Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What am I doing wrong?!

Poster: A snowHead
Personally, when I was at the Intermediate stage of learning, I found being told to "Get forward", left me unbalanced, with too much weight on the tips and not enough on the tails - and took me out of a neutral, balanced position. If I hit a mogul, I'd often nose plant. This was a misinterpretation of what I was told.

When I got more subtle instruction and was told that the time to push forward and across was at the start of the turn (ie. to stop being left behind), but then let the skis "ride through" as the turn progressed leaving me balanced again over my feet - it all made more sense. Skiing an easy slope with the boot clips undone helped with remaining balanced.

I think it's about how well its explained - and then what you use as a personal "trigger" to remind yourself on the mountain when things go pair-shaped.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I try to focus not on a particular fixed stance, but on movements patterns. If people are trying to get forward, or stayed centred, or flex their ankles, etc, it's pretty easy to end up in a static stance. But skiing requires dynamic balance, with fairly constant movements. When I see a skier making effective movements they are much more likely to be in dynamic balance, often cleaning up any weaknesses in stance they have when they are relatively static.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
I try to focus not on a particular fixed stance, but on movements patterns. If people are trying to get forward, or stayed centred, or flex their ankles, etc, it's pretty easy to end up in a static stance. But skiing requires dynamic balance, with fairly constant movements. When I see a skier making effective movements they are much more likely to be in dynamic balance, often cleaning up any weaknesses in stance they have when they are relatively static.

"Dynamic Balance" is a much better way of thinking about it, as terrain is constantly changing - and the different stages of the turn require you to move in a such a way to remain in balance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

"Dynamic Balance" is a much better way of thinking about it, as terrain is constantly changing - and the different stages of the turn require you to move in a such a way to remain in balance.
As you move around a turn the forces which are being generated ebb and flow. The terrain changes, the snow changes, you can influence the shape of the turn, pretty much everything is changing at the same time. Trying to maintain a "good stance" runs a risk of ending with a static stance, making it more difficult to work with the ebb and flow of those forces.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
As you move around a turn the forces which are being generated ebb and flow. The terrain changes, the snow changes, you can influence the shape of the turn, pretty much everything is changing at the same time. Trying to maintain a "good stance" runs a risk of ending with a static stance, making it more difficult to work with the ebb and flow of those forces.

It took me a while, at the start of learning to ski, to realise that trying to implement a static image, while engaging in a dynamic sport, didn't work. One of the limiting factors were instructors with more limited English.

On the other hand, very nebulous instructions, without detail on how to achieve it, are also unhelpful. Years ago, I remember having a lesson with my Brother, at the famous Alta ski school in how to ski powder. The only instruction we got was "Snake right on down there". He did. We didn't.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gemma,

As always there's lots of good advice on here. I have to agree with Rob on the key thing though, to get better you need some lessons and you have to practice on slopes where you feel safe so you're not always skiing in survival mode. In survival mode all thoughts about skiing the way we know we should go out the window and we go back to just trying to get down the hill without falling over or crashing into people.

There's a great series of skiing videos on Youtube by Darren Turner that break everything down into clear, easy to understand steps. I think they might help you get your head around what it is you need to be doing.

Here's one to get you going, but you can go through them and find the one's that make most sense for you.

http://youtube.com/v/jkZ-8NKD1V0&list=PLC502BC8CCA9BB32D&index=10
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GemmaRalph13 wrote:
There’s a lot to take on so I’m booking some lessons at Hemel with Rob (there goes my new ski suit rolling eyes )

Better to have all the idea but no gear than the other way round.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^^ The Elate Media videos are superb for watching during in the lead up to a trip. I still go back and watch them at times to give myself a bit of a reminder.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GemmaRalph13 wrote:

I’ve absolutely fallen in love with skiing and everything about it. The last 3 trips have been in St Anton and we’re off to Tignes this time to try something new.

Good choice - St Anton is just about the worst place in the world IMV to be a beginner or early developing skier, relatively few pistes, big traffic, steep pitches almost everywhere and and aspects/scraping that can leave things an icy mess or piled up junk.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First post here. Good for you to seek help. First thing is that you initiate your turns with your upper body. It is important to concentrate on edging your skis. You will not be able to do that unless you narrow your stance. The easiest way to get on track is to start all over. You have to unlearn to movements that you have ingrained in your system. That may not take a long time, but you have to force yourself to take a step back. I did the same with my daughter last winter who was where you are now. My suggestion: go back to a bunny hill. Place you skis at hip width. Slide straight down the hill and unweight (or even lift slightly) one ski while you keep looking downhill even as your skis turn (or as the Austrians say: immer ins Tal hinein shauen). If you lift or lighten your left ski you will turn left balanced on your outside ski. If you lift or lighten your right ski you will turn right. This may sound easy, but it takes practice. Start practicing this one turn at the time until you are able to perform a nice carved turn. Then take the next of combining two turns. You will notice that you will not be able to lift the ski if you are too far back. Since you already have a sense of balance, my guess is that you will make great progress in one or two days. [url=http://youtube.com/v/2765E3PGyM4][/url]
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dj61, Welcome

fixed the url for you

http://youtube.com/v/2765E3PGyM4
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to snowHeads dj61!

Not sure that teaching Harb's phantom move to encourage carving is the best thing right now for GemmaRalph13.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe not. But my daughter was in the same state last year when she asked me to "finally teach her how to ski properly" and this worked wonders for her.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That Harb video could be the worst piece of instruction I have ever seen on line...
snow conditions
@skimottaret, Laughing
Don’t hold back.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
... video could be the worst piece of instruction I have ever seen on line...

Surely not?

I'm positive I've seen much worse, but they're lost in history now . . .

You could start a new thread with some favourites though @skimottaret Toofy Grin
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads dj61!

Not sure that teaching Harb's phantom move to encourage carving is the best thing right now for GemmaRalph13.

skimottaret wrote:
That Harb video could be the worst piece of instruction I have ever seen on line...

No, don't tell me. You're experts, I s'pose Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

Ah hah this could be popcorn time. If there's anyone more of a zealot than a Trumpite in a MAGA hat its a Harb cultist.....incoming......
snow conditions
The Harb video looks bad to me.
latest report
The Harb vid maybe bad -- but the replies are not a very friendly welcome to a new member
latest report
So I’m curious, having seen a link to the videos appear every two or three years on snowHeads - what exactly is so awful about the Harb technique?
snow conditions
I've gone friends who are into the Harb thing who ski far better than most on here but then they don't evangelise for it. But many do and it is very much an acquired taste....
snow conditions
I agree you' ll be grand with some more instruction!
You are clearly very strong, you are in a sqat position for the whole video, I'd be knackered Smile
Try somewhere flatter, turn slower and let you speed build gently.
While still do a small jump. The position you land in should feel similar to the position you ski in. Weight over the middle of the skis. Unless you fall over then try again Neh Neh
Mainly you are having a good go and you can't teach that : good lessons will reap rapid rewards.
ski holidays
Pejoli wrote:
So I’m curious, having seen a link to the videos appear every two or three years on snowHeads - what exactly is so awful about the Harb technique?
It focuses on one set of movements which are good for one kind of terrain. It’s the opposite of teaching people to be versatile, all mountain skiers. The few people I see really hone the Harb movements are good at medium radius, grippy turns with a rushed setup phase. That’s fine for gentle to moderate pistes with decent snow conditions. But if that’s your default turn it’s less useful for other types of terrain and snow.

A few weeks ago I taught the skier in the opening post and she did great.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I've gone friends who are into the Harb thing who ski far better than most on here but then they don't evangelise for it. But many do and it is very much an acquired taste....

Harb fans who spread his gospel are generally very annoying, as is Harb himself. But he surely knows how to get down a hill and that gives him some credibility. I mostly like Tom Gellie's approach but my guess was that his videos are a bridge too far for the OP at this phase. I must admit that rob@rar aggression and the lack of nuance came unexpectedly, but evidently we live in a polarised world where pointing out other people's wrong is more important than contemplating one's own right.
snow report
dj61 wrote:
I must admit that rob@rar aggression ...
I expressed my opinion in a polite manner.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Me too. It looks like a guy who can ski, doing some weird thing with one of his legs. Whatever.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
rjs wrote:
Me too. It looks like a guy who can ski, doing some weird thing with one of his legs. Whatever.
An accurate observation.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
rjs wrote:

It is a drill. Furthermore, there is no guy in the video.
latest report
@GemmaRalph13 I think your doing pretty well.
Lessons, Lessons, Lessons and perhaps some more lessons.

But I think you are managing pretty well. (I've watched your video)

I'm not going to say "do this" or " do that" and nobody takes any notice of my tips anyway.

I dont know where you are in that video, but I'm going to guess its "The Happy Valley" at Sankt Anton.
Its the end of the day .. the pack is heading for the Mooser or the Krazy Kangaroo and your all tired after doing a shed load more work than your legs have done all year. Plus its very busy, with lots of other debutante skiers.

I've only been skiing for 50+ years and I still take lessons when I get the chance.

My son in law is a brave skier ... he has never taken lessons ... he's much faster and braver than me ...
But his skiing looks terrible.
I wish he would take lessons before all his duff technique is set in concrete.
But then I'd never be able to keep up with him Crying or Very sad

But you are enjoying it, or you will be by the time you get to the bottom Very Happy
snow report
dj61 wrote:
...It is a drill. Furthermore, there is no guy in the video.
It still looks like a guy who can ski, doing some weird thing with one of his legs.
snow conditions
Ooops .. I hadn't read the last two pages of post ...
So it is St. Anton. Madeye-Smiley
I thought I'd recognised that dark crowded valley as the sun goes at the end of the afternoon.

Why do they call it "Happy Valley"?

I've only been back once since 24 years... but the snow is still sort of white.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy