Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damaged skis and boot liners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Busily having a bit of a mare with kit getting damaged (without managing to actually be on a mountain!!). After some advice about what would work...

1. Brand new head supershape i magnums. Second outing indoors (covid put paid to trying them out for real this year). At the end of the session they have a 6cm gouge in the base. About 4mm wide, 1mm deep at its worst. Not down to the core though. No doubt a screw head.....

I'm being offered a ptex fix for this, but don't have experience of how long that will last. Anyone got a view??

2. Boots were a bit loose in the ankles so got the ski shop to add some foam pads. First attempt was too much so had a bit taken off. I've just checked the liners cos I wanted a bit more off and have discovered when the pads were cut back they've cut straight through the liners in some places, others are just through the outer layer of the liner. To me thats new liners please. Only 3 weeks skiing in these.

Are these liners hosed? I don't fancy frozen feet!! The holes are around the ankle area so not directly near a shell seam where water would always come in. Any views on this gem??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@slider3, decent ptex fix I’d expect be fine. Spyderjon the man for a definitive answer.

Boots loose in ankles = wrong boots/too big/both. Shop shouldn’t have sold you them.

Shop should not have cut through liners.

New boots please, that fit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@slider3, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

As under a new name said, spyderjon is the man for advice about ski repairs, hopefully he'll see this thread, otherwise you can send him a PM (private message).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not defending the fit, but they're not terribly loose in the ankle, but the more I push the more I want a tighter ankle (predictable right...) so I got the padding to dial that out. But with hobbit width feet, small ankles and mtb calves they were the only pair I could put up with even in the shop. Widest they had and still need to be punched out more.

Mind you, hindsight is a wonderful thing. This pair have done 3 seasons so when its new boot time I've got much more to look out for.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Duct tape will fix the liners. Skis should also repair fine, especially if the edges are intact. Never a nice feeling to put a big gouge in your skis, bad luck.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@slider3,
Quote:

Not defending the fit

Good. Because it’s wrong Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slider3 wrote:
Not defending the fit, but they're not terribly loose in the ankle, but the more I push the more I want a tighter ankle (predictable right...) so I got the padding to dial that out. But with hobbit width feet, small ankles and mtb calves they were the only pair I could put up with even in the shop. Widest they had and still need to be punched out more.

Mind you, hindsight is a wonderful thing. This pair have done 3 seasons so when its new boot time I've got much more to look out for.

needing padding around the ankle of a boot which has done a couple of weeks skiing (guessing the padding has been on there for a week or more) suggests the wrong boot shape in the first place, or a size too big trying to compensate for some other fitting issue (width/instep height) sounds very much like a boot seller not a boot fitter, and hacking though the liner to "cut back" some padding makes it sound even more like a boot seller, and one who has no pride in their work..... had you had 10-15 weeks in the boot then i would have said natural pack out of the liner but after so little time something isn't as it should be Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy