Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
@j b, I think it's a lot more nuanced than comparing infection rates in countries or regions. Sheffield does have an alarming and increasing infection rate, having a large populations of students and to some extend inter generational households. Infection rates maybe low in the Alps at the moment because nobody is visiting. The risks will be severe if/when people from al over Europe congregate in cable cars/gondolas, buses restaurants, bars and chalets.

The only way we MAY go skiing next season (travel restrictions permitting) will be in our winterised campervan (if I get it finished in time) sticking to chair and drag lifts with packed lunches - which wil not be what the local economy will be looking for
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Living in France I think it has broadly similar rates to UK although I have more trust in the stats here. Similar measures to UK although more measured than in UK which I think have been a series of knee jerks.

Here in the Alps at the moment I feel very safe. As more visitors arrive that will likely change. However I'm a frequent visitor to Lyon which has much higher rates as have many large cities worldwide.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops wrote:
I think it’s the end of the line for Brits going skiing unless they can quarantine (probably both going and coming back), but most countries will shut up shop soon to foreign travellers for the winter.

Poland, Bulgaria & Slovakia all just recorded their highest number of cases ever !

Scandanavia will shut up shop soon with Norway cases now spiralling, plus Finland just recorded its highest number of cases just below the previous high in April

Japan closed to tourists (actually closed to most and very few can enter) and I doubt any one will be paying to go to S Korea (been there, it’s cold, icy & miserable)

Hunker down, it’s going to be a long winter Sad

It's FAR to early to conclude things like that. Most skiing nations are making decisions/tightening up now precisely so that they CAN then open up during the winter (at least the peak holidays time of it). Patience!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay at home Ray, more room on the slopes for me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B wrote:
Living in France I think it has broadly similar rates to UK although I have more trust in the stats here. Similar measures to UK although more measured than in UK which I think have been a series of knee jerks.

net result recently about the same though.

I don't feel in danger in Lincolnshire either. Case numbers are rising in Lincoln though - so I am avoiding the town centre. I don't see France getting through its problems any faster than here, unfortunately. I hope that the situation improves in both countries - I'd love to be out in LDA next season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely our best hope is for everywhere to become one infected mess at the same rate as one another so these travel corridors don't become a barrier!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pruman wrote:
Governments don't care whether you and I ski or not.
Continental governments do. There's a lot of dependency on white gold, and in the long term snow without skiers spending their hard earned cash is nothing but an inconvenience. So Brits not skiing this year due to Covid19 or Brexit will have horrible consequences. In the short term though, it means less queues, sorry guys.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pastorius,
Agreed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pastorius,
Agreed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It would help if people focused not on the number of positive cases but on the hospitals and deaths. I've sat and watched the headlines for 4-5 months now on packed south coast beaches, BLM marches, tourists visiting Cornwall, Devon, North Wales etc, the pubs reopening all leading to mass deaths. The reality is different & the economic tsunami heading our and the rest of the worlds way is going to make COVID look tame. Shield the old, shield the vulnerable but the rest of us need to get on with it & avoid risk as best we can, these further lockdowns are just rubbish.

Covid: What is the risk of the NHS being overwhelmed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54440392

Coronavirus: Health experts join global anti-lockdown movement
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54442386

I'm looking forward to skiing in France in January and March.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller wrote:
It would help if people focused not on the number of positive cases but on the hospitals and deaths. I've sat and watched the headlines for 4-5 months now on packed south coast beaches, BLM marches, tourists visiting Cornwall, Devon, North Wales etc, the pubs reopening all leading to mass deaths. The reality is different & the economic tsunami heading our and the rest of the worlds way is going to make COVID look tame. Shield the old, shield the vulnerable but the rest of us need to get on with it & avoid risk as best we can, these further lockdowns are just rubbish.

Covid: What is the risk of the NHS being overwhelmed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54440392

Coronavirus: Health experts join global anti-lockdown movement
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54442386

100%
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Me too, with everything crossed Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thefatcontroller, 100% will definitely be skiing in Italy this season even though I now need a Negative Covid cert (£150-200) within 72 hours of arrival and most likely 14 days quarantine (will almost certainly be announced tonight) on return.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brnttptr wrote:
@thefatcontroller, 100% will definitely be skiing in Italy this season even though I now need a Negative Covid cert (£150-200) within 72 hours of arrival and most likely 14 days quarantine (will almost certainly be announced tonight) on return.

and likely to change how many times before you travel?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, Leaving in a few weeks so hopefully not that many but one never knows! Very Happy
ski holidays
Regarding Booking trips. Like my pal and I, Many people received vouchers from last season Due to cancelled holidays.
These (mine at least) need to be used by the end of April. So people will need to book at some point or lose the voucher. Assuming that the resorts do open up to us at some point, your voucher would then become usable. If you leave it late and the restrictions come back in, would the T/O’s be able to say that you had the opportunity to go. Therefore we will not honour your voucher for the following season?
If nothing opens to us all season I presume that they would be obligated to extend the voucher date.
Or, as maybe the case for us. We have already booked using the voucher. But I doubt that my pal would be able to self isolate for two weeks, therefore would not be able to go even if it is open to us but self isolation is required upon our return.
Would we just lose the trip (I.e. voucher) if he can’t go? I expect so.
There are lots of people with vouchers out there. But it may end up as ‘Use it or Lose it’. With possibly a lot of losers!!
snow report
Surely, if you accepted a voucher, which was basically to help a company with cash liabilities and operational re-structuring, then if they can't honour that voucher (regardless of blame), then the original contractual situation exists = they owe you a refund?
latest report
We had a DIY trip planned for Easter which I've moved to over Christmas, I'm still hopeful as we can manage quarantine coming home. We were due to fly into Geneva and then ski in France, but I've now changed our flights so at least I'm only following France's rules. Having to quarantine on arrival would screw us, I have booked additional avios flights a week earlier too, though I haven't told my husband as he won't agree to working from his laptop and he's already antsy about having to work from home on return, (for no good reason). I don't agree with lockdown as I feel the cost to the economy is too high and we need to learn to live with covid, because even if we get a vaccine it won't be available to the under 50's for a while, however from a selfish point of view restrictions now might mean that covid cases aren't as high as they could be over Christmas. I like to think that France hasn't introduced quarantine because it needs our money, but basically I need the hope that our holiday will still go ahead.
ski holidays
alasdair.graham wrote:
I've written this season off as far as Europe is concerned, scrapped a couple of trips last season and I just don't think it's worth making plans beyond this weekend.
I'll gamble on a Glenshee season ticket and pray for some midweek dumps, the Scottish ski centres may be one of the few winners in all of this.

So have we - normally we drive down to Switzerland but one of our group is vulnerable and with the uncertainties of Europe we have splashed out on a cottage near Glenshee for half-term. It's a shorter drive and if the snow is poor, at least we can sit indoors and play board games and drink Whiskey.
latest report
You have more chance of Switzerland being open for business than Scotland NehNeh
snow report
@thefatcontroller, 100% Have we been testing for influenza as well ? This season is touring in Scotland and then in March, April-France.
Was in Zermatt last August, amazing people, normal precautions, reason not fear!
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
the economic tsunami heading our and the rest of the worlds way is going to make COVID look tame. Shield the old, shield the vulnerable but the rest of us need to get on with it & avoid risk as best we can, these further lockdowns are just rubbish.

I agree, as do an increasing number of "experts": Covid-19: Group of UK and US experts argues for “focused protection” instead of lockdowns.

The greatest risk factor for adverse outcome to Covid 19 is age: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02483-2. People like me and my partner.
So we are very careful. No pubs, no restaurants, no public transport, no going out socially at all really. While keeping fit with walks, bicycle, rowing machine. And keeping weight down.
latest report
@onefff, What is this Whiskey you are talking about. If you are in Gelnshee then surely you should be drinking the local spirit
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@onefff, What is this Whiskey you are talking about. If you are in Gelnshee then surely you should be drinking the local spirit

Which would be the Edradour, and a lovely drop it is too.

Although he is perfectly entitled to drink that Irish muck if he likes..........................
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
the economic tsunami heading our and the rest of the worlds way is going to make COVID look tame. Shield the old, shield the vulnerable but the rest of us need to get on with it & avoid risk as best we can, these further lockdowns are just rubbish.

I agree, as do an increasing number of "experts": Covid-19: Group of UK and US experts argues for “focused protection” instead of lockdowns.

The greatest risk factor for adverse outcome to Covid 19 is age: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02483-2. People like me and my partner.
So we are very careful. No pubs, no restaurants, no public transport, no going out socially at all really. While keeping fit with walks, bicycle, rowing machine. And keeping weight down.

Add a good dose of Vitamin D to your daily diet if not doing already. Read up on Vitamin D....
snow report
thefatcontroller, yes, thank you, being dosed up with a variety of vitamins my partner, including vitamin D.
latest report
I think a survey would be good.

What do you normally do? Weeks / day / trips / season, where, how; DIY, chalet, hotel, self cater, own place, drive, train, fly.

What have you normally booked by now?

What have you booked?

What are your plans?

But this is all dependent on; the existing companies remaining solvent, availability of staff, resorts / local government attitudes and rules to influxes of staff and visitors, lifts and other infrastructure.

And they didn't even close the pubs during the Blitz.

I've made no concrete plans, not even booked time off yet. If we went I think I'd drive via Hull- Zeebrugge (to avoid the French fishermen / farmers / the M6).

I don't fancy getting on a plane. "Planes are safe" and "loads of people got infected on a plane back from Zante" are contradictory statements.

Self-catering- if there is any, we could even take all our own food in my Kombi.
snow report
Alternatively hut to hut telemark touring in Norway? Possibly late April / May? And camping? Pulling a pulk?

How much beer can you get in a pulk?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think a survey would be good.

Survey monkey is at your disposal
ski holidays
yesterday we returned from a short city break in Florence. Booked it two days before going and it was an interesting experience.

I was pretty impressed by how careful virtually everyone was and how organised the transport, public places and museums were. It definitely made me more likely to go skiing this year, we were thinking of a few weeks self catering in the Dolomites so will monitor the situation.

Heathrow was quiet, BA flight out only half full, no alcohol or items available to purchase on the flight but everyone got a complimentary snack and bottle of water. Didn't see any major problems with passengers, everyone wore masks but one or two people unhappy that they weren't allowed to change seats (evidently rules for entering Italy is no seat changes to avoid people mingling). On the return flight to UK people could move seats once we reached altitude. Boarding and disembarking more controlled than usual, few rows at a time so took longer. On arrival in Italy they were temperature checking some people e.g. the guy who was throwing up on the plane coming into land and didn't look good... we were through Pisa airport in literally a few minutes they must have worked like lightning on the baggage. No one asked for the various forms we'd been asked to complete. BA staff told me that rules are constantly changing and is difficult for them to keep up with the paperwork requirements. Train and station were good everyone wearing masks on train, seats were blocked off on some public transport. Going back Heathrow was less organised, more queues and the damn online UK form is a pain...

Coincidentally we'd been to the same city almost exactly a year ago so cold compare. Main sights were very quiet, most museums had temp checks before entry and all had significantly reduced the number of people who could go in. However, due to reduced visitors you could get in anywhere you wanted and once in was nice and quiet. Good for visitors but bad for businesses. Some limitations e.g. Hotel had closed their wine bar due to Covid restrictions, a lot of shops had signs limiting the number of people who could go in, some insisted you use hand gel before entering, ditto bars & restaurants. Assuming they open I'd expect Italian ski resorts to be following similar rules.

Many people in streets were wearing masks all the time, even before they brought in new legislation saying masks mandatory in all public places 24x7. Didn't see any adult in an indoor space without a mask except eating/drinking.

So, if resorts are open why wouldn't I go skiing and stay self catering...
(1) if we need Covid tests before we go, we live in a rural area so it won't be easy to obtain and get results within 72 hrs of departure. Now needed for Italy which would be our preferred destination.
(2) cramped transport - I wouldn't want to be on a full flight where people have been drinking since they arrived at the airport then be stuck on a bus for 3 hours - we'll either fly scheduled club class (BA is currently ca £150 return in club vs Easyjet £130 cattle) and hire a car or drive from UK
(3) queues - lift capacity per hour is going to be reduced, if it's down by 50 % and so are numbers then it will be ok but if it's down by 50% and visitor numbers are still at 75% it will be a pain.

R
snow report
richb67 wrote:
yesterday we returned from a short city break in Florence. Booked it two days before going and it was an interesting experience.

I was pretty impressed by how careful virtually everyone was and how organised the transport, public places and museums were. It definitely made me more likely to go skiing this year, we were thinking of a few weeks self catering in the Dolomites so will monitor the situation.

Heathrow was quiet, BA flight out only half full, no alcohol or items available to purchase on the flight but everyone got a complimentary snack and bottle of water. Didn't see any major problems with passengers, everyone wore masks but one or two people unhappy that they weren't allowed to change seats (evidently rules for entering Italy is no seat changes to avoid people mingling). On the return flight to UK people could move seats once we reached altitude. Boarding and disembarking more controlled than usual, few rows at a time so took longer. On arrival in Italy they were temperature checking some people e.g. the guy who was throwing up on the plane coming into land and didn't look good... we were through Pisa airport in literally a few minutes they must have worked like lightning on the baggage. No one asked for the various forms we'd been asked to complete. BA staff told me that rules are constantly changing and is difficult for them to keep up with the paperwork requirements. Train and station were good everyone wearing masks on train, seats were blocked off on some public transport. Going back Heathrow was less organised, more queues and the damn online UK form is a pain...

Coincidentally we'd been to the same city almost exactly a year ago so cold compare. Main sights were very quiet, most museums had temp checks before entry and all had significantly reduced the number of people who could go in. However, due to reduced visitors you could get in anywhere you wanted and once in was nice and quiet. Good for visitors but bad for businesses. Some limitations e.g. Hotel had closed their wine bar due to Covid restrictions, a lot of shops had signs limiting the number of people who could go in, some insisted you use hand gel before entering, ditto bars & restaurants. Assuming they open I'd expect Italian ski resorts to be following similar rules.

Many people in streets were wearing masks all the time, even before they brought in new legislation saying masks mandatory in all public places 24x7. Didn't see any adult in an indoor space without a mask except eating/drinking.

(1) if we need Covid tests before we go, we live in a rural area so it won't be easy to obtain and get results within 72 hrs of departure. Now needed for Italy which would be our preferred destination.
(2) cramped transport - I wouldn't want to be on a full flight where people have been drinking since they arrived at the airport then be stuck on a bus for 3 hours - we'll either fly scheduled club class (BA is currently ca £150 return in club vs Easyjet £130 cattle) and hire a car or drive from UK
(3) queues - lift capacity per hour is going to be reduced, if it's down by 50 % and so are numbers then it will be ok but if it's down by 50% and visitor numbers are still at 75% it will be a pain.

R

BA have nailed it; Ryanair is business as usual! The other carriers I've been with this year have been business class - so can't really comment - apart from no booze, which I don't really get?
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Claude B wrote:

net result recently about the same though.

I don't feel in danger in Lincolnshire either. Case numbers are rising in Lincoln though - so I am avoiding the town centre. I don't see France getting through its problems any faster than here, unfortunately. I hope that the situation improves in both countries - I'd love to be out in LDA next season.

be interesting to compare how many tests the other countries are doing; unless also including a percentage of how many tests overall its a pretty meaningless stat.
ski holidays
@Dravot,
snow conditions
ed123 wrote:

I've made no concrete plans, not even booked time off yet. If we went I think I'd drive via Hull- Zeebrugge (to avoid the French fishermen / farmers / the M6).

Think you may find Hull-Zeebrugge has just been pulled by P&O unless the Gov stumps up loads of cash.
snow conditions
Quick look at Worldometer the last 2 days:

UK 290,000 tests per day
France 170,000
Germany 130,000
Italy. 130,000

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 9-10-20 20:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Dravot,
Quote:

BA have nailed it; Ryanair is business as usual! The other carriers I've been with this year have been business class - so can't really comment - apart from no booze, which I don't really get?

We flew with Jet2 to Turkey about three weeks ago. They were very good. Only two in each set of three seats unless you were family or in the same group. Masks worn by everyone unless eating. No people standing apart from one person at a time waiting for the loo. All procedures followed and adhered to by both crew and passengers. We felt as safe as you can under the circumstances.
The airport experience was good too. Everyone appeared calmer than usual. We took wipes to wipe down around us on the aeroplane. We didn’t use the loo so I think our risk once seated on board was fairly minimal.
So well done Jet2.
Having to fly won’t put me off going this year, but will find a corner to tuck myself away in if the terminals are busy.
snow conditions
Thanks @richb67, it does sound as if Italy could be an option. Though flight price comparisons now aren't really relevant, it would be risky to book much in advance. And I am unaware of any private Covid tests available round here.

Our issue is that all our ski gear is currently in France which may or may not be accessible come January. Happily, despite @Jake43, the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry still seems to be taking bookings so we will try and head over while we can, and bring back at least boots and clothing (we also want to take some items over there in case Brexit creates an issue with personal exports). We will just have to rent skis, last minute flight booking mightcreate problems with them.

Perhaps otherwise Norway. We've always been curious to try the skiing there.
ski holidays
All you Covidiots on this Forum

It is unbelievable.

Folks planning Travels

Seriously Take a good Hard look at Youselves..

You are the Problem!!

I hope there is a meccanism to impose a minimum €5000 fines.

Pleaese.

#Stayathome
snow report
Dravot wrote:
richb67 wrote:

R

Good report, thanks for that. I think that's what we need. I'm hoping to drive but quarantine issues whilst travelling through countries to the Alps are a big issue. Perhaps France is the simplest answer even if you have to sit at home for 14 days on return.
latest report
stanton wrote:
All you Covidiots on this Forum

It is unbelievable.

Folks planning Travels

Seriously Take a good Hard look at Youselves..

You are the Problem!!

I hope there is a meccanism to impose a minimum €5000 fines.

Pleaese.

#Stayathome

No !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy