Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2020/2021 (inc useful info)

Poster: A snowHead
@Claude B, amazed nobody has gone up and skied all the untracked snow !! looks dreadful Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, my mates went down something similar. They were full of it when we met up again.

To get up there is about 1500m of skinning.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claude B wrote:
@Tristero,

I'm not familiar with Arête à Jacotte even referring to IGN map. But certainly laps of Chalance, The Pierre Grosse itinerary which is now a black or various pistes are possible. There are a couple of itineraries now pistes from Fee too which are now more attractive.

The name refers to the ridge above skiers right once you have left Chalance. You reach it by going round Roche Mantel. You've probably been there if you like to go off piste. If you hold the ridge, you can reach the village of Cuculet. I got the name from the old Vamos guide-book by Ginet/Villaret.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tristero, I know where you mean but no I haven't been down that. Not in the winter anyway. I've hiked it in the summer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Decided to skin up as far as I could this morning. Another bright sunny day. Cracked on pretty well and managed to get up to 2900m after 1350m of climbing. Pretty cold up there though. Photo from my finishing point, you can see the glacier resto at 3200m ahead. It looked much closer in real life but would have taken a fair while longer to reach. Decided to ski back and have a pint at the Patachon at 2200m.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hiking on and below Vallée Blanche yesterday. Snow has gone in many places and spring is springing in the mountains. Saw my first marmotte of 2021 but he quickly disappeared. Although we had a very small fall of snow last night.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank for all the kind words from those who have appreciated my updates. Some who I have been lucky enough to meet here. However as the owner has informed me that my "air of entitlement is beyond compare." I guess that entitles me to fúck off.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
Thank for all the kind words from those who have appreciated my updates. Some who I have been lucky enough to meet here. However as the owner has informed me that my "air of entitlement is beyond compare." I guess that entitles me to fúck off.
WTactualF??!!! I love your posts, even though I have no burning desire to visit your resort (though I'd love to meet you in SC again, had such a lovely day last time we met.)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B wrote:

Clearly I've missed something here but lilke Hurtle I've enjoyed your posts this year as a bit of vicarious ski fun
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Claude B, Your posts are super, and of all the posts on the weather bit of the forum its the one I look at. Hope the airbag is still ok?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've missed something too. If it wasn't you doing the reports I wouldn't bother looking.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are you sure he didn't mean another SH largely resident in France?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
I've missed something too. If it wasn't you doing the reports I wouldn't bother looking.
+1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Are you sure he didn't mean another SH largely resident in France?
good point. That would make sense.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As the summer is approaching, wanted to share the video from last summer trip to L2A, overview from top of Pied Moutet 2389m. pls ignore my evil russian numbling Smile

http://youtube.com/v/iNIM_dlfW88
ski holidays
Thanks Colin for very informative and non-self centred comments. Hope to get to ski with you again.
snow conditions
As one of those fortunate to have had a (planned) meet up with Colin, a drink and a lovely morning’s skiing (although I failed to keep up with him Madeye-Smiley ), I was grateful for his time, company and knowledge. No idea who said what, but hope @Claude B, returns. His posts and great photos have provided some vicarious ski-fixes in these barren times.
snow report
@Claude B, having just booked a short break in Jan, I’m all ears for any updates. I’ll be watching the weather closely snowHead
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@Claude B, having just booked a short break in Jan, I’m all ears for any updates. I’ll be watching the weather closely snowHead

Me too booked for the week Starting 16th Jan...my 4th visit to L2a.....fingers crossed
snow conditions
@DaveD, red or blue?
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@DaveD, red or blue?

My football support is Blue and ever hopeful and I ski Reds Laughing
ski holidays
Can someone (admin or whoever) let the rest of us know what was the issue with claude B ?
ski holidays
@DaveD, glad to hear it. It’s like skiing appalling icy blues crowded with drunks on the last run of the day though watching Wednesday at the moment Sad
snow conditions
twoodwar wrote:
@DaveD, glad to hear it. It’s like skiing appalling icy blues crowded with drunks on the last run of the day though watching Wednesday at the moment Sad

Like I said ...I'm ever hopeful ....and have been for the last 30 years lol
snow conditions
latest report
Claude B wrote:

Please come back. I try to keep the very similar Jungfrau thread alive, (I know, it’s tough) and you do such a great job on the LDA thread I love it, despite having never been to your village.
ski holidays
@Claude B, agree with @telford_mike, we are missing you. Best wishes
. Roger
snow conditions
Agreed @Claude B, I really looked forward to your posts!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Getting a bit of snow cover!
latest report
Not looking like any further cover till month end at the earliest. Grenoble as closest station I could find .

ski holidays
It looks like a lot of snow has fallen and is about to. Reports appreciated from anyone out there or recently returned. Snow and/or Covid compliance situation. Due to travel Jan 4th
snow conditions
Hi Guys,

Thinking of an easter trip to Venosc with the caravan and looking for advice on Les 2 Alpes for a family. One trip to Finland under our belts with the three kids (7, 11, 13) comfortable on blues after three days of lessons in Levi. I'm competent on my snow board on reds in general.

Hoping to arrive in Venosc on Sunday night so maybe skiing from Monday the 11th or Tuesday the 12th. Probably looking at ski school for the kids for 4/5 mornings when i will board and then either call it quits and do other things in the afternoons or do a few runs if the kids are feeling like it.

Advice on ski school - all recommendations very happily received.
Advice in rental - all recommendations again would be brilliant.
What ski passes are recommended? I see a few different options on the website.

General advice for that area for a family in a tin tent in April.

Other activities that might be worth checking out.

Also - google maps give fastest route (by 15 minutes) via paris. Would the slightly longer route via tours be better with a caravan? No idea once i get beyond Normandy / Brittany as that is where we have visited in previous years.

Thanks all
latest report
On a (slightly) related note, we're in ADH for week from 19th Feb, and were thinking about nipping across to L2A for a day.
Given its a busy week, rather than go up to the station in the car, is it more sensible to park at the bottom of the Venosc lift and take that up? Looks like a ~10min walk to the nearest next lift from the top, but once there, you're off and away?
Any other tips or suggestions?
latest report
Sticking this here for want of a better place. Last time I was in LDA, there was a bookable bus run between la Cordee in St Christophe and Venosc. This allowed you to St Christophe from the col de la Girose and then get the bus back into the lift system. I also recall the tarte aux myrtilles in la Cordee being pretty good. Does this arrangement still run? More interested in the bus than the tarte but info on either much appreciated.
snow conditions
Any update on current conditions in LDA? Or ADH?
Thanks in advance.
latest report
Also looking for an LDA snow update if anyone can help?
snow conditions
Rednat5 wrote:
Also looking for an LDA snow update if anyone can help?

Just returned from a week at LDA staying at the UCPA centre. It may be a little late now, but there is little to no snow at the village and what there is on the valley runs is very wet. Further up above 2600m the snow is soft but in good condition, especially on the glacier. Some pistes are rather stony though which is a good idea to be aware of. Off piste is probably a bit limited.

On the previous couple of days some slow avalanches have rolled over pistes and caused closures, not ideal, but thankfully no one was hurt.
ski holidays
ill second the above.

just back and while the first few days of the week were good thanks to a c. 10cm snowfall on sunday last (13th), its very wet/bare/ptachy below cretes now, and the temperatures have picked up. Still ok above cretes and on the glacier. Nothing tragic and still good fun for the once a year skiier but it really needs a freshener and some lower temps.
snow conditions
Thanks for the update
As this is our 5th attempt to get there we’ll be happy to take what we can get!

Good to know!
ski holidays
Thanks for the update
As this is our 5th attempt to get there we’ll be happy to take what we can get!

Good to know!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy