Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, Mountainsun - are they dead or only sleeping?

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, I quite like slightly shagged-out French mountain flats. I stayed in a hotel in Les Arcs called 'Les Belles Challes' or something like that. All the corridors were on an incline to match the hill. It was designed by a student of Le Corbusier and reminded me of the hotel from The Shining. Really rather liked it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
No, I believe the former company (MountainSun) was split, one half concerning the French operation (MountainSun France) and one half concerning the Italian operation (MountainSun Italy). There were different directors for the two companies following the split, which arose following the death of the guy who set up the original company way back when. I don't believe that this was a Phoenix arrangement, just the remaining directors deciding to head in different directions when the original owner died.

Mountainsun Italy Ltd was renamed fairly quickly after it was incorporated to Dolomitesun Limited with two directors, Jude Lamb and Sittah Russo who had been directors of Mountainsun Ltd until shortly beforehand. Kingston Hill Ltd was the original sole shareholder, so that ties in neatly with a split of the company. The Italian side of things is still going.

To clarify, Mountainsun Ltd was set up by 3 people - Robert Jaffe (born 1937), his niece Devora (Dev) Anne Jaffe (born 1959), and her husband Martin John Lee (born 1952). Robert Jaffe's appointments were terminated in April 2014, presumably due to his death. Devora Jaffe and Martin Lee remain joint shareholders in Kingston Hill Ltd, and were the sole shareholders left in Mountainsun France Ltd and Mountainsun Ltd respectively until May 2019, when Devora Jaffe resigned and Martin Lee was appointed to Mountainsun France Ltd.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ousekjarr wrote:
The Italian side of things is still going.
The business may be still on companies house but they shut operations at least 18 months ago.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Albergo Forshinn in San Cassiano is now under new owners

Facebook post

"...Dear all,
Albergo Frohsinn will be opening under new management this winter.
If anyone wants to follow and see all the exciting new things the landlady and her family have to offer,
this is the link to the new page:

https://www.facebook.com/bedandbreakfastfrohsinn/

Wishing you all a happy and healthy winter!
Sittah and Jude...."

https://www.frohsinn.it/en/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boobleblooble wrote:
@pam w, I quite like slightly shagged-out French mountain flats.

I know what you mean... brown carpet up the walls.... funny pictures of doe-eyed kids... brown perspex tap knobs.... mustard coloured tiles

Sorry, thread drift alert!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The properties I stayed in were 'shaged out'. However great prices and cheapie trips I would not have done if there was nothing else on offer. Food was...edible! There is a place for companies like this. Shame.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Robert Jaffe, who built Mountain Sun was a shrewd man. He was fond of the 'all exclusive deal': Bicycle sir? Cheapest you'll find anywhere. Great! Now, will you wanting to upgrade to the rubber tyres, and add a saddle perhaps?
But when it came down to it, he was honest and I rather liked dealing with him even if (and in some part because) he did keep U on your toes. The success of Mountain Sun was down to his knack of delivering something perfectly acceptable at a price that got people talking. In fact, a mutual friend once told me he had boasted that he'd "filled thousands, literally thousands of early season beds through snowHeads without having to pay a penny in advertising." But that's because it was a deal that got snowHeads talking... snowHead

After Robert's death though, there were, I am given to understand, some dark shenanigans went on at the company and considering the hands its assets seem to have ultimately fallen into, I suspect we may be better off without them and should really be counting ourselves lucky that they went down without a load of customers getting burned.

RIP Robert Jaffe.
RIP Mountain Sun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's interesting, @admin. All good things come to an end, I guess!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, The end of SnowHeads !! How dare you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ed123 wrote
Anyway we'd rather have a couple of weeks skiing- or three at a good price / value than 1 week of fluffy towels.

My thoughts exactly!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ed123 wrote
Anyway we'd rather have a couple of weeks skiing- or three at a good price / value than 1 week of fluffy towels.

My thoughts exactly!

+1 Cheap and Cheerful seems to be disappearing from the market, Happy to bring my own towels and I don't need a sauna or hot tub even less a swimming pool; private facilities are nice but 2 extra weeks skiing trumps it all.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jaxskis wrote:
ed123 wrote

My thoughts exactly!

+1 Cheap and Cheerful seems to be disappearing from the market, Happy to bring my own towels and I don't need a sauna or hot tub even less a swimming pool; private facilities are nice but 2 extra weeks skiing trumps it all.

Melezes in Tignes did have a hot-tub, but I only ever saw it used at the end of season Seasonniares party/drink the bar dry. I have I just done an oppsie?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes a tub- I've been in it- as have my kids- hence the sunscreen scum on the top- (from my kids- Mrs Ed being a dermatologist and as a consequence Little Ed major is allergic to almost every sunscreen- having been smothered in it as a nipper).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

I've been in it too. A few times!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@admin,
Quote:

some dark shenanigans went on at the company and considering the hands its assets seem to have ultimately fallen into

Yes, interesting, would you care to elaborate?
snow conditions
@ed123,@maggi, me too but thankfully no photos. Smile I always waited until about 5 kids had stopped cavorting around, dive bombing, in the hot tub, so dread to think what I was soaking in.

If it really is Mountain Sun RIP, then that's another nail in the coffin of affordable deals in a top mountain resort. There was something special about a traditional Sunday roast, after a day skiing fresh powder on early May bank holiday Monday.
ski holidays
'I am given to understand, some dark shenanigans went on at the company and considering the hands its assets seem to have ultimately fallen into, I suspect we may be better off without them'

I feel it necessary to respond to this I can only comment as a happy customer to whom their ‘cheap and cheerful’ meant 4 ski trips a year. The owners/partners (following a management buyout I understand) I met and dealt with were always friendly, professional and hard-working they offered a good service at a fair price.
They worked hard to upgrade the Melezes doing much of the work themselves to me a sign of true commitment. I still remember one young woman helping me with my bag as I was only some 6 months post major surgery.
I mourn their passing and will raise a glass to the good times I had there when I get back to Tignes.
latest report
jaxskis wrote:
'I am given to understand, some dark shenanigans went on at the company and considering the hands its assets seem to have ultimately fallen into, I suspect we may be better off without them'

I feel it necessary to respond to this I can only comment as a happy customer
Don't get me wrong: I'm well aware that Mountainsun delivered great value and made lots of snowHeads very happy. Even after Robert Jaffe's death, the staff carried on delivering the friendly enthusiastic service people had come to expect, even if things were changing behind the scenes. It is indeed sad to lose the Mountainsun that Robert had built, although I'm afraid realistically, that has mostly been gone for some time now.
Quote:

I mourn their passing and will raise a glass to the good times I had there when I get back to Tignes.
Quite right too snowHead
ski holidays
So we know what’s become of Albergo Frohsinn in San Cassiano.

Anyone now what’s happening with the (presumably leased by Mountainsun) Hotel Melezes, in Les Boisses?
snow report
I was recently told they had acquired planning permission to turn it into a block of apartments but for the moment, I understand Albergo Frohsinn is being run directly by the owner/family.
https://www.frohsinn.it/en/
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
I...... dread to think what I was soaking in.
- I can tell you now- sunscreen scum + extract of unwashed children and bodily fluids from the same. Nice.

PeakyB wrote:
There was something special about a traditional Sunday roast, after a day skiing fresh powder on early May bank holiday Monday.
Yep.
ski holidays
admin wrote:
...although I'm afraid realistically, that has mostly been gone for some time now.

I would disagree with that. We used MS France for 13 years, before and well after Robert's death and imo the service and more importantly the fabric of the hotel steadily improved year on year. Every summer Ellie and co remodelled a few rooms, added en-suite facilities, improved the bar area, newer mini buses, put in the sauna and hot tub, etc...

A real shame that Brexit (mainly) and Covid caused their demise after so much hard work...
snow conditions
@ed123,
Quote:

PeakyB wrote:
I...... dread to think what I was soaking in.
- I can tell you now- sunscreen scum + extract of unwashed children and bodily fluids from the same. Nice.

On the +ve side, I was kept going for weeks on the chewing gum the little darlings left floating in there wink
latest report
@skimottaret,
Quote:

admin wrote:
...although I'm afraid realistically, that has mostly been gone for some time now.

I would disagree with that. We used MS France for 13 years,

before and well after Robert's death and imo the service and more importantly the fabric of the hotel steadily improved year on year.

+1
If I were an ex Mountainsun bod reading that, I might be crying ‘infamy...infamy...someone’s got it in for me’. Smile
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
admin wrote:

I would disagree with that.
Well yes, I'm sure you'd like to but nothing you say here contradicts what I've said in the context of the rest of the post that you selectively quoted from.
Quote:
We used MS France for 13 years, before and well after Robert's death and imo the service and more importantly the fabric of the hotel steadily improved year on year. Every summer Ellie and co remodelled a few rooms, added en-suite facilities, improved the bar area, newer mini buses, put in the sauna and hot tub, etc...
No-one has said a bad word against the staff, me included.
I wrote:
I'm well aware that Mountainsun delivered great value and made lots of snowHeads very happy. Even after Robert Jaffe's death, the staff carried on delivering the friendly enthusiastic service people had come to expect, even if things were changing behind the scenes.
So you liked Ellie? Great, good for you - so did lots of people. Was she the owner? A director? Did she restructure the company or try to dissolve it 2017? Did she have any say in how Robert's widow was treated?
No? Then it's entirely irrelevant and you are disagreeing with your own strawman rolling eyes

Quote:

A real shame that Brexit (mainly) and Covid caused their demise after so much hard work...
The demise is indeed a shame but, unless they had about 3 years prior warning, Covid had nothing to do with it beyond, perhaps, providing a convenient smokescreen.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@skimottaret,
Quote:

admin wrote:

I would disagree with that. We used MS France for 13 years,

before and well after Robert's death and imo the service and more importantly the fabric of the hotel steadily improved year on year.

+1
If I were an ex Mountainsun bod reading that, I might be crying ‘infamy...infamy...someone’s got it in for me’. Smile

Try not to be confused by skimottaret who is confusing 'the owner' with 'the person he met'.

As I said, nobody has a bad word to say about the staff so let's hope they find decent opportunities elsewhere before long - or perhaps they already have?
snow conditions
@admin, fair point. Seems I misinterpreted your earlier post.
latest report
I guess I misinterpreted as well. I spoke many times with Robert and as you mentioned he was a shrewd businessman and we developed a good way of working together. I don't have any details on who the new owners are, or what transpired.

All I meant to say was that in the years post his death I thought the business of MS France improved as did the customer experience. Your post read to me to argue the opposite.

All a bit moot now as they are gone, didn't intend to start an argument.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@admin, @skimottaret,
Quote:

didn't intend to start an argument

Let's all have a hot tub dip with a cold beer wink
snow conditions
Sadly but unsurprisingly confirmation directly from Ex-Mountainsun staff member...

“Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately we have had to close indefinitely, with no income, lifts closed all season, next season still facing uncertainty and brexit affecting how we employ staff the challenges are too huge. We're all devastated having worked so hard, we miss all of our guests! But it's come to pass and it's the end of an era. Sorry to say we won't be opening again for summer or next winter. All the best and thank you for your support.”
snow report
Crying or Very sad
snow report
Very sad to see them go under - we used them 10 or so times for a cheeky (and mostly cheap) early season trip from 2008. Our last trip with them was in December 2019.

I must say, even though the price had increased a fair bit, there was a world of difference in decor between where it started and ended.

RIP MountainSun, and good luck to Jo, Ellie and the crew over the years.

Thanks Boris Mad
latest report
Anyone know if there is any life in the Mountain Sun corpse?
ski holidays
boardiac wrote:
Anyone know if there is any life in the Mountain Sun corpse?

Companies House shows a few companies under with “Mountainsun” in the name; all are either being liquidated or have already been dissolved.
The last accounts filed (to May 2019 in the case of Mountainsun Ltd which looks to have been the main trading entity) show a pretty parlous state of affairs. And all well before the effects of either COVID or the B thingy
snow report
+1 for we'd rather have a couple of weeks skiing- or three at a good price / value than 1 week of fluffy towels.
ski holidays
Was just looking to get back into my Skiing and it seems Mountian Sun sadly has expired Crying or Very sad
I've done many trips with them in the past to Chalet Les Mélèzes and while it wasnt 5 star it provided me with what I needed a bed some nosh and a bar and all for a few quid. The cooked breakfast option was always a bit odd mind, as someone who likes a good full English it seemed you only got one bit each day, I always said if I saved up each bit by the end of the week I'd have my full English Laughing
it does seem like Les Mélèzes running again in a different guise, no idea whos running it but if you search Fakebook for Chalet auberge Les Mélèzes - Tignes it does ping up, although the last post was back in July.

Does anyone know if its running as a ski place or not ?
snow report
Furbag wrote:
The cooked breakfast option was always a bit odd mind, as someone who likes a good full English it seemed you only got one bit each day, I always said if I saved up each bit by the end of the week I'd have my full English

Nice one.

Brexit borked the business model I believe. there is a thread about it all here somewhere

Mazot in Les Coches was my favourite place - very convivial - and I recall 4 days HB, with lift pass & transfer for £380. Happy days.
ski holidays
Actually @red 27, while Brexit pretty certainly would have borked their business model, its fait was sealed well before that came to pass.

After Robert, who started Mountain Sun, died, control fell into the hands of someone who was less interested in running it as a going concern than 'realising its assets'.
I was told that, as a result, Robert's widow got a very raw deal.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 28-12-22 20:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@admin, I hadn't resalised Robert had died. I remember him staying in Mazot at the same as me and he seemed a nice chap, very unassuming, it was only afterwards that I was told he was the boss.

My last MS holiday was Dec 2019 in San Cassiano - poor Jude running the final days of the ''MS-Italy'' iteration like the trooper she was (is). Hopefully she's not the 'certain someone'!

No doubt Snowheads has given many ex-MS customers excellent ski holidays snowHead
ski holidays
Well it's sad, as we've all said before, and there certainly seems to be a market for a "no frills" operation. Though the Melezes had some frills - for example private bathrooms. Whereas when we started doing budget catered chalet holidays - in the 80s - private bathrooms were certainly not considered essential. Looking at pictures of the "Frohsinn" (ex Mountainsun) it all looks very "refurbed" (and just the same as everywhere else.....).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy