Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
There is an all too real risk that the entire season will be lost. We will only start to recover next Christmas. It is a disaster without precedent
That sums it all up nicely...Barely the second week of January and the whole of 2021 is already being written off. 'Disaster' is practically an understatement... Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All UK travel corridors closed from Monday
BBC News - Covid: UK to close all travel corridors from Monday
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55681861
Got to be the final nail in the coffin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Covid: UK to close all travel corridors from Monday

Skiing 2022 it is then....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where do the BBC get 'closed' from. It just says that you need a negative test.

Must have missed something ??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think closed referred to the travel corridors that didn't have to isolate for ten days in arrival rather than no travel in to the UK.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am now less that 50% confident I'll be skiing at Easter.
Isolating on return for 10days will be the killer for us as even skiing the first week of the hols would nobble daughter's return to A-level schooling (even if exams themselves are off).

And yes, with friends and family killed or permanently damaged by this virus, I should be looking at the bigger issue not just whether I'll be sliding badly down an Alp but sliding down an Alp even if only for 6 days is important to me.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 15-01-21 19:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller wrote:

It's not over till the fat lady sings, tune up Chubs Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

It's not over till the fat lady sings, tune up Chubs Very Happy

I'm an external optimist don't worry Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The rationale for a negative test within 72 hours + 10 (perhaps reducing to 5) days quarantine is the possibility of new variants: more infectious, or not responding to treatments, or for which existing vaccines are ineffective.

But these are going to keep emerging until the virus is largely suppressed worldwide - so we might be looking at years rather than months Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Higs wrote:
I am now less that 50% confident I'll be skiing at Easter.
Isolating on return for 10days will be the killer for us as even skiing the first week of the hols would nobble daughter's return to A-level schooling (even if exams themselves are off).

And yes, with friends and family killed or permanently damaged by this virus, I should be looking at the bigger issue not just whether I'll be sliding badly down an Alp but sliding down an Alp even if only for 6 days is important to me.

Understandable sentiments, Higs. Like you, we appreciate the seriousness of the pandemic but skiing is nevertheless important to all of us on here - just not as serious as life or death.

Roll on the end of this nightmare.... Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is why I don't think I'll be skiing at Easter...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The mood music isn’t good today , I am now resigned to no skiing to season 21/22
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Higs, maybe...if we can go to Denmark
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp wrote:
@Higs, maybe...if we can go to Denmark
There's a dry slope on a power station (or is it a recycling centre) in Copenhagen, isn't there?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it time to change this thread to is next season going to happened for the British?
snow conditions
@robboj, gawd no - wait until all hope abandoned on this season first before we depress ourselves further.
snow conditions
@Boris, +1
snow report
@Higs, Interesting chart. What's the source?
snow report
RobMcQ wrote:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
snow conditions
I've tried to console myself for the loss of this year's skiing by booking an October climbing break in Mallorca... Hopefully we'll be vaccinated (over 50) and allowed to travel by then!
snow report
Higs wrote:
RobMcQ wrote:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Thanks.
snow report
No chance this year, and lockdown not good for fitness or slimness, but aiming to semi retire from April so lots of rock climbing and sea kayaking to look forward to, also cycling to build my legs up for a 4-6 week ski trip next season, maybe split between Chamonix, Tignes, Flaine and some touring later in the season. It's only these hopes that keep us going in the meantime
latest report
We have given up and booked a holiday to the States for late September. Fingers crossed for that one!
latest report
Boris wrote:
@robboj, gawd no - wait until all hope abandoned on this season first before we depress ourselves further.

Apologies, had a morning of gloom after hearing from a hotelier friend in Austria as to how grim things are for them. I think some businesses in resorts that normally have any kind of summer season will need it if they're going to still be there next winter. We all may need to consider a holiday in the Alps this summer to help them out if we can?

As a fan of cold weather skiing this season is a goner but maybe some folks will get a slide. I think the biggest challenge is going to be resorts staying open. From that conversation earlier I know that one that is now going to stop maintaining the whole resort and close some pistes imminently and probably the whole place if the current earliest possible opening for hotels at the end of February gets pushed back any further. Locals on season passes don't even tickle the daily costs.
snow conditions
@robboj sorry to hear about the pain being suffered.

I would do another summer holiday in the Alps in a heartbeat (and that’s my aim if we are allowed) but I don’t think we will be freely allowed to travel again by the summer. And Brexit just complicates the situation as we know.
latest report
@Skimum1, brexit won't complicate the situation unless you want to spend more than 90 days in 180 on your summer holiday
snow report
robboj wrote:
Boris wrote:

Apologies, had a morning of gloom after hearing from a hotelier friend in Austria as to how grim things are for them. I think some businesses in resorts that normally have any kind of summer season will need it if they're going to still be there next winter. We all may need to consider a holiday in the Alps this summer to help them out if we can?

As a fan of cold weather skiing this season is a goner but maybe some folks will get a slide. I think the biggest challenge is going to be resorts staying open. From that conversation earlier I know that one that is now going to stop maintaining the whole resort and close some pistes imminently and probably the whole place if the current earliest possible opening for hotels at the end of February gets pushed back any further. Locals on season passes don't even tickle the daily costs.

I do think that's the way it's going - governments are not willing to take the risk and open the slopes and we're getting to the point of no return where they simply cannot open for such a limited season.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, we have now lost the right to free movement and automatic right to enter EU/Schengen and our covid numbers are far too high to be on the EU green list
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Skimum1, indeed but if you are looking at a couple of weeks jollys in the summer then FoM wont be an issue. we do not need a visa to enter so can enter at will. covid numbers stopped us travelling to the eu before 3st dec sp thats covid not brexit

i hate brexit but theres no point blaming it for everything
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Indeed, I am massively against the whole clusterf**k, but am tired of people using it as an excuse. Same goes for Covid, people use it as an excuse/reason when it isn't really valid. Both are legitimately causing some problems, but not all problems.

I'm getting to the point where I've written off this season and am now hoping I get to Hemel at some point instead Sad
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

I'm getting to the point where I've written off this season and am now hoping I get to Hemel at some point instead Sad

I'm in Hemel I wouldn't rush! Very Happy

more seriously, its a long way to go for an hour or two on a tiny slope. I do occasionally go to get into the swing before an Alps trip, but I get bored after an hour.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Skimum1, indeed but if you are looking at a couple of weeks jollys in the summer then FoM wont be an issue. we do not need a visa to enter so can enter at will. covid numbers stopped us travelling to the eu before 3st dec sp thats covid not brexit

Is it not the case that now the UK is a third country it will have to achieve lower/better covid numbers than EU countries/UK in 2020 - in the same way that eg. America must - before citizens are allowed to travel to the EU for holidays? I've given up trying to stay on top of all this though, so may very well be wrong!
snow report
@clarky999, yes (I think)..I'll give you that...but if the numbers aren't down then we wouldn't be allowed to travel anyway. Even when were still regarded as EU last year there was a landing ban from the UK
ski holidays
t4tomo wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

I'm in Hemel I wouldn't rush! Very Happy

more seriously, its a long way to go for an hour or two on a tiny slope. I do occasionally go to get into the swing before an Alps trip, but I get bored after an hour.
It's always better, IME, if there are other snowHeads to meet there.
Perhaps, if intermingling is normalised to some degree in the Summer, we should revive our regular monthly sessions there? Or at least arrange a one-off (or 2).
snow report
We are well ahead of the rest of Europe with the vaccines. If, as is hoped, there is a corresponding progressive reduction in numbers, then we might find ourselves in a position where we might be above the 3rd country limit, but actually lower than most other EU Countries.

In such a scenario, would the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece (who will be desperate for income), prefer our business for late summer holidays rather than their fellow Europeans?

It could well be a factor in the next winter season, as we will hopefully have completed all second doses, and, based on current rates, most of the EU will not have.
snow conditions
t4tomo wrote:

It is, wouldn't be the first time I've made the trip. Like Admin says though, usually a good chance to meet some other snowhead friends from bashes, and I'd rather get a few hours sliding in at Hemel than wait until next season.
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx,

Landing ban from the UK last summer. I don't remember that. We had plenty of UK visitors in France in the summer. The thing that stopped it was the UK imposing a self isolation requirement on return from France.
latest report
brianatab wrote:
In such a scenario, would the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece (who will be desperate for income), prefer our business for late summer holidays rather than their fellow Europeans?

Possible. If the UK stays way ahead in the vaccine race then some pettiness may well come into play. Germany, Austria, France, maybe even Italy might think they can afford to be Brexit sniffy, especially over summer, but I'm sure the owners and employees in every business that loses bookings or doesn't get a regular booking may not be slow to remind them of the price of their pettiness come the ballot box.

Spain and Greece in particular and probably Portugal will want the cash from Brits or from anyone else so the others would need to prevent their citizens from going to the Med, like last year.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
t4tomo wrote:

It is, wouldn't be the first time I've made the trip. Like Admin says though, usually a good chance to meet some other snowhead friends from bashes, and I'd rather get a few hours sliding in at Hemel than wait until next season.

It also helps with the muscle memory. Been pretty much a year since I last skied, if I don't get away until Christmas/NY 2021 that's a long time not doing something. Doing a couple trips indoors for a few hours during the interim will help keep it ever so slightly fresher for when I finally get back on snow. My skiing is still improving trip by trip and I'd prefer not to move too far backwards with that.
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
t4tomo wrote:

It also helps with the muscle memory. Been pretty much a year since I last skied, if I don't get away until Christmas/NY 2021 that's a long time not doing something. Doing a couple trips indoors for a few hours during the interim will help keep it ever so slightly fresher for when I finally get back on snow. My skiing is still improving trip by trip and I'd prefer not to move too far backwards with that.

I'm hopeful that if the relatively cold and snowy winter continues up here that we'll get something open by April. They're only an hour or two away but it just depends what Covid level I'm in compared to the Scottish resorts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy