Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@red_dragon, last year, despite being apartment owners in Arc1950, I stayed with a group in Base Camp Lodge in Bourg. We had the van with us (to transfer from airport) so as well as going to Les Arcs also skied Rosiere, Tignes, Ste Foy, and La Plagne - all within 30- 40mins drive.

Base Camp has the advantages of being:

1)Apartment type accommodation with kitchens, as well as hotel rooms - although I'd recommend you get a 6 bed place for 4, if you know what I mean. (It's cheap as chips so not an issue) - so of course will do any number of days
2) Close to the funicular 5 - 10 mins walk
3) designed for snowsports enthusiasts / MTB / trekkers - you have lockers all as part of the deal
4) Close to the Lidl
5) Has on-site bar & restaurant which is quite a hub at the weekends, slightly quieter during the week. Also within easy access is hu.ski the takeaway people (and boy are they good - ship in a lot of stuff from Cook! if you know that UK outlet) and the Micro-brewery / bar 2 mins down the hill, as well as all the usual town outlets and restaurants.
6) This will only be its second season, so still in relatively good nick.

We found it excellent to be based at the bottom of the hill: - not quite as simple to get everyone out in time as slopeside, but sooo much cheaper, and easier to access a variety of resorts. I'd say it is perfect from what you've described.

(Note: I am not connected with BCL in any way - just enjoyed the opportunity to try something different)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the feedback folks

@Arctic Roll. Base camp Lodge was on the short list so good to hear a personal recommendation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The glacier cam is back on...

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone got any idea as to what they are up to in Arc 2000?

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Wonder if they plan on paving that central area? When there's no snow it's a bit unsightly, especially when compared to the central area of 1950. Investing in the appearance there would make a big difference to the 'look & feel' of the place during the summer season, with lots of outdoor eating and drinking in that pedestrianised part of the village.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Wonder if they plan on paving that central area? When there's no snow it's a bit unsightly, especially when compared to the central area of 1950. Investing in the appearance there would make a big difference to the 'look & feel' of the place during the summer season, with lots of outdoor eating and drinking in that pedestrianised part of the village.

Yes, its intriguing but also encouraging to see them investing in the area. Lets hope we see them in January.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller wrote:
Lets hope we see them in January.
I'm hoping it will be covered by 2m of snow wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I often go out to Les Arcs this week of the year ostensibly to decorate or do some work on the apartment but invariably end up just going for walks or shopping (since we have a car and access is easy we stock up witht he complete winter's suplly of kitchen roll, toilet paper, beer and wine.) Due to travel restrictions we haven't gone this year.

Just had a look at the livecams https://en.lesarcs.com/livecams.html and I am afraid it looks horrendous at the moment, heavy snow is falling and I just watched someone sledging down from Eden Arc to the Vagere chair lift. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arctic Roll, BCL sounds interesting, assume/hope not full of young party goers with loud music????

I've got two x 6 day lift passes carried over I want to try and use!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone happen to know if the over 75s still get a free lift pass? I might be being blind but I can't find anything about it on the website and the discount pass is for those up to and including 74, asking for my dear old dad.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, There were plenty of youngsters there - but that's "youngsters" from the PoV of a group of 55+ y.o. men...
However we found it pleasant, lively for sure but not overly loud; live music at the weekends ceased at a reasonable time, and the rooms well insulated from noise from the very large bar / restaurant area. Meals were good - and not always cheap, so for locals eating there it was either the well-heeled or seemingly a purposeful visit.

Meanwhile, despiste all the planning and preparation still going on according to my contacts up in 1950, looks like we're going to have to wait a while before travelling, just like all of the French resorts Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@wills_h, A good question, a very good question. Since they won't sell you a pass when you are 75 or greater I assume that the passes are either free or old people are banned from skiing Sad

May I suggest you ask the lift pass company on https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/contact for a definative answer, especially as to how to actually get a pass
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, He's just called me to say he will get a free pass when we are there, he has to go to one of the lift pass offices with his passport and ask for one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wills_h, good news. I'd hate to be banned when I reach 75
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
He was getting a bit worried they'd put the age up for the free pass again, he's been chasing it since he was 65 I think. Every year he thought he'd get a free pass they'd put the age up again.
snow conditions
wills_h wrote:
He was getting a bit worried they'd put the age up for the free pass again, he's been chasing it since he was 65 I think. Every year he thought he'd get a free pass they'd put the age up again.

Ditto - been watching/waiting for more years than care to tell. Have decided to give it a miss this year, but hope to return next year when it is all back to normal. Puzzled
Hopefully the age limit will still be the same.
snow report
@johnE, @wills_h, @kapt, chasing the free pass as it moves up the years is what makes sure I keep fit!

It's always been something to aspire to: moving the goalposts, means it continues in that vein Smile
ski holidays
A long long time ago we were having a meal in a restaurant in Arc 1600. It was very crowded with no free tables. Since there was only 3 of us the waiter asked if we minded if a single person could sit with us. He was an elderly Pole who said that he rented an apartment in a ski resort every winter for the whole of the season and used his free lift pass. He could barely walk but he could ski. I admired him.

Yet, for some reason I never do it. I have my own place and keep retiring (I keep getting offered more work every time I retire) but somehow the prospect of spending the whole season skiing never quite appeals. Probably cos I need a rest after every 2 week trip.

Keep keeping fit @Arctic Roll, you will eventually get there, though I suspect the limit will be 90 when you do.
snow report
Still can't figure out all this work in Arc 2000, though I am inclined to offer my remote project management skills for a small fee as I spend a lot of time watching them bored on conference calls.

snow report
@thefatcontroller, Sure looks like they are paving that whole area. I can't think why else they would be rolling it.
latest report
Grassing the area to the left ?? (improving their 'Green' credentials..)
snow report
albob wrote:
Grassing the area to the left ?? (improving their 'Green' credentials..)

It sits under about 2 foot of snow 50% of the year?

@wills_h, can't figure it out, must be summer planning work?
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, I think paving it would mean that the area would be a bit more useful for longer periods, I would imagine it turns into a muddy quagmire for quite a while of the year
snow report
Does it look like soil to the left hand side of the photo, rather than hardcore forming a base for paving it (which is what seems to be in the area closest to the camera)?

I think the turf should survive being under snow for the winter if it is looked after during the summer months. The Arc 1800 golf course looks lush in places, and while it's not as high as 2000m it is covered by snow in the winter months.
ski holidays
On our Arc 1950 owners' website, I asked the question - "what's happening in 2000?", and got this reply from one of our French owners:

The previous mayor (Michel Giraudy) has been voted a budget to build a road in ARC 2000, which is what we see from your photo. This is to provide a better view for the tourist when they arrive in ARC 2000. Previously, it was kind of messy and everyone was parking everywhere.

Also, there were a few issues with all the restaurant’s terrace. Indeed, none of them had the same wood nor colours that was making a poor visual for our tourists. Also, no one knew who had to maintain it for some part (is it the restaurant A or B? The terrace belongs to restaurant B but on the map, it should be the restaurant A that should be paying for it, and so on…). Michel Giraudy decided to break everything and to build a new one paid by the mayor town. All ARC 2000′ restaurant will get new terrace for the next season.

Here is what is going on.
No Tour de France yet and I believe that neither Bourg-St-Maurice or Les Arcs will be hosting the Tour de France for the next 6 years. We have a new mayor in here, which is very careful about the environment. As an example, there will have no more fireworks in Les Arcs for the tourist since it is not eco friendly.

So there you have it - a Bourg initiative to make things look better for the summer, and better-defined ownership of terraces (and replacement) for the winter.
But not -as someone speculated! - copying the Meribel / Courchevel bike link over the high mountains as seen in this year's TdF!
snow report
@Arctic Roll, thanks, nice to see them investing in the area.
snow conditions
"No more fireworks for the tourists" I used to enjoy those when I could come out for New Year but I suppose times change and it's quite correct they aren't very eco friendly. I wonder how that will go down with the Follie in 1800 I saw pictures of the amount of confetti that was picked up from around their site after the snow melted in the spring. Definitely not very eco at all! Although I did see something on Facebook about them opening a gourmet shop instead this year as they don't think they'll be able to do the twice weekly big parties.
latest report
@wills_h, it sounds as if it is firework displays supported by the town for the tourists that are being scrapped - but not the 14th July or national commemoration day (think Nov 11th for us). So if there are local fireworks paid for by local businesses, say NYE at the various Arcs villages, I think they'll still be on (unless there is a green wave that follows the mayor's lead).

Supposedly this reduction will save the town €70,000 a year as well as being environmentally friendly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good news, fireworks suck. Also I hate the Follie. Man I got old.
ski holidays
Just a quick update. Not sure if this will still be correct when the season starts as work is ongoing. But right now they say the Funi going up from Bourg will not be open for the first week and will begin on 19 December approx. This is due to urgent safety repairs.

With Covid still a big problem in France, I think this was the last thing I wanted to hear so for me. I will not start skiing until January after the busy period.

They have said a bus will run instead from Bourg to Arc 1600. From previous experience. Queuing up, going on the bus and hanging about at the end of the day to come back home. Not for me! With the Covid risk so high. Just not worth it. Those that are keen can drive up! It would be a lot safer. Sad

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 19-11-20 11:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@snowcrazy, I'm an optimist but just can't see much opportunity for UK visitors to do a January trip at the moment. We have apartment held but not booking travel for now. We can't do isolation when back as need to be available for work. Things are changing quick so we will wait & see.
snow conditions
On a more traditional note, skiing for the start of the season might be out anyway, judging from the weather forecast
latest report
@snowcrazy, Seems that it'll stay open a little longer once it is up & running, last one back down at 9 rather than 8..
snow conditions
Spies on the ground are saying that they believe restaurants won't be able to open until 15th January earliest (except for take-away). As major players in the hospitality market in and around Bourg and beyond, they are 'hoping for a good February and March'. Battening down the hatches for now though.

Also they suspect that given the current stresses on ICU beds in the Tarantaise (as in- they're almost already full) adding on a ski season with its ability to break people, will be severely discouraged by Central Government for the foreseeable. Announcement next week apparently.

Full of the joys, me.
ski holidays
I am slowly coming around to not being able to go to Les Aecs over Christmas/New Year. I have to say I'm not looking forward to Christmas in the UK, but the thought of getting out again at the end of January fills me with joy.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 19-11-20 20:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I've not given up all hope yet.....But it's dwindling
snow report
Also thinking that my usual December trip is looking less and less likely. I'll keep my Eurotunnel booking for the time being, but I've just made a hospital appointment for the first day I'm supposed to be in Les Arcs on the assumption that I'll still be in the UK.

Christmas at home will be very odd. First time in maybe 20 years. Is it compulsory to watch the Queen?
snow conditions
Quote:

Is it compulsory to watch the Queen?

Playing bohemian raspody Smile

Why is dinner for one so popular?
http://youtube.com/v/BN9edpdCH7c
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

Christmas at home will be very odd. First time in maybe 20 years. Is it compulsory to watch the Queen?

First in 15 years for us. Not entirely sure I know how to ‘do Christmas’ at home any more
snow conditions
@snowlamb, plus 1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy