Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@snowlamb, I think you are meant to get up at 4:00, open your new toys and play with them until 10:00. I cannot remember what happens after that except that it was boring. Is there a Top of the Pops special or something on TV?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see from todays email from Les Arcs that the funicular and navettes will now run until 21:00. It may appear a small extension but it means that an evening slap up meal in the Taj-I Mah in 2000 looks like an early dinner option as a birthday treat. As well as more mundane things like an extended shopping trip in Bourg and possibly (just possiby) connections with the trains
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, Have you eaten in the Taj, any good?

We go every holiday with good intentions to eat out but after a day boarding, bath, pj's on and looking out the window in 2000 to, in January often -20c, the enthusiasm wanes...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thefatcontroller, No I haven't apart from their promotional do in London a few years ago. There are two reasons for this:1/ they are very expensive and 2/ the last navette leaves to early to get back home.

We usually eat out a couple times each trip, but never grandly - somewhere plain and simple like the Cairn, or a fondue at the Arpette before a moonlight ski home.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thefatcontroller, The bar and restaurant owners that I've spoken to have been told to gear up for opening as normal, although the way the numbers look over there at the moment I'd have to agree that December is looking unlikely.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well opening up at the normal time at least, not as normal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, Ooh I remember that evening in London, Loved it (I still have the USB thumb drive with the glittery bits... and have subsequently booked the venue for other events because it was worked well). As a result, always intended to go. But like TFC, once you're settled, it always seems a bit of a faff.
For posh do's (ie wedding anniversary, often coincides with a ski trip) we tend to use Table de Lys in 1950.

@wills_h, I think my contacts are expecting take-away only. They do own 40+ restaurants across the Alps, so maybe they got some inside intel. I hope they're wrong.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Arctic Roll, Me too, if only for their sake. Can't see that many of the smaller businesses will survive if they have another severely impacted season.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arctic Roll, I also still have the USB thumb drives and the pens. One's wife, son and one collected one each. The snacks we had there were lovely. And yes we are thinking of a celebration for my 70th birthday.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Press release from French PM today: Those included at his consulting this morning, apparently included head of France Montagne (used to be our ASL director in 1950) and the Chairman of CDA, and elected reps of Savoie and Haute-Savoe

PRESS RELEASE

Consultation of stakeholders and elected representatives of mountain resorts

The Prime Minister today wished to consult the main professional organisations and elected representatives concerned on the opening of mountain resorts for the Christmas holidays.
In addition to the sporting or outdoor activities offered by the mountain resorts, the life of the resorts themselves at Covid-19 is a matter of particular concern for the Government.
At this stage, this issue is not yet clear-cut, as the two options are still being considered given the uncertainties about the evolution of the health situation.
The meeting made it possible to examine more precisely the conditions for the implementation of the different scenarios, be it the definition of a specific sanitary protocol or, in the event of closure, the modalities of economic and social support for the actors, companies and seasonal workers.
In view of the preparation time needed to allow for a possible opening for the end-of-year holidays, a decision will be taken within the next ten days. It will be made in the light of the evolution of the health situation, which must be the essential criterion, and taking care to be as consistent as possible with our neighbouring countries.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arctic Roll, so basically, no decision?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any info on this gratefully received.
Watching avidly - Eurotunnel booked mid Dec. -all depends on whether a) they will let us in & b) once in, are 'things' open/running.
I can't think UK will prevent people going - providing they are willing to quarantine on return if still necessary.
Hopefully - if things are allowed - people respond appropriately & keep themselves to themselves ) always assuming lifts are managed to allow this).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kapt, we have a week held at our apartment in January but the wife starts work on vaccine roll out next week so isolation for her not an option on return, not an issue for me but she will likely be vaccinated by then anyway. We are watching & waiting, would like to go as I reckon it will be very quiet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holding on with fingernails to my Tunnel crossing on the 18th Dec......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One thing to watch is capacity in the local hospitals. At the moment the word on the rue seems to be that they are very busy and could well do without a load of broken skiers. They have established a big covid ward at Bourg and are shipping patients in from the local large cities.
latest report
News but no news.
snow report
At least we've been told that we can travel by Boris, that's a start Smile
snow report

epic looking sky from the snow park this evening
snow conditions
If the French are going to follow the lead of Switzerland then the resorts will open as planned. Not the best move the Swiss have made. They were so careful at the start of Covid and it felt really safe. Now they have allowed the resorts to open since October the Covid levels have gone crazy. Not just because of skiing for sure, but it could not have helped. If you are going through Geneva be really well protected. It is still the worst hit place in Switzerland. Oh joy!! Crying or Very sad Just to add, I went up in the mountains at the weekend. Took one look at the lift queues and went for a hike instead. I think people just stop thinking about Covid when they are going skiing. Nobody I have seen social distances in the queues and you are too near each other on the lifts, in the cable car's and on the gondolas. I hope you have a great ski those that do go out before Christmas if Les Arcs does open, but for me I have decided for the first time in 20 plus years to wait until January.
snow conditions
Now following closely with everything crossed for January.
latest report
@snowcrazy, It's good to hear from you again and see you are still keen on skiing.

I have sdaly decided to also wait until January or maybe Febuary. Hopefully in 2 months the vacine roll out programme will have started.
ski holidays
A glimmer of good news. Assuming we are allowed to travel, this from the train operators today: one extremely cheap train per day between Paris:BSM (and the interim stations).

Quote:

Tickets from 10€ to go to the mountains
From 17 December 2020 to 29 March 2021, OUIGO will set up a new seasonal line to reach the ski slopes from Île-de-France. SNCF low-cost trains will serve Lyon, Grenoble, Albertville, Moûtiers - Salins - Brides-les-Bains, Aime-la-Plagne and Bourg-Saint-Maurice from the CDG2 TGV Airport station and the Marne-la-Vallée Chessy TGV station.

17,000 tickets will be available every week on board these OUIGO trains. Adult tickets will be offered from 10€ one way while tickets for children under 12 years old will be available at a fixed price of 5€. If you want to benefit from low prices to reach the ski slopes, you should know that OUIGO tickets for this new line will be on sale from 19 November 2020.

Please note: to transport your skis, opt for the extra luggage option at 5€. Ski boots are admitted free of charge on board the trains.

Source: https://www.kelbillet.com/blog/ouigo-tgv/ouigo-les-stations-de-ski-desservies-des-10e-a-partir-de-decembre-2020/

Now I'll admit - following the link to the website to look at the timetable, it ain't that great for us Brits, unless you want to spend some extra evenings in Paris, But, well, you know... €10 FFS!
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, trains are out for us this year as it would mean too long in masks, easier just fly and get in a hire car. Nice prices though!!
snow report
I've always thought some of the slopes in Les Arcs were steeper than in some other resorts but I've had a look at the OpenSkiMap.org site and extracted the following data
Route Grade Distance Slope
Mont-Blanc Blue Distance: 3238mAscent: 2mDescent: 615m Average Slope: 11° (20%)Max Slope: 26° (49%)
Écureuils Black Distance: 1551mDescent: 438m Average Slope: 17° (30%)Max Slope: 29° (55%)
Refuge Black Distance: 1034mDescent: 297m Average Slope: 17° (31%)Max Slope: 36° (72%)
Rêches Red Distance: 2290mDescent: 595m Average Slope: 15° (27%)Max Slope: 33° (64%)
Comborcière Black Distance: 1850mAscent: 14mDescent: 485m Average Slope: 15° (27%)Max Slope: 31° (60%)
Grand Col Red Distance: 1597mAscent: 3mDescent: 336m Average Slope: 12° (22%)Max Slope: 32° (62%)
Dou de l'Homme Black Distance: 1244mAscent: 422m Average Slope: 20° (37%)Max Slope: 39° (81%)
Clapet Blue Distance: 1048mAscent: 9mDescent: 200m Average Slope: 11° (19%)Max Slope: 26° (48%)
Arolles Red Distance: 1520mAscent: 6mDescent: 332m Average Slope: 13° (22%)Max Slope: 24° (45%)
Rouelles Black Distance: 1301mDescent: 455m Average Slope: 21° (37%)Max Slope: 27° (52%)

You'll notice that the red Reches is a tad steeper and steeper than the black Rouelles (They used to be black and red respectively) Dou de l'Homme is very steep with an average slope of 20 degrees and a maximum of 38. It feels about correct. Though Comborciere feels steeper than 31 degrees and certainly steeper than Golf.
snow report
@johnE, have to say, there are a couple of pitches on Roulles which I’d say were steeper than 27 degrees. Neither of the pitches are very long, on what is a fairly easy black (although often glorious in bad weather), so perhaps don’t register on that mapping website?
snow report
@rob@rar, I like Rouelle - it's on our way home but it can be very varied. some days big soft moguls, some days heavy slush. Yes there are a few steep bit but if they bashed it it would certainly be no steeper than say Golf.

There is always some difficulty in calculating slopes from digital elevation models (I used to it for a living) with some of the problems coming from the horizontal sampling spacing with short sharp descents being averaged out. The other major problem is that the height data comes from the SRTM model of the Earths surface. With this the height is determined from space using radar. There is some noise in the data and where adjacent mesaurements are greatly different this can through up spurious measurments on slope. For example the maximum slopes on both Cachette and Vagere are 73 degrees, almost vertical which is clearly not true.

My experience is still that Reches is still very steep for a red. I tried to cycle down it one summer and gave up scared.
ski holidays
Quote:
My experience is still that Reches is still very steep for a red. I tried to cycle down it one summer and gave up scared.
As an experienced mountain biker, I can confirm that some of the easiest, stand up and go ski descents of the Alps transform into vertical, walls of death when you descend them by bike... Skullie
ski holidays
@johnE, @mountainaddict, board or skis, Reches is the one run that I really hate in Les Arcs. The bit from grand renard to the top of Derby, I’m just glad to be alive every time I’ve done it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Reches is the one run that I really hate in Les Arcs.

It used to be really nasty with lots of stones and I mean lots of stones but since they installed the snow machine at the top it has improved immensely. Though it is still worth while to wait a minute or two at teh top to get a clearish run without too many bodies in the way.

What are other peoples most hated runs. Personally I hate Edelweiss. And it's not much of a flower either
ski holidays
For all those that were still hoping for another chance to get skiing. Following the Presidents speech, it was confirmed today that ski lifts will not open before January in France. Interesting that from 15 December they will allow people to go to the mountains to enjoy the fresh winter air, but no bars etc. will be open for inside service and lifts will remain closed. But hey, you can go walking in the snow or other activities.

This sounds like a nightmare for the police. Good luck to the authorities. All those kids hiking up the pistes, building ramps and sledge runs. snowHead No one to regulate what will be going on. What about those going for a ski on the closed pistes! Toofy Grin The French PM said today people can still go and enjoy themselves. I think I know a few people that will be putting on their skins. wink

The great outdoors awaits!

Sorry to say I think the French will need extra space in the hospitals after all! If they are doing this they might as well open the lifts and have ski patrol helping out. Crying or Very sad

So now all those that had travel booked, yes you can go to the mountains, but NO you cannot ski, at least in a supervised manner! And will the hotel etc. have to give a refund if you do not use your booking even if the stations lifts are closed. The village is open, just not the ski lifts. A difficult decision for everyone!

I think I will stick to my plan and wait until January 2021! Have fun those who do head out and please do share your posts and photos here or over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.
snow report
Just some nice pictures from today to lighten the mood...

latest report
@thefatcontroller, beautiful as it is it didn't lighten my mood at all.

I had an email from Les Arcs this morning basically asking us to just come to the resort, breathe the mountain air and gaze at the snow. They are not sure when or if they will be openning this season. All the decsions are out of their hands.
snow conditions
@johnE, yes got that email too. Their way of trying to persuade people not to cancel bookings but for us Les Arcs = lifts open.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
@johnE, yes got that email too. Their way of trying to persuade people not to cancel bookings but for us Les Arcs = lifts open.

Did they say 'out about getting there? - ie. Will you have to fill out their required forms(2) including having a 'special reason' to travel. I can (hopefully) vouch not to be showing symptoms, but don't fall into any of their categories for travel. Not sure if that is still applicable from Dec17th onwards??
latest report
As I understand it, no forms will be required after the 15th December..Unless it all changes again.
ski holidays
And today some fresh snow on the ground, all the way to Bourg I've been told.
latest report
Anyone know if the Funni will still open for Christmas? I know that it was already delayed due to some maintenance work required, but just wondered if they'll plan on opening it or if they'd consider it a lift and it'll remain closed?
snow report
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2780395955569864
ski holidays
Seems to be an impromptu snowpark being formed at the bottom of the 1800 lifts
latest report
wills_h wrote:
Seems to be an impromptu snowpark being formed at the bottom of the 1800 lifts

I did watch them, they were having way too much fun as I was bored on a conf call!

Snowing nicely out there today with more on the way. Cruel...

https://www.bergfex.com/les-arcs-bourg-saint-maurice/wetter/prognose/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy