Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most Picturesque Skiing Area in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
tangowaggon wrote:

Of course, the people in no1 on the list will influence the order of the rest of the list, if Girlfriend or wife is in the group, this will push scenery up the rankings

You won't have chance to admire the scenery if they are both on the trip
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mikefitz11 wrote:
Hi all,

New to this forum, been living in the US for the past decade and have recently moved back to this side of the Atlantic.

Been blessed with some incredible skiing in North America and I'm wondering is there anywhere in Europe that can compare with places like Lake Louise or Aspen?

Where would people vote as the most stunning ski area in Europe? I'm planning a trip, have only been to Chamonix in Europe before, which although beautiful, it was a lot of work to get around.

Aspen is OK but it's only really when you're looking toward the Maroon Bells or at the Top of Highland Bowl you're getting a Euro style view. Lake Louise (not the ski hill itself bt the surrounding area) is pretty special though.

Lots of euro places compete for scenery though - almost anywhere in Dolomites/Brenta Dollies, looking toward Wilder Kaiser , Matterhorn area, Monterosa, Wengen/Murren, Orelle, Stuben etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I found the view from the top of Lake Tahoe, out over dessert to be fairly surreal.
Another vote for St Gervais/Megeve.

Dont even think about Flaine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pruman wrote:

A few years ago I took an American colleague to the Zillertal, Austria. He'd only been to the Rockies before and he was blown away, especially the ride up from Finkenberg to Hintertux and especially Hintertux.

The US Rockies are a bit poo-poo because everything has such a high base so the peaks don't really stand out. But that makes places like the Tetons from Jackson Hole look so iconic because it's basically wide flat valley, Matterhorn type pointy peaks then potato fields on the other side.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Defo the Dollies but a mention to Gressoney and Monte Rosa!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sticking to the OP "Most Picturesque Skiing Area in Europe"

A good ten or so years ago I was on a ski-tour road trip with a Mountain Guide who has been round the block a few times and has skied all the major Alpine resorts (as well as further afield Arctic & Antarctica) and in my forty or so odd years (back then was thirty years) I've been to a fair few as well.

What makes a location is the lack of people/hordes as well as obviously terrain and to a certain degree local architecture etc and combine that with scenery.

So when we first ended up in the Queyras we were blown away, as I said at the time if Carlsberg created a ski location, or if Walt Disney had to design one then St Veran would be the result!

Saint-Véran, is the most elevated commune in France at 2.042m and is the third highest village in Europe and it's chocolate box postcard pretty

Then combine that with the three other valleys and ski stations of Ristolas Abries along with the Retour d'Est and it's a very special area.

Quite hard to get to for most non Frenchies and out of French Highs season it's empty, unlike the more popular areas that are being mentioned in this thread, which is a good gauge of how busy they can be Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So right about France.

Who would want to ski here:

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, the arguments over mate. The Dollies won. Get over it. Even JohnE agrees.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, I know. But the question makes me laugh.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cortina, especially the Cinque Torri sector.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They certainly look a lot better than Tamworth Snow Dome

http://youtube.com/v/zauoT3Cu2uk
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pruman,
Quote:

I'd throw Kitzbuhel into the ring as well - but mainly for the town centre.

Not only the town. The view of the Wilde Kaiser in the evening is just stunning. We often do the last run on Fleck with the sun beginning to set. Usually just stop and drink in the view for a couple of minutes. Good for my soul!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@mikefitz11, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Yes, another vote for me for the Dolomites. Switzerland has some amazing picturesque scenery too, from Zermatt with the iconic view of the Matterhorn, to the Jungfrau region resorts of Grindelwald, Wengen and Mürren with the Eiger, Mönch and Jungrau mountains, but for me the Dolomites take the crown. As regards where in the Dolomites then in my opinion if you base yourself anywhere on the Sella Ronda circuit then you have access to some amazing scenery. Very Happy

Can't argue with any of that. For various reasons, Les Deux Alpes is my skiing choice these days, but I think you have been spot on in replying the OP.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
3 areas that are prettier than anywhere else that I've been skiing-

1. Cortina d'Ampezzo, has everything that a valley town should have and then some!
2. Jungfrau region, Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren, simply stunning area.
3. Madonna di Campiglio / Dolomiti di Brenta, another beautiful area to explore.
latest report
Quote:

Cortina d'Ampezzo, has everything that a valley town should have and then some!

I suspect it is because I have been there too much in the summer but whenever I think of Cortina I think "traffic jam, big traffic jam".

One thing I have come to realise from this and similar discussions about the beauty of ski resorts - we split into two groups: those of us who look up from the resort ans see the beauty of the mountains and those that look down from the mountains and see the ugliness of the towns.
snow report
And of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Doesn't everywhere look beautiful with a metre or two of snow on it?
latest report
And to increase your choice, I would suggest Zell am See, with great views down to the lake and links to the whole of the Saalbach Ski Circus (as well as access to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier)...

Lots of great places!
latest report
Anywhere where there is good snow, good food and nice people is beautiful IMVHO when compared to a wet rainy winter scene anywhere, we love France because we can get by in French and there are some great views but the Dolomites are really nice too
snow report
My top 10

1 Cortina d'Ampezzo
2 Champery
3 Zermatt
4 La Grave
5 Courmayeur
6 Alagna
7 Val Gardena
8 Mürren
9 Hintertüx
10 Megeve
ski holidays
Woosh wrote:
My top 10

1 Cortina d'Ampezzo
2 Champery
3 Zermatt
4 La Grave
5 Courmayeur
6 Alagna
7 Val Gardena
8 Mürren
9 Hintertüx
10 Megeve

Won't go wrong with any of those
snow conditions
Always thought there was something very special about the plateaus of Bettmeralp and Riederalp

snow report
I've never been to Aspen, but the moment we turned the corner northwards onto the parkway from Banff up towards Lake Louise,
my jaw dropped with the shear beauty of this wilderness, not just the mountains but the steam coming from the river .. I think there are hot springs.

There is no doubt that the pinkish mountains of the Dolomites are stunning.
Looking down on the glaciers in Zermatt too.

I find standing in the centre of Chamonix and looking up at the glacier hanging above you (if its still there) awe inspiring.

I think its all great.. I live on the edge of the Fens. Sad
latest report
Absolute no contents - the Dolomites are the most spectacular ski area in the world.

Pretty much every area in the Dolomites has a view that would be the most photographed viewpoint in any other country in the world. To give an idea of thes scale of the cliffs and beauty, Civetta (Pre season bash) has a sheer cliff looking over the ski area that is larger than and more imposing than El Capitan (The most striking peak in The US) - and The Civetta peak isn't even the most spectacular view in the resort - Ski over the to the other side of the hill and the views of Pelmo are simply off the chart stunning.
The Brenta Dolomites (Madonna) and particularly when views from Paganella are also jaw dropping.
The jewel of the Dollies, however, is Cortina.
Cortina stand outs, even by Dolomite standards - because everywhere you go on the mountain is a viewpoint that would be the most photographed viewpoint in any other country in the world. There are just jaw dropping views everywhere.......

I'm now missing the Dollies so much I'm going to go and re-create them through the medium and ice cream and Cadbury's Flakes sticking out of the top....
ski holidays
@mikefitz11,

Hi Mike, I saw your post about most picturesque area in Europe. I am also new to Snowheads and also from North America--transplanted to Europe. I agree with those in this thread that speak of the beauty of the Dolomites--a favorite region of mine, but certainly not the only place with boundless beauty. Zermatt, of course, with arguably the most beautiful mountain in the world--the Matterhorn--has to rate up there, and some of the places in Norway, like Stranda, with skiing down towards the fjords, are magic. You should, perhaps, check out my books. I have skied in 650 ski resorts in 75 countries on all 7 continents, and the books put a fair amount of focus also on the beauty of the ski areas. There are so many amazing places that you would hardly imagine one could ski, like Morocco, Israel, Iran, Greece, Turkey, etc. You can get more info on the books on my website at www.skiingaroundtheworldbook.com. All the Best, Jimmy Petterson (jimmy@skiingaround.com)
latest report
Mrs Boardiek at Snowheads favourite picturesque ski area.

latest report
Hi BoardieK, This looks like the epic descent from Falzarego to Armentarola, quite close to the bottom. That is also one of my favorite descents in the world (for sheer beauty). My mother took me there for the first time many moons ago. Please check out my books, Skiing Around the World, Volumes I and II at www.skiingaroundtheworldbook.com. You will find them of great interest regarding not only the most beautiful places in the world to ski but much more. All the Best, Jimmy Petterson (jimmy@skiingaround.com)
snow report
Lofoten, Norway

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3395143&highlight=lofoten#3395143
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Themasterpiece,

Yes, I agree as well that Lofoten, as well as other parts of Norway, has some of the most spectacular scenery in the world for skiing. In my Skiing Around the World books, I have chapters about Narvik and about Stranda, Stryn, and a few other Norwegian locations along with some nice photos of the skiing with a fjord view. Check out the website at www.skiingaroundtheworldbook.com. and you can see a lot more, including previews of the book with photos, etc. All the Best, Jimmy
ski holidays
Jimmy13 wrote:
@mikefitz11,

Hi Mike, I saw your post about most picturesque area in Europe. I am also new to Snowheads and also from North America--transplanted to Europe. I agree with those in this thread that speak of the beauty of the Dolomites--a favorite region of mine, but certainly not the only place with boundless beauty. Zermatt, of course, with arguably the most beautiful mountain in the world--the Matterhorn--has to rate up there, and some of the places in Norway, like Stranda, with skiing down towards the fjords, are magic. You should, perhaps, check out my books. I have skied in 650 ski resorts in 75 countries on all 7 continents, and the books put a fair amount of focus also on the beauty of the ski areas. There are so many amazing places that you would hardly imagine one could ski, like Morocco, Israel, Iran, Greece, Turkey, etc. You can get more info on the books on my website at www.skiingaroundtheworldbook.com. All the Best, Jimmy Petterson (jimmy@skiingaround.com)

Welcome Jimmy

Stranda is stunningly beautiful

So too the views from the top of Narvik
ski holidays
Hi Mike, I have a chapter (with photos) in Volume I of Skiing Around the World about Narvik, and a separate chapter on Stranda. Also a nice one about the summer skiing in Stryn. Volume 2 has a new section on Norway with a lot of other Norwegian resorts. Fantastic to ski there in April--low key, not many people, only problem is bad and expensive food on the slopes. One needs to bring food in the backpack. wink All the best, Jimmy
latest report
Jimmy13 wrote:
Hi Mike, I have a chapter (with photos) in Volume I of Skiing Around the World about Narvik, and a separate chapter on Stranda. Also a nice one about the summer skiing in Stryn. Volume 2 has a new section on Norway with a lot of other Norwegian resorts. Fantastic to ski there in April--low key, not many people, only problem is bad and expensive food on the slopes. One needs to bring food in the backpack. wink All the best, Jimmy

When we stayed in hotels in Stranda and Narvik you were expected to brown bag lunch from the breakfast buffet.

Result.

Just a hot drink and a beer on the mountain.
snow conditions
Good plan. Sounds like you are a true ski bum. Jimmy
snow conditions
You're all talking nonsense, everybody knows the correct answer is Glenshee.
ski holidays
@Roguevfr,

Well, I must say that my travels and my book project has also taken me to Glenshee and the other ski resorts in Scotland. I actually had a fantastic run on Flytrap in Glencoe, and have included a full-page photo in my book from there, as I, too, considered that to be one of the most beautiful places I had skied. Also included is a full page photo of my friend Klaus, skiing naked down a narrow gully with snow in Glenshee. There was not much snow left there and the lifts were closed, so with no people and a rare sunny day, we hiked up, stuffed our clothing in our backpacks and descended in lovely corn snow in the buff. See skiingaroundtheworldbook.com. All the Best, Jimmy Petterson (jimmy@skiingaround.com)
ski holidays
In Austria, definitely Wilder Kaiser and I love the area above Westerndorf off the Ki West Gondola (almost fairy tale like) after or when it snows.

Otherwise Dolomites!! Cinque Torri after heavy snowfall is magical. Parts of Alpe di siusi and Alta Badia also lovely. I also love the Monte Seura area above Monte pana and up to Piz Sella. Plus anywhere from Piz Sella across to Col Rodella. And then Im forgetting from Dantercepies to Colfosco!!
snow report
Quote:

You should, perhaps, check out my books. I have skied in 650 ski resorts in 75 countries on all 7 continents, and the books put a fair amount of focus also on the beauty of the ski areas. There are so many amazing places that you would hardly imagine one could ski, like Morocco, Israel, Iran, Greece, Turkey, etc. You can get more info on the books on my website at www.skiingaroundtheworldbook.com. All the Best, Jimmy Petterson (jimmy@skiingaround.com)

Mrs TT has bought me them for Christmas. She's hidden them somewhere, because I'm forbidden from looking at them until Christmas morning. Little Angel
ski holidays
Is Jimmy13 actually Gilderoy Lockhart? wink
ski holidays
DB wrote:
They certainly look a lot better than Tamworth Snow Dome

http://youtube.com/v/zauoT3Cu2uk

What a beautiful video. Thank you so much for link,
We went to San Candido last year and discovered Plan de Corones and the 3 peaks,
The 3 peaks are behind beautiful, the view are magical especially in the evening,
I am feeling nostalgic now,
ski holidays
Dolomites probably offer the most beautiful views overall, combined with good skiing opportunities. We've stayed in Santa Cristina and if I go again, I would stay there again as it has the quickest access to some of the best slopes and is also on the sella ronda.

The tree line in Europe is lower than in the US, so most good skiing in the alps is above the trees...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy