Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
@Dravot, my idea of utopia, usually do a Euro road trip each September with most of our time spent in the Black Forrest region, Bodensee and Bavaria. Really missed not going this year. Wonderful holiday destination. With everything going on at the moment in the UK I might try to get political asylum there shortly. Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Switzerland has a 10 day quarantine on arrival irrespective of taking a test. Austria and Italy seem to remove the quarantine requirement if you have a negative PCR covid test result.

I suspect this will be a moving position through the season!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiingQuinHat wrote:
Switzerland has a 10 day quarantine on arrival irrespective of taking a test. Austria and Italy seem to remove the quarantine requirement if you have a negative PCR covid test result.

There is currently - still - no quarantine or negative test requirement on entry into Austria. That may change of course. Have you perhaps also read the American embassy website with info for US not UK citizens?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, no test on entry but 2 weeks quarantine on return to the UK yes?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want to keep up to date you can get a weekly email from Gov.UK for the country you're interested: the email will have the salient conditions with updates, plus links to the Foreign Office Web pages e.g.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland

The converse landing page advising people travelling into Switzerland, run by the Federal Office for Public Health is https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende.html The FOPH pages also have a similar updates subscription option.

In the past, I've gone to the landing page of the French Embassy in the UK to determine travel conditions and to download the requisite forms:
https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-UK-and-French-travel-and-quarantine-measures
although I think that the same information and forms-to-fill can be found on the pages of the French Interior Ministry, which also has downloads for documents such as the Exemption Certificate («Attestation de Déplacement») etc. e.g.
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestations-de-deplacement-couvre-feu and
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/Infos-pratiques/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage

At the moment, when abroad and your return to the UK is imminent, you have to complete the UK Immigration Covid-related Declaration, to be found at
https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk
You must complete this even if you are returning from an exempt location that is a designated Travel Corridor country

Note that all this is a snapshot as at 24.10.2020 and if you are booking travel or intending to do so, then it's not a bad idea to get used to navigating the corresponding websites for the latest information and travel documentation. Don't assume that the documentation I've linked-to here is all you need to complete, or the right one(s) for your circumstances. For example, since we travelled in September, the Interior Ministry site has added a mobile option for completing docs.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 24-10-20 13:20; edited 13 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just renewed passport just in case I can ski this season. You will need to be conscious of new rules on 6 months needed from 10 years from issue, not expiry!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@clarky999, no test on entry but 2 weeks quarantine on return to the UK yes?

Correct for Austria (for now), but I have no idea what the UK is doing!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @LaForet, very useful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stevew, what the hell does that mean?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevew, wow thanks, who knew?!
And thanks @La Foret for these super useful links... although I suspect having a deposit with a TO I will know by the time the balance is due in Dec whether they are pulling the plug or not Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
esaw1 wrote:

This

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-from-1-january-2021
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stevew, Thank you for the link. All is now clear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Austria

In view of the current number of cases in Tyrol of almost 2500 active cases

one wonders: What winter season please?

The chance of meeting a person infected with Corona in Tyrol is still statistically about 3 times as great as in Germany (currently 94,000 active
cases).

As long as this does not change, the travel warning will remain in place.

But there are new, drastic measures. Will this be the turning point for Tyrol???

Apparently, the Federal Government is taking proposals into all the measures demanded by the scientific experts which will without require an amendment to the Cable Car Act.

This Phot from Hintertux has schocked Austrian Authorities
https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3072551/

The view from Kitzbühel

Germans travel travel advice is negative which wily destroy the season unless Austria can reduce its infection rate ASAP.

https://www.rnd.de/panorama/skisaison-in-tirol-geht-los-aber-ohne-deutsche-was-noch-anders-ist-in-corona-zeiten-FZFQF2WJYBFB3D66CEWVKQEZU4.html

Do NOT be surprised if the Season is curtailed until the February or even Cancelled altogether.. It is on the cards.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
seems to be business in usual in Cervinia re cable car capacity, just with masks

From RAI News
COVID-19. Long lines and skiers crammed into the cable car, the season in Cervinia opens up amid controversy

https://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/media/covid-19-lunghe-e-sciatori-stipati-in-funivia-si-apre-tra-le-polemiche-la-stagione-a-cervinia-1262e996-5bac-489f-b644-20bb448d4bde.html#foto-3

Google translate

COVID-19. Long lines and skiers crammed into the cable car, the season in Cervinia opens up amid controversy
"There were people at the cash desks, with a queue that we managed externally so as not to create a crowd inside. Every person who came to buy the ticket is The temperature was measured, everyone is wearing a mask "said Matteo Zanetti, president and managing director of Cervino Spa. Tweet 25 OCTOBER 2020 Two thousand entries, in an area with snow-covered slopes such as had not been seen for years at the end of October.

The controversy does not go out after the photos circulated on Facebook of long queues outside the Cervinia ticket office on the day of the inauguration of the ski season. Almost a replica of what happened last March, a few days before the lockdown, with similar images from different Italian districts. "From denunciation", "And then the schools close", "Social distancing? But what are we talking about" these are the first comments of indignant people, circulated on social networks. "There are a lot of people but - retorted Matteo Zanetti, president and managing director of Cervino spa - the situation is excellent in terms of gradual access and control. Obviously there were people at the cash desks, with a queue that we managed externally so as not to create a crowd inside. Each person who came to make the ticket was measured the temperature, everyone is wearing a mask ". With regard to the ticket office, Zanetti underlined, Cervino spa has put in all its "strength, it is as if we were in full season", thanks to "online skipasses and hotel skipasses" and "all our open ticket offices, even that "automatic".

The queues are also linked to the fact that - the company says - in the first day "many enthusiasts had to buy" the magnetic card. In addition to supporting the management of the queue there was "the collaboration of the police ". But on the lifts, further upstream," there were no queues, as well as on the slopes, where the distance is natural. "And to confirm what is claimed by the Cervino company, the former blue downhill skier Erik Seletto posted photos on Facebook and videos that make you appreciate the wide spaces available once you have passed the ticket office. "Today the smartest ones (those who bought their tickets online) - writes Seletto - will have spent a wonderful day on the snow, outdoors and without queue ".

But the controversy also concerns the situation inside the cable car cabins, where people travel at full capacity. The objective of the regulatory protocol approved by the Valle d'Aosta Region is precisely to limit the queue to boarding. The photos, in this case, reminded many of those taken in subways and buses in recent weeks. Region, "Safety at the Cervinia ski resort opening center" The regional council and the technical structures, at the end of the first day of opening of the Cervinia ski facilities, will continue with the path undertaken, aimed at perfecting the most suitable methods to guarantee the practice of ski safely. This was announced by the Valle d'Aosta Region. In recent days, the regional executive met with the top management of Cervino Spa to understand the actions planned by the company for the opening scheduled for today, Saturday 24 October, in compliance with health protocols.

In the coming days, the Region said, the discussion will continue and will involve all the Aosta Valley cableway companies with the aim of focusing on the critical issues and identifying the appropriate solutions. The junta has appreciated the commitment of Cervino spa and reiterates its priority attention to the containment of infections, but at the same time it is striving to find solutions that allow the practice of skiing, in safety, in the next winter season, aware of the economic importance and employment that ski resorts cover, also in terms of related activities. - See more at: http://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/media/covid-19-lunghe-e-sciatori-stipati-in-funivia-si-apre-tra-le-polemiche-la-stagione-a-cervinia-1262e996-5bac-489f-b644-20bb448d4bde.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have just been sent a posh brochure and covering letter (in English) from a very good hotel in the Austrian Tyrol. As well as offering excellent cancellation terms, it also offers "free Covid-19 tests on request". Not sure how useful that is under the current travel restrictions, but who knows how those might change later this season.
ski holidays
@stanton, the photo in the link is Stubai Glacier rather than Hintertux. Does not make the crowds any smaller. I have skied Stubai in October and not queued at all Puzzled
ski holidays
Presumably Brits make up a large section of this lost business.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/survey_lapland_tourism_to_lose_over_60_of_winter_business/11611160
snow report
The UK balance of payments deficit on ski holidays is going to be a lot smaller this year !
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
esaw1 wrote:

This

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-from-1-january-2021

I found out that my passport that expires on November 24th 2021 falls into the category that has months that don't count! Checked it out on that www.gov web page and a big red notification says NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL AFTER JAN 1ST 2021!! Shocked
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
stevew wrote:
esaw1 wrote:

This

I found out that my passport that expires on November 24th 2021 falls into the category that has months that don't count! Checked it out on that www.gov web page and a big red notification says NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL AFTER JAN 1ST 2021!! Shocked

This is a very good shout. My passport is valid 8 months shorter than the date of expiry. Here's the link you need to check: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport
latest report
@skimastaaah, Just checked mine, expires Dec 21, but only valid until May 21........ Shocked
snow report
Same with our passports, daughter’s expires Sept but wouldn’t be valid for the half term trip we will probably not be going on... among others. And yet have only heard about this here on snowheads... thanks @stevew
snow conditions
One way the difference between the expiry date and validity date seems to arise is when you surrender you passport early for renewal. e.g. you have foreign travel commitments that mean you can't be without it close to the expiry date, but do have an much earlier 'window' when you aren't travelling and don't need it, so you send it off for renewal early. This seems to give rise to a divergence where the passport's printed expiry date is later than the validity date i.e the latest date on which it can be used.

So if, for whatever reason, you have surrendered your passport for renewal earlier than necessary - it's definitely worth checking.
snow conditions
@LaForet, well that’s one reason but you make it sound quite complex. I think the usual reasons are 1. needing 6 months on passport to visit certain non-EU countries 2. Renewing early gave you up to 10y 9m passport for the same price as a 10 yr passport without the worry of it expiring soon Toofy Grin
latest report
@Scarlet The counterintuitive element is that - however it arises - the passport is invalid for use before the expiry date. This is separate to the usual variable condition that you have to have a passport that's valid for 'z' months after your date of travel to/from another country.

So you look at the date of travel, add the {z} to the date of travel to get {X}, go to the passport, and see that {X} is before the Passport's Expiry Date {Y} and think you're all OK. But you're not. When you check on the gov.uk website as above, it says your passport becomes invalid for travel before {X}.

This is why even regular travellers who are used to checking {X} vs {Y} above are getting caught out.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 27-10-20 10:12; edited 3 times in total
snow report
richb67 wrote:

https://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/media/covid-19-lunghe-e-sciatori-stipati-in-funivia-si-apre-tra-le-polemiche-la-stagione-a-cervinia-1262e996-5bac-489f-b644-20bb448d4bde.html#foto-3

http://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/media/covid-19-lunghe-e-sciatori-stipati-in-funivia-si-apre-tra-le-polemiche-la-stagione-a-cervinia-1262e996-5bac-489f-b644-20bb448d4bde.html

Not good at all
latest report
@skimastaaah, I 'had to' (in the slim hope of getting away this season) get my passport renewed as it ran out in may 21, took a less than a week to get the new one even though they said it could be up to 4 weeks. I used 'snappy snaps' for the photo which meant I had an online photo so the whole application was online. Once they had my old passport they approved and printed it within 3 hours. TNT took 2 working days to deliver it.
snow conditions
@pieman666, Ditto, quick and painless with the online photos.

May take a bit longer now due to brexit, but maybe fewer people getting new ones (CV19).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today's decision in Tignes will be crucial for the industry. They know the Gendarmes are coming to inspect so it will be as tight as it can be.

We were all set up.at the boat.show.amd the authorities closed it the evening before. I got the feeling it was about officials covering their backs.

I get the feeling ski resorts are desperate to open.
We have 'keep out'and 'keep Covid out scrawled on road signs in Norfolk...
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I got the feeling it was about officials covering their backs.

vs a Cheltenham Situation, where the sheer momentum of the event means there's too much political fallout to cancel it at a late stage, even when everyone knows it's epidemiologically the right thing to do. So yes, with the experience of Ischgl and many other spreading events, officials are now always going to err on the side of caution. 'Covering their backs' implies it's an unnecessary PR exercise but that seems unfair to me. If I was them, I'd rather be criticised for a cancellation than sued for doing nothing.
snow report
@pieman666, I went to the Post Office in Harrogate (nice staff, very helpful) and did the "Check and Send - Digital" application. Minutes later got confirmation from .Gov by text and email and can track progress on dedicated webpage. Sounds like you got a great result!
snow conditions
I used the post office service last year and thought it was excellent. I thought about doing it myself but decided I would rather pay for the PO service so that I knew the application was absolutely correct before it went off.
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
@Scarlet The counterintuitive element is that - however it arises - the passport is invalid for use before the expiry date. This is separate to the usual variable condition that you have to have a passport that's valid for 'z' months after your date of travel to/from another country.

So you look at the date of travel, add the {z} to the date of travel to get {X}, go to the passport, and see that {X} is before the Passport's Expiry Date {Y} and think you're all OK. But you're not. When you check on the gov.uk website as above, it says your passport becomes invalid for travel before {X}.

This is why even regular travellers who are used to checking {X} vs {Y} above are getting caught out.

It's all completely stupid:
You look at your passport which says it expires in say 7 months, but as you are planning a trip in 2 months and need 6 months validity you send it in for renewal. You get back a passport which says it's good for 10 yrs and 6 months (the renewal faff having taken let's say a month), but actually that passport is only good for travel for 9 years and 6 months, so you'll have to send it in for renewal a full year before expiry next time. Keep that going for a few decades and before you know it your sending it for renewal before you even receive it!
snow report
To those complaining about passport renewals, it is worth remembering that this is something the UK actually does well compared to many other European countries. I have the early expiry issue too, so that was obviously a bit of a balls up (govt have probably been on shaky ground with that for years), but at least my last two renewals have taken less than a week to get back and now you can do it online. In Germany, you may have to turn up in person at a particular local office (not a central passport office – it may not be local to you!), and I think something similar happens in Italy. My bf has to travel to Vienna tomorrow (4.5hr) to complete a form for a passport application in front of an official. It's unlikely they'll process it straight away, so he'll probably have to go again to collect it in some months time rolling eyes unless they can be persuaded to use the post...
ski holidays
@Scarlet, You got one of those quality EU ones yet?
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, That's Harrogate for you - all nice people in our town! wink
latest report
@Markymark29, no, not me, but we’re almost halfway there! I have to submit to bureaucratic patriarchy wink and then wait some years before I can have one myself.
latest report
@Scarlet, yep and I had a strange passport incident on entering the UK. I got to the front of the queue and I couldn't remember what passport biometric was sometimes dodgy, so I had all my "live" passports. Nudge nudge say no more.

The border lady said where is your family.

I said I'm travelling alone.

She looked at all my UK passports then looked up..

I said:----- Don't ask Happy

The "secondary security" had a giggle because they knew the score.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@skimastaaah, That's Harrogate for you - all nice people in our town! wink

I was born in and brought up in Harrogate Very Happy
snow report
"It's all completely stupid:
You look at your passport which says it expires in say 7 months, but as you are planning a trip in 2 months and need 6 months validity you send it in for renewal. You get back a passport which says it's good for 10 yrs and 6 months (the renewal faff having taken let's say a month), but actually that passport is only good for travel for 9 years and 6 months, so you'll have to send it in for renewal a full year before expiry next time. Keep that going for a few decades and before you know it your sending it for renewal before you even receive it!"

I couldn't agree more. What half-baked 5h1te this is! Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy