Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving at new year?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
James77 wrote:
... fully loaded (kids, gear, skis on roof) I only get about 300 or so to a tank ...

You'll get a better range if you put the kids and gear inside!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
has anyone got a map or a link of where the automatic / unmanned fuel pumps are?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ajc2260626, Do you need to stay on the autoroute ? Most supermarkets have some automatic pumps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought people meant the auto ones you get on the autoroute where there’s just a couple of pumps in the middle of nowhere as ive used them a couple of times in the past Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do note that Germany has now added Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and northern England to its list of high risk areas requiring quarantine. The regulations in many German states would prevent anyone who has been in such areas in the previous 14 days checking into to a hotel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fingers crossed that by the season starts then numbers will be down,

out of interest how would anyone know which part of the uk you had come from? Also where does northern England start ? Puzzled and how would they know who had being anywhere in the last 14 days? Ridonculous Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It has been defined as North East, North West and Yorkshire & Humber which I presume matches up with some UK government regions. You would have to give your home address when registering in a hotel, if that is in one of the high risk areas then you would not be allowed to stay. The question about how anyone would know where you had been applies equally to the German regs as they do to the UK ones. Unless the numbers come down all round difficult to see how UK based folk are going to be able to drive through Germany for skiing holidays but who knows what will happen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajc2260626, Carry a couple of credit cards. I don't think that I've come across a pre-pay pump that'll accept a UK debit card. Places like Carrefour Markets etc have unmanned fuel pumps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What ones do they take ? I have Amex and MasterCard
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GeorgeVII wrote:
@ajc2260626, Carry a couple of credit cards. I don't think that I've come across a pre-pay pump that'll accept a UK debit card. Places like Carrefour Markets etc have unmanned fuel pumps.
That’s not my experience. Typically I carry my First Direct Visa Debit card and my Amex card. Amex fails from time to time in France, including at petrol pumps with card readers, but I don’t think I’ve ever had a situation where my debit card has failed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
GeorgeVII wrote:
That’s not my experience. Typically I carry my First Direct Visa Debit card and my Amex card. Amex fails from time to time in France, including at petrol pumps with card readers, but I don’t think I’ve ever had a situation where my debit card has failed.

When un manned pumps first came into use in France they rarely accepted any UK issued cards. The situation gradually improved over a decade or two and its many years since we came across a pump that we could not use. However they may still exist, especially if you are well off the beaten track in a remote area that still has old pumps.

Don`t leave filling up till the last few drops in your tank in case you need to move on Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajc2260626 wrote:
I thought people meant the auto' ones you get on the autoroute, where there’s just a couple of pumps in the middle of nowhere, as I've used them a couple of times in the past Very Happy

In my case, I was describing our journey to the Swiss Alps in August when we re-fuelled at autoroute service stations. We used one on the way down and two back up, and they all had pumps with a card machine. However, not all the pumps had readers - at one I had to reverse out to an adjacent pump because I'd assumed all the pumps had readers. In Switzerland, the local village 24h unmanned pump happily took my credit card, although it also took CHF notes as well.

My recollection was that they all had a spray/wipes at each pump but I also had gel handy. If you were really worried you could buy a packet of single-use gloves - you'd only be throwing away 2-3 pairs. I have to say that I can't see how they possibly manage to keep the pump handles sterile, however often they go out to clean them. Although at one service station, there were two people who were wiping-down the pumps so perhaps it's the case that service station pumps are actually more sterile than unmanned ones.

I've taken to filling-up at the Ashford Shell garage on Jct.11 on the M20, just before the Eurotunnel exit. It only takes about 15 minutes and means that the point where I need to think about refilling on the A5 is the same every trip.

Because my car's got a relatively small tank, I carry a 5L petrol can for longer journeys. Checking with Eurotunnel, you're allowed to take a metal petrol can up to 20L with you without declaring it (plastic 10L). I use one of the 'safe' ones with a honeycomb inside, designed to prevent vapour explosions if they're damaged (Google 'Wavian Explo-safe'). This helps reduce the anxiety over any issues with problems at my chosen petrol refill point.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 6-10-20 10:49; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We’ve had no issues with U.K. issued credit cards for years, Visa or MasterCard. It did used to be a bit hit and miss a few years back.

Virtually all motorway and supermarket filling stations have some pay at pump.

My car is diesel and the pumps are generally filthy so the diesel and Covid solution is the same. Disposable plastic glove on before using card reader or pump. I liberate half a dozen from the dispenser when I see them and keep them in the door pocket. Zero cost. Backup plan - paper towel, also handy for wiping off diesel drips - it really is filthy stuff.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy