Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance inc Covid & against FCO Travel Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone seen anywhere that is doing insurance for this season's skiing, that'll cover for Covid and for travel against FCO advice?

I've seen a few but the age limit seems to almost always be 59.

We don't have anything booked but myself (age 45) and my dad (age 73) would normally be looking at driving down to somewhere in France for a week in January (Tignes last year was amazing). In reality, the risks of catching Covid would probably be smaller than they are here in that we'd drive there in one hit and only get out of the car to stretch our legs, refuel, toilet break etc. When we get there, we'd be self catering and aren't bothered about missing out on Apres Ski (our level of Apres was a beer half-way down the last run of the day generally). If we looked at Tignes, you could do pretty much the whole week without using a Gondola (only one I can think of that's unavoidable is the Olympique if you wanted to go over to Val D'Isere but there's plenty of other areas to explore)

So, in reality, we might be willing to travel against FCO advice (in that the risk of getting it that week would be no higher than getting it in the UK). Quarantine etc on the way back isn't an issue for either of us.

Just comes down to whether we'd be able to get insured. In particular, it's the cover for my dad. I think I'd be fine from having a nosy around but most places don't cover over 59s (kind of understandably I guess).

We'll be waiting until much closer to the time to book anything anyway so I'm still at the research stage. Might be that it's just a non-starter (particularly with Brexit and the mess that might be Kent in January from a driving perspective).

Anyway, any decent providers that anyone knows?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is another thread running on this but it's buried a few pages away now. Here is what I've come up with so far. Usual caveat applies - namely check the fine print for yourself and your specific circumstances.

MPI

Great for ski cover but getting sick with C-19 is excluded under the current scenario (France on the FCO list advising against travel)

Battleface

Covers getting sick with C-19 if you travel against FCO guidance but they provide no Snowsports cover. They were very expensive. Age limit of 59.

Insurefor

Claim to be the only UK insurer providing cover if you catch Covid having travelled against FCO guidance. You can get winter sports cover for 18/21 days (depending what you tick) that includes off piste within ski patrol guidelines but not touring or race training. Might be suitable for some folk?

HeyMondo

Another insurer that claims to provide cover if you catch Covid having travelled against FCO guidelines. But, they only cover winter sports if you tick the box and it’s NOT the main purpose of the trip. Underwritten by AXA, registered in Spain.

Carte Neige / Carre Neige

I’ve only considered that as good to get you off the mountain and into the ‘cabinet medical’ but I usually take it so as to save potential hassle.

EHIC

Consistently reading that it will be good for the duration of your trip if the trip started before 31st Dec 2020 and you will stay covered even if the trip continues into 2021. Problem will be persuading the French of this fact when you are broken / sick.

Since I am planning to stay for the season, I expect to have to treble-insure: Carte Neige to get me rescued; MPI to pick up the pieces; either HeyMondo or Insurefor to cover Covid-19. If you have the spare time, it would be great to get another pair of eyes on some of these firms’ offerings.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 2-10-20 10:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The thread @bobski62, mentions:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153404
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great. Thanks so much to both of you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulhinch wrote:
If we looked at Tignes, you could do pretty much the whole week without using a Gondola (only one I can think of that's unavoidable is the Olympique if you wanted to go over to Val D'Isere but there's plenty of other areas to explore)

You can avoid the Olympique by taking the two chairs that go up Face
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was thinking of going down (I'm not sure my legs are up to getting down Face then having a day's skiing afterwards!!). Given Santons tends to get shut a lot, there's not really another route down into Val D'Isere is there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bobski62, lots of that makes sense and is very useful, thanks. Cant remember if it was Avanti, Staysure, Insurefor or all 3 but they would only add on the 'against fco advice' cover for trips upto 104 days. We were looking at cover for a season too. Seemed odd because it was about a fiver to add it on for 80 days and I would have been happy to pay £100 extra for 150 or whatever the exact duration we were researching was.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I work closely with FCDO, including visiting the travel advice cell...they are under constant pressure to amend travel advice for many good reasons. However, there is no indication that this will change anytime soon. In fact, UK continues to trend down and is likely to categorised as a Cat C country unless the current trajectory is arrested.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @Dravot, are you able to say what the categories are and roughly what each means? I tried Googling but didn't get much on categories.

On a chart I saw on the BBC today it looked like UK, Spain, France, might all have turned the corner but still early days to draw too much significance from the numbers.

But reading between the lines your expectation is that advice against travel to France and consequent quarantine on UK return is unlikely to change any time soon...?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

EHIC

Consistently reading that it will be good for the duration of your trip if the trip started before 31st Dec 2020 and you will stay covered even if the trip continues into 2021. Problem will be persuading the French of this fact when you are broken / sick.

Since I am planning to stay for the season, I expect to have to treble-insure: Carte Neige to get me rescued; MPI to pick up the pieces; either HeyMondo or Insurefor to cover Covid-19. If you have the spare time, it would be great to get another pair of eyes on some of these firms’ offerings.

@bobski62 We're planning on staying out for the season too and interesting to note that we have both come to same conclusions - Carte Neige for rescue & Insurefor for Covid - hadn't heard of Hey Mondo so will look at that now.....and still looking at other options to make sure we're covered for everything we can be.....although not overly worried about cancellation as already negotiated with the accomodation some flexibility there. Will post again if I find anything interesting to add to this thread.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy