Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today the ECDC downgraded Austria to Red

https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/COVID-19.html#global-overview-tab

Already Front Page News here

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/corona-ampel-eu-stellt-oesterreich-auf-rot/449955628
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stanton, downgraded??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alan1974 please don’t quote him as lots of people (inc me!) have him on ignore but we still see quoted posts!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Skimum1, Amen..... Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@wnhall, they flew into Rome.
My wife was chatting to them some more and it turns out that, whilst the results came back speedily, they had to wait 2hrs to be tested. Which may have a bearing on any pre-booked airport transfers to your final destination. Though I’m guessing that Rome would have higher passenger numbers to organise for testing and the programme is still in the ‘teething problem’ stage, so hopefully wait times will be shorter in the future and shorter still at smaller airports.
We were discussing it the other night and wondered what the policy would be for one positive test. Everyone within Xno. of seats or Yno. of metres also told to quarantine? The whole flight? And with Innsbruck airport often used for getting to Italian ski areas, will the buses get stopped at the border to be tested? Will it be done at Innsbruck?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The place you really wouldn't want to be right now is the Netherlands. Almost 50% more cases per 100k than the UK. I can't imagine the Dutch will be doing any skiing this winter. Landgraaf will be very crowded.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dode, "We were discussing it the other night and wondered what the policy would be for one positive test. Everyone within Xno. of seats or Yno. of metres also told to quarantine? The whole flight?"

That looks to be a serious issue they may not be able to mitigate. Isn't that fundamentally a problem with track and trace too? In that in a fairly densely occupied area it would very quickly amount to all the people being advised to isolate, irrespective of their personal covid status. Certainly it's unclear how it could be logically handled.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowdave wrote:
The place you really wouldn't want to be right now is the Netherlands. Almost 50% more cases per 100k than the UK. I can't imagine the Dutch will be doing any skiing this winter. Landgraaf will be very crowded.

Jeeessss just read up on that after you posted that!

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, they're really getting stuck into the herd immunity route aren't they.

Numbers should be down by Christmas and they can get on with normality Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, yup, it looks pretty awful.

NL is also in a worse position than the UK in that (to my knowledge) it has no natural skiing at all, so is totally dependent on other countries allowing its population to enter. At least we have Scotland, and a few opportunities in Northern England as well as Welsh touring.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dode wrote:
@wnhall, they flew into Rome.
My wife was chatting to them some more and it turns out that, whilst the results came back speedily, they had to wait 2hrs to be tested. Which may have a bearing on any pre-booked airport transfers to your final destination. Though I’m guessing that Rome would have higher passenger numbers to organise for testing and the programme is still in the ‘teething problem’ stage, so hopefully wait times will be shorter in the future and shorter still at smaller airports.
We were discussing it the other night and wondered what the policy would be for one positive test. Everyone within Xno. of seats or Yno. of metres also told to quarantine? The whole flight? And with Innsbruck airport often used for getting to Italian ski areas, will the buses get stopped at the border to be tested? Will it be done at Innsbruck?

Ahh thanks
Yea I think the testing thing is a great idea .......Maybe more sensible for US to be insisting on it before you board....as Crazy an idea as that may seem
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
An interesting development I've noticed in some recent TO adverts (not skiing) is for them to advertise 'Full Travel Insurance Cover' as part of the package. Presumably eliminating all the uncertainty over EHIC and Covid exclusions on conventional travel insurance. If they did this for ski packages as well, then at a stroke, the TOs would neutralise the threat from DIY holidays, at least in terms of health and cancellation cover, if not arrival/return quarantines.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK so now I really am confused! The official EU website https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/AUT/2002 is very clear that there are no restrictions on visitors entering Austria from the UK (updated 12/10/20). Further the relevant sections of https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20011194 translated by google are:

(5) Persons who enter Austria from one of the countries listed in Annex A1 and who have their place of residence or habitual abode in Austria or in one of these countries can enter Austria without restriction. (UK is definitely listed here)

(6) The persons covered by Paragraph 5 must provide credible evidence that they have not been in any country other than Austria or the countries listed in Annex A1 in the last 10 days.

So where did the idea that this had changed on Monday 12 October come from? Puzzled Looks like St Anton on 11 December is back on Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You have to quarantine for 2 weeks on return .... maybe that's what the 12th was about
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, look on the travel to austria thread. clarky999 has posted about it.

@wnhall, no - quarantine on return has been in place since August
snow report
This is why English People should be 100% refused entry into the EU while the pandemic is sweeping European Ski Countries ..

Shocked Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/PJRcCZx3-QI
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
This is why English People should be 100% refused entry into the EU while the pandemic is sweeping European Ski Countries ..

Shocked Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/PJRcCZx3-QI

imagine having that mob on your flight or in your hotel Skullie
latest report
Every country has idiots . there is a reason that the Netherlands are in the mess they are in and it isn't because everyone is following all guidelines
snow conditions
Currently booked for Switzerland in Feb, but I'm clinging onto the hope that there won't be the 10 day entry quarantine, followed by a 14 day one on getting back to the UK. Most of the costs can be recovered if its a no-go, but I'll need to decide by mid-Dec. I've even taken to investigating routes home through Germany by car if France remains 'on the naughty step', but that's assuming Switzerland gets off it.

Looking at alternative countries, Sweden / Finland is looking promising (this week), especially with Sweden's 'relaxed' way of dealing with virus (so far). But, I'd rather not write off the costs of the MagicPass (even if it was dirt cheap), and remain optimistic that all the EU countries (in conjunction with their strange, belligerent neighbour - yes, GB) can find a viable way to ensure that this winter's season (and beyond) can be 'saved', and with it the potential future of the resorts that we are accustomed to visiting. 2 very bad years due to COVID restrictions, could be the end of some.

As I should be, I will remain 'glass half full' and deal with what happens when the time comes around. Having lost 2 months of work to the virus, I'm not quite as gung ho as some, but also not living in fear of it. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:

I'm driving to Solden in 7 weeks and no Dutch borders can stop me!!! Mad Mad Mad
latest report
More woes Sad

"..Ryanair is to axe more than one in three of its flight routes this winter due to low demand amid coronavirus travel restrictions across Europe.

The budget airline announced that it will only maintain up to 65% of its route network between November and March..."

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/18796429.ryanair-cuts-third-routes-winter/#:~:text=Ryanair%20is%20to%20axe%20more,network%20between%20November%20and%20March.
latest report
As long as BA keeps it's head above the water I'm OK! They've already rescheduled my Gatwick flights to Heathrow
snow conditions
Media reports that Italy is about to join the list of countries that will require a quarantine when you return to the UK.
snow conditions
My BA flight Turin has changed location and times multiple times now
due to fly on the 30th now
snow report
My 'Weardale Ski Club' 2020/21 Season Lift Pass has arrived and all that is now required is for a good dump of Snow on the Pennine Hills. No Flights, Trains or B&B... Just a 3 hour drive up there, get a day of Skiing in and then be home again by 8 pm on the same day. snowHead

http://www.skiweardale.com/
snow report
I suspect the UK is a bigger risk of closure than Italy is .....

looks like we will be in lockdown within the next 3 weeks given the numbers
ski holidays
Where is stantit when you want him to see something ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-54551673

There are people that act foolishly everywhere, doesn't mean we should tar everybody with the same brush. Peace out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed, idiots are ubiquitous.

We cancelled our Christmas skiing plans back in September (had booked for the entire extended family to come together), and have now moved our Jan trip to end of March, by which time hopefully quick tests will be widely available and a decent proportion of vulnerable people will have been vaccinated.

So cautiously optimistic for some late season skiing.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
@Weathercam, yup, it looks pretty awful.

NL is also in a worse position than the UK in that (to my knowledge) it has no natural skiing at all, so is totally dependent on other countries allowing its population to enter. At least we have Scotland, and a few opportunities in Northern England as well as Welsh touring.

And why do you think you'll be allowed into Scotland, Wales, or Northern England? snowHead
ski holidays
Italy has just been put on the Quarantine list
snow conditions
Just had an email from Ski Famille cancelling our holiday from 30th Jan.

Gutted.
latest report
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, Sad
snow conditions
Balance wasn’t due until end of November so seems weird. And why refer to “start of our season”?! Insurance issue?

“I am writing to you regarding the ski holiday you have kindly booked with us for the week of 30th January 2021.

Unfortunately, due to the current constraints the UK and France are experiencing with the increases in Covid-19 cases, we are left with no choice but to cancel the start of our ski season.

We would therefore wish to offer you one of two options:

You may transfer your booking to the same week next season (21/22) and as a gesture, we would be pleased to offer your 21/22 ski holiday at no extra cost. We simply roll over your deposit and you settle the balance next year.

If however, you would prefer to start again for next season with our new prices, we will of course return your deposits in full.“
ski holidays
In reference to the OP.
We are looking very much like the answer will be 'No'
snow report
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, It's what the chalet company we were due to work for did, cancelled everything booked for this season so they didn't have to pay rent for chalets and pay staff with no guests. They have to commit now, or not operate, and I know which I would choose.
ski holidays
My advice to anybody going anywhere is pay with your credit card. Credit card insurance works very well. They also callback money if somebody took payment and did not deliver service or goods.
As a consumer, you are much better protected when buying things on a credit card.
ski holidays
@RobinS, makes sense. They have the opportunity of people rolling forward to next season, so bank that money. Don’t book the chalets now. Then if they can operate at the time, book the chalets last minute for lower rates. One of the pitfalls of everyone doing “full refundable deposits”.
snow report
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, Fully refundable deposits is not a sustainable business model, only the desperate would offer that.
latest report
Indeed. Although it was “up to 10 weeks in advance” so I assumed they would wait until then. But it now makes sense with the booking of chalets an staff. Obvious really.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy