Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
sixth_jackson wrote:
stanton wrote:
Hey Folks.. You seem to be a bit slow here in keeping up with relality and what is happening .....

In case you missed my Post in Arlberg.Topic..below is from the Chief of The Chamber of Commerce, Tirol, Austria.

""Winter Season still Miles away from Opening""

WK-President: Winter season "unrealistic" this year

This season looks bleak for winter tourism, says Tyrol's WK President Christoph Walser (ÖVP). One is "still miles away" from an opening. In addition, the expected end of the lockdown is "constantly shifting backwards".
In the worst case, an opening is not expected until Easter.
This would represent a 90 percent drop in overnight stays and a loss of value added of 5.2 billion euros, as well as the loss of 48,000 jobs.

"We still have February and March to save the winter season," Walser warned. Given the current situation, it is "unrealistic that we will even bring a winter season this year".

https://www.meinbezirk.at/c-politik/wintersaison-von-oeffnung-noch-meilenweit-entfernt_a4424565

Originally posted here.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4708662&highlight=#4708662

Another thing you should also note..

Apres Ski in Austria Season 2021/2022 will be restricted to the plans they had in place for this season . i.e Seated, Very Quiet...

The reality is that Winterpsports Resorts will not be back to anywhere near normal operations (like we all knew) until Season 2022/2023

Vaccines are not the full Answer as the Virus will still be around .....so the Virus will look for the weakest link .....

This is what every Ski Area also Summer Beach Towns will Need going forward...

http://youtube.com/v/f7YXd1lXUW4

useless poster

Fixed it for you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A person wrote:
In case you ignored my Post
Yep
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, it may be true that there will be no skiing this season for UK residents, but actually I still have hopes for the last Ski Club of GB holiday from 17th April (which I booked many months ago). But will the French let us into France by then? And have opened the resorts?
I am expecting to get my first dose of vaccine around late February, possibly early March (I'm 72). This means the holiday would be around 6 weeks after the jab. But will one dose be sufficient protection? Perhaps I should still drive out and self-cater, as I had previously intended for February, rather than risk flying and the hotel.
Also what about Scotland? Late March or April in Scotland can be great. I did a memorable descent of the steep Diagonal Gully to Loch A'an, 27th MAY 2013.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Isn't the critical path when UK is put on the EU safe countries list??
Perhaps look at ski countries that are not in the EU??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
That's not true in respect of the Oxford vaccine. The full/full = 62% and half/full = 90% was based on the interim release from the Phase 3 trial (with data closed off on 4 November). A fuller data set (up to 21 December, so likely to include more infections in the Phase 3 trial participants) is what led the MHRA and JCVI to conclude that increasing the gap between two full doses to up to 12 weeks led to the highest efficacy rate for the Oxford vaccine.

Oh, I hadn't read that! Important. But meanwhile in the 12 weeks how much protection will we get?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
colinstone wrote:

Perhaps look at ski countries that are not in the EU??

Such as Scotland?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What I've heard is that one can still get C19, as I recall happened in the trials. But it won't hospitalise one.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 8-01-21 17:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
That's not true in respect of the Oxford vaccine. The full/full = 62% and half/full = 90% was based on the interim release from the Phase 3 trial (with data closed off on 4 November). A fuller data set (up to 21 December, so likely to include more infections in the Phase 3 trial participants) is what led the MHRA and JCVI to conclude that increasing the gap between two full doses to up to 12 weeks led to the highest efficacy rate for the Oxford vaccine.

Oh, I hadn't read that! Important. But meanwhile in the 12 weeks how much protection will we get?

Well, according to the anecdotal evidence in this article on the BBC website, potentially none.

Quote:
The nurse, who has asked not to be identified, said she was initially relieved to be offered the chance of a vaccine and despite difficulties getting an appointment, she said she received her first dose of the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine last month.

"It gave me peace of mind. It made me feel safer and that I was doing the right thing for my family... but it gives a false sense of security," she said.

The nurse said she was told it would take 10 days for the vaccine to offer some protection and reduce the risk of transmission.

However, three weeks after the jab, she said she began to feel unwell - with "quite severe symptoms" of a bad cough, high temperature and breathlessness - and said she was "shocked" when she tested positive for coronavirus.

With Covid-19 being so widespread and potentially so virulent, even with 95% efficacy, I think we're a long way off returning to "normal". I am certainly anticipating mask wearing and hand sanitising being a part of my "new normal" routine indefinitely.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball wrote:
Hmm, it may be true that there will be no skiing this season for UK residents, but actually I still have hopes for the last Ski Club of GB holiday from 17th April (which I booked many months ago). But will the French let us into France by then? And have opened the resorts?
I am expecting to get my first dose of vaccine around late February, possibly early March (I'm 72). This means the holiday would be around 6 weeks after the jab. But will one dose be sufficient protection? Perhaps I should still drive out and self-cater, as I had previously intended for February, rather than risk flying and the hotel.
Also what about Scotland? Late March or April in Scotland can be great. I did a memorable descent of the steep Diagonal Gully to Loch A'an, 27th MAY 2013.

Unless the guidelines change (again!) the message you will be given even on your _second_ dose, is that you should continue to take all precautions as if you have not been vaccinated.

That was certainly the case this week. It seems to be a difficult message for recipients to hear.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
>.....have hopes for the last Ski Club of GB holiday from 17th April...

April Snowdown by any chance??
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
>Such as Scotland?

Absolutely. But I think it is a little hit and miss if not an easy day trip or one lives there.

North Macedonia??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowdave wrote:
Unless the guidelines change (again!) the message you will be given even on your _second_ dose, is that you should continue to take all precautions as if you have not been vaccinated.

That was certainly the case this week. It seems to be a difficult message for recipients to hear.

I don't think it's a massive surprise that it's a difficult message for recipients to hear though, @snowdave because I really don't think it is being repeated that often.

"Getting back to normal" is repeated so often that the vaccines are being treated as some sort of silver bullet to wipe Covid-19 out or a magic amulet which will make the recipient(s) invincible. Which it won't.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, you can't plan Scottish skiing well in advance, you go up when the snow and forecast is good. You can drive up in one day though it is a good 9 hour drive from North London. When I was younger I once skied till 4pm, then drove back arriving about 1.30am.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowdave wrote:

Ah, in that case even if they run the holiday perhaps I should drive out and opt out of the hotel and self-cater (and have my own packed lunches outside, and not use covered lifts). Hardly seems worth having the vaccination in that case, if we still can't mix with our friends.
Not a case of difficult to hear (except in the sense that it has been very hushed up, if it is true, since, despite reading lots about it I have never read that).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 8-01-21 18:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@colinstone, yes, Snowdown. You?
latest report
snowball wrote:
Hmm, it may be true that there will be no skiing this season for UK residents, but actually I still have hopes for the last Ski Club of GB holiday from 17th April (which I booked many months ago).

Sadly I think the chances of that happening could be as slim as those of your username in a certain warm place....... Sad
ski holidays
Yes, I did nearly call myself snowballs.

Well, we shall see, that is still more than a quarter of a year away.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 8-01-21 18:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowball wrote:

Not a case of difficult to hear (except in the sense that it has been very hushed up, if it is true, since, despite reading lots about it I have never read that).

Maybe worth reading more...
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-what-to-expect-after-vaccination/what-to-expect-after-your-covid-19-vaccination

"no vaccine is completely effective, so you should continue to take recommended precautions to avoid infection."

"it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

To protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues you still need to:

practice social distancing
wear a face mask
wash your hands carefully and frequently
follow the current guidance"
snow report
@snowdave, how disappointing, I had hoped I could go to art galleries and concerts again when they re-start, and meet vaccinated friends. In that case the arts are dead, even long-term (other than literature and online performances).
snow report
snowball wrote:
@colinstone, yes, Snowdown. You?
Yes. But very wary of programme holding!!
snow report
snowball wrote:
@snowdave, how disappointing, I had hoped I could go to art galleries and concerts again when they re-start, and meet vaccinated friends. In that case the arts are dead, even long-term (other than literature and online performances).

You will be able to do those things in due course.

You will just need to take the recommended precautions and follow the guidance to protect yourself and others as much as possible.
ski holidays
jebroni3_16 wrote:
snowball wrote:

You will be able to do those things in due course.

You will just need to take the recommended precautions and follow the guidance to protect yourself and others as much as possible.

Agreed - at some point thing will re-start, but it will take a while, particularly to understand whether those who are vaccinated are still a major part of the chain of transmission.

What should become very obvious in Feb is that very few of those who've been vaccinated are being admitted to hospital with COVID - at which point, having vaccinated all the over-70s and healthcare workers, the constraints can reduce in March (4 wk lag for immunity to build up).

The Zoe app already collects the "vaccinated or not" data (albeit with a glitch for some people) so it shouldn't be long before that analytics on that begin to emerge.
snow conditions
colinstone wrote:
What I've heard is that one can still get C19, as I recall happened in the trials. But it won't hospitalise one.

There has been a very large study of NHS workers who had covid in the first wave who have been retested in the second wave, NONE of them tested positive, not just no symptoms, not asymptomatic, rather completely clear.

Now that is good news that has been missed by the mainstream.
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
colinstone wrote:

There has been a very large study of NHS workers who had covid in the first wave who have been retested in the second wave, NONE of them tested positive, not just no symptoms, not asymptomatic, rather completely clear.

Now that is good news that has been missed by the mainstream.

No link though Jimbo. Fake?
snow conditions
@telford_mike,
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7781098/
snow report
If you've had covid you appear to be immune for 6 months anyway
snow conditions
@peanuthead, thanks!

In this study, we found a substantially lower risk of reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 in the short term among health care workers with anti-spike antibodies and those with anti-nucleocapsid antibodies than among those who were seronegative.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, Here is the detail of what I referred to.

https://www.journalofinfection.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0163-4453%2820%2930781-7

http://youtube.com/v/M3kQoyCCLmY
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re: Skiing in Scotland.
At present:
All Scottish ski centres are closed due to COVID
All mainland Scottish residents are confined to the bounds of their local authority
Scottish border closed in both directions to non essential travel.

Things will need to change rather dramatically before the season is open to all in the UK.
latest report
A thought. Today I was enjoying the views and munching my sandwich and a person arrived, sat down and lit up approx 3m away outside on a cold, calm day.
I could easily smell the smoke. If the cigarette smoke aerosol travels that far, I would assume that a CV19 aerosol can travel that distance as well??
Next time, I'll tell anyone closer than 5m to shove off.
latest report
@colinstone, I believe it does yes and a while back now when we had to queue outside supermarkets my local one banned people vaping in the queue.
I don’t want to smell it let alone breathe it so I’m glad they did.
snow report
@colinstone, I suspect quite a difference between being able to sense fire and inhaling a large enough dose of virus to become infected ...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@colinstone, I suspect quite a difference between being able to sense fire and inhaling a large enough dose of virus to become infected ...

Indeed. When out for a run I often get a waft of perfume passing people. Worried about a dose of COVID? No.

I suppose they also get a waft of my sweaty Helly Hansen base layer........
latest report
My understanding is that there is still a theoretical possibility of getting Covid-19 post immunisation but the viral load would be low and there would be very little transmission. Thus hopefully minimal severe illness

I believe in the Oxford trials 24,000 folk were involved. Although only 70% effective. However no one was hospitalised or died in the 30% who did not get immunity.

The NHS believes that an initial dose will provide good protection up to the second dose - at 12 weeks to allow a second person to get a dose. This means more people will get it sooner.

Really to get back to normal arrangement everyone should be immunised so that there is full herd immunity. And to protect those who cannot receive the vaccine - of whom there are few.

My sister in-law is almost sixty, works in A&E and is poo-poo scared. The pressure and workload is intolerable. The vaccine has not been offered to her yet.

Spent yesterday vaccinating the over 80s and received my second dose (there were some left overs). Other than a sore arm and a feeling of drinking a bit too much gin no bad after effects. Certainly better than the post Austria ski trip flu like illness I had last March which was awful!

Red Tape needs to be removed to allow retired nurses and doctors to help out with the programme. Having not heard for a month my wife was told she needed to do 21 online e-learning modules including radicalisation prevention, minimal handling and child protection. She has binned it - that is 100 less jabs a day she could have given.

See you on the Pre-season Bash! Lets save the country first
ski holidays
>child protection....
Completely barking when children aren't being vaccinated!!

The point of being able to smell the cig smoke is that this virus variant is more infectious and may equate to receiving a smaller viral load to develop illness in the unvaccinated. Don't think anyone has done the science yet.

And so the pre Xmas pics of crowded shopping streets becomes more relevant with transmission in a Covid mist.
latest report
@dode, yes, indeed, they closed the 2 Scottish resorts that had opened when the new lock-down was announced. But obviously, as a tier 1 area, the Highlands already didn't want people from higher tiers coming in: the lifts were only open for tier 1 and 2 people. I'm not imagining anything happening for at least a couple of months (I was talking about April, you may remember).

or May: here top of Diagonal Gully 27th May
ski holidays
@colinstone, smoke particles are very much lighter than viral particles, so my guess is that they spread much further even than viral aerosol. But to be clear that's only a guess - I haven't looked into the science, and it all gets a bit funny when you get really small (I.e. it's possible that the relatively huge difference in weights is not as important as the fact that both are absolutely tiny).
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
NickYoung wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
LaForet wrote:
If you've got crossings booked that you're moving forwards, then perhaps it might be worth considering a summer trip to the Alps as a compensation, if things open up by then.

Moving backwards, surely? Puzzled

Then, let's look at +1 TV channels Shocked Puzzled

Good point! wink

But what happens if a couple say they are pushing a wedding date back? Would the new date be before or after the original date? Puzzled Toofy Grin

It seems like today's my day for explaining stuff on Snowheads.

If you bring something forward it happens sooner, if you push it back it happens later.

The +1 TV channels show something that was on earlier an hour later i.e if it was on at 2pm it will now be on at 2+1=3pm.

This is my level, I'll leave medical discussion to others who, while academically smart, may be lacking in common sense wink Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
,@snowball, - Did your trip get cancelled today ? Mine did Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
Italy ski resorts closed until Feb 15
The opening of Italy’s ski resorts has been postponed until mid-February, as the country remains in the grip of a pandemic that has killed more than 80,000 people, Nick Squires reports.

Ski resorts were originally meant to open on January 7 but that was postponed until January 18.

The government decreed on Friday that they will not be allowed to open until February 15 and even that may not be set in stone.

“I think it is unlikely that the ski season will resume on February 15,” said Valeria Ghezzi, the president of a national association of lift operators.

There is an all too real risk that the entire season will be lost. We will only start to recover next Christmas. It is a disaster without precedent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy