Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@thefatcontroller, I got sent some pictures last night. Turns out it was some of the guys I know who work for Coolbus. Lucky beggars.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Email from Les Arcs today saying they have just won a green snowflake award.
Les Arcs obtient le Flocon Vert !
Notre engagement est réel depuis quelques années et le contexte actuel nous confirme que cela doit être une préoccupation constante.
Aujourd’hui, notre destination a été labellisée Flocon Vert. C’est effectivement une bonne nouvelle, cela prouve que nos efforts ont été reconnus dans ce sens.
À nous, maintenant, de transformer l’essai et de proposer des actions durables pour une destination toujours plus responsable.

I have no idea what it means or how they got it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, Seen plenty of yellow snow flakes out there?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, Pretty sure it's something to do with being eco friendly, powering all their snow cannons by renewable energy sources. I remember seeing something about them buying or planning to buy electric piste bashers as well
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, here you go a little bit more info on the award https://www.inthesnow.com/les-arcs-awarded-green-snowflake-environmental-certification/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @wills_h, not a bad article
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like a virtue-signaling badge to deflect green hysteria.

Yes, hundreds of thousands of skiers continue to fly or drive to the resort and burn fuel for heating 24hrs a day and pollute mountains with plastic and wax... but we got a cool green-colored badge, so it's all good snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking for some advice re places around Les Arcs. Planning on spending some time in the Alps (probably next season now), and wanted a place that was on Mountain, but not in the thick of it, kind of a satellite village. I came across VillaRoger when looking at some long term rentals. How accessible is it to the Les Arcs ski area and the wider Paradski area and also Val D'isere and Tignes if I wanted a change of scenary?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FrediKanoute wrote:
Looking for some advice re places around Les Arcs. Planning on spending some time in the Alps (probably next season now), and wanted a place that was on Mountain, but not in the thick of it, kind of a satellite village. I came across VillaRoger when looking at some long term rentals. How accessible is it to the Les Arcs ski area and the wider Paradski area and also Val D'isere and Tignes if I wanted a change of scenary?
Villaroger is nice, but very small and very quiet. It's a part of the Les Arcs ski area, and two or three lifts takes you to the centre of the piste map. As a bonus, the skiing above Villaroger is a good option in very bust weeks as it can be a bit quieter there than other parts of the ski area.

Villaroger is the lowest of the Les Arcs villages, and the snow can be a bit marginal on the final approach to the village at the n=beginning and end of the season if it's been quite warm, but the addition of snow cannons on these pistes has improved the situation a lot.

If you have a car it's a convenient option to get up to La Rosiere, St Foy, Tignes and Val d'Isere, as well as down to Bourg for shopping. Without a car you're really stuck out on a limb and I'd not advise it as a base. The road from Villaroger to the main valley road is narrow, twisty and occasionally steep, so having winter tyres on your car would be a good plan.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, FrediKanoute, I presume you've had a look at the piste map . . . ?
Villaroger is a delightful village right at the far end of Les Arcs - the opposite end to Vanoise Express and La Plagne.
You need at least a couple of rather ancient chairs to get into Les Arcs proper.

For access to Val d'Isere and Tignes you'll need a car, but you are already over a quarter of the way up the hill.

Not my idea of the place to stay, but i'm sure there will be along soon some that think otherwise.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FrediKanoute, Villaroger is connected to Arc 2000 by a couple of slow old liftsand from there it is easy to get to the rest of Paradiski. It is actually a long ski back. Very occaisionally the chairlift out of the 2000 is closed but then they open a tiny drag lift at Pre st Espirit to allow people to return to Villaroger. Though you are not allowed to do, it is possibe to walk up a bit of slope and ski back at any time.

The road connection between Les Arcs and Villaraoger is long and slow. There is no public transport between them. See
http://youtube.com/v/fwnto05elCE for a video showing how difficult the drive is (possible because the car goes part way down then comes back up)

By road Villaroger is closer to the resorts of Tignes, St Foy, Val d'Isere and possibly La Rossiere than Les Arcs.

The resort itslef is very quiet and certainly not "in the thick of it"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought I'd depress myself even more today by looking at the livecams of Les Arcs. The weather looks lovely, the snow great and even signs of piste bashing but no lifts open.
The surprising thing is the number of people about. I've never seen so much sledging (outside the Australian cricket team that is).
They appear to be woking on the pistes. I saw a piste basher on the combettes piste and lots of signs of snow making.
The other intersting bit was at the bottom of the Vagere lift someone seems to discovered that it is permitted to rent out snowmobiles. Toofy Grin
My apartment neighbour is going there next week for a break. I'll ask him what's going on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FrediKanoute, as the others have said Villaroger is a lovely village but it’s a long slow cold ride on several lifts to get out. Better places to spend a winter (and far worse) but if you gave choice then this would be low on list.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote - "..They appear to be woking on the pistes.." -- SnowFlakes..!! you just can't trust them Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, Well, well. I never knew you weren't "allowed" to walk up the couple of hundred metres to get above the drag lift. It is certainly a quicker route when there's a long queue - well, as long as you spot it from far enough away not to cross the road and have to climb back out.

@FrediKanoute, as others have said, Villaroger is a little, "real" village - although it has plans to become a much bigger ski centre - with 3 lifts necessary to get to the Arc 2000 centre. I love the skiing over there: steep and deep, trees, no crowds, good on piste restaurants - Soliere, and at the bottom, La Ferme. It's great on a powder day. It's pretty good on other days too.
And it has the advantage, as above, of being well on the way to Tignes, St Foy and the rest if you have wheels.

Pretty good in the summer too for MTB and walking.

But as a base for exploring all that Paradiski has to offer, it ain't there yet. There were plans to upgrade the lift infrastructure (but may be delayed thanks to "you-know-what" ...) - I'd give it another few years. (OTOH if I was investing in property, there may well be some real bargains right now... hmm).

I guess it depends what you are looking for.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Walking up the piste is allowed what isn't allowed is skiing back down the piste after they have been closed. I suspect meeting a piste basher coming up will result in some cross words. Put another way I would not reccomend having a night out in the fleshpots of Arc 2000 then skiing down Cascade to Pre st Espirit, waking up those few hundred metres of piste and then skiing all the way down to Villaroger by moonlight (though it does sound quite fun).

@Arctic Roll, Do you think you'll get out at all this season? I'm hoping to have a jab sometime in March (I think there are only 13 million in front of me in the queue) and be able to get out in April. Even if the snow is poor just being there is a joy.
snow conditions
I'm in Bourg at the moment, just enjoying the mountains, and watching the kids crash their sledges. Plenty of ski touring going on, as well as some locals still having lessons. Haven't seen the skidoo excursions, but will have a look in the next few days.
ski holidays
@johnE, we're booked for 2 weeks mid-week mid-week, 20 something of March. But it is more in hope than expectation to be honest. I and my family will be behind you in the jab queue, but talking to folks in 1950 today, they are not hopeful of opening the lifts at all - but are fighting for the economic necessity (and lifeblood of the valley) of Feb half term.

And even that's in the lap of the Gods and politicians.

If, IF, we are out simultaneously, fancy a socially-distanced, outdoor, take-away, 15 minute hot chocolate somewhere? Smile
latest report
(French) friends staying in 1950 this week say about 300 people in (of the 2000+ beds) - snow not great (well that's a relief...) but have walked to the top of the Arpette and around to 1600.

Takeaways and the supermarket are open, as well as some of the skishops for hiring snowshoes... but generally at a loss as to what they should be selling/providing. Entertainments are being provided by the village but obviously at a highly reduced level.

Expecting 600 pax next week.

I hope the one thing that will come out of this mess is that we appreciate how lucky we are and all the good stuff in Les Arcs we normally take for granted. Missing it all is sometimes good for the soul.

Merry Christmas everyone, there and here!
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Merry Christmas to you too. They can market it all they want but Les Arcs without lifts isn’t appealing to me. We are booked for March but not sure if that will happen even but the wife is a nurse and on vaccine roll out program so I can see light at the end of the tunnel but summer is more likely for some normality. Astra Zeneca should be signed off next week & that will change things massively.

Anyway here’s to being optimistic & a March ski trip.
ski holidays
Merry Christmas everyone.

Usually I would be out on the slopes this time on Christmas day, so missing it. However, looking at the livecams it is snowing heavily in Les Arcs but sunny here so I suspect I will replace the skiing with a walk. The livecams show a number of people out and about - mainly children on sledges. To me it does't look the sort of day to walk up the top of anything.

@Arctic Roll, It's a fair walk upto the top of the Arpette chairlift from 1950. As for walking from 1950 to 1600. It's a very pleasant walk in the summer but in the winter I'd be very cautious around pre st espirit. I think that was where Robert Blanc died in an avalanche.
snow report
While looking up the death of Robert Blanc I came across this article on why Les Arcs almost ceased to exist in 1981.

https://www.witpress.com/Secure/elibrary/papers/RM09/RM09015FU1.pdf

As I was working in this very area of research at that time I really should have been aware of this paper.
ski holidays
Sadly we can't go out next week but my niece & her partner who live in Geneva is going to take our apartment for the week. Quick question, the funicular is not running but there is a bus running from Bourg to 1600 in its place? The les Arcs website says the funni is running? Anyone know the timetable and how much it is for her?

Also I assume the gondola between 2000 and 1950 is shut so if you wan to go shopping in 1950 (The Huit a Huit is way better than the Sherpa in 2000) is it walk down the slopes and bus back?
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, here's a translation of the message from the 1950 ASL last week:

Specifically, Les Arcs will close from Sunday 3 January until the ski area reopens for financial reasons.

This will result in the suppression of the following services:
. no shuttle service between Bourg St Maurice station and Les Arcs,
. no opening of the funicular,
. no inter-station shuttles (Arc 1600 - Arc 1800 - Arc 1950 - Arc 2000),
. no reception / tourist offices on the 4 sites of Les Arcs.

As far as ski touring is concerned, a groomed piste will be proposed in Arc 1800. For pedestrians or snowshoe hikers, the Chemin des Espagnols between Arc 1600 and Peisey Vallandry will also be groomed.

A doctor's surgery will be open in Arc 1600 or Arc 1800 (to be confirmed by the Town Hall). The fire brigade will be present at Arc 1600 and the Gendarmerie will be in Bourg St Maurice.

With regard to the reopening of the ski area, the Management of ADS has specified that it is awaiting a position from the Government next week with regard to the opening, on 7 January. Whatever the decision that will be taken by the Government, it has stated that the ADS teams are ready for a reopening of the ski area, even if the date should be postponed to the end of January or later.

I also know that the 8a8 *is* open in 1950, but as you say, no Cabriolet, so suspect it will need to be a car ride to shop there. Or a walk down and up the pistes...
ski holidays
I got back at the weekend, and the Funni wasn't running during the Christmas and New Year break, shuttles had been provided, but as Artic Roll says above, this was all due to stop on the 4th Jan if they didn't have confirmation of anything opening up.
snow report
@Gilly76, @Arctic Roll, Jez, sounds bleak, will pass on the info, they are happy just to go walking and have booked a taxi up from Bourg.
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, I am sure they will enjoy the fresh air, the scenery and the walking
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, huit a huit and other food shops in 1950 now closed... one restaurant, Vache Rouge, doing takeaways +33 (0) 7 52 69 99 69 .
Suggestion is to stock up in BsM prior to coming up the mountain.
PnV stopped selling apartments until at least 20th Jan.
hohum
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, Cancelled trip in the end, too much closed. No buses running, nothing.
snow report
Anyone else watches the webcast from the Les Arcs tourist board this evening? My French isn't all that it could be but what I gleaned was:
In short - the earliest the lifts will open, if at all, is 15th March. However the domain is still open for guests meantime.

They will establish a touring route, plus pedestrian and snowshoeing routes in each part of the domain. Maps will be available at all tourist info kiosks.
There will be kiddy sledging in each village.
There will be ski school for the tots in each village.
There will be some outdoor entertainments but obviously taking into account social distancing etc. ( I think I heard them say that the Big Air event planned for 6/7th Feb will go ahead in the Snowpark above 1800, but streamed to view).
Comms will continue via the website and social media, plus a TV advertising campaign.
It will cost about €100k per week to put this lot on (securing the routes etc.): losses to the town for the season estimated at €5.5m
I got the impression that the navettes will start running again between villages from 6th Feb. (I could be mistaken on that tho')
I didn't get what they are doing about refunding season tickets (sorry about that).
Shop, bar, restaurant restrictions are as per the national situation.

So add all this to the new restrictions announced via the FCO site (travellers UK => FR must have a PCR test - not just a lateral flow - and spend 7 days in quarantine, and then take another PCR, plus the attestations about the purpose of the journey and that you've not been in contact with a +ive person, nor have any symptoms) I'm thinking: 2022 here we come...
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, Yep I’m 1% convinced we will be skiing mid March and that’s being optimistic.
latest report
Feeling sad we have only been able to use our apartment once since purchasing in December 2019 (we went Christmas 2019) but feeling infinitely more sad about the current state of the world and all those affected by this horrible virus. We had (very optimistically!) booked the Euro Tunnel and lift passes in September for the first 2 weeks of April 2021, but will soon be cancelling these.
Hoping for better times in 2022.
Stay safe and well everyone x
ski holidays
@X5OT76, Where is your apartment?
latest report
H du G (1950)
snow conditions
Very sad news at the weekend of the death of a ski instructor in an avalanche on the face to skiers right of the Bois de l'ours chair. Crying or Very sad

I have posted photos of the different routes we have been doing during the last week over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you are interested in seeing the current condirions. There are also links to other details released by Les Arcs for the coming school holidays if France does not go into a full lockdown! Puzzled

Right now there is a lot of snow around and you can ski all the way to Bourg. We hope to do it again tomorrow. Another update coming soon.

https://m.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter
ski holidays
For the sad webcam geeks, Toofy Grin Laughing they have taken the live Arc 2000 webcam off the main Les Arcs website but it is still running on Youtube.

http://youtube.com/v/84-TQiEpYds
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, thanks for that. There is a lot of snow around the domain at the moment but it looks wet and heavy. I have a look at the vagere live cam quite often and I'm always suprised by the number of people walking about
ski holidays
@johnE, I hear numbers are around 5-10% of normal numbers, must be owners as can't understand the point of going otherwise. I suppose as normal grooming of slopes and clearing of lift areas is taking place that the area looks much snowier than normal.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, Since we couldn't go over Christmas/New Year my neighbour in Arc 1600 asked us if he could borrow our apartment for some of his friends to stay in. I suspect he just wanted to get away into the mountains with some friends for skinning. He has made no enquiries about the rest of the season but I suspect he may have gone to Les Arcs for a few weekends to explore the mountains. In fact I suspect he has visited quite a few times.
ski holidays
Yes it is official. The Funicular from Bourg to Arc 1600 will open tomorrow and should remain open during the French school holidays. Other news is that the free bus service between the different Les Arcs stations will also begin again tomorrow.

There will be various activities for all ages in each station and there will also be a bus service linking the Cross country area above Nancoix to the main stations. See the Les Arcs web page for all details.

https://en.lesarcs.com

The most annoying news, if true is that some chair lifts will be running, but normal ski pass holders will not be allowed to use them.

They will only be open for those on formation or group training courses, so if you had signed up in advance for a course such as Ski Race club or Freeski then they get to use the lifts which are open. Is this fair to everyone else that has already paid for a lift pass?!

Maybe time for a good debate! I will confirm what is really happening tomorrow.

The Freestyle competition begins tomorrow with finals on Sunday.

https://en.lesarcs.com/to-do-in-les-arcs/evenements-hiver/les-arcs-lauchpad.html

There is plenty of snow around, but today we skinned up to the top of the Transarc in the Arc 2000 bowl. Then skied down to Pre Esprit. The pistes were really nice and empty. Just a couple of pistuers around. But with the rain/snow level at around 2000m the Off Pistes was rubbish in most places. Crusty, wet and icy all at the same time depending on the aspect. I was lucky and skied down behind a piste basher on perfect pistes from Arc 2000 down to the Pre Esprit bus stop.

If you want to see the photos from the last few days plus this weekend. Check out the Les Arcs Winter facebook page on Sunday evening.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy