Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Are you actually surprised that a Russian National is regularly stopped at the border??

What @Android2000 said was simply to underscore the fact that the non-EU queues take longer to process. It wasn't an expression of surprise or complaint. Being "waved through" when you get to the front of the queue is not the point.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree they will be keeping the long queues for those that need to show evidence there’s no incentive for them to have UK nationals bogging up the queue as well.
I believe there will either be a UK queue or a UK/EU/Switzerland queue.
We shall have to see!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What is the point then?

Either we are queueing for half our holiday, or we are waved through, with minimal disruption, not much beyond what would occur in a queue of 300 people in an EU lane.

I don't believe it will be the former.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-01-21 14:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On topic; I spoke to my holiday provider this morning (booked for first week of Easter), and it's simply a wait and see situation.

They did say if tests and/or quarantines were mandatory, we could cancel/delay 'til next year.

Have to say they were very positive, if not optimistic - but I suppose they have to be. They certainly haven't chucked the towel in yet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickYoung wrote:
The vast majority of UK passport holders will be waved through.

Portugal have already said there will be a UK lane at airports. It's not in the interests of holiday destinations to make the process any harder than it needs to be.

Are you actually surprised that a Russian National is regularly stopped at the border??

I would prefer to still be in the EU, but this is exactly the Project Fear nonsense that lost the Referendum in the first place.

Same with free movement. How many UK Nationals actually travel to the EU for more than 90 days? How many want to buy a 2nd property in the EU?

Many of us, yes, including me (pipe dream). But a sizeable enough proportion of the population to build National policies around??

Sorry, that's just plain wrong. No UK passport holders will be "waved through" as their passports will need to be stamped, until the ETIAS system comes into place in 2022. UK passports now carry the same value as a Russian passport in EU airports. Third country.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickYoung, Thanks for bringing it back on topic, useful post. I will cancel Feb HT shortly, hopes for Easter are thin (we also have the first week booked) but have to hope.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickYoung, @Android2000, there's already been quite a lot of hassle at border controls with people getting refused entry (France Spain Italy) who shouldn't be and residents getting their passport stamped wrongly, obviously a mixture of Covid & Brexit.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/Britons-passports-wrongly-stamped-on-entry-to-France

https://www.thelocal.it/20210104/brits-refused-boarding-on-flight-home-to-italy-amid-travel-chaos

Things should hopefully settle down, but this was exactly one of the reasons why I wanted to travel before 31/12/20
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Android2000 wrote:
NickYoung wrote:
The vast majority of UK passport holders will be waved through.

Portugal have already said there will be a UK lane at airports. It's not in the interests of holiday destinations to make the process any harder than it needs to be.

I would prefer to still be in the EU, but this is exactly the Project Fear nonsense that lost the Referendum in the first place.

Same with free movement. How many UK Nationals actually travel to the EU for more than 90 days? How many want to buy a 2nd property in the EU?

Many of us, yes, including me (pipe dream). But a sizeable enough proportion of the population to build National policies around??

Sorry, that's just plain wrong. No UK passport holders will be "waved through" as their passports will need to be stamped, until the ETIAS system comes into place in 2022. UK passports now carry the same value as a Russian passport in EU airports. Third country.

We shall see.

I don't subscribe to Project Fear - it cost "Remain" the referendum.

It may not be as quick or smooth as before, but it won't be Armageddon either.

The way some "remainers" are desperate for things to be awful is perverse.

Before you bite - I wanted to remain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a bit daft calling the inevitable consequences of Brexit "project fear". There will simply be no special treatment for UK passport holders. It will take longer. It's not the end of the world, but to deny it will happen is just unrealistic.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/everything-that-changes-for-brits-travelling-to-eu-after-december-31/

"All airports located in EU have two types of gates for arrivals, one for EU nationals and the other for third-country nationals. Britons have used the first up until now, but after the transition period ends, they will join the second.

Studies show that Brits will have to wait in lines at airports for approximately one extra hour.

More Procedures at Border Checks
In addition to longer waiting times, British nationals will also encounter more procedures at border checks.

“As a non-EEA national, different border checks will apply when travelling to other EU or Schengen area countries,” the UK government points out.

In addition to showing their passports that comply with the rules explained above, at border control, Britons may need to:

present a return or onward ticket
prove they have enough money for their stay
they will also have their passports stamped"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You know you've quoted a pro-EU/anti-Brexit organisation, that has nothing to do with Schengen or the European Union, don't you?

I don't expect air borders to be as quick or smooth as before, nor do I believe it will take an extra hour to get through.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One of the things that annoys people about the forum discussions currently are posters who take the thread off-topic, then turn 'round and make a self-righteous 'On topic ..' post when they're losing the very argument they started in the first place. Whether GB passport holders are or are not going to have to queue for longer has nothing to do with 'Project Fear' - a meaningless term anyway.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Project Fear was the very real strategy adopted by those running the remain campaign. The thought was that the fear of "losing" something and ,highlighting the perceived/potential negatives, was much more powerful than being positive about the benefits of membership.

Conversely, "Leave" campaigned on a "it will be amazing when we leave" platform.

It's not by accident that people like Dominic Cummings are more powerful than elected officials. They are the "King-makers".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaForet wrote:
One of the things that annoys people about the forum discussions currently are posters who take the thread off-topic, then turn 'round and make a self-righteous 'On topic ..' post when they're losing the very argument they started in the first place.

By the way, I didn't take the thread off-topic and wasn't "losing" an argument (which I didn't start).

I have contributed, civilly, to a discussion of opposing views - I don't expect to change anyone's mind, though I am certainly more comfortable with my outlook than the doom and gloomers, who wish for the worst, just so they can say how right they were all along.

If you'd truly read my posts, I think you would recognise a fair bit of balance, pragmatism and positivity.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You know you've quoted a pro-EU/anti-Brexit organisation, that has nothing to do with Schengen or the European Union, don't you?

The UK government website says the same thing.

What I see here (and it relates to the referendum result) is an example of British exceptionalism. The EU Schengen Agreement means that member states have to check third country passports, stamp them, ask their bearer to evidence certain things like return tickets etc. This applie to all third country passport holders, be they from UK, China, Russia, Thailand, any third country. But somehow some Britons assume this won't apply to them. It will.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Time will tell, but if it takes an hour to get through the french might have got tha bags to the conveyor by then, many a time it's taken as long to get the bags as it does to fly from bristol to Lyon, grenoble etc, dont even mention turning up at 8 am on a wknd to fly home, it always seems a complete surprise that anyone is travelling. At least now we almost always drive we dont get this agro at airports.
ski holidays
Back on topic.

No.
latest report
@robs1, Agreed, why would anyone wish to travel by air, car all the time & to be fair its a breeze once you hit France.

I would even say its an absolute pleasure, what with the clear roads & then the mountains - always my preferred option.
snow conditions
Frustratingly, have to agree that it isn't going to happen this season. I was hoping there was maybe a chance at Easter and put a deposit down on a week in Arcs 2000 but going to cancel and book a few trips up for next year. Wife starting to worry about our deferred summer holiday at the end of July.
ski holidays
While I'm not in full caps mode about essential travel only, I did notice that one of the Brits refused entry to Schiphol in the Netherlands yesterday was planning to transit to Spain for a skiing holiday. Did he really think he would get away with that?
latest report
change title to is next season going to happen......
1m vaccines a week is going to take 70 weeks.
2m is still 9 months
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
2m is still 9 months

You are spot on!

You plug details into the NHS App/website (not sure which b/c my wife did it) and it gives you an indication of when you are expected to get the vaccination. 2 adults, late 40's, no known underlying health problems, expect to receive the vaccine in May to July 2022......
ski holidays
@FrediKanoute, you really couldn't make it up could you?

Back on track, I have given up complete hope for Easter 2021, and even doubting anything will happen Christmas/New Year...

Complete c*ck up!
ski holidays
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
2m is still 9 months

There aren't 70m to vaccinate and not every single person who is due one, will take it.

Still, it isn't gonna make a huge difference to such a long time frame.
latest report
Prof Whitty has just given the heads up that the following ski season is not guaranteed!!
ski holidays
Just cancelled my February trip
snow report
michaelbury17 wrote:
@robs1, Agreed, why would anyone wish to travel by air, car all the time & to be fair its a breeze once you hit France.

- £330 return for 2 of us to fly to Geneva last year (including a coach transfer to Val Thorens). 9 or 10 hours door to door.
- £600 for us to drive 1000 miles each way. A minimum of 16 hours driving each way, plus an overnight stop. ie at least 30 hours door to door.

We have driven a few times - but mainly in summer. As you say, it's a breeze "once you hit France." The main issue for us is that it takes at least eight hours for us to "hit France," after which we are still only just over 30% of the way to the Alps.
snow conditions
michaelbury17 wrote:

I would even say its an absolute pleasure, what with the clear roads & then the mountains - always my preferred option.

We are 170 miles from the chunnel, we try and do it in the middle of the night, as you once the other side it's part of the holiday, being a farmer I love looking at the countryside and the mrs says she enjoys driving in France so it works for both of us
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have tried to keep away from posting recently, but I thought this below might be bit of interest.

i only did a quick google search, so cannot verify if the figures are correct or not, but several hits came up with similar figures but they all seemed to be behind paywalls so could not read them properly.

for me, i know this may be stating the obvious, but it goes to show this is a global issue and needs every country to be on board with vaccinations before any non essential (including holidays and sporting fixtures!!) international travel should be taking place, until covid is fully under control. otherwise all that is going to happen is wave after wave of infections, which is going on at the moment.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-frances-blundering-covid-vaccination-campaign-is-seen-as-a-macron-fiasco-and-failure-of-ruling-elite-11609771674

"According to French health ministry numbers quoted by the COVIDTracker website, 516 persons had been vaccinated as of Jan. 1.

That is a stark contrast with the fast pace of vaccination in other European countries. In the U.K., where the campaign started two weeks before the rest of Europe, about a million people have already been inoculated.

More than 200,000 persons have received their shot in Germany, and more than 80,000 in Italy.

And Denmark, with less than 10% of France’s population, has already vaccinated nearly 50,000 persons — 100 times more."
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

- £330 return for 2 of us to fly to Geneva last year (including a coach transfer to Val Thorens). 9 or 10 hours door to door.
- £600 for us to drive 1000 miles each way. A minimum of 16 hours driving each way, plus an overnight stop. ie at least 30 hours door to door.

We have driven a few times - but mainly in summer. As you say, it's a breeze "once you hit France." The main issue for us is that it takes at least eight hours for us to "hit France," after which we are still only just over 30% of the way to the Alps.

Each to their own of course but my wife doesnt travel light and we usually take skis boots etc for others who fly , we love the drive but I can see that others dont
latest report
I'm planning to drive at Easter, but was gonna do an early am crossing, and drive through the day, to a hotel a couple of hours short of resort.

Do people actually recommend the overnight drive, arriving in resort on the morning of day 1???
snow conditions
Another reason for new title of this thread for 2021-22.......... Prof Whitty's words at Downing St press conference just now, about easing 'restrictions' once the UK population has been vaccinated: "....we might have to bring a few [ restrictions back] in next winter" because winter suits the virus.
Every winter there is a seasonal crisis in the NHS due to ever-increasing demand, flu, accidents etc. In 21/22 the extra covid burden hopefully won't be as much as in 20/21 but it won't be zero either. The big difference between 21/22 and 19/20 is that in december 2021, the authorities will feel able to impose travel bans and lockdowns. Some of them might have liked to do so in previous years, but it wasn't then politically possible.
latest report
I dont think politicians would get away with stopping travel again next year, while whitty might produce figures to show it might help the health service here or abroad there is far more to consider, mental health and the economy among them, that is why he is an advisor and the government take that advice and then balance that with other issues
latest report
The rate of Coronavirus in the UK is rocketing due to the "new" variant, but at least we have an ambitious vaccine programme. Cases in Europe are not as bad, but if/when the new variant takes off there cases will rocket there as well. I do not profess to be an expert, but since some cases of this new variant have already been recorded in various countries I would have thought it highly likely that cases in the rest of Europe will increase dramatically, unless they get the vaccination programme going pretty sharpish.
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
I'm planning to drive at Easter, but was gonna do an early am crossing, and drive through the day, to a hotel a couple of hours short of resort.

Do people actually recommend the overnight drive, arriving in resort on the morning of day 1???

I like it, but probably different proposition being 70 miles from eurotunnel entryway for me. Night driving also a very personal choice for significant distance, but I like driving towards the dawn as in March the light is changing from about 4.00am and very relaxed with not much traffic around.
Usually to somewhere like Tarantaise valley it's about 12 to 13 hrs door to door as average speed is consistent. We'd leave about 20.00hr UK and generally miss significant traffic close to destination so get the day in ski village whether skiing or not.

How would you approach UK section?
latest report
@RobinS, I read online somewhere today that there were a couple of cases of the new variant recorded in Colorado recently, with the people infected in a fairly rural location, with no history of foreign travel or contact of anyone else who has.

so, unfortunately it does not seem to be confined just to Europe.

I would assume that there are scientists around the globe researching the new variant, in how it has evolved and if it is a geographic or demographic issue?
snow report
@ski3, Well we are South Yorks, so maybe a 6pm depart...crossing about midnight???
snow conditions
FrediKanoute wrote:
You plug details into the NHS App/website (not sure which b/c my wife did it) and it gives you an indication of when you are expected to get the vaccination. 2 adults, late 40's, no known underlying health problems, expect to receive the vaccine in May to July 2022......
That's not an NHS app, it's a independent thing put together but a Polish IT company. They've made a number of assumptions about vaccination policy and the rate of vaccination and constructed an app around those assumptions. Might be right, might be garbage, depending on how accurate their assumptions are. But it's nothing to do with the NHS.
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
@ski3, Well we are South Yorks, so maybe a 6pm depart...crossing about midnight???

Probably not a bad run as you'd not get to M25 area too early. We are usually on there after 19.30hr on a Friday night southern section, and eurotunnel is always quiet then too as usually get "pushed" on whichever service is about to depart with it never usually at capacity, regardless of ticket bought.

Where are you considering for Easter?
latest report
@ski3, Booked for Ste Foy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy