Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
So for the avoidance of all doubt the UK has confirmed that a ski holiday is not essential travel.

https://planetski.eu/2021/01/27/uk-government-confirms-ban-on-all-ski-holidays/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
France is closing its borders to all non EU countries from Sunday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jabuzzard wrote:
So for the avoidance of all doubt the UK has confirmed that a ski holiday is not essential travel.
Android2000 wrote:
France is closing its borders to all non EU countries from Sunday.

These things shall pass.
They can be reversed as quickly as they were put in place and they will be reversed at some point. It's unlikely but if travel restrictions are removed before April 2nd, we're off. The only way I'll give up all hope of having a slide before time runs out is if all resorts/regions in driveable distance announce they're staying shut for the whole season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Higs wrote:

They can be reversed as quickly as they were put in place and they will be reversed at some point. It's unlikely but if travel restrictions are removed before April 2nd, we're off. The only way I'll give up all hope of having a slide before time runs out is if all resorts/regions in driveable distance announce they're staying shut for the whole season.

Sure they will be reversed in due course. I would put the probability of them being reversed by the 2nd of April at somewhere around ħ. Non essential travel outside the UK before the autumn is just not going to happen.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jabuzzard, good Physics knowledge!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jabuzzard wrote:
Higs wrote:

Sure they will be reversed in due course. I would put the probability of them being reversed by the 2nd of April at somewhere around ħ. Non essential travel outside the UK before the autumn is just not going to happen.

Surely for skiers it’s 2ħ ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just had our March holiday to Serre Chevalier officially cancelled by Crystal
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't cancelled our end of March trip yet - sadly I think I'll have to - but am going to leave it as late as possible

Surely there will come a point that, if they haven't already opened, resorts just won't bother? I'd imagine the cost of gearing up, checking runs, lifts, getting staff ready etc wouldn't be worth it for a few weeks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some Brits are still trying to get a ski holiday in this season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55888856
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Frosty the Snowman, They really should just throw the book at them.

Every incident like this makes it less likely we will see any opening this season, and as unlikely as it may already be, I'd prefer to not have idiots like these making it any less so.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jabuzzard wrote:
Non essential travel outside the UK before the autumn is just not going to happen.

It a period of high uncertainty, you seem to make that statement with a lot of certainty. In my mind I can see non-essential travel to safe countries starting to open up in early summer, but that's just a hunch (I like to think it's an educated hunch, but that's debatable!!!). Is yours just a hunch or anything else adding to your thinking?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Some Brits are still trying to get a ski holiday in this season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55888856

The BBC probably need to have a look at their translating services. The Police did the rounds of some accommodation in St Anton a few days ago following comments from the Mayor that appear to have got people riled up. They found 96 signs of breaches of regulations (not necessarily corona related, AIUI quite a few were related to registration), and only 29 fines. Chances are, especially for Brits, that they will have travelled out to Austria before any lockdown restrictions were put in place when the season was due to open up at Christmas and their jobs supposed to start. Austria's lockdown came in and the opening of hotels/gastro delayed, but as the lifts are open and you're already there, why go elsewhere.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can see the Government dusting down their original idea of travel corridors, allowing holiday/non essential travel to other countries based on their individual vaccination levels and risk of a new variant. So, probably holidays to continental Europe but not South Africa, Asia, Americas etc.
So, possibly not something you could book in advance with any huge confidence, and liable to be closed down at short notice if the Government deem necessary. Whether travel businesses and airlines can operate on that basis is open to question-likewise, whether people are prepared to commit money too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, yes something similar happened in Bad Gastein. A number of "illegal holidaymakers" were investigated and in most cases it turned out that they were seasonnaires who had arrived for non-existent work but hadn't subsequently left. Not entirely sure how the authorities are dealing with them. EU citizens can in theory register their residence as jobseekers for 4 months, but Brits can't.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Sitter, yes something similar happened in Bad Gastein. A number of "illegal holidaymakers" were investigated and in most cases it turned out that they were seasonnaires who had arrived for non-existent work but hadn't subsequently left. Not entirely sure how the authorities are dealing with them. EU citizens can in theory register their residence as jobseekers for 4 months, but Brits can't.

The Brits will be covered by the WA as they will have arrived and registered prior to the end of last year. If they arrived after that, then they're holiday makers no matter which way they try and spin it.
snow report
I stand by my earlier comment on the Arlberg thread

„ if one wanted to be cynical it has probably until recently suited the Austrian (local) authorities to have a bunch of young expats hanging around hoping for work and meanwhile costing nothing..if the season were to have begun in February/early March then an „Arbeitskräfte“ would have been on hand as required..(where else could newly opening hotels have got temporary workers at short notice?). Now it is clear the tourist season will not happen it may suit the authorities to take a harder line and „get rid“..“
ski holidays
..But not sure how the authorities can get rid of those EU nationals who legitimately arrived seeking work and have remained as jobseekers...maybe they are hoping the pressure/adverse publicity will do the trick..
latest report
As expected, France has confirmed that ski lifts in their resorts will not be re-opened for at least another month: https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/01/france-says-its-ski-lifts-will-remain-closed-for-at-least-another-month
snow report
@Sitter, but they are only covered by the WA if they satisfy the conditions. In Austria that means applying for a registration certificate before 31.12.20. In order to qualify for a registration certificate you need proof that you can support yourself financially and proof that you have health insurance. My guess is that Brits who arrived for a job which didn't happen wouldn't qualify for this unless they have very deep pockets.
snow report
Quote:

In order to qualify for a registration certificate you need proof that you can support yourself financially and proof that you have health insurance. My guess is that Brits who arrived for a job which didn't happen wouldn't qualify for this unless they have very deep pockets.

How deep a pocket?
ski holidays
As a minimum to be able to afford „umfassende Krankenversicherung“ (comprehensive public health insurance) at around €650 per month + to prove have the means not to be dependent on the Austrian social system...

i suspect these are the grounds being used to encourage the British & Irish ( Ireland is not in the Schengen zone iirc) „overstayers“ to leave..not sure how they could apply to others from Schengen countries tho’ as they’d have the right to stay for 4 months
snow report
In other words while the British who entered legitimately before 31 Dec would be in theory permitted to stay for 90/180 days (until end of March) the might be pushed to leave on the basis they (absent jobs) lacked the relevant health insurance/means to live without being a burden on the Austrian state..
snow conditions
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Sitter, but they are only covered by the WA if they satisfy the conditions. In Austria that means applying for a registration certificate before 31.12.20. In order to qualify for a registration certificate you need proof that you can support yourself financially and proof that you have health insurance. My guess is that Brits who arrived for a job which didn't happen wouldn't qualify for this unless they have very deep pockets.

No mention of needing the Anmeldebescheinigung, you just needed to be registered as living in Austria by 31/12/20. You then have until the end of this year to apply for the Art. 50 EUV, so perfectly feasible for people to do it that way. Be interesting where the Austrian authorities would stand should they ask Brits to leave if they had arrived legitimately and aren't reliant on the Austrian state.
ski holidays
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
In other words while the British who entered legitimately before 31 Dec would be in theory permitted to stay for 90/180 days (until end of March) the might be pushed to leave on the basis they (absent jobs) lacked the relevant health insurance/means to live without being a burden on the Austrian state..

No, under the WA, they are permitted to remain and are not tourists, subject to obtaining the Art 50 EUV (which they have to do by the end of the year).
ski holidays
Indeed..and some Brits might have taken advantage of the transitional arrangements to try to stay for 90/180 days..which they may well be entitled to do..
latest report
And it is even more difficult to see how Austria can push those from other Schengen countries to leave..if they arrived legitimately with a promise of a job or even seeking work ..
snow report
It sounds as though the British are getting a consistently bad reputation in European skiing circles this year. Sad
ski holidays
jabuzzard wrote:
Non essential travel outside the UK before the autumn is just not going to happen.
You may be right but I hope you're wrong. We've got a trip to New York and Washington booked* late summer.

(*all re-arrangeable/cancellable and paid on credit card)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I get me second jab end of Feb. Will I then be able.to travel like a dog.with the rabies jab passport?
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I get me second jab end of Feb. Will I then be able.to travel like a dog.with the rabies jab passport?

Not as it currently stands. Non essential travel banned regardless of vaccination.
snow conditions
@Higs, so have we got similar trip booked. Son’s second wedding to maybe go to. Not really holding out a lot of hope at the moment but who knows,p.
ski holidays

Couple tins of Chum and a box of Boneo, you'll be good to go Very Happy
latest report
Sitter wrote:
Bergsteiger278 wrote:

No, under the WA, they are permitted to remain and are not tourists, subject to obtaining the Art 50 EUV (which they have to do by the end of the year).

I think even under the old rules they had to either demonstrate having sufficient resources and/or a job to remain in Austria longer than 3 months, no? Even under the EU freedom of movement rules it was never the case that people could just go somewhere to live off the state, just that they had up to 3 months to try to get settled. (Edit: apart from the UK, which chose not to use those controls)

However I think there's a lot of confusion around the issue in St Anton. I don't think anyone's complaining about the seasonaires who legitimately arrived in Dec - apart from those people themselves, maybe worrying about being caught up in it - the issue is rather the people openly asking in various FB groups *since January* how they can get into Austria/St Anton to ski, in full knowledge that there are no jobs, and being openly advised by some locals how they can get around the rules to come in as job seekers having rented long term (ie not tourist) accommodation.

And FWIW, that was mostly other nationalities, not so much Brits.

Not just St Anton though. There were very clearly tourists skiing here this weekend, based on number plates, languages, skiing skills, and skiing equipment. And camper vans Laughing
snow report

I guess it must be when you stop frothing at the mouth. wink
ski holidays
DB wrote:

I guess it must be when you stop frothing at the mouth. wink

....and stop randomly biting people. Wink
snow conditions
Agreed - fwiw the very few tourists I have met this season have been German or Swiss..as for the FB groups - there might be a lot of talk but in practice it would be difficult to rent long term without the knowledge/connivance of the local Gemeinde..most ski resorts are small places! (With the exception of Innsbruck of course
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
As expected, France has confirmed that ski lifts in their resorts will not be re-opened for at least another month: https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/01/france-says-its-ski-lifts-will-remain-closed-for-at-least-another-month

Remains to be seen but think that'll be the nail in coffin for this season - can't see many resorts wanting to open for 6-8 weeks after?
ski holidays
im only jealous that they get to ski... less chance of covid there..if they are youngsters then keep them there, stops them spreading covid Smile
snow report
I was listening to the news in my car saying that Austria will tighten up on border restrictions and "illegal tourism" just as I was following a Q7 with Vienna plates packed to the rafters plus a roof box (Vienna and Lower Austria are on semester holidays this week, it's normally pretty much the busiest week of the season). Laughing

Of course they could be second home owners, but surely they wouldn't need to bring so much luggage if that was the case? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Missed out on family ski holiday last March and gut feeling is the same for this year - albeit for the right reasons. However, mixed bag of feelings regarding holidays:

1. Would love to ski this Easter if in any way possible but not holding out hopes - and how packed would resorts be if they opened?
2. Politicians sharing their views of 'Great British Summers' and having booked their summer holidays in Cornwall are just trying to subliminally encourage UK residents drive money into the UK economy as opposed to another country
3. No overseas holidays (in main period of July/August) will just result in the collapse of yet another sector and so I think we will be 'allowed' to start thinking about summer holidays abroad from May with a view that travel corridors will be set up again just before summer school holidays
4. It's interesting how the French have not imposed another lockdown yet for fear of rioting (Dutch style) - while we (apparently) toe the line and do as we are politely told to do but have substantially worse figures.....
5. How we managed it I don't know, but last year we had a lovely 2 weeks in the French and Italian Alps at the start of August (which was booked months before Covid was an issue) - so, in my mind, if we could do that when there was no vaccine/full understanding then why on earth would summer holidays not happen this year? Add together warmer weather + vaccine + keep in place social distancing and you will see a different UK from May

Sorry - pent up thoughts and frustrations from a non-skiing, home schooling mum who's trying to keep from losing her mind......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy