Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@snowcrazy, I take it that you took the bus up to Pre Esprit, otherwise that is a hell of a skin from Bourg?
I take it that you are affected by the persistent weak layer that is troubling most of the alps this year?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just had a look at the Les Arcs live cams. There are a lot of people about. A few people walking up the slope with snowboards but mainly packed with children sledging. There was, however, a group with bicycles that piqued my interest.

To my amazement someone has even rented out our apartment for next week.

I wonder when I will next see the apartment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, I appreciate the slopes are quiet but still surprised how many can be seen on the webcams.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Up in 1950 we're seeing some pickup through the French holidays - nowhere near our normal 98% occupancy of course, but maybe ~15% - and heavily discounted. Even so, given the lack of lifts and piste skiing, that's a start.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some dramatic images on the webcams this evening

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arctic Roll, are the lifts running? What is the guidance regarding lifts/resorts opening?

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210202-france-to-keep-ski-lifts-shut-throughout-february-holidays

Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimastaaah wrote:
@Arctic Roll, are the lifts running? What is the guidance regarding lifts/resorts opening?

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210202-france-to-keep-ski-lifts-shut-throughout-february-holidays

Puzzled

No lifts are open and I can't see any hope of them opening this season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimastaaah,
@thefatcontroller mirrors my own views. The domain is doing a huge job in promoting alternatives to lift access skiing - new maps, touring pistes, snow bikes, sledding, walking /snowshoeing - see for example everything at https://en.lesarcs.com/ and each village is putting on its own range of Covid Secure 'animations' to provide alternative entertainment.
Obviously the shopping / bars /restaurants are still following government decree, and there are a few take-aways open. The 1950 Huit a huit is open for February, so no need to go to BSM for supplies.

But I don't see the lifts opening any time soon.

The funicular on the other hand has just been declared a "non-lift", and so is reopening for the school holiday season, and we're waiting on news on the Dahu and Cabriolet - intra/inter village links. So I think if you like the mountains per se and peace and quiet, there's plenty to attract you.

Or rather, attract the French - cos we Brits ain't getting there any time soon.

Cashwise, there is some serious pain - for commercants, for the tour operators, the town, the lift company, the workers, for individual apartment owners ( especially those with mortgages - although I understand there is a French government initiative to support those payments when there is no rental income - banks to suspend loans etc. ).
But, as per JohnE above, there are some, limited, opportunities to recoup a fraction of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

http://youtube.com/v/JXY90hhjL8M

The Funi
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another 'Meet the Tourist Board & Council reps" session tomorrow evening (26/2/21). Last one was quite instructive I felt.

Subject: What is going to happen in Les Arcs after 6th March?
Time: 6:30 CET / 5:30 UK

Link here for anyone interested in listening along: https://zoom.us/j/99213761066?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arctic Roll, Time to start the 2022 thread! Sadly season is over for UK based folks?

Onwards to next year, still surprised at the number of people on webcams.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Planning ahead a season (or two)... and exploring the idea of living in Bourg St Maurice, to ski in Les Arcs. In past winters I've seen Bourg's small 'round robin' bus trundling around (La Ronde) and a bit of googling suggests it's on a 30 minute schedule. Would any Les Arcs aficionados know whether you are allowed to use this bus wearing ski boots and carrying skis? Thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

@Arctic Roll, Time to start the 2022 thread! Sadly season is over for UK based folks?

Sadly with the introduction of "exit visas" now required to leave the UK I think the season is really over for us. All I am looking forward to now is some summer mountaineering and an early morning trip or two upto the Tignes glacier in the summer. (Actually not bad things to look forward to.)
Quote:

In past winters I've seen Bourg's small 'round robin' bus trundling around (La Ronde) and a bit of googling suggests it's on a 30 minute schedule.

There is a small bus that services the town going past the funicular, railway station etc. I cannot see why it would not allow ski boots or skis, but all I've actually see use it are people going to the station with luggage, including skis. These busses are massive compared to the "milk floats" that carry dozens of skiers around Zermatt.

ps I hope you don't mean the road trains that truddle around during the summer months
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bobski62, I would agree with @johnE re the buses. Only ever got on it after changing up high to go shopping in Bourg but people do come off the funicular onto them. Won’t be issue.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @johnE, @thefatcontroller. I've left a message with the Mairie to ask the same question too (it looks like they run the service). I did wonder whether when they started to charge for parking at the bottom of the funicular it might have been to fund a subsidy for the shuttle bus, which seemed to start up about the same time. The Seez - BSM - Landry route in the meantime seems to have been chopped.

For the coming winter (21/22) we are homing in on Espace Killy again which I have not really finished exploring (will I ever...?). But longer term, I get the feeling that Bourg may be a very 'liveable' place with Les Arcs on your doorstep and EK (along with many other resorts) a relatively easy drive when roads are clear. And in round numbers, accommodation costs seem to be along the lines of 50% more space for 50% less money, compared to Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
Just had the update from the tourist office - closing for the season on 6th April. Hardly a surprise - keeping those pistes open for the few people who tour up to Col de la Chai must be extremely expensive on a per user basis.
Inter-village buses, Funicular and tourist office in 1800 all close down end of play 5th April. And they are cancelling all Easter 'animations' in Bourg after last night's government announcement.

Seems like the bike park is opening on 4th June though - so maybe a glimmer of hope for those renting out their apartments to get some early bird bookings.

Sigh.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, had my 2nd jab yesterday, if France stops squabbling then chance they may be vaccinated and open for 2022? rolling eyes
latest report
'23..................
snow conditions
Time to get ready for the Summer season! As I know some people on this forum do come out in the summer. Now that the winter season is officially over, even if for UK skiers it never really got started. Here is my update for the summer season which is now fast approaching.

This year the new planned date for the opening of the lifts in Les Arcs is 5 June 2021.

Yes amazing, almost a whole month early. Ok, mostly just at the weekends, but still a very good move after the lifts remaining closed since last summer.

If you are interested in the details of what has been going on during the winter months in Les Arcs. Please go to the Les Arcs Winter page. All the info about the past winter season and also how I managed to still ski the winter areas can be found there. I know for many of you this will be to depressing so I will not post the details here.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

To help with your planning for the summer months. Here are the main links you will need. Please check these links out for all the details for Les Arcs lift times etc and activities this summer.

https://en.lesarcs.com/bikepark.html
(This is the link for the lift opening details starting from the 5 June 2021.)

https://en.lesarcs.com/summer-sport-activities.html
(This is the main link for all activities in Les Arcs from 26 June 2021.)

Other news is that the new Vallandry lift has started to be built and they are also working on the Funicular as I type. Fingers crossed the Funi will be open for the summer season on time.

As they will be working on the new Vallandry lift all summer, the Grizzly lift will be open instead. Just a little hike up from the main shops in Vallandry.
I wonder will the Mont Blanc bar open this summer as it is just below the lift. If any staff read this please let us know. It would be a good place for people to stop for a drink or even food if you are serving when heading to the lift.

Various other building projects are still continuing around the different stations of the area this summer. Some pistes are being improved, they have to put the earth they dig out somewhere! and the water canons programme from last season is being completed.

Fingers crossed everything is ready for next winter season when the lifts will finally re-open!!

I will post again when I have any more news.

Stay safe, Covid is still with us.

I hope to see at least a few people this summer.

The mountain biking and hiking should be good. Now we just need the weather to play ball! Very Happy
ski holidays
Just a short update. Lifts are now approved to open as planned this summer, but with limited capacity at first. See my earlier post for details. Also see following link for updates of the new Vallandry lift.

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4724 from ls plagne thread.
latest report
Looking at the webcams it looks as if preparations are being made for the summer season. The sun is shining today and the wild flowers are in bloom. This is a lovely time of the year in the Alps before the full heat of summer arrives.

There are plenty of people walking about who clearly look as if they are on holiday. The lifts are still closed and there is still a lot of snow about, which will make mountain biking and high level walking difficult . However, I wish I was there.

Having read in the national newspapers about paying thousands of pounds for a caravan park in the UK I see that 2 rooms apartments are available in August for just over 300€. I'm just hoping we can get out for a holiday this summer.
ski holidays
Load of Sheep on the 1800 webcam!! (15.00 today) ; Nice holiday for them as well Wink
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, at first sight, it seems the Vallandry bubble is a simple 1 for 1 replacement, starting and finishing exactly where the current chair goes - do you read it the same?
snow report
@albob, I noticed that as well. It appears the French (and Italian) husbandry of sheep is different from the UK. They keep them in a enclosure during the day and walk them as a flock to the new pastures every day. I'm not sure when they are milked. One day during the summer I was walking down the Rouelles piste when I came across the flockwith the sheppard just sitting on a rock watching them with his dog. The sheep keep the grass in check

ps when walking the Rouelles piste is very steep.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, It does look like a one to one replacement with 2 slight modifications:

Now you will have to take your skis off if you accidently ski past Grizzly

The plan of the top station shows a collection of tapis skieurs which I take to mean moving carpets (my first reading was Trapis skieurs - beer brewing monks on a ski holiday) So they are moving the beginners area from the top of the Peissey lift and I assume the facility to descend on that lift. At over 2100m it may be an excellent beginners area that they can now access with ease in the telecabine. That and the very slow 2300 chair lift makes it one of the best beginners areas I can think of anywhere. It may also remove some congestion from Peissey by taking all the beginners to Vallandry.

It may not make much difference to us but will be an excellent addition to the resort.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
It may not make much difference to us but will be an excellent addition to the resort.
I think that’s right, although I find gondolas a slight PITA as I much prefer to keep my skis on and ride a chairlift. One of those fancy lifts which alternate chair and gondola cabin would have been perfect for me.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
One of those fancy lifts which alternate chair and gondola cabin would have been perfect for me.

Woah - I didn't know about them. Where have you seen that?
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
One of those fancy lifts which alternate chair and gondola cabin would have been perfect for me.

Not many around. It’s a hybrid lift:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_lift
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Not many around. It’s a hybrid lift:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_lift

I like the idea of an Irish Hybrid Lift, which combines a Drag, with Chairlift......It would be very old school, as the mechanism wouldn't stop, with a two-man chair, alternated with a T-Bar - thus combining the worst 2 means of transport used in alpine uplifting. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:

I like the idea of an Irish Hybrid Lift, which combines a Drag, with Chairlift......It would be very old school, as the mechanism wouldn't stop, with a two-man chair, alternated with a T-Bar - thus combining the worst 2 means of transport used in alpine uplifting. Madeye-Smiley
That would be great if it accessed awesome terrain or brilliant snow. The pizza box lift in Niseko is simultaneously the worst and the best chairlift in the world.
latest report
Quote:

It would be very old school, as the mechanism wouldn't stop, with a two-man chair, alternated with a T-Bar - thus combining the worst 2 means of transport used in alpine uplifting.

I like the way you don't even consider single seat chairlifts Smile

To me the worst lifts are telepheriques, but I'm not sure what you would combine them with - perhaps alternating with lobster pots. Or those wierd two person telecabines you get in the Dolomites that don't stop but the lift attentend holds up while you jump min from behind.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, They are not that uncommon. There is one in les 7 laux for example.

Actally thinking about difficult lifts the "slingshots" in Chile
http://youtube.com/v/H7kBtJ8q0Xo take some beating
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

To me the worst lifts are telepheriques, but I'm not sure what you would combine them with - perhaps alternating with lobster pots. Or those wierd two person telecabines you get in the Dolomites that don't stop but the lift attentend holds up while you jump min from behind.

There was such a two man "Egg" in Livigno in the 70s. You got to it up some outside stone steps, which if there was a covering of snow, put a layer on the bottom of your boots.

When you arrived on the "Pier", the attendant took your skis to put on the cabin. The two of you then ran along side and had to hop in. If you were the second one in, you could run out of pier, if the first person messed about. This could then entail a leap, like a flying squirrel....but as your boots had a layer of snow on the soles, your feet went from under you, resulting in a sliding tackle of the other passenger.

Modern skiers don't know their born!.....and FWIW, I did consider a 1 Man Chair, but thought there was more to go wrong if there were two of you. snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-06-21 18:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
If I recall the side entry and exit 2 man chairs in Zakopane were a tad interesting
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
If I recall the side entry and exit 2 man chairs in Zakopane were a tad interesting

Then they sound just the thing for my Irish Hybrid Lift. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
You mean like the old White Lady lift?
latest report
I see VIP are looking to open their new Arc 1950 "chalets" this season :

https://www.vip-chalets.com/resorts/arc-1950/chalets

Artists impressions obviously, as this is the first year of operation, but they do look quite nice.
ski holidays
USPB (Arc1600 to the rest of us) just sent us owners a questionnaire asking in part what they could do to improve the resort. Amongst sensible suggestions such as re purpose the old Cafe Sol and the cinema spaces and building a more attractive bus station at the top of the funicular I did suggest planting some very tall trees to cover up the eyesore called Club Med
snow conditions
@johnE, do you know your village rep on the BSM / Les Arcs "Ambassador Programme" working parties? I can get you names if you don't.
Maybe this was a part of that initiative - they seemed to be doing quite a lot of 'stakeholder engagement' through the winter, but I've not had an update from our rep since February. (note to self to drop her an email...)
snow report
The Funi from Bourg will be closed this summer, there are major issues with the track. Hope it's fixed for the Summer.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/transports/le-rechauffement-climatique-empeche-la-circulation-du-funiculaire-de-bourg-saint-maurice-les-arcs-1625216220?fbclid=IwAR2mxe9diS_0TwIKVPgkZaA0-mgomcFlfcPiMgrd9HCMzDrKjRuwzBxi86Q
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy