Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me pick where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So booking our 2nd trip for next season which involves a 5 night break in for the first week in March 2022 (so getting 4 days on the piste). Got 4 accomodation options which tick our boxes.

The resort options are ADH, La Rosiere, Sauze and Soldeu. Not been to any of them before but have always been keen to visit each one for various reasons.

We are keen on piste intermediates who mostly enjoy reds but do like a cruisy blue thrown in with an occasional black to test us out. As for off the piste, hoping to take advantage of early March sun to enjoy a beer on the mountain and something decent for lunch and whilst we aren't after mad apres a selection of decent bars wouldn't go amiss in resort.

If you had to pick, where would you go out the above?

I'm leaning more towards ADH but like Italy and the terrain going across into Sestriere but concerned about snow quality in March in Sauze. Andorra is a total mystery to me, but from what I've read March is a really good month to go for weather and piste conditions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoid the weekend and Monday before Shrove Tuesday in Soldeu if possible.
I haven’t been to the others.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I really like Sauze and like most it can have both good and less snow levels. There's a lot of it though, so usually there's going to be enough for even a relatively sparse coverage. Pistes as you want, grade wise, and venturing over to Sestriere is fun. On mountain food good too, with village matching apres ambience you've noted as desirable. Well worth a visit and that week is ordinarily a good snow period across that region. Primary pick I'd say.

AdH a good balance too, with higher terrain if needed. Again a lot to ski and friendly apres atmosphere to match list. Like this one too, but if equal snow then Sauze may have better swing toward your asked for balance of attributes. Usually high sun levels, and melt too if really hot, can rain with temperatures high in March, pretty spectacular right up at the top with big altitude feeling.

La Rosiere, pretty good range ski wise but possibly can't match the previous two, although plenty to do for period skiing noted. Been in January when it can be frighteningly cold and exposed up that end of the valley as the wind can get a real bite to the area as it goes over the pass. Some steeper tree line over Italian side, and will usually be much warmer in March. Italian lunches push the balance to help that aspect, know less about apres there to help you.

Soldeu, no experience from me so you'll need another to chime in to compare.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First week of March will be French school holidays. Following week a lot better!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To add, relatively short transfer from Turin to Sauze too.

Also, although a while ago, had some of the best tuition for skiing there in Sauze with particularly skilled and calm instructors, very knowledgeable ex racers with very lucid teaching techniques if that's of interest.

Some very good places to eat in the evening too, has much to offer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
First week of March will be French school holidays. Following week a lot better!

We are flying out on the 5th so will miss the last of the area C holidays.

Think we are leaning towards ADH at the moment...more for the snow quality.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied Soldeu in Feb, March and early April. We had amazing weather in April a couple of years ago, a mix of fresh snow and t-shirt skiing when we did march (that was about 10 yrs ago) and lots of ice in Feb 2016. Great for reds and blues, not too many black runs and great for a beer (or mojito) on the slopes in the sunshine. I did ADH in Jan a few years back which was ok but would hesitate later in the season as I think was mostly south facing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flights might be a big factor for a short trip though ... we are also thinking of a 4 night ski trip (around 22nd Jan) and Geneva has WAY more flights than anywhere else.
Usually several every day from Manchester or Luton with Easyjet.

Turin , Milan Malpensa and Innsbruck seem much more limited... We cannot use Gatwick / Heathrow or Stansted are too far to travel .
Manchester is closest airport. Luton is as far as I am prepared to drive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fridge03, "Think we are leaning towards ADH at the moment...more for the snow quality."

More luck than may be obvious for somewhere with the altitude AdH has. It can get very hot because of aspect and uninterrupted sun, but highest snow is much less of a cruise environment and quite challenging (it's very good if that's your aim) for those of a more mild piste taste.
Visiting in March 2nd week, we had heat and refrozen piste initially, then snow at night which made it superb, followed by rain mid week (never had such a soaking while skiing) and significant water skiing down at mid station, then finished the week with snow so heavy on Saturday to leave that they had to chain the coaches to get down to clear road Very Happy
Snow sure of a fashion and not a complaint, but it can swing wildly from one to another. If it lines up, then fabulous skiing and well worth consideration.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So, we went with Soldeu in the end. It's always been an area I've wanted to explore and the the quality of the accommodation and it's location sealed it for us out of our choices.

Plus the flights into Toulouse are super cheap! Doing Toulouse over Barcelona as the drive looks a little bit easier but any suggestions on that would be appreciated! We will be stopping on route to stock up on supplied including food and drink. Better to do this in France or in Andorra?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shopping will be cheaper in Andorra but Soldeu only has tiny "supermarkets" (basically the size of a corner shop). However there are big supermarkets in Pas and Andorra la Vella.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fridge03 wrote:
So, we went with Soldeu in the end. It's always been an area I've wanted to explore and the the quality of the accommodation and it's location sealed it for us out of our choices.

Plus the flights into Toulouse are super cheap! Doing Toulouse over Barcelona as the drive looks a little bit easier but any suggestions on that would be appreciated! We will be stopping on route to stock up on supplied including food and drink. Better to do this in France or in Andorra?

Been a while since I did either of those journeys, but the trip from Toulouse to Soldeu is now easier thanks to the Envalira tunnel. Doing the Envalira pass in a snowstorm is one of the most traumatic episodes of my childhood. Shocked

The road up from Barcelona to Andorra has been improved a lot, esp with the Cadi tunnel, but it's still a long and winding road, so Toulouse looks a wise option.

I expect the main choices from Toulouse are whether to use the toll motorways or not, but as long as it's not snarled up on the A620 Toulouse Ring Rd section, it's probably worth paying €12 each way to have a fast road for 2/3 of the journey all the way to Tarascon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Google maps says 2h15m Toulouse - Soldeu.
Remember they are non-EU, so have passports ready for inspection at the border (sometimes they will, sometimes they won't), and for heavens sake switch off mobiles!
I haven't been into Pas town, just skied down and lift back up again, but as it is full of party Brits I'd assume there was a decent supermarket there. Or even hunt down a hipermarché on the outskirts of Toulouse? We usually stay in El Tarter, 5km further on, and use the big "duty free" style shop there, opposite Espunyes which can give great ski gear discounts (awesome in 2013, not so impressed in 2018). Beside that shop is a very tasty meat grill if you want to be carnivore for an evening.

I see Shrove Tuesday is 1 March next year so I guess you'll miss that; quieter slopes, good.

Hope it goes well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Sauze! Been twice in March and conditions where still great + the added bonus of amazing sun!
It is a great spot for intermediates and you have the options to push yourself if you wish on a number of decent long runs.

as for the Apre and relaxing time, the bars are varied and there is most certainly something for everyone. Bonus aswell that most bars give you free pizza/ cheeseboards/ hams & cured meats whilst you drink, saves the pennies as we hardly had to get dinner Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy