with the Slaloms both on this coming weekend as the HKR slalom is brought forward one week.

The original HKR weekend will now have a Downhill on the Friday to replace the Wengen one, the HKR Downhill on the Saturday as normal and the SuperG on the Sunday.

Seems sensible to me and uniquely acceptable with no spectators anyway. Also keeps the tech racers and speedsters separate, apart from presumably such as Pintarault whom will likely race the SuperG to try and get some points on the board?

Although I do wonder if the weather gods might have the last laugh on the speed weekend?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the FIS facebook page

"BREAKING: The Canton of Bern’s Health and Business Administration decided to withdraw the permit for the Lauberhorn races in consultation with the Wengen OC, Swiss-Ski and the people responsible for the Ski World Cup. It was determined by the Bern Authorities, after a detailed evaluation, that it would not be possible to take all precautions so that the athletes and the support teams can be adequately protected in separate zones.
One Slalom and one Downhill from Wengen will be rescheduled in Kitzbühel (AUT) while for the second Downhill, a replacement will be announced in due time."
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend who lives in Wengen said that they've had 100 new cases of Covid-19 since yesterday! Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, the Austrian news said that a British family who own an apartment in Wengen travelled there for New Year and are likely to have brought B117 with them. If this is true then not only have they travelled against the travel ban but one assumes they have also failed to quarantine, thereby infecting many more people and cancelling a major international sporting event. If a case can be proven against them, surely there are grounds for some sort of legal action?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@queenie pretty please, I hadn't heard that, but my friend who lives in Wengen did post that there was a British person who was subsequently found to be infected had attended the English Church on December 20th, and they were responsible for spreading the infection to quite a few others. The other question is when did they arrive in Wengen, if they arrived on or after 14th December then they were obliged to quarantine for 10 days and shouldn't have been in the Church in the first place!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Alastair Pink, the Austrian news said that a British family who own an apartment in Wengen travelled there for New Year and are likely to have brought B117 with them. If this is true then not only have they travelled against the travel ban but one assumes they have also failed to quarantine, thereby infecting many more people and cancelling a major international sporting event. If a case can be proven against them, surely there are grounds for some sort of legal action?

Or just a convenient bit of Brit Bashing? So the FIS W/C circus is moving to Kitz anyway rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@halfhand, Surely there's no doubt that the B117 variant was brought into Wengen by someone travelling from the UK.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink, churches should close. Non essential.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@halfhand, Surely there's no doubt that the B117 variant was brought into Wengen by someone travelling from the UK.

Dunno is there? Genuinely I don't know.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mauro Caviezel has shared some footage of a training run crash in Garmish on Thursday that led to a severe concussion and LCL injury and bone bruising to his left knee - he was seen with crutches and no confirmation yet on the severity of the injury and recovery/return time.

You can see footage of the incident here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ3tS6As4eA/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@extremerob, heard about the crash whilst the Eurosport guys referenced it when his brother was racing but hadn't seen it. Quite an impact, out as soon as his head hit the deck. Nasty.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now just seen the Tommy Ford crash, looked horrific and I can see why Eurosport weren't repeating it much.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tommy's crash Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/RzGBG-CyMmw
snow report
Great race tonight in the Flachau. (Spoiler)
Really glad for Shiffrin, her first win since her father passed away and creating a great challenge for the title
snow report
@DB, agreed. Chuffed to bits for the podium. As an aside I saw my apartment on the cgi graphic where they showed the resort and panned into the course. Closest I'll get to it this season

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-01-21 21:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@DB, Not really sure it needs a spoiler, it doesn't seem to have been broadcast in many places.
snow report
@rjs, there will be complaints if it is openly said. Some people will have recorded it
snow report
rjs wrote:
@DB, Not really sure it needs a spoiler, it doesn't seem to have been broadcast in many places.

There's a lot of frustration on here at the moment, not sure if it's down to a lack of skiing or sexual but I didn't want to push it.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, It wasn't on German TV at all, did you watch it online ?
latest report
Without wanting to give it away, the performance by a certain low bib number was fantastic, really exciting skiing.
ski holidays
@rjs, British eurosport. I usually watch it in Flachau
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, German Eurosport had a replay of some recorded biathlon then snooker.
snow report
@DB, .
agree with you an important win for her but sad to see Liensberger missing out on her home hill

In other news Braathen will miss the remainder of the season following the fall he took on the finish line in Adelboden, with 6-9 months of rehabilitation needed - not clear if he will have surgery yet. McGrath is also out for 6 weeks.

http://youtube.com/v/_rTfDSQdbhU
snow conditions
@extremerob,

Agree esp after she put in the best time on the second run. Mixed feelings but was glad they secured the first two positions between them.
latest report
rjs wrote:
@holidayloverxx, It wasn't on German TV at all, did you watch it online ?
Yep, scrolled through ZDF, Sport1 and Eurosport Deutschland in vain last night. Sad
ski holidays
Looks like the Wengen to Kitz races won't happen now.

https://www.skysportaustria.at/wengen-ersatzrennen-in-kitzbuehel-wegen-mutation-abgesagt/

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 13-01-21 12:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, just announced as cancelled due to the discovery of the B117 virus mutation.
ski holidays
From FIS....

Men's Kitzbühel Slalom races rescheduled to Flachau (AUT)

This is to inform you that the two slalom races scheduled in Kitzbühel (AUT) on Saturday and Sunday 16th and 17th January 2021 have been moved to Flachau (AUT) on the same dates.

The rest of the scheduled races in Kitzbühel are currently set to go ahead as planned.

All teams are advised that the arrival date in Flachau is Friday 15th of January and not any sooner.
ski holidays
Woohoo! Fab news. Races on my doorstep, but I cannot go and watch them live. But good news nonetheless.
ski holidays
Good. With no televised rugby and the prospect of no ski racing, I was beginning to wonder whether there would be any TV sport worth watching this weekend!
snow report
The womens GS races in Maribor are moving to Kranjska Gora due to the lack of snow, with the races to take place on the Podkoren slope
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@rjs, there will be complaints if it is openly said. Some people will have recorded it

I think it's fine in this thread as it's obvious from the title what it's about. Anyone with any sense wouldn't read it if they were avoiding spoilers. In fact, I avoid the whole of "snowSports" until I've watched the latest WC race. I would, and do, complain when a result is in a random Après thread.
ski holidays
BBC published an article this evening on the cancelled Wengen race with some strong finger pointing at a British tourist. I wonder if there will be proceedings against them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55645396
ski holidays
Loving the local radio advertising for the Flachau races this weekend. Thin Lizzy – The Boys are Back in Town. Very retro and totally Austrian. Very Happy
snow conditions
Over a thousand mass PCR tests have now been conducted in the Kitzbühel valley with only four positive results. Hopefully next week's races can go ahead.
ski holidays
Maybe I‘m a bit slow (don‘t answer that) but I didn‘t realise until just now that Shiffrin has more 1st place wins than Hirscher.
ski holidays
She probably if the mental motivation remains has the ability to surpass Ingemar Stenmark’s record

She is arguably a more all round skier than hirscher as well having more discipline 1st places
ski holidays
extremerob wrote:
BBC published an article this evening on the cancelled Wengen race with some strong finger pointing at a British tourist. I wonder if there will be proceedings against them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55645396

I really must check back but was the order that anyone arriving since the 14th was to quarantine not retrospective? In that it wasn't made until after the UKG announcement on the 19th? if that is the case it's pointless blaming folks that arrived before then and quite lawfully went about their holiday.

I agree with the basic premise that international travel should not have been happening anyway but the Swiss can't complain about losing the races if that's an outcome of them letting folks into the country because they wanted their tourist francs?

(Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong about the timings of the quarantine requirements)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy