Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Noises that lockdowns would be imposed in every future school holiday...(paywall but the top bit is clear enough)
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/call-for-circuit-breaker-lockdowns-during-every-school-holiday-c7ncqfkdg?wgu=270525_73669_16028392793206_5d5ad74281&wgexpiry=1610615279&utm_source=planit&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=30828
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which won’t happen as it clearly states that the recommendation is coming from scientific advisors
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski_free wrote:
... have now moved our Jan trip to end of March, by which time hopefully quick tests will be widely available and a decent proportion of vulnerable people will have been vaccinated. ...

Quick tests, maybe. But vaccinations no chance.

I think this is here for the long term. and society as a whole will need to adapt. The optimistic view is that a vaccine trial works (there is no guarantee that one will), so a vaccine starts to become available to some by around middle-late 2021, and to most people in developed countries by late 2021. More likely might be that, as with flu, the virus continually mutates; so we will need an annual autumn vaccination to reduce (but not eliminate) risk for the most vulnerable, and a degree of partial immmunity / further treatment discoveries to reduce the effects for everyone else.

And some forrm of lockdown in every school holiday makes a lot of sense for virus control, perhaps combined with 2-week half term breaks so that school years become 6 x 6-week terms, with 5 x 2-week breaks and still a 6-week summer break.

But the hospitality / holiday / travel industries may have to go through a painful period of retrenchment / reconstruction.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ecureuil wrote:
ski_free wrote:
... have now moved our Jan trip to end of March, by which time hopefully quick tests will be widely available and a decent proportion of vulnerable people will have been vaccinated. ...

Quick tests, maybe. But vaccinations no chance.

I think this is here for the long term. and society as a whole will need to adapt. The optimistic view is that a vaccine trial works (there is no guarantee that one will), so a vaccine starts to become available to some by around middle-late 2021, and to most people in developed countries by late 2021. More likely might be that, as with flu, the virus continually mutates; so we will need an annual autumn vaccination to reduce (but not eliminate) risk for the most vulnerable, and a degree of partial immmunity / further treatment discoveries to reduce the effects for everyone else.

And some forrm of lockdown in every school holiday makes a lot of sense for virus control, perhaps combined with 2-week half term breaks so that school years become 6 x 6-week terms, with 5 x 2-week breaks and still a 6-week summer break.

But the hospitality / holiday / travel industries may have to go through a painful period of retrenchment / destruction.
Sadly I fixed the very last word for you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The hospitality, holiday and travel industries will collapse if they can't operate for an entire season. They pay for people's mortgages.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ecureuil wrote:
ski_free wrote:
... have now moved our Jan trip to end of March, by which time hopefully quick tests will be widely available and a decent proportion of vulnerable people will have been vaccinated. ...

Quick tests, maybe. But vaccinations no chance.

I think this is here for the long term. and society as a whole will need to adapt. The optimistic view is that a vaccine trial works (there is no guarantee that one will), so a vaccine starts to become available to some by around middle-late 2021, and to most people in developed countries by late 2021. More likely might be that, as with flu, the virus continually mutates; so we will need an annual autumn vaccination to reduce (but not eliminate) risk for the most vulnerable, and a degree of partial immmunity / further treatment discoveries to reduce the effects for everyone else.

And some forrm of lockdown in every school holiday makes a lot of sense for virus control, perhaps combined with 2-week half term breaks so that school years become 6 x 6-week terms, with 5 x 2-week breaks and still a 6-week summer break.

But the hospitality / holiday / travel industries may have to go through a painful period of retrenchment / reconstruction.


There are currently about 180 COVID19 vaccines in development, about 38 of which are currently undergoing human trials and further seven of these are in phase three trials. Most of the vaccines in phase three trials are scheduled to be concluded in the next two months. Phase two results for most of these vaccines have been very promising. Regulators are already reviewing interim data.
The FDA (US Regulator) requires a vaccine to have an efficiency of above 50% to be approved (along with safety considerations of course). Most of the vaccines in phase three are above this

As an example AZN (Oxford vaccine) has the capacity to produce 400m doses of its vaccine in 2020 and more than 2bn in 2021.

The UK The has already ordered about 400m doses from various manufacturers. EU and US have also purchased vast quantities from various manufacturers.

It is likely a vaccine is approved in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021. Maybe it will have low efficiency (50-70%), but later vaccines may improve upon this.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There are currently about 180 COVID19 vaccines in development, about 38 of which are currently undergoing human trials and further seven of these are in phase three trials. Most of the vaccines in phase three trials are scheduled to be concluded in the next two months. Phase two results for most of these vaccines have been very promising. Regulators are already reviewing interim data.
The FDA (US Regulator) requires a vaccine to have an efficiency of above 50% to be approved (along with safety considerations of course). Most of the vaccines in phase three are above this

As an example AZN (Oxford vaccine) has the capacity to produce 400m doses of its vaccine in 2020 and more than 2bn in 2021.

The UK The has already ordered about 400m doses from various manufacturers. EU and US have also purchased vast quantities from various manufacturers.

It is likely a vaccine is approved in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021. Maybe it will have low efficiency (50-70%), but later vaccines may improve upon this.


It's mid October already. Chances of a vaccine being approved and given to enough people to make any meaningful difference by the end of March is slim to none I would think
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp wrote:
ecureuil wrote:
ski_free wrote:
... have now moved our Jan trip to end of March, by which time hopefully quick tests will be widely available and a decent proportion of vulnerable people will have been vaccinated. ...

Quick tests, maybe. But vaccinations no chance.

I think this is here for the long term. and society as a whole will need to adapt. The optimistic view is that a vaccine trial works (there is no guarantee that one will), so a vaccine starts to become available to some by around middle-late 2021, and to most people in developed countries by late 2021. More likely might be that, as with flu, the virus continually mutates; so we will need an annual autumn vaccination to reduce (but not eliminate) risk for the most vulnerable, and a degree of partial immmunity / further treatment discoveries to reduce the effects for everyone else.

And some forrm of lockdown in every school holiday makes a lot of sense for virus control, perhaps combined with 2-week half term breaks so that school years become 6 x 6-week terms, with 5 x 2-week breaks and still a 6-week summer break.

But the hospitality / holiday / travel industries may have to go through a painful period of retrenchment / destruction.
Sadly I fixed the very last word for you.


Nicely corrected and true. the economic tsunami on its way is going to make COVID look tame. We need to get on with things.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know someone who got a job this week in the UK health service to deliver the vaccine, start date 1st December for training expected start date rolling out 14th December 2020. Go figure.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The season as normal for anyone from the UK. No.

Will people from the UK be able to ski? Yes.

Unfortunately, there will be some people who won't be able to have a trip. Those who are high risk. Those who can't isolate/WFH on return to the UK. But for others, if done sensibly a trip is still very much on the cards.
Resorts will be open. And the only thing stopping people who can go from the UK will be if a quarantine on arrival is put in place.

We intend to go. End of Jan. 4 of us, in a car, via the tunnel. Self catered. Rented AirBnB house with a cancellation policy allowing a full refund up to the week before. Going to a resort that can be done without touching a gondola.
We can all work from home upon return but a couple of our usual group can't (one being a Doctor) so they can't come unless the 14 day isolation ends. But I can't see that happening.

Plenty of people will say it's reckless, shouldn't be travelling etc. However it's all risk management. People are playing competitive sport in the UK, travelling and "stay vacationing". There has to be a balance between taking precautions and trying to continue "life". Between protecting those that are vulnerable and supporting industries and economies.

As far as I'm concerned, spending a week with 4 other people, outside for 10 hours a day socially distanced, whilst wearing masks is less risky than a trip to Tesco......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Fridge03, can’t travel from most places in Wales if not essential, so hope you mates aren’t Welsh.

Are all four of you from the same household ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulo wrote:
Quote:

There are currently about 180 COVID19 vaccines in development, about 38 of which are currently undergoing human trials and further seven of these are in phase three trials. Most of the vaccines in phase three trials are scheduled to be concluded in the next two months. Phase two results for most of these vaccines have been very promising. Regulators are already reviewing interim data.
The FDA (US Regulator) requires a vaccine to have an efficiency of above 50% to be approved (along with safety considerations of course). Most of the vaccines in phase three are above this

As an example AZN (Oxford vaccine) has the capacity to produce 400m doses of its vaccine in 2020 and more than 2bn in 2021.

The UK The has already ordered about 400m doses from various manufacturers. EU and US have also purchased vast quantities from various manufacturers.

It is likely a vaccine is approved in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021. Maybe it will have low efficiency (50-70%), but later vaccines may improve upon this.


It's mid October already. Chances of a vaccine being approved and given to enough people to make any meaningful difference by the end of March is slim to none I would think


Despite recent hitches, approval in December/January is still in play.

Prior to each flu season about 14m people in the UK are vaccinated (over the course of ~3 months), and that's without turning leisure centres into vaccines into vaccine centres. So with an approval in that time frame we could well observe most vulnerable people vaccinated by the time Easter comes around.

Good resource for Vaccines overview:
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-coronavirus-drug-vaccine-status
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fridge03 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, spending a week with 4 other people, outside for 10 hours a day socially distanced, whilst wearing masks is less risky than a trip to Tesco......

"4 other people" in a car for how many hours? Sharing lodging...

Wait, are the 4 all from the same household?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, spending a week with 4 other people, outside for 10 hours a day socially distanced, whilst wearing masks is less risky than a trip to Tesco......

"4 other people" in a car for how many hours? Sharing lodging...

Wait, are the 4 all from the same household?


Yawn, with that attitude you would never step outside the door. Ever.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Fridge03, Completely agree - risk management!
We will be driving via Tunnel.
Skiing in January when resorts are at their quietest.
Never self catered (I'm such a catered chalet girl) - but could just about cope with it!
However, we certainly wont book anything till fairly last minute - hoping / expecting there to be some last minute bargains(?)
Self isolating on return no problem - already done it once this year!
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller wrote:
abc wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, spending a week with 4 other people, outside for 10 hours a day socially distanced, whilst wearing masks is less risky than a trip to Tesco......

"4 other people" in a car for how many hours? Sharing lodging...

Wait, are the 4 all from the same household?


Yawn, with that attitude you would never step outside the door. Ever.

With the attitude that the rules don't apply to you, that's how you get a 2nd wave of outbreaks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
abc wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, spending a week with 4 other people, outside for 10 hours a day socially distanced, whilst wearing masks is less risky than a trip to Tesco......

"4 other people" in a car for how many hours? Sharing lodging...

Wait, are the 4 all from the same household?


Yawn, with that attitude you would never step outside the door. Ever.

With the attitude that the rules don't apply to you, that's how you get a 2nd wave of outbreaks!


7 times more dying of seasonal flu in the UK than COVID at present. Focus on the death rates not the positives, there won't be a 2nd wave.

I've watched the glorious headlines re the BLM marches, the 500k on the beaches on the south coast, the pubs re opening, the summer of staycations etc leading to huge death rates and yet the UK death rate remains very, very low.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller wrote:
abc wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
abc wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, spending a week with 4 other people, outside for 10 hours a day socially distanced, whilst wearing masks is less risky than a trip to Tesco......

"4 other people" in a car for how many hours? Sharing lodging...

Wait, are the 4 all from the same household?


Yawn, with that attitude you would never step outside the door. Ever.

With the attitude that the rules don't apply to you, that's how you get a 2nd wave of outbreaks!


7 times more dying of seasonal flu in the UK than COVID at present. Focus on the death rates not the positives, there won't be a 2nd wave.



Care to back up those numbers with credible evidence? Else we can presume you just pulled out of your favoured orifice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops wrote:
@Fridge03, can’t travel from most places in Wales if not essential, so hope you mates aren’t Welsh.

Are all four of you from the same household ?


abc wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
abc wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, spending a week with 4 other people, outside for 10 hours a day socially distanced, whilst wearing masks is less risky than a trip to Tesco......

"4 other people" in a car for how many hours? Sharing lodging...

Wait, are the 4 all from the same household?


Yawn, with that attitude you would never step outside the door. Ever.

With the attitude that the rules don't apply to you, that's how you get a 2nd wave of outbreaks!


Nope. We aren't.

Tell me where we can't do that? And we aren't in Wales.

If that situation changes, obviously we will follow any new guidance.

There has got to be a balance. The major rise in cases wasn't down to people having a sensible, social distanced pint or even people going abroad. I wonder what major change happened in September.....oh yeah. Thousands of super-spreaders going back to school. Thousands of students going to live in halls of residence.
The rise was inevitable. It has nothing to due to winter coming. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gone a winter without catching a cold/flu and that was without social distancing, masks and sanitiser on everything.

I'm not a CV19 denier. I'm very aware of it and have taken sensible precautions since March to protect myself and my family and friends. But I'm also in the position that I have no underlying health conditions. So I have been sensible and followed guidance but also tried to carry on as much as normal.
It's all about balance and assessing your own situation. For the next 2 months, my partner and I will be completely isolating as we are supporting a close family member through radiotherapy. Once we are past that stage, we will be heading back to "normal".

These are our choices. Just as others will make their own. If you want to stay locked up in your house, or if you have no choice due to health then I feel for you, but doesn't mean that anyone else has to.


Oh and I wonder how many of the "you are being irresponsible" brigade will be seeing more than 5 other members of their family at Christmas...because traditions.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fridge03, you haven't answered the question if those 4 you're driving down together are from the same household. And if not from the same household, are they ALL going to be in full isolation 2 weeks prior to the drive down?

Yes, if they ARE (from same household or full isolation for 2 weeks prior, including NOT going to Tesco, which in your opinion is more risky), then your trip is indeed "less risky than a trip to Tesco"!

How's that for "balance" and "sensible"?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
@Fridge03, you haven't answered the question if those 4 you're driving down together are from the same household. And if not from the same household, are they ALL going to be in full isolation 2 weeks prior to the drive down?

Yes, if they ARE (from same household or full isolation for 2 weeks prior, including NOT going to Tesco, which in your opinion is more risky), then your trip is indeed "less risky than a trip to Tesco"!

How's that for "balance" and "sensible"?


Pretty certain the phrase "nope, we aren't" should have covered it. But to clarify. Yes we are driving down together, and no we aren't from the same household.
There is no requirement for anyone to be in full isolation for 2 weeks. A test is all that is required. Positive means, they can't come.

All clear, we hop in a car together. Can't get out the car in the tunnel anyway. Stop at aires on the way own which often have "outdoor" toilets. Take all food and drink with us for a week. Get into our own, clean accommodation. All our own gear. Spend 6 days outdoors, with masks on, enjoying much needed physical exercise and benefiting our mental health. Repeat for the journey home.


How many times have you left the house since March? Serious question.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fridge03 wrote:

How many times have you left the house since March? Serious question.

Several. Have to see doctors for condition that can't wait. And I self-isolate for 2 weeks after each such incidence.

Other than that, NEVER indoors for more than 15 minutes with others except after 2 weeks of no other indoor time. I also expect those I share indoor space without mask to do the same.

(There're several of my good friends who couldn't do the self-isolation due to various practical reason. I meet them outside, 6' apart. NOT indoors for hours without mask)

As for testing, it should be two test some days (1 week?) apart. Not just 1 test. (because you may still be incubating but not yet full blown infected to the point of testing positive) That's the science. But since it's hard to achieve, it's not too strongly recommended.


Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 16-10-20 17:28; edited 6 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s not looking good for British visitors to the Alps this year which is a real shame. I can fully understand many catered operators not booking accommodation this year and if we had to pay season rent up front we would be in the same boat.
We’re lucky that we’re very small, just one four person chalet and we are the staff! So we are going ahead with this season but focusing our efforts on advertising to the Swiss domestic market.
If the situation changes and people can get here from the UK then we’ll be ready for last minute bookings when they come.
Got to stay positive however hard it may be!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Staying positive, we have cancelled a long term booking of three weeks to France. We have transferred the booking to 2022. There are too many potential spanner’s in the works for January re Covid and Brexit . However the chalet owner has vacancies and if we can go in January we will re book AND keep our booking for following season. We fully acknowledge the dreadful effect this will have on retailers, resort employees, cleaners; you name it!!
It really is a tragic situation. Frankly, I’m oldish and vulnerable, but feel we’re being played by politicians
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always wondered how millions of people were taken in by a certain furher
Burning books like end of free speech
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A friend of mine has just tested positive (the first person I've actually known). 40, with asthma....not a single symptom
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

How many times have you left the house since March? Serious question.

Several. Have to see doctors for condition that can't wait. And I self-isolate for 2 weeks after each such incidence.

Other than that, NEVER indoors for more than 15 minutes with others except after 2 weeks of no other indoor time. I also expect those I share indoor space without mask to do the same.

(There're several of my good friends who couldn't do the self-isolation due to various practical reason. I meet them outside, 6' apart. NOT indoors for hours without mask)

As for testing, it should be two test some days (1 week?) apart. Not just 1 test. (because you may still be incubating but not yet full blown infected to the point of testing positive) That's the science. But since it's hard to achieve, it's not too strongly recommended.


And that is fair enough. Without sounding rude, sounds like you have an underlying health which completely justifies what you have been doing. If I’m wrong then I apologise.

I’m fortunate enough to be not at risk, able to work from home prior and after any trip, as ate the people around me. That’s not bragging or anything. It’s just everyone has a different situation through all this.

And in my opinion, it’s important for people in my category to (whilst taking every precaution possible) continue to spend money, support businesses, keep people in work and food on plates.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fridge03 wrote:
And that is fair enough. Without sounding rude, sounds like you have an underlying health which completely justifies what you have been doing. If I’m wrong then I apologise.

I’m fortunate enough to be not at risk, able to work from home prior and after any trip, as ate the people around me. That’s not bragging or anything. It’s just everyone has a different situation through all this.

And in my opinion, it’s important for people in my category to (whilst taking every precaution possible) continue to spend money, support businesses, keep people in work and food on plates.
Worth stating the obvious: you might well be in a low risk category for getting ill, but you are just as capable of getting infected and passing on that infection (perhaps to someone in a high risk category) as all other adults.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fridge03 wrote:

And that is fair enough. Without sounding rude, sounds like you have an underlying health which completely justifies what you have been doing.

Yes and no.

I have no underlying health condition that makes me at elevated risk. But I'm responsible for taking care of my 83 year old Mom, who HAS an underlying condition that puts her on elevated risk. So if I don't want to kill her, I either 1) never to share indoor space with her, which is difficult to do; 2) put myself in the same isolation routine as required by HER condition. The latter is what I do.

Quote:
And in my opinion, it’s important for people in my category to (whilst taking every precaution possible) continue to spend money, support businesses, keep people in work and food on plates.

I spend money much as before. Bought a bunch of sporting equipment. I just don't travel in a manner that puts me in risky situation. (And lately bought a bunch of camping equipment so I can stay as isolated while still travel).

My last travel was organized with mates. But each household drove in separate cars! (All contacts are outdoors, 6' apart)

Come winter, I have plans to ski. Will be buying season pass too. But I won't carpool, nor share lodging.

I take the "every precaution possible" a bit more literally than others. I somehow manage to do as much as I wish to do, without feeling too restrictive of my activities.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:

Worth stating the obvious: you might well be in a low risk category for getting ill, but you are just as capable of getting infected and passing on that infection (perhaps to someone in a high risk category) as all other adults.

Yep. As are we all. Same as if I spend 30-45 mins in a supermarket, pick it up, and go in the next week. Or, people getting their hair cut. Or visiting dentists. Or pretty much every aspect of normal life.

That’s why we will isolate and test when we return. Which is more than the 1000s of people packing into the bars across the country, all kicking out at 10pm.....

With the “checks” and isolation required for travelling now (as opposed to when the outbreak first started) and the reduced travel across Europe full stop, those sensibly going away, be it on a ski trip, a winter break, visiting family for Christmas will not cause a peak or “wave” of infection.

What has put us back into the situation we are now in was the quite frankly ridiculous decision to allow Universities to go back (and especially into halls of residence) when technology allows lectures to be delivered electronically (I accept there will be exceptions to this with certain courses/aspects etc) combined with millions of super-spreaders aka children going back to school.

abc wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

And that is fair enough. Without sounding rude, sounds like you have an underlying health which completely justifies what you have been doing.

Yes and no.

I have no underlying health condition that makes me at elevated risk. But I'm responsible for taking care of my 83 year old Mom, who HAS an underlying condition that puts her on elevated risk. So if I don't want to kill her, I either 1) never to share indoor space with her, which is difficult to do; 2) put myself in the same isolation routine as required by HER condition. The latter is what I do.

Quote:
And in my opinion, it’s important for people in my category to (whilst taking every precaution possible) continue to spend money, support businesses, keep people in work and food on plates.

I spend money much as before. Bought a bunch of sporting equipment. I just don't travel in a manner that puts me in risky situation. (And lately bought a bunch of camping equipment so I can stay as isolated while still travel).

My last travel was organized with mates. But each household drove in separate cars! (All contacts are outdoors, 6' apart)

Come winter, I have plans to ski. Will be buying season pass too. But I won't carpool, nor share lodging


That’s fair. Wasn’t implying you weren’t spending money or anything like that.
But you have a plan, that works for you. It’s different to my plan. And it’s different to the next persons. And everything will be different to stantons when he arrives.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Fridge03 wrote:
Yep. As are we all. Same as if I spend 30-45 mins in a supermarket, pick it up, and go in the next week. Or, people getting their hair cut. Or visiting dentists. Or pretty much every aspect of normal life.

That’s why we will isolate and test when we return. Which is more than the 1000s of people packing into the bars across the country, all kicking out at 10pm.....

With the “checks” and isolation required for travelling now (as opposed to when the outbreak first started) and the reduced travel across Europe full stop, those sensibly going away, be it on a ski trip, a winter break, visiting family for Christmas will not cause a peak or “wave” of infection.

What has put us back into the situation we are now in was the quite frankly ridiculous decision to allow Universities to go back (and especially into halls of residence) when technology allows lectures to be delivered electronically (I accept there will be exceptions to this with certain courses/aspects etc) combined with millions of super-spreaders aka children going back to school.
Sure, agree with all that, and I also have plans to go skiing in December if restrictions allow, with due precautions for limiting my social contacts as far as is sensible. But I thought it helpful to restate that Covid precautions are as important for protecting other people than they are for protecting ourselves, regardless of our perceived risk levels.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fridge03, what are you planning to do about insurance? It's a bit awkward if FCDO are still advising against travel...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Sure, agree with all that, and I also have plans to go skiing in December if restrictions allow, with due precautions for limiting my social contacts as far as is sensible. But I thought it helpful to restate that Covid precautions are as important for protecting other people than they are for protecting ourselves, regardless of our perceived risk levels.


+1

One person's cough is another's death.

Now is not the time for individualism.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:
Yep. As are we all. Same as if I spend 30-45 mins in a supermarket, pick it up, and go in the next week. Or, people getting their hair cut. Or visiting dentists. Or pretty much every aspect of normal life.

That’s why we will isolate and test when we return. Which is more than the 1000s of people packing into the bars across the country, all kicking out at 10pm.....

With the “checks” and isolation required for travelling now (as opposed to when the outbreak first started) and the reduced travel across Europe full stop, those sensibly going away, be it on a ski trip, a winter break, visiting family for Christmas will not cause a peak or “wave” of infection.

What has put us back into the situation we are now in was the quite frankly ridiculous decision to allow Universities to go back (and especially into halls of residence) when technology allows lectures to be delivered electronically (I accept there will be exceptions to this with certain courses/aspects etc) combined with millions of super-spreaders aka children going back to school.
Sure, agree with all that, and I also have plans to go skiing in December if restrictions allow, with due precautions for limiting my social contacts as far as is sensible. But I thought it helpful to restate that Covid precautions are as important for protecting other people than they are for protecting ourselves, regardless of our perceived risk levels.


Fully agree.
And it is the responsibility of those who aren’t high risk, to take precautions to limit the chance of infection to those who are. Equally, those who are high risk should be, as unfortunate as it is doing everything they can to protect themselves until a vaccine is available.

If I have an allergy to nuts that could kill me. I’m not going to go on a tour of the KP factory any time soon. Ok, CV19 isn’t obviously as specific as that example but it’s the same principle.

I mentioned a few posts up, that the mother in law is starting radiotherapy next month. She hasn’t left her house in 2 months and won’t until well after Christmas and into the new year. She’s protecting herself first and foremost on top of the precautions the immediate family (and support bubble) are taking.

What strikes me is the demolition job happening to our economy, physical and mental health and future for the protection of what is a very small percentage of the population. I don’t mean that in a callous way or think that they don’t matter. Of course they do. But it’s a delicate balancing act between protection and sustainability.

I appreciate there are very contrasting views from, lock everything down to heard immunity and folks like myself who I consider to be in somewhere floating around the middle.

Anyway....skiing. Yep. Can’t wait.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ChrisWo wrote:
@Fridge03, what are you planning to do about insurance? It's a bit awkward if FCDO are still advising against travel...


Insurers are available that cover for when FCDO advise against all but essential travel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Fridge03
Fridge03 wrote:
...
abc wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
abc wrote:

"4 other people" in a car for how many hours? Sharing lodging...

Wait, are the 4 all from the same household?
Nope. We aren't.

Tell me where we can't do that? And we aren't in Wales.

If that situation changes, obviously we will follow any new guidance.


If you are in England:
Government guidance for Medium risk areas wrote:
Car sharing

It is difficult to socially distance during car journeys. You should avoid sharing a car with someone from outside your household or your support bubble unless you can practise social distancing. ...

Have I got this right? You are not prepared to follow the guidance currrently in place, but expect us to believe you will follow any new guidance issued?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ecureuil. Try posting the whole section. Rather than just a bit which you think makes a good point.

It’s not prohibited. Guidelines will be followed.

Car sharing
It is difficult to socially distance during car journeys. You should avoid sharing a car with someone from outside your household or your support bubble unless you can practise social distancing. You can reduce the risk of transmission by:

opening windows for ventilation
travelling side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow
facing away from each other
considering seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle
cleaning your car between journeys using standard cleaning products - make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
asking the driver and passengers to wear a face covering


4 people. All with negative CV19 tests. Who have isolated before hand.

Safer than going on public transport. Wouldn't you agree?

And no, I don’t expect anything from anyone on an online forum. I couldn’t care less to be honest about what you expect.
It’s not personal. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fridge03 wrote:
Insurers are available that cover for when FCDO advise against all but essential travel.


Yeah, that's true...I haven't managed to find one that looks particularly good yet (so genuinely, if you have I'd love to know who!). Though to be fair YMMV...I want one that covers off piste and that seems to be a bit of a blind spot at the moment.


Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 16-10-20 23:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Insurers are available that cover for when FCDO advise against all but essential travel


Which insurers? The only one I came across is battleface, but it looked they don’t cover snowsports?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fridge03 wrote:

4 people. All with negative CV19 tests. Who have isolated before hand.

Safer than going on public transport. Wouldn't you agree?

I don't mean this as a moral judgement. But on the practicality side, what's your plan if ONE of the 4 had situation that prevents them from isolation prior to the long car journey? (even with a negative test, there's still a need to isolate need either before or following the test to cover the typical incubation period). Say, they have an emergency dental work done?

Or, if one of the 4 tested positive? Obviously, that one can't go on the trip. But will the other 3 go on as planned?

The more people you have in the "pod", the more chance something could happen to one of them to break the safety protocol, through no fault of their own.
ski holidays



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy