Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New FIS Ski WC 2020/21 Thread + Cortina WSC 2021

Poster: A snowHead
@ster, Agree regards the young skiers coming though, same in the women's events too, albeit Shiffrin appears back on it after her difficult time, and she's great to watch. I tend to follow the Austrian's and they have some real talent (as well they probably should being their national sport and the facilities they have), but nonetheless great to see. I keep in touch with the progress of Michi Matt, he's had a strange start to his season but i'm hopeful he's getting dialled in now.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always felt that it was a mistake for Ryding to switch ski supplier at a time when he was in the ascendency, it seemed his first season on the new skis (I forget what he went from/to, think it was Fischer to Dynastar) he took a real step backwards. Of course that's with the caveat that I don't know the reasons behind the switch and that it may be his hand was forced quite a bit. Can't be easy being a pretty much lone force for British Men's skiing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Austrian ski teams (esp. the men's) are missing the superstars of years before (to name a few, Maier, Raich, Hirscher, Dorfmeister, Schild).
Nice to see the up and coming talent and quite a few Austrian podium finishes recently though.

Shiffrin is getting better but I don't believe she is on top form yet. Prefer a 3 to 4 'horse' race than just one or two dominant winners too.
Also liking that some of the up and coming talents are getting into the top 30 even when they they had 50+ start positions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DB, no, Shiffrin definitely isn't on her pace yet. I think Vlhova has made a step forward too, but Mikaela was head and shoulders above the rest of the field previously, and even her skiing doesn't look as aggressively smooth. I think part of it is her move toward speed events too, her GS is much closer to previous form than SL.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not a great first run for Ryding, Two seconds is a lot to make up.

2nd run starts at 1430 UK time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MM very much dialled in....awesome second run and result
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hes not as good as his brother apparently though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When you lose your Dad its a big deal, but I think this one was particularly so, and it follows that Shiffrin's return would be somewhat incremental. In a way it is nice to move the Miller-Vonn-Shiffrin spotlight onto the other Yanks who are making it look like we have some depth for a change. As for Mr. Ryding, he must have serious fortitude; must be hard and lonely but good on him.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Better news for British ski racing today. Laurie Taylor won a Europa Cup slalom in Val Cenis in France with Bill Major in seventh place.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ster, Super Mario was some racer....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, please don’t think I was being derogatory towards Michael, its just a running joke that the Eurosport guys always manage to bring up Marios triumphs when poor old Michael races.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:
@Markymark29, please don’t think I was being derogatory towards Michael, its just a running joke that the Eurosport guys always manage to bring up Marios triumphs when poor old Michael races.

The Austrian commentator even addressed Michael by his brothers name (Mario) today.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
ster wrote:

The Austrian commentator even addressed Michael by his brothers name (Mario) today.

So did Mr Fellows on British Eurosport! He hastily corrected himself, though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a running joke in our house. We see how far through the run they get before the relative gets a mention on eurosport. Mario in Michael Matt's case, dad Ken for Erik Read (known as Ken's boy in our house) mum Barbara for Ryan CS (Barbara's boy) mum Sarah for Blaise Geizendammer, sister Marlies for Bernadette.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lpsmc1 wrote:
It's a running joke in our house. We see how far through the run they get before the relative gets a mention on eurosport. Mario in Michael Matt's case, dad Ken for Erik Read (known as Ken's boy in our house) mum Barbara for Ryan CS (Barbara's boy) mum Sarah for Blaise Geizendammer, sister Marlies for Bernadette.

Atle Lie McGrath always gets a parent mentioned as well!

Their commentating is so predictable. Also, when Ryan Cochran Siegle won the Super G in Bormio, it was so annoying hearing them talk about RCS this, RCS that. Say his bloody name not the Abbreviation!
snow report
lpsmc1 wrote:

It was the same for the now retired Felix Neureuther - except he had a double mention of his dad and mum Rosie Mittermair!

This is one of the reasons I find the commentary repetitive and tedious - some biographic detail can be of interest, not just the same old stuff churned out every time.

Hopefully with so many races in January we might get more Chilton.... Very Happy
snow conditions
Whenever the Matt family name is mentioned I always think of this 'classic' clip (from 8:54 onwards)

http://youtube.com/v/JEFl2paZUVo
ski holidays
@DB, yes best to do no research on the topic at all, certainly then don’t come away looking like a bunch of amateur pissheads with a camera and mic.
ski holidays
The other one Fellows like to do is mention a ski racing husband
snow report
Yes, never forget Mr Chilton originally called Lyndsey .....Kidlow, some problem with the true name
Kildow!
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:
Yes, never forget Mr Chilton originally called Lyndsey .....Kidlow, some problem with the true name
Kildow!

It's Lindsey with i! Very Happy
ski holidays
Warning gossip : Lindsey with an "i" is single again.

https://www.thethings.com/heres-how-lindsey-vonn-is-coping-with-her-breakup-to-p-k-subban/

and has a new look (although to be honest I can't tell what the difference is).

https://www.oe24.at/leute/oesterreich/lindsey-vonn-neuer-look-nach-trennung/459883060
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
The other one Fellows like to do is mention a ski racing husband

TBF, the German commentator does that too, and gets it wrong by not knowing that some couples have split up.
snow report
LOTA wrote:
Better news for British ski racing today. Laurie Taylor won a Europa Cup slalom in Val Cenis in France with Bill Major in seventh place.

Some more good news for British racing today: Major (he's done well since quitting as prime minister!) won a second Europa Cup slalom in Val Cenis; Taylor was second and now leads the cup's slalom standings.
snow conditions
We like to play Nick Fellowes bingo too. Particularly:
- explaining that Lara Gut is married to a Swiss footballer.
- discussing why Estelle Alphand races for Sweden.
- Nina and Patrick Ortlieb.
- crowbarring in a mention of Tina Maze or Anna Veith.
- wondering if Eva-Maria Brem will ever be as good as she was.
- comparing all German racers to Maria Höfl-Riesch.
latest report
And lets not forget the always honourable mention of Tina Weirather's parents, Herti and Hanni. (Less so now she's retired, obvs.).
latest report
lpsmc1 wrote:
mum Barbara for Ryan CS (Barbara's boy).

They just called it (but not too many of others)
ski holidays
Thats Lucas Braathen out for the season after that fall over the line today.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ster, thought so as soon as I saw it
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/_rTfDSQdbhU
snow report
@holidayloverxx, On first sight I thought it was rather innocuous and was just going to end up on his blooper tape. I also thought that there was another crash where a ski was fired up on the air that was going to bad. But I guess it can be hard to tell, well for me anyway. Quite a tough course with the light and shade going into that tight turn with the drop off.
latest report
I really hope that Marcel Hirscher's lad chooses a different sport when he grows up.
Also let's not forget that Dominik Paris has a heavy metal band!
snow report
Braathen will hopefully get over his injury, he looks like one of the same generation along with my personal favourite Marco Odermatt. Watched him since the Europa cup. Fascinated to see if he develops into a speed guy or sticks with the technical side. (I know I need to get a life!). But have to admit my real love is biathlon.
ski holidays
Alexis was amazing today.

A thought i'd had was around the British Skiers, not sure if anyone knows the answer. Are they paid a "wage" by GB snowsports? Or are they reliant on sponsorship and winnings?

Imagine they get some form of training fund perhaps?
latest report
@swskier, most of them must get a stipend/expenses/training fund. I cant see winnings being much and they aren't high profile or on TV enough for sponsors, ones in it for a return anyway, to be interested. The Rocket excepted maybe.
latest report
@swskier, Think most have to pay GB Snowsport for training, some opt to follow their own programme. Fairly sure even Dave Ryding didn't get anything from GB Snowsport for a long time, he had a personal sponsor for some of the costs.
snow report
Hope Tommy is OK
https://www.salzburg24.at/sport/wintersport/schwerer-sturz-von-tommy-ford-ueberschattet-adelboden-rtl-98106187
snow report
Great racing today WM WC DH St Anton
snow report
Irish skier Thomas Maloney Westgård scored a top 10 in a FIS Ski World Cup race at Val di Fiemme today.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Great racing today WM WC DH St Anton

I was amazed that Goggia could stay upright. That was a quite incredible ski. And there were some other performances that were outstanding too. Good to see Stuhec getting back to form.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy