Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who is aiming to stay longer than 90 days in France this season and what are your plans to do it?

Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
......I together with a friend have been looking at Visa options and there is a Long Stay Visa that will allow you to stay up to six months, it's a fair amount of hassle and involves a trip to London/Manchester/Edinburgh...........My friend also emailed the French Embassy for further clarification........

So said friend went to the Visa fulfilment agency yesterday......

We started by checking the application and handing over my passport. At which point she said you have a UK passport you don't need a long stay visa .
I told her that the agency had asked me to check with the embassy and here was their email reply indicating that I did.
She asked me to take a seat whilst she spoke with the embassy.
Half an hour later she told me that I did need one but they couldn't process the application yet as the embassy hadn't written the procedures.
I now have to check with the embassy to find out when to represent myself.

rolling eyes Puzzled rolling eyes Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, shambles
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just out of interest, in terms of resident days, how is the limit enforced for travel by land? When we drive to Switzerland, the only record anyone makes from our passport is the UK Immigration Service, when we leave Eurotunnel Ashford, and again when we return via Eurotunnel Coquelles. I don't think I've ever had my passport scanned by the French Immigration and certainly never by the Swiss. Obviously, flying is different, with my passport being scanned on arrival at Montpellier and Geneva etc. And we regularly drive across the Swiss-French and Swiss-Italian borders without any record kept (other than CCTV of the car). Of course, the regime from 1.1.21 may be more thorough, I suppose, with French Immigration scanning all Brit passports at Eurotunnel Ashford. But with these 'no of resident days' limits, can you just hop over to Switzerland, Italy or Spain for a few days to break the stay and restart the clock?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 8-10-20 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LaForet, not if they are Schengen countries.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LaForet wrote:
Just out of interest, in terms of resident days, how is the limit enforced? When we drive to Switzerland, the only record anyone makes from our passport is the UK Immigration Service, when we leave Eurotunnel Ashford, and again when we return via Eurotunnel Coquelles. I don't think I've ever had my passport scanned by the French Immigration and certainly never by the Swiss. Obviously, flying is different, with my passport being scanned on arrival at Montpellier and Geneva etc. And we regularly drive across the Swiss-French and Swiss-Italian borders without any record kept (other than CCTV of the car). Of course, the regime from 1.1.21 may be more thorough, I suppose, with French Immigration scanning all Brit passports at Eurotunnel Ashford. But with these 'no of resident days' limits, can you just hop over to Switzerland, Italy or Spain for a few days to break the stay and restart the clock?
As I understand it, the limit is 90 days within the Schengen area (which includes Switzerland), so moving from country to country within Schengen has no effect on the number of days you are accruing. There is no 're-setting the clock'.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OK, right, I can see that, and as on Page 1 travelling by air, arrivals and departures are clearly recorded. And I suppose the OP is sensibly assuming that from 1.1.21 French Immigration will scan everyone's passports when transiting by Eurotunnel or Ferry, because they're already set up to do that, even if they rarely do so currently. So they'll know you entered France, and returned to the UK, whatever the route.

I'm also not clear - is this a total of 90 days in any calendar year, or 90 contiguous days (in which case the clock could be reset by flying to the UK for 2 nights and then flying back)? In Switzerland it's 90 days in 180 days, so I wondered if this was just a standard Schengen condition.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 8-10-20 11:55; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
abc wrote:
......Moreover, it's a lifestyle.

Having a second home and living there through the different part of the year is an entirely different thing than just skiing....

@abc, @boarder2020, yes and I can't go skiing with my dogs in Canada Laughing

And you believe you'll be able to go skiing with your dogs in the EU next year...?

As it stands the 'pet passport' scheme comes to an end with our exit from the transition period, so unless you leave your dog in the EU/drop it off to start it's quaranteen early so it completes when you travel out...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LaForet wrote:
I'm also not clear - is this a total of 90 days in any calendar year, or 90 contiguous days (in which case the clock could be reset by flying to the UK for 2 nights and then flying back)?
90 days in any 180 day period. Flying home to the UK for a short visit doesn't re-set the clock, it's still 90 days in any 180 day period.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, in a rolling 180 day period. There are calculators online
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit, all in hand, we've been through it all, well my OH has, something about 4months and bloods which dogs have, though no doubt like humans it will all change Puzzled

You have to remember there are as many dogs travelling the other way as well if you've ever been to the Eurostar Pets terminal?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, yes, we've sorted it for our dogs too.Talking to our vet last week and the passports probably won't be valid, and we'll have to have a certificate from UK vet on the way out as well as the usual check on the way home. THis is all of course in case of a 'no deal' when we will be a third country. If a deal is made, it should probably not change much at all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cad99uk, we are planning to go out in Dec for the season and have just taken out insurance with https://heymondo.com/ they cover both covid and travel against FCO advice. They don't cover winter sports though so we'll be taking out Carre Neige for that. In terms of the 90 day rule - thinking we may pop back to the UK in Feb to avoid half term madness for a couple of weeks but will see how the land lies nearer the time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
@Weathercam, THis is all of course in case of a 'no deal' when we will be a third country. If a deal is made, it should probably not change much at all.

My fingers are crossed.

This links to earlier comments about FR Embassy not being prepared with relevant long-stay visa procedure: not surprising that the UK “we” and the real-EU “they” are not going to prepare documentation and procedures for multiple hypothetical scenarios, all to be “determined” in the fallout of whatever deals are struck (or not struck).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went through Eurotunnel 2 weeks ago and French passport control put my (Irish) passport through the electronic reader. I’m pretty sure they will manage to scan British passports to trigger the 90 day rule starting after January.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KathE, heymondo - will check it out, thank you.
snow conditions
Let's not forget, the French (or any of the 27 countries) did not ask for this. Whatever dog's breakfast they make of implementing Brexit, and for all the subsequent inconvenience caused, the Brits have only themselves to blame. rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

the Brits have only themselves to blame

That.
snow report
@KathE, Thanks for that. I can not see that they cover for Covid when travelling against FCO advice, either on their website or in the AXA policy details. Did you ask them specifically or have I overlooked it somewhere.
Thanks
snow report
shep wrote:
Let's not forget, the French (or any of the 27 countries) did not ask for this. Whatever dog's breakfast they make of implementing Brexit, and for all the subsequent inconvenience caused, the Brits have only themselves to blame. rolling eyes

EU citizens living in the UK are being treated very well in terms of settled status etc, whereas certain EU countries are treating UK (and other) expats rather badly. It's not an EU thing, so much as a facet of individual EU countries. Let's face it, for all its admirable qualities, France has always been notorious for its red tape and protectionism. 3.6 million EU citizens choose to live in the UK - including a lot of French young professionals, who find it much easier to run a business in London than in France. By contrast, just 1.2 million UK citizens live in the EU.
snow report
@cad99uk, Coronavirus is mentioned on their homepage of the website as covered but I emailed them anyway to ask about that and also travel against FCO advice - just being overly cautious perhaps but at least i have it in writing from them now confirming both covered. Very quick response too.
ski holidays
@KathE, Thanks. I also asked via their web contact form and got the same confirmation that you did. Thanks for pointing them out.
Sent the request last night and had the confirmation by this afternoon. They also confirmed that they covered snowboarding. I think you need the 'adventure sports' supplement.

Edit: Sent the question at 20:00 and had the reply by 22:30 the same evening. Impressive.
snow report
@cad99uk, - thanks - useful to know.
snow report
Just read this...........

The website for Britons in France to apply for the new obligatory residency cards is on track to open as planned in one week’s time, The Connexion has been told.

The Interior Ministry has confirmed to the British Embassy in Paris it will open on Thursday October 15, in line with earlier estimates by the ministry for an opening in the middle of this month.

The opening of the website was originally delayed from July 1 to October 1 due to administrative backlogs at prefectures, linked to the confinement period.

It was then postponed again because a key decree on practical aspects of Britons’ applications (eg. which documents will be needed) had not yet been approved by top administrative body the Conseil d’Etat.

This formality was completed last night, a British Embassy spokeswoman has told The Connexion today.

She added that it should be a very straightforward system that is generous with its decision-making.

It is expected that the website will have clear sections depending on whether people have been in France for longer than five years or less than five years. It is also expected that there will be a specific and simple route through the application for those with a French spouse.
snow report
@Weathercam, good!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, do you have any Scottish heritage?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Alliance
ski holidays
As a non EU/UK citizen I have applied for a 4 months long stay visa in France last winter season. A bit of paperwork but nothing too difficult (perhaps for those used to need visa...)

The hassle for me was
Taking a day off work and travelling to London, joining the big queues At the application center. All included (application,
Photos, travel) probably set me off £200+

In the end, with season cut short, was for nothing came back just the 90 days :-/
snow conditions
France's Brexit residency card website delayed a few days, Monday October 19 is the new date for the opening.

French officials confirmed the brief delay today during an online meeting between bodies including the British Community Committee of France (BCC), accredited Brexit support organisations for Britons, and the Interior Ministry.

The site had been expected to open on Thursday this week, October 15.

BCC's Claire Godfrey, who attended the meeting, said the reasons were Covid-19-related and not political.

She added that she is pleased the ministry is going ahead with promised simplifications for Britons, including the online application, one visit to prefectures, and cards to be sent in the post.
snow report
So the site is now Live
https://contacts-demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/brexit/brexit-residence-permit-application/

And as I thought there is a Geezonaires section on the table here.

Retiree section below

So now just need to find out the necessary detail behind clause 5 of the necessary documentation required?

5 ° Proof of health insurance: a document attesting my support by an insurance company (public or private) offering the services mentioned in Articles L.160-8 and L.160-9 of the Social Security Code

Either way by applying for the residency card we'll be able to at least spend the season there as you have till the end of June if I read it right?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, that's very similar to the Swiss requirements, except of course the Swiss system is all manual and you have to make multiple visits to the council offices to sort it all out.
snow report
@Weathercam, thanks for that. I've no plans for more than 90 days this winter (I wish), although in a few previous years I've just exceeded that limit across Schengen countries. But useful to know what the process is.
latest report
Does a residents card come with tax implications?. I don't want to live in France, but quite keen to visit as a second home owner for 5 months.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Does a residents card come with tax implications?. I don't want to live in France, but quite keen to visit as a second home owner for 5 months.
Having had the time to follow the link kindly provided by @Weathercam, it's not what I thought it was. What I would like is a long-stay permit or visa of some kind (preferably for Schengen, not just France). I have no interest in residency which I assume will come with some sort of tax implications.
ski holidays
Website for CdS applications for Brits opened today. Main prerequisites are tax residency and adequate health cover. So absolutely tax implications.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
Having had the time to follow the link kindly provided by @Weathercam, it's not what I thought it was. What I would like is a long-stay permit or visa of some kind (preferably for Schengen, not just France). I have no interest in residency which I assume will come with some sort of tax implications.

I am in the same boat as you.
Visas as opposed to residency permits are here:
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas
Unfortunately still telling me I dont need a visa, but pretty sure I will from January 1st but dont think it will let me apply.
latest report
snowrider wrote:
I am in the same boat as you.
Visas as opposed to residency permits are here:
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas
Unfortunately still telling me I dont need a visa, but pretty sure I will from January 1st but dont think it will let me apply.
Thanks. I saw that earlier this year, and as you say, it says that UK citizens looking to stay longer than 90 days do not need a visa. Perhaps it will be updated on 1 January.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, As you, That was my understanding. I have looked in detail at Schengen visas, anything beyond 90 days is a national responsibility. Shame they don't do 179, beyond that tax treaties start to be invoked so would be a national responsibility AIUI.
latest report
Did both mine and LynnX's Carte de Séjour applications today (as will all Brits living in France after December 31st), real easy, just have to wait for an email from our local préfecture to take fingerprints, fingers crossed for straightforwardness Very Happy
ski holidays
Made a dire mistake of going on to a French Ex-Pats forum and asking some questions about the "retiree option" and got slated by the holier than though hard-core Ex-Pats who knew what in effect I was trying to do Laughing

I very much got the drift that they certainly don't like second homeowners and their perceived lifestyles etc

They are convinced that even with the retard option we'll still have to do tax returns and the like, and they may well be right?

Like I replied

There is no mention of paying French taxes, and we can both show pensions and will have private health care, so we can meet all the criteria.

I'm fully expecting more than a few hurdles along the way, and if it all backfires then we'll have to make do with being third world citizens and limited to 90 days etc which isn't too bad, and or long term visa

But we'd be foolish not to explore this avenue in just the same way we've looked at long term visas.

And worse case scenario at least going down this boulevard with an application in we'll be able to stay for the whole season at least for next year, which I suspect will not sit too well with the hard-core ex-pats on here Laughing
snow report
@Weathercam, I've come across that on FB groups. I tend to just lurk on them to pick up useful info.
snow report
If you apply for residence you'll be saying to the French authorities that your principal place of residence is France - that is different from the pre Brexit situation where you would apply the 6 months rule and if you were spending less than 6 months you were not a residence (the rules are slightly more complicated).

Yes I realize there were snowheads who were tax dodging by spending more than 6 months in France but it was less obvious to the authorities unless you actually came onto their radar.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy