Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
We love it there, due last March and bumped out of it as the controls came in. Hoping for this season but waiting to see. Very friendly village to stay.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ski3, Booked with Peak Retreats, into Etoile Des Cimes...first time there/using PR.

Fingers crossed we even get there!

As you are now my source for inside information - where do you recommend for ski hire & is it best to get lift passes in resort?

See, I'm staying positive!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've drove all ways. Through the night, through the day, stop off at hotel. I actually enjoy driving. I like having my van in resort it makes life really easy for nipping about. We can take loads of kit with us. At Easter even bikes for my kids.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickYoung, we stayed there Christmas 2019 and loved it. We had our daughter, son in law and two grand daughters with us. We are planning to book for Christmas 2021, same party plus our son and his family (they were originally coming last year but then there was a new baby expected January 2020). Our SIL sorted the girls out with skis from the nearest hire shop just near the little supermarket which is very close.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickYoung, we like this one as they are very helpful https://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/en/commerce-and-service/zigzags-shop-2/?l=2488 mostly we've our own kit now and used more when kids were different sizes but friends with us have used others there with no complaints.

Lift passes we've never booked, just walked up and bought. Us a family of four and you get various allowance for ages, need passport at desk, but again really helpful staff in office to get you up and running.

Etoile d Cimes we've stayed twice (a few of the others too, all good) and both through PR, good place and location only about 50mtrs from snow.
Always had such a great time there. Anything else, shout out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pamski, Good to hear!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski3, Super! Many thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Listening to part of the recent press conference and Prof Whitty, I fear there may not be at 21/22 season either. The Prof was talking about the possible need for restrictions and next winter.
If this is the case, I worry if UK will be on the EU safe countries list.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-some-covid-restrictions-could-return-next-winter-chief-medical-officer-warns-12180133
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickYoung wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
change title to is next season going to happen......
1m vaccines a week is going to take 70 weeks.
2m is still 9 months

There aren't 70m to vaccinate and not every single person who is due one, will take it.

Still, it isn't gonna make a huge difference to such a long time frame.

nope, there is around 35m to vaccinate with 2x jabs per person.
Approx 65m people in the UK, 15m under 16 = 50m & 30% decide not have the jab = 35m
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unbelievable... isn't it Puzzled

https://twitter.com/i/status/1346697107609182210
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:
@robs1, Agreed, why would anyone wish to travel by air, car all the time & to be fair its a breeze once you hit France.

- £330 return for 2 of us to fly to Geneva last year (including a coach transfer to Val Thorens). 9 or 10 hours door to door.
- £600 for us to drive 1000 miles each way. A minimum of 16 hours driving each way, plus an overnight stop. ie at least 30 hours door to door.

We have driven a few times - but mainly in summer. As you say, it's a breeze "once you hit France." The main issue for us is that it takes at least eight hours for us to "hit France," after which we are still only just over 30% of the way to the Alps.

Completely agree, Bergmeister - what works for some won't necessarily work for others.

My situation is that when we go we self cater & take food, wine, beer & all our skis, boots etc so the car is stacked - oh & our grown up kids generally try & hitch a lift so financially it's a no brainer Toofy Grin

And yes we do incur an overnight cost on both trips but hey ho, that's part of the holiday Laughing

I last flew when I went on a boys trip so again that worked from financial point of view.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robs1 wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:
@robs1, Agreed, why would anyone wish to travel by air, car all the time & to be fair its a breeze once you hit France.

I would even say its an absolute pleasure, what with the clear roads & then the mountains - always my preferred option.

We are 170 miles from the chunnel, we try and do it in the middle of the night, as you once the other side it's part of the holiday, being a farmer I love looking at the countryside and the mrs says she enjoys driving in France so it works for both of us

We are in the North West so a little further, we leave home around 0200-30hr get the tunnel & drive to Macon (or close by) where we book a 'cheap' bed - steak, chips & red wine dinner then up for a early start 0600hr, generally hit resort (depending where we are going, traffic. conditions etc) mid morning = perfect timing, yes & knackered!

Dump our stuff in accommodation, buy day lift pass & go skiing snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robs1 wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

- £330 return for 2 of us to fly to Geneva last year (including a coach transfer to Val Thorens). 9 or 10 hours door to door.
- £600 for us to drive 1000 miles each way. A minimum of 16 hours driving each way, plus an overnight stop. ie at least 30 hours door to door.

We have driven a few times - but mainly in summer. As you say, it's a breeze "once you hit France." The main issue for us is that it takes at least eight hours for us to "hit France," after which we are still only just over 30% of the way to the Alps.

Each to their own of course but my wife doesnt travel light and we usually take skis boots etc for others who fly , we love the drive but I can see that others dont

Wife & travel 'light' in the same sentence Puzzled

My wife thinks she has failed if there is any space left in the car - I even pack wine in the cargo area around the spare wheel, you'd be surprised how many you can get in & they are protected Razz Cool

I get soooo excited though when I first get a glimpse of the snow topped mountains though & I actually enjoy driving, yet each to their own Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
michaelbury17 wrote:

Because it takes me 90 minutes to drive to BRS but 5 hours to Folkestone? Because it's generally only two of us travelling from home and it costs considerably more to drive? Because having a couple of pints in an airport and then sitting on a plane with a book and some music is far more relaxing than banging through France at 70mph getting annoyed by other drivers and generally feeling tired?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're 630mls from Samoens, and so tilts the balance toward us. Certainly for a family of four with skis etc. Generally its 10 to 13hrs door to door for most of the western alps ski areas. About 58mph average speed is usually where we end up including stops and staying within legal limits for total agregated journey.

Before family, usually flying with TO bookings but generally not that much difference in time as travelling in larger group. Something like leave home at 3.00am, sort car parking, meet at airport, earliest charter flight, normally at ski village around 13.00hr onwards.

I don't really mind either, but not much in it for us.
snow report
A lot depends on numbers and locations.

We are 2 hours from Folkestone and Chatel is 8 hours (with only changeovers and one fuel stop) from Coquelles. With tunnel faff 10 hours door to door is possible, 12 hours more likely.

Flying via Stansted is leave home 3 hours before flight, 1.5 hours flight, 1 hour airport faff, 1.5 hours drive so 7 hours, more likely 8.

If I’m paying for >2, drive every time. If solo, fly every time. With 2 there is not much in it financially if you hire a car.

Have done every possible drive method, overnight non-stop drive, daytime drive, leave late and hotel midway, pick up from school gate Friday afternoon etc. etc. These days tend to drive during daytime and do it in one hit, taking plenty of breaks.
latest report
Being 20 mins from BRS, flying is a no-brainer for me. £50 return taxi, £100 flight, transfer at the other end. There's just the one of me though - if there were 4 and cost was an issue driving may be an option, although probably not that much cheaper.
snow report
I only ever drive to the Alps if I’m going for 4 weeks or more and want my own transport whilst I’m there.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
NickYoung wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
2m is still 9 months

There aren't 70m to vaccinate and not every single person who is due one, will take it.

Approx 65m people in the UK, 15m under 16 = 50m & 30% decide not have the jab = 35m

If 30% decide not to have the jab and we are doing two full doses of the AstraZenica vaccine then we are stuffed. Because with only 60% protection it gives we won't reach herd immunity levels. The smarter approach IMHO is to go with half first doses of the AstraZenica which increases supply by 50% and is likely to increase protection into the 90+% level. Sure there is not great evidence for that approach, but there is infinitely more than moving to 12 weeks between doses.
snow report
jabuzzard wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
NickYoung wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
2m is still 9 months

If 30% decide not to have the jab and we are doing two full doses of the AstraZenica vaccine then we are stuffed. Because with only 60% protection it gives we won't reach herd immunity levels. The smarter approach IMHO is to go with half first doses of the AstraZenica which increases supply by 50% and is likely to increase protection into the 90+% level. Sure there is not great evidence for that approach, but there is infinitely more than moving to 12 weeks between doses.

Makes good sense to me, please confirm that NehNeh you are an advisor to the Govt... Laughing rolling eyes
ski holidays
michaelbury17 wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
NickYoung wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
2m is still 9 months

Makes good sense to me, please confirm that NehNeh you are an advisor to the Govt... Laughing rolling eyes

The level of expert residing on Snowheads has reached a new high. The number of new experts out there is mindboggling.......... rolling eyes Smile
ski holidays
Well apart from the fact that it currently illegal to travel abroad for holidays
And add to which it is forbidden to enter Switzerland (in my case) and just about everywhere else with snow
And add to which this is now looking like a situation that will remain for weeks, actually months to come

I have now really, really badly sprained my ankle

Season?
What season?
ski holidays
The smarter approach IMHO is to go with half first doses of the AstraZenica which increases supply by 50% and is likely to increase protection into the 90+% level. Sure there is not great evidence for that approach,

As soon as we stop following the science and start making guesses then it just becomes the wild west out there. There's been no trials done on the basis you suggest - merely limited evidence from a faulty first trial of the Astra Zenica vaccine. As to not giving a second doze of the Pfizer - or delaying the second dose outwith the recommended interval - who knows what that will do. We are now taking a 'punt' on the outcome of that one and hoping that giving the second dose to someone else reduces overall mortality - and not that 30 out 100 folks administering the vaccine may contract covid and then spread it to folks getting the vaccine.
snow report
jabuzzard wrote:
The smarter approach IMHO is to go with half first doses of the AstraZenica which increases supply by 50%...

Doesn't it increase the supply by 100%??
ski holidays
Inghams have cancelled all February holidays today and I expect that will most likely extend into March in due course. It looks to me like we are battening down the hatches and hoping/planning for mass immunisation to get us through this winter period when the virus is at its peak.
snow conditions
One 50% dose plus one 100% = 150 as against 200. Supply increased by 33%
latest report
Press conference/announcement tomorrow at 18:00 here which "should" clarify the lift-opening date situation, not much help to you guys if you can't travel..........
latest report
snowball wrote:

?

If you have doses for 1m people, but half that dose, you have enough doses for 2m people = a 100% increase.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, that's it, we just cancelled our last remaining weeks in our apartment in March. We had 7 weeks planned in our apartment, we realised in Sept we wouldn't be able to take the 2 in December, therefore highly unlikely that 3 weeks in Jan would happen, now the last 2 weeks in March are looking too unappealing even if the lifts are open.

Although lifts might be able to open soon, I honestly don't feel like it would be the kind of skiing we normally enjoy. There's going to be a lot of pent up demand out there once lifts are given the green light to open, and even though people say about the act of skiing being naturally socially distanced, the appeal of crammed lift queues and people all over everywhere all the time is quite unappealing to me. It feels like skiing would be as busy as the busiest day ever possible for the entire remainder of the season, if I enjoyed that kind of lift queue bundle and heaving pistes I wouldn't intentionally choose to ski at low season ... but we don't.

I'm not being negative here, just realistic.
We'll go next season... hopefully.
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
snowball wrote:

?

If you have doses for 1m people, but half that dose, you have enough doses for 2m people = a 100% increase.

I see what you are saying - factoring the full 2nd dose.

That's not relevant to their "plan" though. They are saying by delaying the 2nd dose, the first set of doses covers double the people.

You're right that at some point, that 2nd shot has to be a factor, but the aim is to hit as many individuals as soon as possible.
latest report
@NickYoung, Please tell me you are not a maths teacher
snow report
red 27 wrote:

No, I'm not.

Please take me through the maths of it.
snow conditions
@NickYoung, sorry I'm not one either
ski holidays
Surely it doesn't increase supply at all, but does give twice as many people enough initial immunity to hopefully prevent hospitalisation (ie 100% more)

100 doses= 2x doses for 50.
100 doses= 1x initial dose for 100, with another 100 required at a later date.
latest report
Yes, not an question of supply, it's a question of the quantity of doses administered.

RE: the maths ---

"An increase of 100% in a quantity means that the final amount is 200% of the initial amount (100% of initial + 100% of increase = 200% of initial). In other words, the quantity has doubled."
snow report
Maybe the UK's mass vaccination and lockdown will get things under control to the extent that we could all go skiing later in the season but the way European numbers are now increasing and their apparent lack of vaccination roll out (esp France) will surely mean that any realistic hopes are now gone.
ski holidays
"Suppose a value was A and is now B , we work out the percentage increase (or decrease) as follows:

(B−A)/A

So if B=2A , i.e. the value doubled, we get:

(2A−A)/A=A/A=100%"
snow report
red 27 wrote:

Apologise! Smile
snow report
jabuzzard
Quote:
The smarter approach IMHO is to go with half first doses of the AstraZenica which increases supply by 50%

NickYoung
Quote:
?

Poor Carol Vorderman must be choking on her coffee reading this but let me have a go at explaining...

Imagine you've got two doses. One you cut in half, one you don't. You now have 3 doses. Remember it's only the first dose that's halved

You had 2.... now you have 3. 3 is 150% of 2 and so the increase is 50%
snow report
@red 27, never realised the doses were different strengths.
I make that 300% now.

0.5 + 1.0 = 1 full treatment for 1 person.
0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 initial treatment for 3 people.

300% more people less likely to require hospitalisation initially.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy